Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is it worth buying a large number of tickets once a year?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 9 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Which choice do you prefer?

CHOICE A: Spending $20 every week on lotto tickets [ 34 ]  [80.95%]
CHOICE B: Buying 1040 ($20 x 52) tickets annually [ 8 ]  [19.05%]
Total Valid Votes [ 42 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: November 16, 2007, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to ask all of you for your opinion, since I truly believe that the smartest and most talented lottery players browse through these forums ......

I was thinking of flying somewhere for vacation.  I haven't bought any lottery tickets in almost a year, and I had considered buying a large number of tickets during a vacation once a year.  If you spend, let's say, $20 a week on lottery tickets, is it worth saving all that money to play 1040 tickets ($20 x 52 = $1040) once a year annually.  The odds would be MUCH greater buying 1040 tickets for that annual drawing, but if you play every drawing, at least you would have a chance on every drawing.  Is it worth the wait?  Your thoughts......

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

pittsburgh
    United States
    Member #51040
    March 25, 2007
    457 Posts
    Posted: November 16, 2007, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

i had just got done talkin about this to a co-worker  today. i asked him if he buys powerball tickets every week. he said yes and i said well i dont play the powerball i dont like the odds. then i said if i were to buy powerball tickets i would buy one lump some at a time and thats it for the year. then he got defensive and said that he only spend $1 on the tickets. so i said yea for that reason id rather wait till the end of the year and spend $52 and try to win. i think he is starting to think about it now.

benmas's avatar - waveform
      Rhode Island
      United States
      Member #56010
      October 28, 2007
      434 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

My thoughts: Of course if you buy more tickets for one drawing you will incresase your chances but still there are no guarantees. IT depends what you want to play for: The jackpot amounts will be really high only two or three times a year. If you want to take your chances and hit it big you can wait for the high jackpot and go all out there. Personally i would spread it out because you never know when luck will hit you. If you put all your eggs in one basket and lose then for the rest of the year you will be left thinking...Yeah i would much rather play $20 a week a year...at least it gives you hopes for an entire year rather than one day. But since there are no guarantees in the lottery there is nothing wrong with your plan ...just your choice ..if you really feel it in you go for it...It only takes $1 to win. This guy from NY that won the $75 million Mega MIlLIONS Jackpot three weeks ago.. he said it was his second time ever buying a ticket..then there is the rest of us who have been trying forever and ... So GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
        Member #55246
        September 20, 2007
        225 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2007, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

I voted to buy $20 lotto tickets weekly, for the following reasons.

My understanding is that each ticket will have a 1 in 175,711,536 million odds of winning (megalotto). No matter how many tickets you buy, the odds of winning for each ticket will remain the same (please note: I am a math-challenged person -- Roll Eyes- my eyes go this way when I do mental math).

The joy of anticipation of winning the lottery is spread out throughout the year. (Wow- I've just realized that I am now a pathologic gambler).

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49813 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2007, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to ask all of you for your opinion, since I truly believe that the smartest and most talented lottery players browse through these forums ......

I was thinking of flying somewhere for vacation.  I haven't bought any lottery tickets in almost a year, and I had considered buying a large number of tickets during a vacation once a year.  If you spend, let's say, $20 a week on lottery tickets, is it worth saving all that money to play 1040 tickets ($20 x 52 = $1040) once a year annually.  The odds would be MUCH greater buying 1040 tickets for that annual drawing, but if you play every drawing, at least you would have a chance on every drawing.  Is it worth the wait?  Your thoughts......

And you'll buy this block of tickets on: 04/15!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

I said $20 per week. That's from a system point of view.

If I were going to play quick picks, then I'd say a one shot deal is best, but for a system (knowing they run hot/cold), I think spreading the plays out gives a better chance of being in the game when your system is HOT Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
              nashville
              United States
              Member #49896
              February 18, 2007
              1181 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2007, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

my vote was choice A. i play more when i make it up to kentucky or down to georgia for my megamillions futures.

derek7's avatar - speedykat
                IL
                United States
                Member #34578
                March 4, 2006
                198 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2007, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I say choice A, but often I think about exact thing you posted. And there are days I would say choice B. After all though: choice A.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                  Member #567
                  August 14, 2002
                  484 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2007, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

And you'll buy this block of tickets on: 04/15!

04/15 ?!?!?!  WHY 04/15 ?!?!?!?!

What is that supposed to mean?

