Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 12:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wanting Lots of Stuff

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 9 years ago by csfb.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: November 27, 2007, 3:02 am - IP Logged

There have been numerous threads asking what each of us would want if we won millions. 

Today I read a post in which someone talked about the $10 million mansion he would buy, etc., etc.

So here's my question...

How many people reading this would NOT want a large home, a fancy car or expensive jewelry? 

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5976 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2007, 6:28 am - IP Logged

There have been numerous threads asking what each of us would want if we won millions. 

Today I read a post in which someone talked about the $10 million mansion he would buy, etc., etc.

So here's my question...

How many people reading this would NOT want a large home, a fancy car or expensive jewelry? 

If and when, I ever hit a big jackpot.

1. Setup a trust fund for my son's family, leaving out enough money to last my wife and I, for the rest of our lives.

2. Travel, travel etc,etc,etc

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2007, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I really don't have a need for expensive jewelry, but I might buy a nice ring or two. I want to get a Toyota Tundra so I don't really consider that to be a fancy car and the homes I have been looking at aren't anywhere near $10 million dollars. I have no need for a huge home and ferraris and stuff like that.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:06 am - IP Logged

I would like a nice home.  I have always been into cars and ditbikes since I was young so i'm def getting those lol!  Now jewelry and clothes, not really into them too much.  But I have to have my house and cars if nothing else.  But I also have to be financially set for the rest of my life before making any of those purchases.

What fun is it to have all that money and hardly do anything with it?  Why lead the same ole' rat race ridden life?  Not saying that life is horrible now but lemme tell you, money affords you the time to do whatever it is that makes you happy.  And guess what, enjoying cars is one thing that makes me happy.  Enjoying dirtbikes is one thing that makes me happy.  Making my house look awesome is one thing that makes me happy, spending quality time with my wife and kids is one thing that makes me happy.  My point is, to each his own.  What makes you happy, someone else might loathe and vice versa.  Lets not put the kid down because of his active imagination. 

If that is what makes him happy, then oh well.  You nor I have to live his life nor experience any of what he is saying.

Don't get me wrong, I am not getting on anyone, i'm just saying in a cheerful tone to let others be.  Lets build each other up instead of tearing each other down.

Just because you may have no need for a large home or Ferraris or anything else like that, someone else may lol.  I'll tell you what, I have no need for a Toyata Tundra but I have a need for an Overfinch Range Rover 580s lol!  You see, my wants aren't better or worse than yours, and your wants aren't better or worse than mine.  We as individuals want different things.  Wink

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

chippie's avatar - Lottery-064.jpg

Bahamas
          Member #31284
          January 27, 2006
          8962 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:08 am - IP Logged

So here's my question...

Morning

I dont have a need for a LARGE home or fancy car............I just want to make me and my family and god kids comfy.

Idaho
            United States
            Member #56506
            November 21, 2007
            6537 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:14 am - IP Logged

just because you may have no need for a large home or Ferraris or anything else like that, someone else may lol.  I'll tell you what, I have no need for a Toyata Tundra but I have a need for an Overfinch Range Rover 580s lol!  You see, my wants aren't better or worse than yours, and your wants aren't better or worse than mine.  We as individuals want different things.

What was the point of this?!? And why pick on me? I was just answering justxplorings question. My response had nothing do with any one else on this board.  And I never said my wants were better or worse then anyone elses. If someone wants to spend a lot of money on homes or cars, that's fine with me. I don't. So what's the problem? Don't go taking my posts and twisting them to try and make yourself look better when all I did was answer the original posters question. 

What fun is it to have all that money and hardly do anything with it?  Why lead the same ole' rat race ridden life?

What does it matter to you how I or anyone spends our money? You seem to be judging me, but at the same time telling me to let others have fun. Even when I never said anything of the sort. 

By the way this was my original post:

I really don't have a need for expensive jewelry, but I might buy a nice ring or two. I want to get a Toyota Tundra so I don't really consider that to be a fancy car and the homes I have been looking at aren't anywhere near $10 million dollars. I have no need for a huge home and ferraris and stuff like that.

