Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 9 years ago by scorpio.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you prefer computerized drawings or mechanical ball machine drawings?

Computerized drawings [ 17 ]  [7.26%]
Mechanical ball machine drawings [ 217 ]  [92.74%]
Total Valid Votes [ 234 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United Kingdom
Member #31295
January 27, 2006
73 Posts
Posted: August 29, 2007, 7:56 am - IP Logged

I'm not flogging you Steve, let's take this example. What if, 5 or 10 minutes from draw time. They do a check, find the the number with the least sales, then generate that number with a few lines of code change. Do you think that could happen or how many times has it really happen and the public will never know. When a lottery official starts using the word "integrity", beware.

I thought that's how computerised drawings worked lol! It gives lottery companies greater control over the amount winnings they have to (or not) pay out.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5587 Posts
    Posted: August 29, 2007, 8:27 am - IP Logged

I thought that's how computerised drawings worked lol! It gives lottery companies greater control over the amount winnings they have to (or not) pay out.

Yes, here in the US some states have computerized KENO games that run every few minutes, they have controlled payouts, dependent on the amount of players and who knows what other factors.

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8392 Posts
      Posted: August 29, 2007, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Okay, don't flog me here, but I chose Computerized drawings because that would open up possibilities that maybe it would be possible to create a system that could get hits more often than trying to guess the machine ball outcome.

Seems I've heard that it's pretty tough to actually write a true RNG program and maybe players could spot a rythmn or glitch and take advantage of it.

The outcome of a Mechanical ball machine is pretty tough to unravel in my opinion. Maybe I'd have better luck with RNG's.

sfillippo wrote:

Okay, don't flog me here, but I chose Computerized drawings because that would open up possibilities that maybe it would be possible to create a system that could get hits more often than trying to guess the machine ball outcome.

I often thought about this for keno the 3 minute games some states have, if you could record every game say via a camera hookup and some computer software you could figure out how their RNG chip processed the numbers and write a program to make money from it. The problem is getting enough records of draws before they changed the chip. If they change the chip every two or three days then you couldn't get enough info to write a decent program that would work.

So i guess the same would be true for pick 3/4 or 5 computerized drawings. I suppose if they had a stand alone system and didn't change the chip one could get enough records say in about 3/5 years worth of drawings to decipher the code.

Some places use more than one computer for the drawings and or have several RNG chip sets. So some people won't go ape on me i was told this by a person whom use to work for the lottery.

The lottery is aware that people will go to great lengths to try and win the games and by the same respect they will go to great lengths to see to it they we can't crack their ball drawing processes. That goes for ball drawings and computerized drawings.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
        Just outside of Cleveland, OH
        United States
        Member #54079
        August 3, 2007
        106 Posts
        Posted: August 29, 2007, 11:08 am - IP Logged

IMHO if a state wants to run a lottery that is fair & random, it should have the balls to do it!

Smiley

Nicely Put!

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7341 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2007, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

I'm not flogging you Steve, let's take this example. What if, 5 or 10 minutes from draw time. They do a check, find the the number with the least sales, then generate that number with a few lines of code change. Do you think that could happen or how many times has it really happen and the public will never know. When a lottery official starts using the word "integrity", beware.

"What if, 5 or 10 minutes from draw time. They do a check, find the the number with the least sales, then generate that number with a few lines of code change."

Or they could program the computer to automatically scan for the combinations with the most money wagered on them. Football season is about to start so every Monday we'll see the "opening lines" in the sports section. If too much money is bet one way, the bookies add or subtract from the point spread to entice bets on the other way.

If the betting gets too high on one side a bookie can lay off some of the bets to another bookie so a winning outcome for one bookie might be a losing outcome for other bookies. One bookie might consider fixing the outcome of the games to "make a killing" but the bookies on the losing side might send them cement boots; even illegal gambling has checks and balances.

Lotteries don't have worry about other bookies so live mechanical ball drawings is the only way that prevents them from fixing the game and "making a killing" to maximize dollars for education. Ms Hargrove was right about one thing, if somebody wanted to fix the game so they could win, eliminating any chance of a double being drawn would be the wrong way to go.

But what if the draw was fixed to maximize dollars for education?

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2007, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I think I've made my position very clear on this subject. Aside from the very valid argument that they're more easily and undetectably compromised, using computers to draw lottery numbers removes an essential element from all of the games. We enjoy the excitement of watching the balls blow around inside the hoppers, watching our numbers roll out one by one and, most of all, anticipating that final number while our hearts pound so hard we think we'll pass out or die.

Now, that's exciting; that's a real lottery drawing.

I've watched tens of thousands of true lottery drawings over the years, and I don't remember thinking, even once, "Gee, I wish these drawings were more technologically advanced." Funny thing is, I've never seen even ONE drawing made by a computer. I've seen animated images of computer drawings that were made to look like they were drawn using balls, but I've never seen the actual drawing in real time.