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2007, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

It depends on whether or not you play for the fun, the "challenge" and if you have a system. If you buy numbers well in advance of the drawing that would mean you aren't choosing numbers based on recent information, such as previous draws.  I play several combinations, so I would never want to invest that much money all at once.  I would only buy advanced plays if I plan to be away or very busy for a long time and might miss a drawing. 

There is a small disadvantage to getting advance plays, but it's only my opinion.  Maybe it's not a disadvantage, because I realize if I win one of the smaller prizes l'll get another ticket, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.  That's why I like one combination on each ticket for one play.  Keeps it simple.

Benmas - regarding the winner who had only played a couple of time, I read that a lot and I also see many "free ticket" wins for Fantasy 5.  I realize that the player had to buy a ticket to win the free one in the first place, but it means (a) it was a quick pick and (b) the winner didn't spend any money to win.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49813 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

04/15 ?!?!?!  WHY 04/15 ?!?!?!?!

What is that supposed to mean?

04/15=The Last Day to file: Income Tax Form-1040!

The number of Tickets you're going to buy!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2007, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

I believe the best way is to spend 20 dollars each week though it will be better if it was 20 each drawing....But like how i was saying is better to spend 20 dollars each week, this way your odds change from drawing to drawing and who knows the jackpot may come your way...

Despite that 1052 is a large sum, is merely an ameba compare the the astronomical odds Powerball, Ca Superlotto plus, or PIck6/49 has...1,000 dollars is not even 1% of a Lotto6/49 total combinations...This is why you should play 20 dollars each week...And I think i am correct..

The same scenario with the 1 dollar a week versus the 52 dollars once a year...I think is better to play 1 dollar a week than to spend 52 dollars once a year....YOu see the odds fluctuate from drawing to drawing, sometimes giving you better odds, sometimes not..But when it is giving you better odds, who knows the jackpot my come your way...And this happens 104 times a year compared to only ONCE A YEAR...

"The Truth is out There"            from movie "The X-Files"

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2007, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

I believe the best way is to spend 20 dollars each week though it will be better if it was 20 each drawing....But like how i was saying is better to spend 20 dollars each week, this way your odds change from drawing to drawing and who knows the jackpot may come your way...

Despite that 1052 is a large sum, is merely an ameba compare the the astronomical odds Powerball, Ca Superlotto plus, or PIck6/49 has...1,000 dollars is not even 1% of a Lotto6/49 total combinations...This is why you should play 20 dollars each week...And I think i am correct..

The same scenario with the 1 dollar a week versus the 52 dollars once a year...I think is better to play 1 dollar a week than to spend 52 dollars once a year....YOu see the odds fluctuate from drawing to drawing, sometimes giving you better odds, sometimes not..But when it is giving you better odds, who knows the jackpot my come your way...And this happens 104 times a year compared to only ONCE A YEAR...

"The Truth is out There"            from movie "The X-Files"

The best option I think is to spend 20 dollars per drawing...5 dollars for Powerball and 5 dollars for Lotto6/49 if you have one in your state or to spend it on Pick5 (lotto5) (even if pick5 is played everyday, you only play it twice a week with 5 dollars)....Doing that twice a week you will have your chances optimized....And i think i am correct...

All this is assuming you was buying quick picks...

"The Truth is Out There"                 from movie "The X-Files"

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7318 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2007, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

The best option I think is to spend 20 dollars per drawing...5 dollars for Powerball and 5 dollars for Lotto6/49 if you have one in your state or to spend it on Pick5 (lotto5) (even if pick5 is played everyday, you only play it twice a week with 5 dollars)....Doing that twice a week you will have your chances optimized....And i think i am correct...

All this is assuming you was buying quick picks...

"The Truth is Out There"                 from movie "The X-Files"

At the end of the year you would have 520 tickets from each draw and you could check them to see if any of the combination would have matched another drawing. Would you rather buy 5 tickets a draw and look at a ticket for a March drawing that matched all the numbers drawn in December or have 520 real chances in one draw?

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2007, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

At the end of the year you would have 520 tickets from each draw and you could check them to see if any of the combination would have matched another drawing. Would you rather buy 5 tickets a draw and look at a ticket for a March drawing that matched all the numbers drawn in December or have 520 real chances in one draw?

520 tickets is not even 0.5% of 14 million combinations (lotto6/49), let alone 150 million combinations (Powerball)...It wouldn't even do a scratch...LIke how i said before, it will be like an ameoba trying to knock out a person...

"The Truth is Out There"             from movie "The X-Files"