Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 9 years ago by bigato1010.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you spend MORE/LESS money on tickets if your state changed from ball drawings to computerized?

I would spend MORE money on tickets [ 10 ]  [5.05%]
I would spend LESS money on tickets [ 142 ]  [71.72%]
I would not change the amount I spend on tickets [ 46 ]  [23.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 198 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23273 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2007, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

No problem Jim, I just wanted to be sure that people knew which one to choose in that situation.  Keep up the good work, I'm completely enjoying your posts.  Very well versed indeed!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
    Member #48046
    December 7, 2006
    1699 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2007, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Since Tn. Lotto 5 switched to computer draws,

It's been less than my usual $2 dollars (if I played it)

I have taken note of them (for some odd reason) ...the draws,

I think, so far, there have been 13 draws.... and there have been 6 numbers not drawn yet.

Anyway..... there's been some really crazy looking draws compared to Ball draws. 

Of the numbers not drawn yet... 4 or 5 of them are in one little cluster.

By the way.... I'm not gone, ......just busy at work, and no computer time latelyThud 

United States
      Member #49805
      February 15, 2007
      412 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2007, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

Hardware lean condition so wait, TN got Super computer + Super Hacker + My Super brain Power Big Grin

no more old style.  New Style New Number to hit .... G-Luck

Grand Rapids, Michigan
        United States
        Member #53008
        June 19, 2007
        67 Posts
        Posted: August 30, 2007, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

As long as Mega Millions never goes computerized, I'm fine since that's the only one I play.  You don't think the Mega Millions or Powerball could ever go computerized, do you??

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
          Just outside of Cleveland, OH
          United States
          Member #54079
          August 3, 2007
          106 Posts
          Posted: August 30, 2007, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

i have spent less!

you hear that mrs. hargraves or mrs. paul are whatever your name is this week.that new husband of yours has you making bad decisions......

isn't hargraves the last name of the man who gets his head chopped off for being so evil and mean at the end of the movie slingblade by karl childers?

It must be, as there is such a pronounced family resemblance

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2007, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

i have spent less!

you hear that mrs. hargraves or mrs. paul are whatever your name is this week.that new husband of yours has you making bad decisions......

isn't hargraves the last name of the man who gets his head chopped off for being so evil and mean at the end of the movie slingblade by karl childers?

I like them french fried potatoes, mm mm

How much ye want fer em ?

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7314 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2007, 6:59 pm - IP Logged

Please answer "LESS" if you would not spend anything after the switch.  (Assuming you spend something today.)

Ohio's new Ten-Oh game is computerized but it's the type of game that I believe falls into the grey area because even if it was ball drawn, they still wouldn't show the live drawing because of time restraints.

However games like Pick-3 and Pick-4 have always been ball drawn, including the Midday draws that are not shown live. The Evening drawings have become a tradition where people will reach for the remote at 7:25 PM and since the very first Pick-3 draw in 1979, players watched 3 sets of numbered balls from 0 - 9 mixing in a clear bingo type machines. The same process was used when Pick-4, Lotto, and Rolling Cash 5 games came online too. When the Kicker became part of Lotto, on the nights when it was drawn, there were 13 of the bingo type machines on the set.

It's obvious that cutting costs was the reason Tennessee went to computerized drawings but they were oblivious to the affect it would have on the Pick-3 which has traditionally been a strong sales base in most other states. The Pick-3 represents about 17% of all Ohio lottery sales, but that doesn't account for the Pick-3 players that buy QPs on the other games when the jackpots are high or an occasional scratch-off. I can't think of one logical reason for that sales total go up if they changed to a computerized draw. At best they could cross their fingers and hope sales didn't decrease below the money they would save by switching.

Florida must be thinking about switching to a computer but maybe they will change their minds after what happened in Tennessee. Besides they had enough problems with hanging chads; do they really want another reason for the rest of the country to laugh at them?

fbird's avatar - nw archer.jpg
                White Lake,Mi
                United States
                Member #1495
                May 12, 2003
                5546 Posts
                Posted: September 1, 2007, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Not only spend less, I would quit playing.

I Agree!

Thats why I rarely play keno,classic lotto6/47 or cash 5 here in michigan as those are computer drawn.....way to easy to control the numbers or pay out ...if the daily 3 and 4 went to computer drawn I would not play them as well..........

VAL

Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me: I may not follow.

Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Albert Camus

L J1's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #54181
                  August 8, 2007
                  123 Posts
                  Posted: September 2, 2007, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

i have spent less!

Hey Lottto Mike.....lol

Dude.... do they have any of those brief cases of money for sale at K-mart?

I'd... like to get me one!

I voted, spending wouldn't change much; for the fact that I don't spend that much now. However, I would still play systems in general, just to see how patterns form. OK.... maybeee.... I'll kick in a few bucks here & there for easy picks or (quick picks) depending on what state's game I'm playing. 

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7314 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2007, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Assuming your state uses mechanical ball drawings currently, woudl your spending habits change if your state changed to computerized drawings?