I wish someone would apply this wonderful technology to a game that would cause the general public to see what we've seen. I wish some sports team owner would wake up and realize that he could save hundreds of millions of dollars per year just by creating and organizing virtual football or basketball teams. No more injuries; no more scandals and no more multi-million dollar player contracts. My God; why NOT do it? NASCAR sponsors and owners could also save scads of money by turning live races into video games, as they've done with these virtual lottery drawings. 

Just because new technology is available for a given application does not necessarily indicate that it can or should be adopted. We have the technology to enable our government to know, at any given moment, what ANYONE in the country is doing, even while they're inside their own homes. Does this mean we should allow them to do it? We have the technology and means to decimate every other country in the world. Why isn't this technology being utilized? These are extreme examples, to be sure, but here's one more: We have the technology to grow staple crops in pure desert sand. I don't have to ask why this technology isn't being employed, because I already know the answer. It costs 27% more to grow corn or soybeans in hot sand than it does to grow it in soil in a less-hostile climate, thus negating any potential profit (wheat costs 18% more to grow in the desert but, for some reason, sand-grown wheat yields 6% more grain per acre).

So far, with the lone exception of the very first state to convert to using an RNG (I think it was Connecticut, but I wouldn't swear to it), every other state lottery that has embraced these machines has made the same comment: "Other states are already using this technology, and it's important that we keep up with industry trends."

I'm waiting for the day when a lottery public relations spokesman says, "Well, other state lottery directors were jumping off bridges, so ..."

Definitely not Connecticut.  Still all balls.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2007, 7:30 am - IP Logged

I am with you on this.  I quit them too.  Best chance to even come close in TN now with Pick 3 is to do a qp and hope it is a number that was played the least.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                Member #15309
                May 13, 2005
                307 Posts
                Posted: August 30, 2007, 8:16 am - IP Logged

I chose balls.  I wondered though about the make of the balls.  For example, balls of metal vs. balls of rubber.   Would there be a predictable difference in the outcome?

Sun Smiley             

United States
                  Member #16612
                  June 2, 2005
                  3493 Posts
                  Posted: August 30, 2007, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

I hate computer drawings. I like ball drawings that are fair as my vote.

Coastal Georgia
                    United States
                    Member #2653
                    October 30, 2003
                    1866 Posts
                    Posted: August 30, 2007, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

101 to 7 at this juncture in favor of balls...

Rocket 455's avatar - rocket
                      Bellevue, KY
                      United States
                      Member #53340
                      July 4, 2007
                      2622 Posts
                      Posted: August 30, 2007, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Random will never be programmed, I don't care what any computer scientist says. Just like voting machines, it's too easy to stack the deck with hidden code. And if you did finally figure out the rhythm the programmer would just change it. Less hits for the people who play this game. The answer is simple.

Balls Sun Smiley

She was made for the straitaways
                      She grew up hatin' Chevrolets
                      She's a rocket
                      She was made to burn. ~Kathy Mattea

United States
                        Member #16612
                        June 2, 2005
                        3493 Posts
                        Posted: August 31, 2007, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I hate computer drawings. I like ball drawings that are fair as my vote.

I don't like computer drawings. The odds of winning a jackpot is better fair if it's ball drawn.

EAST COAST, USA
                          United States
                          Member #49428
                          January 31, 2007
                          553 Posts
                          Posted: September 3, 2007, 9:09 am - IP Logged

I know there have been many polls like this before, but let's do a fresh poll, to find out what the current feelings of lottery players are.  I'd appreciate as much participation as possible, no matter what your viewpoint is.

Please indicate your preference as to what type of lottery drawings your prefer —

• Computerized drawings, which use a computer system to generate random numbers.  Some computerized states show the results in an animated cartoon sequence, and other computerized states have dropped television productions.
                          • Mechanical ball drawings, which use a bin or tub to mix numbered ping pong balls or hard rubber balls, and from which the winning numbers are drawn.  Most ball drawings are broadcast on television live or taped and shown later.

Enter one choice or the other, even if you are swayed ever so slightly one way or the other.

You may enter a comment as well, but it is optional.

Also, please participate in the other two polls posted.

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings
                          You are currently viewing this poll

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings
                          http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161744

POLL 3 of 3: Switching to mechanical ball drawings
                          http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161743

What type of drawing does NC and SC have? Whatever it is it works for me.

EAST COAST, USA
                            United States
                            Member #49428
                            January 31, 2007
                            553 Posts
                            Posted: September 3, 2007, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

Seems I've heard that it's pretty tough to actually write a true RNG program and maybe players could spot a rythmn or glitch and take advantage of it.

The outcome of a Mechanical ball machine is pretty tough to unravel in my opinion. Maybe I'd have better luck with RNG's.

I'm in that small percentage also Steve. I agree with your philosophy.  But only because I know it to be true.

United States
                              Member #50209
                              March 1, 2007
                              4 Posts
                              Posted: September 6, 2007, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

What type of drawing does NC and SC have? Whatever it is it works for me.

Look at the State Lottery Report Card in the results menu.  Every game and state is listed.