Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Wanting Lots of Stuff

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 9 years ago by csfb.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
Member #15309
May 13, 2005
307 Posts
Posted: November 28, 2007, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

Let me share a story with you, I might have said it before.

When I was in college, it was common to see kids literally MOVE IN to their dorm rooms, with big u-hauls full of junk, furniture, stereos, sports junk, basically every amenity known to man - or woman.

Folks are assigned rooms, if they have not picked a roommate, one is assigned to them.

One guy moves in, it takes two days to unload his junk, room is like a palace.

He didn't pick a roomate.

Here comes his roommate.

Very nice guy.

Very shy.

Broken english.

Vietnamese refugee.

His ENTIRE LIFE was in his large backpack.

That's all he had - a backpack.

A pair of jeans, 3 shirts, some socks, and a small clock radio. A wind breaker for a jacket.  Plus what he was wearing (jeans, shirt, tennies)

When it came time to move out in the summer, Hung (his name) piled his ENTIRE LIFE in to his backpack, slung it over his shoulder, and moved on.

He had what he wanted - a life, a future, in the USA.

'Stuff' is just an obstacle to him, something to slow him down. 

The other roommate ?

All he wanted was more 'stuff'.

My point is, happiness is, life is, what you make of it, what you want out of it. 

Your point well taken.

As to that refugee college student however , maybe so, maybe not.

He may have had just a backpack, but that did not mean he did not desire lots of stuff.  It may be that he could not afford much.   Perhaps if he won the lottery, he'll have more 'stuff'?

Maybe so, maybe not.

Sun Smiley             

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: November 28, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

LuckyLilly writes:

So now I dream of a nice 3 bedroom home with an office, no larger than 4,000 sf on an acre in a nice part of town and a summer home in the mountains. 

My dream is about 1/2 as big as yours. Smiley   2,000 s.f. is plenty for me, even less.  I just want a view of the mountains from one side and a pond or lake in the back from the other.  I do want 2 bathrooms, one for guests.  Funny how a lot of us grew up with 3 or 4 brothers & sisters and 1 bathroom and now the average home has 2 or 3 bathrooms & less people.

csfb writes:

I don't know if I can handle constant human company.

That's why God made dogs and cats.  (and the internet!)

Coin Toss asks:

Anyone remember George Carlin's hilarious comedy skit,

Exactly what I was thinking when I started this thread.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: December 1, 2007, 2:33 am - IP Logged

Anybody see NightLine last night?  They were showing houses on the Gold Coast of California that sales haven't been affected by the housing slump.  They're 10,000 sf on up and going for prices from 13 mil to over 100 mil and the real estate guy said they will probably sell for cash.  No sub-prime loans to get foreclosed on there.

I used to dream of having several of those type houses in various locations across the US including Hawaii, but somewhere along the way I got real and realized I'd be miserable in one of those.  Money isn't going to change my personality, and I'm a private person, a bit of a loner.  I'd be sitting in that humongous house all alone most of the year trying to hide from the housekeeper and the landscapers who would be there at least several days a week to keep it clean and maintained.  Maybe have one or 2 friends over a couple times a year and maybe a boyfriend if I ever find one of those.  It would be like living in a museum.

So now I dream of a nice 3 bedroom home with an office, no larger than 4,000 sf on an acre in a nice part of town and a summer home in the mountains.  Nice car, maybe two, like a Dodge Nitro or even a Mercedes but nothing over $75K.  Pay for myself and a friend to go on a nice trip once or twice a year.  Maybe get a T-1 internet connection at my home.  And I'm happy!

The problems with the economy don't affect the super-rich.

This is why, when times of trouble, 'expensive' restaurants don't lose as much, but middle ones get hurt: because the rich will still eat at classy places, but middle income and lower income folks won't go to the AppleB's, TGIF's, Olive G, Red Lob, Chili places as much, but instead will hit the McD, BK and TB more. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: December 1, 2007, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Your point well taken.

As to that refugee college student however , maybe so, maybe not.

He may have had just a backpack, but that did not mean he did not desire lots of stuff.  It may be that he could not afford much.   Perhaps if he won the lottery, he'll have more 'stuff'?