Where exactly did I tell anyone that they couldn't do what they wanted with their money? You just saw what you wanted to see MegaWinner. Roll Eyes

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:37 am - IP Logged

just because you may have no need for a large home or Ferraris or anything else like that, someone else may lol.  I'll tell you what, I have no need for a Toyata Tundra but I have a need for an Overfinch Range Rover 580s lol!  You see, my wants aren't better or worse than yours, and your wants aren't better or worse than mine.  We as individuals want different things.

What was the point of this?!? And why pick on me? I was just answering justxplorings question. My response had nothing do with any one else on this board.  And I never said my wants were better or worse then anyone elses. If someone wants to spend a lot of money on homes or cars, that's fine with me. I don't. So what's the problem? Don't go taking my posts and twisting them to try and make yourself look better when all I did was answer the original posters question. 

What fun is it to have all that money and hardly do anything with it?  Why lead the same ole' rat race ridden life?

What does it matter to you how I or anyone spends our money? You seem to be judging me, but at the same time telling me to let others have fun. Even when I never said anything of the sort. 

By the way this was my original post:

Where exactly did I tell anyone that they couldn't do what they wanted with their money? You just saw what you wanted to see MegaWinner. Roll Eyes

Whoa! Whoa!  Back up Scarychick!  I wasn't picking on you!  Sorry if it seems like I was, that was not my intention at all.  I was just trying to lighten things up as it seems as the $35 million dollar kid's story was getting trashed.  I actually thought it was comedy lol!  

The tone of my original post is a friendly and jovial one.  Please don't take offense to it because thats not how I meant it.  And for the record, I was in no way judging you.   

Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2007, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Whoa! Whoa!  Back up Scarychick!  I wasn't picking on you!  Sorry if it seems like I was, that was not my intention at all.  I was just trying to lighten things up as it seems as the $35 million dollar kid's story was getting trashed.  I actually thought it was comedy lol!  

The tone of my original post is a friendly and jovial one.  Please don't take offense to it because thats not how I meant it.  And for the record, I was in no way judging you.   

You basically addressed me when you posted this:

Just because you may have no need for a large home or Ferraris or anything else like that, someone else may lol.  I'll tell you what, I have no need for a Toyata Tundra

If you didn't want me to think the post was about me there was no need to include my large home or Ferraris comment and the Toyota Tundra comment, which I made.  I was just addressing justxploring question, not thinking about any other post. So exactly how was I suppose to pick up your friendly and jovial tone, when you basically picked out my comment? Sorry that I didn't find it humorous.

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #50273
                  March 3, 2007
                  348 Posts
                  Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Sorry you took it that way.  I was just using examples in the thread.  I apologized once and i'll do it a final time.  Sorry, my bad, didn't mean to come off that way.  As I said in my first reply, I wasn't trying to get at anyone.  If you can't see that I wasn't picking on you then I don't know what to say.  There is always different ways to see things.  You said you didn't like how I came across, I apologized and offered my way of seeing things.  Lets keep it moving and not get hung up on this.  Its not that serious. 

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
                    Member #2217
                    September 1, 2003
                    985 Posts
                    Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:16 am - IP Logged

Jxp - my answer to your question is that I would not for the sake of simply owning those things want a large home, fancy car or expensive jewelry for myself.  I can honestly say I don't dream or daydream about Escalades or Jags or mansions (although I might admire from a distance).   I would require the basics to carry out what I really wish for....

I will take time to savor the gift and never forget how lucky I am, a gift in and of itself... the things money can buy, the best health care, peace of mind, and the ability to focus attention on the things that really matter.

After becoming debt free and sharing that particular gift with the people who matter to me,  I have several wishes and while many are altruistic, I am human and this will make me feel good too!

To the friend who has tried to shelter me from the pain of this world in every way she knows how, I would make certain she never has another want for her lifetime that can be alleviated by money, and the money would ensure that I can move to Georgia and become bonafide!   

To the extended family I will build, pets and people, I would like to find a home and property to shelter us all.  No, I do not have a mansion in mind.  More like lots of 8' kennel fencing, pasture, barn, trees, water....  My indulgence would be an authentically outfitted 1950s kitchen as vintage is my personal vice.  I already have about 75% of everything required to furnish it.

To the foundation I plan to build, an endowment with all the animal issues that matter to me.  This is an extensive plan already scoped out.  I can say that it involves a wider venue to both make and spend money with efforts that are long-lasting, educating and aiding other small organizations that will serve as many areas of the country as possible. 