Please indicate what effect the change from ball drawings to computerized drawings would have by choosing one of the three poll choices above.

Also, please participate in the other two polls posted.

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings
                    http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161745

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings
                    You are currently viewing this poll

POLL 3 of 3: Switching to mechanical ball drawings
                    http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161743

The problem with switching from ball to computer drawings is that lotteries with fixed payouts and can lose money on some outcomes. And as we saw in Tennessee, computers can be programmed so only certain combinations will come out.

When people go to race tracks they can see how much money is being bet on each horse or dog. Some lotteries publish how much was wagered and paid off on the games, but we'll never know how much was wagered on each losing combination.  Race track profits don't depend on which horse or dogs wins because the payoffs are pari-mutual, but lotteries with fixed payouts can lose money on some outcomes.

As we saw in Pennsylvania a few years ago, ball drawings can be rigged and getting caught was probably the only thing preventing them from trying it again. But this was done to benefit individuals and not the PA lottery.

When we read about a state going to "an exciting new computerized draw" to increase profits for education, we have to ask how. Do they really believe more people will play when they can't see a live drawing?

We can't say for a fact the computer drawings will be rigged but that possibility will always exist.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8363 Posts
                      Posted: September 15, 2007, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

The problem with switching from ball to computer drawings is that lotteries with fixed payouts and can lose money on some outcomes. And as we saw in Tennessee, computers can be programmed so only certain combinations will come out.

When people go to race tracks they can see how much money is being bet on each horse or dog. Some lotteries publish how much was wagered and paid off on the games, but we'll never know how much was wagered on each losing combination.  Race track profits don't depend on which horse or dogs wins because the payoffs are pari-mutual, but lotteries with fixed payouts can lose money on some outcomes.

As we saw in Pennsylvania a few years ago, ball drawings can be rigged and getting caught was probably the only thing preventing them from trying it again. But this was done to benefit individuals and not the PA lottery.

When we read about a state going to "an exciting new computerized draw" to increase profits for education, we have to ask how. Do they really believe more people will play when they can't see a live drawing?

We can't say for a fact the computer drawings will be rigged but that possibility will always exist.

Getting caught was the best the best thing to happened for ball drawings because it set up additional security procedures and protocols where by the lottery's conducts live mechanical drawings.

Those procedures cant be checked as easily with RNG drawings as i don't know where they are going to find computer programmers and technicians who are going to be able to decipher the code, it's program and it's internal component's for every draw.  And one who's not going to be a part of any tampering that may or not be done for any given drawing.

If states don't want to conduct real live mechanical drawings using balls then they should stop selling lottery tickets and find another way to generate money for the state.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7314 Posts
                        Posted: September 16, 2007, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Getting caught was the best the best thing to happened for ball drawings because it set up additional security procedures and protocols where by the lottery's conducts live mechanical drawings.

Those procedures cant be checked as easily with RNG drawings as i don't know where they are going to find computer programmers and technicians who are going to be able to decipher the code, it's program and it's internal component's for every draw.  And one who's not going to be a part of any tampering that may or not be done for any given drawing.

If states don't want to conduct real live mechanical drawings using balls then they should stop selling lottery tickets and find another way to generate money for the state.

When I can see 3 sets of numbered balls mixing in three compartments, I know there is very little or no chance of the outcome being predetermined. But when I read where pressing the "U" key or "R" key can determine the outcome, how can anybody looking me in the eye and say for a fact it's a random draw?

Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #53955
                          July 28, 2007
                          3 Posts
                          Posted: September 23, 2007, 11:36 am - IP Logged

The Indiana lottery has switched to computerized drawing sometime ago. I firmly believe that the computer picks out all the numbers that have not been picked by players and then chooses the winning numbers from those numbers. The Hoosier lotto will have gone over a year by 10/21/07 if no one hits the jackpot by then. It is just ubelievable that the jackpot hasn't been hit at least once by now. Any other comments.

Maybe the Indiana Attorney general needs to look into this complaint.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23273 Posts
                            Posted: October 8, 2007, 11:19 am - IP Logged

The Indiana lottery has switched to computerized drawing sometime ago. I firmly believe that the computer picks out all the numbers that have not been picked by players and then chooses the winning numbers from those numbers. The Hoosier lotto will have gone over a year by 10/21/07 if no one hits the jackpot by then. It is just ubelievable that the jackpot hasn't been hit at least once by now. Any other comments.

Maybe the Indiana Attorney general needs to look into this complaint.

Welcome to Lottery Post, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I hope you'll do some serious searching of past posts here, because there are MANY posts on the subject of unfair Indiana Lottery practices.

Something does appear to be amiss, and Indiana has had its share of corruption scandals, so you may be on to something.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Captain Lotto's avatar - CaptLotto
                              Jefferson City, MO
                              United States
                              Member #55250
                              September 20, 2007
                              97 Posts
                              Posted: November 1, 2007, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

How does the Lottery benefit from NOT awarding a jackpot?  It's not like the workers get to split the money.  What's the scam? 

Captain Lotto

"Every day is a good day!"