Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 9 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you prefer computerized drawings or mechanical ball machine drawings?

Computerized drawings [ 17 ]  [7.26%]
Mechanical ball machine drawings [ 217 ]  [92.74%]
Total Valid Votes [ 234 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23259 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2007, 10:22 am - IP Logged

I know there have been many polls like this before, but let's do a fresh poll, to find out what the current feelings of lottery players are.  I'd appreciate as much participation as possible, no matter what your viewpoint is.

Please indicate your preference as to what type of lottery drawings your prefer —

• Computerized drawings, which use a computer system to generate random numbers.  Some computerized states show the results in an animated cartoon sequence, and other computerized states have dropped television productions.
  • Mechanical ball drawings, which use a bin or tub to mix numbered ping pong balls or hard rubber balls, and from which the winning numbers are drawn.  Most ball drawings are broadcast on television live or taped and shown later.

Enter one choice or the other, even if you are swayed ever so slightly one way or the other.

You may enter a comment as well, but it is optional.

Also, please participate in the other two polls posted.

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings
You are currently viewing this poll

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings
http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161744

POLL 3 of 3: Switching to mechanical ball drawings
http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161743

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5893 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2007, 11:27 am - IP Logged

There's no doubt in my mind about this!!!  Even tho, I believe that test draws distorts the stats, like Fla does.

Balls

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2007, 11:35 am - IP Logged

IMHO if a state wants to run a lottery that is fair & random, it should have the balls to do it!

Smiley

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
        Member #28409
        December 15, 2005
        1198 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2007, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

IMHO if a state wants to run a lottery that is fair & random, it should have the balls to do it!

Smiley

lol ! Yes!!!

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2007, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Ball machine.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Sulphur LA
            United States
            Member #18
            December 6, 2001
            183 Posts
            Posted: August 28, 2007, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I moved from Texas to Louisiana two years ago.  Texas uses balls.  LA is computerized.  None of the systems I used in Texas work in LA.  Wins here are few and far between.  None of  the systems I used in Texas work here - they don't even come close.  I play much less.

Noodle

Columbia City, Indiana
              United States
              Member #2978
              December 9, 2003
              381 Posts
              Posted: August 28, 2007, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I think I've made my position very clear on this subject. Aside from the very valid argument that they're more easily and undetectably compromised, using computers to draw lottery numbers removes an essential element from all of the games. We enjoy the excitement of watching the balls blow around inside the hoppers, watching our numbers roll out one by one and, most of all, anticipating that final number while our hearts pound so hard we think we'll pass out or die.

Now, that's exciting; that's a real lottery drawing.

I've watched tens of thousands of true lottery drawings over the years, and I don't remember thinking, even once, "Gee, I wish these drawings were more technologically advanced." Funny thing is, I've never seen even ONE drawing made by a computer. I've seen animated images of computer drawings that were made to look like they were drawn using balls, but I've never seen the actual drawing in real time.

I wish someone would apply this wonderful technology to a game that would cause the general public to see what we've seen. I wish some sports team owner would wake up and realize that he could save hundreds of millions of dollars per year just by creating and organizing virtual football or basketball teams. No more injuries; no more scandals and no more multi-million dollar player contracts. My God; why NOT do it? NASCAR sponsors and owners could also save scads of money by turning live races into video games, as they've done with these virtual lottery drawings. 

Just because new technology is available for a given application does not necessarily indicate that it can or should be adopted. We have the technology to enable our government to know, at any given moment, what ANYONE in the country is doing, even while they're inside their own homes. Does this mean we should allow them to do it? We have the technology and means to decimate every other country in the world. Why isn't this technology being utilized? These are extreme examples, to be sure, but here's one more: We have the technology to grow staple crops in pure desert sand. I don't have to ask why this technology isn't being employed, because I already know the answer. It costs 27% more to grow corn or soybeans in hot sand than it does to grow it in soil in a less-hostile climate, thus negating any potential profit (wheat costs 18% more to grow in the desert but, for some reason, sand-grown wheat yields 6% more grain per acre).

So far, with the lone exception of the very first state to convert to using an RNG (I think it was Connecticut, but I wouldn't swear to it), every other state lottery that has embraced these machines has made the same comment: "Other states are already using this technology, and it's important that we keep up with industry trends."

I'm waiting for the day when a lottery public relations spokesman says, "Well, other state lottery directors were jumping off bridges, so ..."

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: August 28, 2007, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

i've got a very interesting question for everyone here....

who started this computerized nonsense?  what state had the first RNG?  Whoever started this trend of RNG should be hung with no chance of being pardoned for this terrible mistake that threatens lotteries like a bad uncurable cancer.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                  nashville
                  United States
                  Member #49896
                  February 18, 2007
                  1181 Posts
                  Posted: August 28, 2007, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

i voted for BALLS. bring tennessee back our BALLS.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5113 Posts
                    Posted: August 28, 2007, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Smiley

Had to vote for the BALL's on this WON>>>>>justxploring::::::::::::

BUTtttttttttttttt & yes there is alway's a BUTT out there somewhere,

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

how do we factor in the women who "R".....RUINING D LOTTERY?