To finance 5 Habitat for Humanity Homes and, as a surprise, take each family at completion on a shopping trip to buy whatever they want for their new home.   Before someone asks, I cannot physically help build the house (trust me, Jake + power tools/sharp edges = big bad :)) but I can cook and serve and provide auxillary support.

To retire from my profession but leave my mark by providing the funds for several people to complete the educational requirements necessary - it will not guarantee the job but it will give them a chance.  I would make time to mentor to help them get the job they really want. 

To become a silent financial/think tank partner with a great boss I currently work for and ensure that her business flourishes and all the people who work for her do so in turn.  Any financial profit from this endeavor would go back to the education fund noted above.   

For the holidays, especially the very first after the win, essentially seeing how many toys, gifts and food for those in need in the community I can accumulate for those wonderful people who toil during the season to help those that need.   No matter how many millions you have, the better the bargain, the more you can buy and size does count in this case. 

To indulge in a personal passion as an auction dog year-round and just buy every bargain under the sun and return the goods to the community through local shelters or ship out specialized things to needy organizations.   

I have a special wish to fullfill for Todd and the LP Family but cannot divulge here because, well, I just can't.    I am hoping that several good people here will join me in carrying out some of the above endeavors and will send out the invitation now.

Finally (I forgot to mention this list is not in any particular order), I'd hire the best financial team possible to help me make more money and protect what I win.  Probably the most important member of this team will be the one charged with standing on my feet and preventing me from giving it all away.  I would not want that job  LOL

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5763 Posts
                      Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I always tell my wife that I would buy my own private island somewhere to get away from people, cars, traffic, etc. She made it quite clear that that idea ain't gonna fly!

Seriously, the most important thing to me at this point in my life is not fancy trappings, but the security of financial independence. Yeah I would buy a nicer house. Go on some hunting trips I have always wanted to, but couldn't afford. But mainly get my teens thru college, then Momma and I would travel to see this beautiful country. I would also like to work on helping those in need. 

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #56506
                        November 21, 2007
                        6537 Posts
                        Posted: November 27, 2007, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I always tell my wife that I would buy my own private island somewhere to get away from people, cars, traffic, etc. She made it quite clear that that idea ain't gonna fly!

Seriously, the most important thing to me at this point in my life is not fancy trappings, but the security of financial independence. Yeah I would buy a nicer house. Go on some hunting trips I have always wanted to, but couldn't afford. But mainly get my teens thru college, then Momma and I would travel to see this beautiful country. I would also like to work on helping those in need. 

Yes Nod I agree. I don't have children, but I would want to help put my youngest sister and my nieces and nephews through college. I would love certain things, a nice home, working car and to be able to travel a bit, but what I want most is financial security. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #48725
                          January 7, 2007
                          1958 Posts
                          Posted: November 27, 2007, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

If someone wins a big jackpot and wants to buy expensive stuff, there's nothing wrong with that as long as they don't go overboard. If I win a big jackpot, I probably WILL buy a big house and several expensive cars, AND there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's my right. I won the lottery for crying out loud! Do you think I play the lottery because I'm bored and have nothing better to do?!

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: November 27, 2007, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

Someome here on the board once mentioned when you hit a jackpot you trade one set of problems for a different set (and kind) of problems, but wouldn't we all like to give it a try.

As far as stuff and luxurious homes and such go, I figure the more low profile you are, the better. 

rebbuckeye

Not an island, but I've always joked about buying a lighthouse and holing up in it.

Smile

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3501 Posts
                              Posted: November 27, 2007, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

You basically addressed me when you posted this:

Just because you may have no need for a large home or Ferraris or anything else like that, someone else may lol.  I'll tell you what, I have no need for a Toyata Tundra

If you didn't want me to think the post was about me there was no need to include my large home or Ferraris comment and the Toyota Tundra comment, which I made.  I was just addressing justxploring question, not thinking about any other post. So exactly how was I suppose to pick up your friendly and jovial tone, when you basically picked out my comment? Sorry that I didn't find it humorous.

Maybe he used your example because it was only the third post and the first that mentioned  material possessions. Whatever the reason, he simply contrasted your example with what he'd want to point out that we all have different wants or needs. It seemed clear to me that the post was addressed to everybody.