Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 4:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wanting Lots of Stuff

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 9 years ago by csfb.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
Idaho
United States
Member #56506
November 21, 2007
6537 Posts
Posted: November 27, 2007, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Maybe he used your example because it was only the third post and the first that mentioned  material possessions. Whatever the reason, he simply contrasted your example with what he'd want to point out that we all have different wants or needs. It seemed clear to me that the post was addressed to everybody.

I'm glad it was clear too you. We can agree to disagree, because I didn't see it the same way. It's over anyways, so the matter can be dropped.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
    Lotto City, Michigan
    United States
    Member #36256
    March 30, 2006
    1472 Posts
    Posted: November 27, 2007, 2:23 pm - IP Logged

I joke about wanting to live like Hugh Hefner and have TONS of beautiful "girls next door", but in truth I want people to be HAPPY and living in a PEACEFUL WORLD. (but if I can't have that, the girls next door will do) Wink

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: November 27, 2007, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

im single with no kids so i would be living alone and i wouldnt care about being too fancy with big houses and nice cars i really want somewhere safe to live where i can have some privacy.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        347 Posts
        Posted: November 27, 2007, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I've never been fond of jewelry, no matter how expensive.  I haven't worn earrings once in at least 25 years, and no ring other than a wedding band in my lifetime, so one can be sure I wouldn't be spending a lottery jackpot on flashy jewelry.  I already live in a nice (not lavish) home on water and plan to sell it to move into something smaller, not because I need the extra money I could free up from the equity as much as that I hate having to deal with the upkeep and the housecleaning of this large a place.  Though I could easily afford to hire all that done on a larger fancier place with a lottery winning, I'm a private person and just don't like having workers around any more than necessary, so even with the extra money I probably wouldn't buy anything larger than I now have. 

As a lottery winner I'd replace my 15-year old pickup with a new vehicle, but I have no desire for anything flashy.  To me an automobile is merely a means of transportation.  I did some foreign traveling in my younger days, and though I might make a few more trips, I'm happy being a homebody at this stage of life.  I'm already retired, so I don't need a large amount to fund my retirement.  An extra $100,000 to $250,000 would be nice to give me greater security in the event of unanticipated emergency, but I really don't have a burning desire for much more for myself. 

So why do I enter Mega Millions instead of smaller lotteries?  Primarily because I have several relatives who are disabled and could use a lot of financial help.  My current finances are adequate for my own needs, but totally inadequate to provide for their support.  In addition I have a number of charities I like to support from animal shelters to scholarships to food banks.  Currently I can only afford donations of $5 or $10 or occasionally $100, but with a win I could make some really meaningful donations during my lifetime and leave the bulk of my estate to causes in which I believe.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
          Member #15309
          May 13, 2005
          307 Posts
          Posted: November 27, 2007, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Whoa! Whoa!  Back up Scarychick!  I wasn't picking on you!  Sorry if it seems like I was, that was not my intention at all.  I was just trying to lighten things up as it seems as the $35 million dollar kid's story was getting trashed.  I actually thought it was comedy lol!  

The tone of my original post is a friendly and jovial one.  Please don't take offense to it because thats not how I meant it.  And for the record, I was in no way judging you.   

Judging me, judging you.  Everybody judging everybody.  It's all in the eyes of the beholder.  I didn't see any judging here. 

BTW, EmilyG's latest blog talks about judging.

Sun Smiley             

United States
            Member #15309
            May 13, 2005
            307 Posts
            Posted: November 27, 2007, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

My personal experience is that, the less you have in real life, the more you want lots of stuff.  The more you have in real life, the less your desire for lots of stuff.

Sun Smiley             

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: November 27, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

There have been numerous threads asking what each of us would want if we won millions. 

Today I read a post in which someone talked about the $10 million mansion he would buy, etc., etc.

So here's my question...

How many people reading this would NOT want a large home, a fancy car or expensive jewelry? 

I am happy with my home and vehicles... I don't care about expensive jewelry... I only have 10 fingers..

I do enjoy good food...  fine resturants....

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: November 27, 2007, 6:08 pm - IP Logged

My personal experience is that, the less you have in real life, the more you want lots of stuff.  The more you have in real life, the less your desire for lots of stuff.

Oh... is that how it goes....

I am blessed. No need or desire for anything...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

TexasDreams's avatar - Trek ROMSYM2.gif
                  Houston, Texas
                  United States
                  Member #56457
                  November 19, 2007
                  55 Posts
                  Posted: November 28, 2007, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Once I stopped jumping up and down, I would form a trust for me and my future generations; to prevent any con artists from taking advantage of them, to protect their assests. I consider myself blessed since I have a decent education and career, but I'm in no means rich in material things or "big savings" am able to pay my bills, save a little, then wait for my next paycheck. A moderate home; large enough for the family, and a decent auto would be nice. I think I would just invest the rest and enjoy the world by traveling with the kids and have security knowing their future is secure!!!