?????????.."RING "

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: August 28, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

I think I've made my position very clear on this subject. Aside from the very valid argument that they're more easily and undetectably compromised, using computers to draw lottery numbers removes an essential element from all of the games. We enjoy the excitement of watching the balls blow around inside the hoppers, watching our numbers roll out one by one and, most of all, anticipating that final number while our hearts pound so hard we think we'll pass out or die.

Now, that's exciting; that's a real lottery drawing.

I've watched tens of thousands of true lottery drawings over the years, and I don't remember thinking, even once, "Gee, I wish these drawings were more technologically advanced." Funny thing is, I've never seen even ONE drawing made by a computer. I've seen animated images of computer drawings that were made to look like they were drawn using balls, but I've never seen the actual drawing in real time.

I wish someone would apply this wonderful technology to a game that would cause the general public to see what we've seen. I wish some sports team owner would wake up and realize that he could save hundreds of millions of dollars per year just by creating and organizing virtual football or basketball teams. No more injuries; no more scandals and no more multi-million dollar player contracts. My God; why NOT do it? NASCAR sponsors and owners could also save scads of money by turning live races into video games, as they've done with these virtual lottery drawings. 

Just because new technology is available for a given application does not necessarily indicate that it can or should be adopted. We have the technology to enable our government to know, at any given moment, what ANYONE in the country is doing, even while they're inside their own homes. Does this mean we should allow them to do it? We have the technology and means to decimate every other country in the world. Why isn't this technology being utilized? These are extreme examples, to be sure, but here's one more: We have the technology to grow staple crops in pure desert sand. I don't have to ask why this technology isn't being employed, because I already know the answer. It costs 27% more to grow corn or soybeans in hot sand than it does to grow it in soil in a less-hostile climate, thus negating any potential profit (wheat costs 18% more to grow in the desert but, for some reason, sand-grown wheat yields 6% more grain per acre).

So far, with the lone exception of the very first state to convert to using an RNG (I think it was Connecticut, but I wouldn't swear to it), every other state lottery that has embraced these machines has made the same comment: "Other states are already using this technology, and it's important that we keep up with industry trends."

I'm waiting for the day when a lottery public relations spokesman says, "Well, other state lottery directors were jumping off bridges, so ..."

Excellent commentary and analogies. I Agree!

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: August 29, 2007, 2:49 am - IP Logged

It doesn't matter to me, i like each one either way...I've said before that it doesn't matter if you are using RNG or Balls machine is how high you set the odds that matter...I wish they put the lottery machines in a squared  or cylindrical candy machine or machine that looks like a blender  (all of them with the same dimensions) and perhaps mix some bigger balls with a lot of smaller balls...I'll be so happy the day they ever do that....If they change to RNG i wouldn't care...The day they make pick3 and give you money for matching 1 or 2 numbers of pick3 and the day they set pick4 just like Massachussetts' Number game  in EVERY STATE then i'll be happy...

"The Truth is Out There"......                    from movie "The X-Files"

sfilippo's avatar - skull
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #33770
                          February 24, 2006
                          3146 Posts
                          Posted: August 29, 2007, 5:58 am - IP Logged

Okay, don't flog me here, but I chose Computerized drawings because that would open up possibilities that maybe it would be possible to create a system that could get hits more often than trying to guess the machine ball outcome.

Seems I've heard that it's pretty tough to actually write a true RNG program and maybe players could spot a rythmn or glitch and take advantage of it.

The outcome of a Mechanical ball machine is pretty tough to unravel in my opinion. Maybe I'd have better luck with RNG's.

Smiley Steve

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                            ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                            United States
                            Member #4924
                            June 3, 2004
                            5893 Posts
                            Posted: August 29, 2007, 7:09 am - IP Logged

Okay, don't flog me here, but I chose Computerized drawings because that would open up possibilities that maybe it would be possible to create a system that could get hits more often than trying to guess the machine ball outcome.

Seems I've heard that it's pretty tough to actually write a true RNG program and maybe players could spot a rythmn or glitch and take advantage of it.

The outcome of a Mechanical ball machine is pretty tough to unravel in my opinion. Maybe I'd have better luck with RNG's.

I'm not flogging you Steve, let's take this example. What if, 5 or 10 minutes from draw time. They do a check, find the the number with the least sales, then generate that number with a few lines of code change. Do you think that could happen or how many times has it really happen and the public will never know. When a lottery official starts using the word "integrity", beware.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: August 29, 2007, 7:49 am - IP Logged

I'm not flogging you Steve, let's take this example. What if, 5 or 10 minutes from draw time. They do a check, find the the number with the least sales, then generate that number with a few lines of code change. Do you think that could happen or how many times has it really happen and the public will never know. When a lottery official starts using the word "integrity", beware.

i think some of these computerized states do this.they check and see the number bet on least and like rebecca paul hargrove said 'maximize profit'.i just realized something thanks to carbob.i should've thought about it sooner.think about it everyone.rebecca hargrove said tennessee was trying to 'maximize profit' which means the winning number every night in tennessee is the one bet on the least and therefore they maximize their profit because they are paying out on the least bet number.hell they aren't even trying to hide it in tennessee they are admiting it.i'm done with tennessee except for powerball for now.