Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 9 years ago by scorpio.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you prefer computerized drawings or mechanical ball machine drawings?

Computerized drawings [ 17 ]  [7.26%]
Mechanical ball machine drawings [ 217 ]  [92.74%]
Total Valid Votes [ 234 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
rainbow lake
Canada
Member #25177
November 2, 2005
10764 Posts
Posted: September 13, 2007, 8:50 am - IP Logged

I know there have been many polls like this before, but let's do a fresh poll, to find out what the current feelings of lottery players are.  I'd appreciate as much participation as possible, no matter what your viewpoint is.

Please indicate your preference as to what type of lottery drawings your prefer —

• Computerized drawings, which use a computer system to generate random numbers.  Some computerized states show the results in an animated cartoon sequence, and other computerized states have dropped television productions.
  • Mechanical ball drawings, which use a bin or tub to mix numbered ping pong balls or hard rubber balls, and from which the winning numbers are drawn.  Most ball drawings are broadcast on television live or taped and shown later.

Enter one choice or the other, even if you are swayed ever so slightly one way or the other.

You may enter a comment as well, but it is optional.

Also, please participate in the other two polls posted.

You are currently viewing this poll

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings
http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161744

POLL 3 of 3: Switching to mechanical ball drawings
http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161743

Has anyone proved that one is more/less predictable than the other?

or is it a trust issue?

Secret to $uccess=Law of Attraction

stillbroke's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    South Bend, IN
    United States
    Member #55131
    September 13, 2007
    1 Posts
    Posted: September 13, 2007, 10:03 am - IP Logged

I am an Indiana resident who has played our state lottery since it's inception. We used to have a televised drawing, but no more. I was informed a few weeks ago that we had gone to the computerized drawing.  Though I'm not 100% sure of this, it seems to make sense.  Indiana's lotto has never exceeded the $20 million dollar range, if I'm not mistaken, and now we're posting a $47 million jackpot.  With the ball drawing the winning numbers were readily available, though winning tickets were not announced until the following day, presumably because the system took overnight to scan for winning tickets. So, I'm wondering, if the drawing is computerized, it could be delayed until all the bets were in. Then the computer could choose from all the leftover combinations that weren't played, and nobody would hit the jackpot. Well, as with all lotteries, when no one hits the jackpot grows, people play more for the larger jackpot, and the state rakes in even bigger profits. Indiana's lotto increases only $500,000 per drawing, no matter what the jackpot or how much more sales are generated. So they are pocketing a fortune the past 40-some weeks. With this much money coming in, they don't want a winner! Not to mention the fact that our governor is trying to contract the lotto to some investor. ( The same way he did our toll road ). Could it be the state is trying to impress this investor with the possibilities of HUGE profits? Or do they just intend to squeeze us for as long as they can?  Anyway, I smell a rat........

stillbroke

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
      rainbow lake
      Canada
      Member #25177
      November 2, 2005
      10764 Posts
      Posted: September 13, 2007, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

I am an Indiana resident who has played our state lottery since it's inception. We used to have a televised drawing, but no more. I was informed a few weeks ago that we had gone to the computerized drawing.  Though I'm not 100% sure of this, it seems to make sense.  Indiana's lotto has never exceeded the $20 million dollar range, if I'm not mistaken, and now we're posting a $47 million jackpot.  With the ball drawing the winning numbers were readily available, though winning tickets were not announced until the following day, presumably because the system took overnight to scan for winning tickets. So, I'm wondering, if the drawing is computerized, it could be delayed until all the bets were in. Then the computer could choose from all the leftover combinations that weren't played, and nobody would hit the jackpot. Well, as with all lotteries, when no one hits the jackpot grows, people play more for the larger jackpot, and the state rakes in even bigger profits. Indiana's lotto increases only $500,000 per drawing, no matter what the jackpot or how much more sales are generated. So they are pocketing a fortune the past 40-some weeks. With this much money coming in, they don't want a winner! Not to mention the fact that our governor is trying to contract the lotto to some investor. ( The same way he did our toll road ). Could it be the state is trying to impress this investor with the possibilities of HUGE profits? Or do they just intend to squeeze us for as long as they can?  Anyway, I smell a rat........

We hav 50% cp drawings in W.C

The systems are stand alone ( the tickets sold) The number drawn 2 machines not tied in together.

Secret to $uccess=Law of Attraction

dover delaware
        United States
        Member #4466
        April 26, 2004
        1191 Posts
        Posted: September 13, 2007, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

i for one hate computerized drawings..delaware has computerized drawings and they cheat so badly it is pitiful..why i still play i will never know..at least when they had the ball drawings you had a half a chance ..not so with computerized drawaings..delaware cheats and cheats...it is a sorry state of affairs when a state does that...oh well..there time will come...lesonook

LottoMining's avatar - lightbulb
          California
          United States
          Member #48843
          January 11, 2007
          27 Posts
          Posted: September 23, 2007, 9:20 am - IP Logged

I’ll vote in favor of the computerized draws due to the theory (or just my belief) that the random number generator is not completely random and the occasional patterns can be tracked for profit.  California’s Fantasy 5 used to be mechanical balls in the hopper though they switched to computerized at some point in ’88.   Here’s an interesting test when looking at the data sets for the early mechanical and later computer draw methods.  I built a database table that has the frequency of the 39 numbers, where each day it looks at the last 6 draws and gets the count for each.  Between 9/8/07 and 9/3/07, the 32 was picked 5 times in six draws in CA’s F5.  I’ve noticed other predictable trends when that (5/6) happens so I ran a query against the total dataset going back to ’92.  I found that in the era of computerized draws, the machine had almost twice the number of instances of a number hitting 5 times in 6 draws.  