A few years ago, billionaire Warren Buffett advised  "Investors should remember that excitement and expenses are their enemies. And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: November 28, 2007, 3:10 am - IP Logged

All I wanted was the ability to do WHAT I want - WHEN I want to.

I am not the type of person to 'put the cart in front of the horse', but at the same time, what is life without some dreamery to it ?

By the same token, life is short; all it takes to prove that is watching the local news, and seeing the fatal car accidents; and it can happen to ANYONE. I don't know of anybody that wakes up, gets in a car, and says to themselves 'I think I will get killed now'. 

S--- happens. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2007, 3:22 am - IP Logged

Let me share a story with you, I might have said it before.

When I was in college, it was common to see kids literally MOVE IN to their dorm rooms, with big u-hauls full of junk, furniture, stereos, sports junk, basically every amenity known to man - or woman.

Folks are assigned rooms, if they have not picked a roommate, one is assigned to them.

One guy moves in, it takes two days to unload his junk, room is like a palace.

He didn't pick a roomate.

Here comes his roommate.

Very nice guy.

Very shy.

Broken english.

Vietnamese refugee.

His ENTIRE LIFE was in his large backpack.

That's all he had - a backpack.

A pair of jeans, 3 shirts, some socks, and a small clock radio. A wind breaker for a jacket.  Plus what he was wearing (jeans, shirt, tennies)

When it came time to move out in the summer, Hung (his name) piled his ENTIRE LIFE in to his backpack, slung it over his shoulder, and moved on.

He had what he wanted - a life, a future, in the USA.

'Stuff' is just an obstacle to him, something to slow him down. 

The other roommate ?

All he wanted was more 'stuff'.

My point is, happiness is, life is, what you make of it, what you want out of it. 

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                        Vancouver, WA
                        United States
                        Member #53665
                        July 15, 2007
                        151 Posts
                        Posted: November 28, 2007, 7:29 am - IP Logged

For me, if I won Powerball it would be quiet simple.  Outside my time in the military, I have always been stuck living in an apartment.  Now that I have a wonderful wife and 2 kids, my first priority would be to find a nice but not that extravegant home.  Second would be a new car for myself and one for the wife.  It would be nice to have a new car instead of driving cars that are anywhere from 10-15 years old.  While it would be nice to own a $300,000.00 car, having a nice new van or maybe that long wanted Trans Am would be wonderful.

Since my wife is from the Philippines, I would go back there to visit family and see about finding a nice home there for us when we go there to visit (be it holidays or extended stays).

There would be funds set aside for the trust fund for both kids college expenses and for them later on in their lives.

As one other post stated...After all that, all I want is the chance to go where I want to go, when I want to go.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10392 Posts
                          Posted: November 28, 2007, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Anyone remember George Carlin's'  hilarious comedy skit,

A Place for Your Stuff?

He went to visit a friend in Hawaii, and then the friend wants to go to a different island, and it comes down to keys, wallet, and comb was all the stuff he needed.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: November 28, 2007, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

Anybody see NightLine last night?  They were showing houses on the Gold Coast of California that sales haven't been affected by the housing slump.  They're 10,000 sf on up and going for prices from 13 mil to over 100 mil and the real estate guy said they will probably sell for cash.  No sub-prime loans to get foreclosed on there.

I used to dream of having several of those type houses in various locations across the US including Hawaii, but somewhere along the way I got real and realized I'd be miserable in one of those.  Money isn't going to change my personality, and I'm a private person, a bit of a loner.  I'd be sitting in that humongous house all alone most of the year trying to hide from the housekeeper and the landscapers who would be there at least several days a week to keep it clean and maintained.  Maybe have one or 2 friends over a couple times a year and maybe a boyfriend if I ever find one of those.  It would be like living in a museum.

So now I dream of a nice 3 bedroom home with an office, no larger than 4,000 sf on an acre in a nice part of town and a summer home in the mountains.  Nice car, maybe two, like a Dodge Nitro or even a Mercedes but nothing over $75K.  Pay for myself and a friend to go on a nice trip once or twice a year.  Maybe get a T-1 internet connection at my home.  And I'm happy!

United States
                              Member #15309
                              May 13, 2005
                              307 Posts
                              Posted: November 28, 2007, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Gee, I'm somewhat like you.  I'm a bit of a loner myself except that I have 2 dogs and a cat for company.  The gardeners come once a week and the housecleaner every other week.  I have a few good friends that visit.  My boyfriend of some 10 years has his own place.   Maybe that is why I don't want to get married.  I don't know if I can handle constant human company.

Sun Smiley