Maybe so, maybe not.

There is always someone to throw ice water on anything somebody says, hence why I don't even visit here much anymore.

In fact, we ran into this gentleman about 7 years ago, and nothing has changed.

He makes more than we (those of us that knew him earlier) do - and that's fine, that's not the issue, he lives in what we would consider a low-class neighborhood (again, we don't have a problem with it), and drives an old beat-up Hyundai.

HeII, for that matter, I DESIRE lots of stuff, but I don't have a lot of what I 'want', because I am disciplined enough to know the difference between what I want AND will actually use or enjoy, and what I WANT just to WANT.  I'm beyond acquiring 'stuff', it's an anchor, ties you down.  Then you trip over it.  Then it goes off to Goodwill... or EBay...  

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
          Member #38687
          May 3, 2006
          315 Posts
          Posted: December 1, 2007, 2:51 am - IP Logged

i don't need all those things.......just a regular 3bdrm house is good enough for me.....a nice car is a must but nothing like a rolls royce or anything...

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: December 1, 2007, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring wrote:

LuckyLilly writes:

So now I dream of a nice 3 bedroom home with an office, no larger than 4,000 sf on an acre in a nice part of town and a summer home in the mountains. 

My dream is about 1/2 as big as yours. Smiley   2,000 s.f. is plenty for me, even less.  I just want a view of the mountains from one side and a pond or lake in the back from the other.  I do want 2 bathrooms, one for guests.  Funny how a lot of us grew up with 3 or 4 brothers & sisters and 1 bathroom and now the average home has 2 or 3 bathrooms & less people.

Yep, my first thought was that 2500 sf was plenty for me, but then what if I really DO find a live-in boyfriend?  In that case, I'd need that extra 1500 sf for manspace.  A place for him to go to get out of my hair when I'm sick of him.  behind bars

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
              Washington State
              United States
              Member #33973
              February 26, 2006
              347 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2007, 3:14 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring wrote:

. . .  I do want 2 bathrooms, one for guests. . .

LOL.  I just have to comment on that.  When my late husband and I moved to my current house we had three bathrooms for two people and only rarely had guests.  I thought it rather excessive.  Now there is just me, occasional guests . . . and three cats and a dog.  While I find the guest bathroom rather nice, I appreciate even more that the cats have their own bathroom.  No kitty litter boxes and stink elsewhere, the IV bag setup for the cat who needs fluid infusion can stay set up, they have their own grooming counter, etc.  Now if I could just get those cats to use the toilet and flush it, I'd be really all set.

I might not want a really large house should I win the lottery, but I'll admit I've been spoiled enough to want a special "cat's room," complete with running water.

ontario
                Canada
                Member #56747
                December 1, 2007
                2 Posts
                Posted: December 1, 2007, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Ok, I am bit strange but if i won i would be getting rid of the house, packing everything up and buying a rather fancy backpac.

I love the idea of being able to get rid of it all and travel - and have enough money that when i came back i could settle down into the house of my dreams!

Rocket 455's avatar - rocket
                  Bellevue, KY
                  United States
                  Member #53340
                  July 4, 2007
                  2622 Posts
                  Posted: December 1, 2007, 4:25 pm - IP Logged

Fifty acres or more just outside the city limits with three cordwood houses, one for me and the wife and one for each of our sons, supplemental solar power/heat. Catfish pond/farm and a luthier's shop for building my own line of guitars and ukuleles.  A garden for growing our own veggies and herbs. New camaro Cool. Basically a self sustaining high tech redneck's dream.

She was made for the straitaways
                  She grew up hatin' Chevrolets
                  She's a rocket
                  She was made to burn. ~Kathy Mattea

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5583 Posts
                    Posted: December 1, 2007, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

My personal experience is that, the less you have in real life, the more you want lots of stuff.  The more you have in real life, the less your desire for lots of stuff.

Real life as in a happy, meaningful, productive life one assumes. 