An example where it may have been rigged: on 11/25/00 all 5 numbers in CA’s F5 repeated from 10 draws back (11/15/00) and something like 26 or 28 people matched all 5 numbers.  That made me wonder if there may have been an inside job or some kind of fix.  Anyone in California can verify the 11/15/00 and 11/25/00 "anomaly" by asking the retailer for a printout.

Indiana
            United States
            Member #53955
            July 28, 2007
            3 Posts
            Posted: September 23, 2007, 11:48 am - IP Logged

We hav 50% cp drawings in W.C

The systems are stand alone ( the tickets sold) The number drawn 2 machines not tied in together.

I agree with you on this matter. The hoosier lottery is fixed. The machine picks all the numbers nobody picks and then picks the winning numbers from that list. As I said in a comment I made maybe the Indiana Attorney General needs to look this problem very hard and in great depth.  By 10/21/07 the jackpot will  have gone a year w/o being hit. Way too long in my opinion. Go back too the ping pong balls and live televised drawings.

Captain Lotto's avatar - CaptLotto
              Jefferson City, MO
              United States
              Member #55250
              September 20, 2007
              97 Posts
              Posted: September 26, 2007, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Drawing machines aren't connected to sales computers.  Most of the time, sales are handled by a contractor. 

Captain Lotto

"Every day is a good day!"

Indiana
                United States
                Member #53955
                July 28, 2007
                3 Posts
                Posted: September 26, 2007, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

You might want to believe that but I disagree with you. It has been (as of 10/21/07) almost A year that the IN lotto has been hit. Even with the odds that the lotto has it should been hit two or three time in that period ,maybe even more. I haven't done any research on the other online games exclusive to IN only But I bet my last lotto $ they haven't been hit as frequently as they were hit before the computer started picking the winning numbers. As you said in your comments most of the time, sales are handled by a contractor. Just suppose the contractor also controls and programs the drawing computers and they are networked to each other.  Thanks for your comments.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: September 26, 2007, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Drawing machines aren't connected to sales computers.  Most of the time, sales are handled by a contractor. 

Most of the time? Theory or fact?

Balls are definitely not connected to the sales database, you see there is no network card or RJ45 connector hooked to the mechanical ball machine.

New York/Los Angeles
                    United States
                    Member #55492
                    October 5, 2007
                    8 Posts
                    Posted: October 5, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Call me old fashion, but this woman just love balls.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5120 Posts
                      Posted: October 10, 2007, 4:28 pm - IP Logged

IMHO if a state wants to run a lottery that is fair & random, it should have the balls to do it!

Smiley

transluation.................................................................of a PSYKO

recall the BALL's

no more "RNG">>>

people gett'ng "SICK"

(RNG's not healthy )

recall the "BALL's"

(putt'um back where they BELONG)

bigato1010's avatar - army

United States
                        Member #33588
                        February 22, 2006
                        2068 Posts
                        Posted: October 10, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

I know there have been many polls like this before, but let's do a fresh poll, to find out what the current feelings of lottery players are.  I'd appreciate as much participation as possible, no matter what your viewpoint is.

Please indicate your preference as to what type of lottery drawings your prefer —

• Computerized drawings, which use a computer system to generate random numbers.  Some computerized states show the results in an animated cartoon sequence, and other computerized states have dropped television productions.
                        • Mechanical ball drawings, which use a bin or tub to mix numbered ping pong balls or hard rubber balls, and from which the winning numbers are drawn.  Most ball drawings are broadcast on television live or taped and shown later.

Enter one choice or the other, even if you are swayed ever so slightly one way or the other.

You may enter a comment as well, but it is optional.

Also, please participate in the other two polls posted.

You are currently viewing this poll

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings
                        http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161744

POLL 3 of 3: Switching to mechanical ball drawings
                        http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161743

Ball drawings, i prefer&

United States
                          Member #37109
                          April 10, 2006
                          57 Posts
                          Posted: November 13, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I moved from Texas to Louisiana two years ago.  Texas uses balls.  LA is computerized.  None of the systems I used in Texas work in LA.  Wins here are few and far between.  None of  the systems I used in Texas work here - they don't even come close.  I play much less.

Did the system you were using for Tx work pretty good.  If so would you share them with me.

Thanks

Doc Tor

hattiesburg
                            United States
                            Member #49920
                            February 19, 2007
                            1 Posts
                            Posted: November 29, 2007, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

you can fight fire with fire fight computerized drawing with you computer your winnings will be better than you think do not use your system with  ball drop

cyrus86's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              Orlando
                              United States
                              Member #56645
                              November 27, 2007
                              3 Posts
                              Posted: November 29, 2007, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Balls good, Computer Bad. Me hate to lose.

Hey boys and girls, they like the computers so we can't even get close to picking the correct numbers. Plus they don't have to maintain the pp-ball machines. Also, they can control the pay-outs, the odds, the works. I have seen the Great Oz and he's a bad man!