Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 8:41 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your friend gives you a lotto ticket(gift) and it wins the Jackpot.

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Guest.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How much do you give your friend?

Nothing, a gift is a gift. [ 7 ]  [11.86%]
50% of the jackpot. [ 18 ]  [30.51%]
10% of the jackpot. [ 8 ]  [13.56%]
Just buy him a nice dinner. [ 5 ]  [8.47%]
It depends on how large the jackpot. [ 13 ]  [22.03%]
unsure. [ 7 ]  [11.86%]
no comment. [ 1 ]  [1.69%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
Member #15309
May 13, 2005
307 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2007, 6:32 am - IP Logged

I don't think I'll accept the gift in the first place.  I discourage people from giving me gifts, including from close friends.  I find that most of the time, the gift is not free after all, for people expect something in return. 

Sun Smiley             

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7343 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2007, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I did: I was given a couple of $10 rub-offs: I was going to rub them off later, but the gift giver insisted I rub them off now. (they were both losers) I'm sure if one of them was a Winner the Gift giver would have expected half the prize money. When I stop and think about it: The gift giver got to play the Lottery and give a gift (not) all for the same $20. LOL!

I've given and received scratch-off tickets as gifts and never thought of it as a partnership but none of the tickets have produced a large winner. The tickets are usually a variety ten or twenty $1 or $2 tickets and the top prizes are around $5000 so it's not the same as the potential to win millions.

"When I stop and think about it: The gift giver got to play the Lottery and give a gift (not) all for the same $20. LOL!"

I never thought about it like that but you're right. LOL

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
      Member #50124
      February 26, 2007
      601 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2007, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I did: I was given a couple of $10 rub-offs: I was going to rub them off later, but the gift giver insisted I rub them off now. (they were both losers) I'm sure if one of them was a Winner the Gift giver would have expected half the prize money. When I stop and think about it: The gift giver got to play the Lottery and give a gift (not) all for the same $20. LOL!

Years ago, I gave an acquaintance 3 or 4 scratch-offs in a birthday card.  The next time I saw her, she said thanks for the card and lottery tickets.  Then she got all shifty-eyed and said "I didn't win anything."  I guess she thought I'd expect a cut of her winnings.  I just said "Ah, sorry.  Better luck next time."

That's when I figured out that money, especially "free" money, could easily cause huge problems between friends.  Before that, I would buy a lottery ticket when with friends and if they joked about sharing the winnings, I'd joke back that sure, I'd buy them a huge mansion.  After that, I quit even buying tickets when with friends.  I always go alone now, and when I discuss what I'll do with the winnings, it's all about me.  If they even mention sharing, even jokingly, I say nope, this is allll mine baby!  A few have declared me to be incredibly selfish, but that's their problem.

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8797 Posts
        Posted: October 19, 2007, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I would give them back their dollar on what it cost. Big Grin

Oo'Ka

Dr Lottery's avatar - 10847
          Albany,Georgia
          United States
          Member #45615
          August 24, 2006
          2135 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2007, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Oh Yeah !! I would give them 1/2 of what I got after taxes !! thats being a true friend!!

One day I will Hit BIG!!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2007, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I give them all the time ..  I love surprising dad with a handful.   He loves checking those numbers on Thurs/Sun Mornings.

I have given them to the principal of the school, the teachers, friends, and my children.  If one of them wins, I expect nothing.  It would make me feel good knowing I made their lives a little sweeter.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Member #0
              January 1, 2000
              0 Posts
              Posted: October 24, 2007, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I'd remain friends with them...after all,if it wasn't for them I wouldn't be rich.Dance