This becomes clearer as one becomes older.  Your priorities change, mine certainly have, I just want the free time,  because work, no matter what you get paid, uses up your time.  And as far as I am concerned if I had more time to do what I really want to do, I would be happier.

United States
                      Member #56608
                      November 26, 2007
                      39 Posts
                      Posted: December 1, 2007, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

ahem.

I said it was a CUSTOM BUILT 10 million dollar home, far more expensive than a regular 10 million dollar home in a nice area because of all the extra and CUSTOM things that a regular home doesn't offer. Sound proofing, double layered brick, the steal ceiling, all the things that make it a "safe haven" from nature people the men in black aliens and myself. Extra large rooms, the athletic room, ect.

I'm sure if you thought bout it you would want a nice, spacious, customized built home in the area of your choice too.

I want to be in top notch health and add another 10-20 years to my life, so I want an atheltic room with weights and a boxing ring and stuff. I would still buy the 300 dollar bench press instead of the 3000 dollar bench press that does the same thing though - don't get it confused.

I would want an office room, a spacious one. For business, investments, projects, ect.

I would want a large hobby room for building things with clay, and other hobbies I might want to enjoy.

I would want a recording studio room for my music.

Enough bedrooms to have family visit.

I would want a control room for all the electronics.

I would want a safe room in the event the security is breached - adding to the "Safe haven" effect.

I would want a indoor pool.

And lots of others.

I'm not going to win 35 million dollars and live in a home with no indoor pool or athletic room or recording studio or home office or control room or safe room or hobby room and enough bed rooms for 7-10 family members to stay for a week or two.

I'm not going to buy a home already built either, that is insane.

Plus in my post I set aside MILLIONS to invest and keep.

Plus my home would be worth more than 10 million after it is completeted with all of the new updates and things, in the event I would have to sell it.

If you win 35Million and buy a 1million dollar home, you're a fool in my book.

My opinion.

After my 10Million dollar custom built fully customized home was worth 11.5Million in 2 years after all the upgrades, and my millions grew from the business and things, I would upgrade to a 15million dollar customized, custom built home.

:::beats chest::::

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: December 1, 2007, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

If you win 35Million and buy a 1million dollar home, you're a fool in my book.

Well then you should make sure that you also have a very large library.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10345 Posts
                          Posted: December 2, 2007, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

mech 2009

You have to consider someone's age when you're talking about $35,000,000 and how much goes on a house.

There are a lot of things to consider.

Not everyone wants to live your life.

Things that are important to you know you won't even care about a lot sooner than you think, time really does fly.

From the last staement in your last post, it sounds like you will never be satisfied. That sentence only went to prove "Maslow's Triangle", or Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.   

If you're not familiar with that, a real short version isAbraham Maslow said that as humans we all desire food, clothing, and shelter, and when we have that, we reach "self-actualization".  

But when we attain that, we want better food, clothing and shelter, and onlt then will we reach self actualization.

But whn that happens, we want even better food, clothing, and shelter, etc..etc..., and the cycle never ends.

The food, clothing, and shelter is only part of it, but you get the idea.

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                            Member #4121
                            March 23, 2004
                            817 Posts
                            Posted: December 3, 2007, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

If I won a major jackpot like the mega millions this tuesday.

I would not buy a $10 million mansion nor expensive jewelry.

No fancy sport car.

I would move into a nice 2-3 bedroom condo with a doorman.  500,000 - 700,000 

I would give away my old stuff, but would only keep the photos.

I would buy additional life insurance and health insurance.

Travel and help my family. etc etc

derek7's avatar - speedykat
                              IL
                              United States
                              Member #34578
                              March 4, 2006
                              198 Posts
                              Posted: December 3, 2007, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

New car or new house is something people usually upgrade to if they suddenly have slightly more money and they are unhappy with current ones. So for example if you win $$$ and your apartment lease expire, then you might want to upgrade...

In my case, it wouldn't be anything fancy. The biggest fun would be to get rid of alarm clock as I never would have to set it up every morning. 

I think I would destroy my alarm clock like they did to the printer in Office Space movie. 

Oh, and for fun I would probably buy some extra cars. Delorean DMC-12 (Back to The Future) and huge RV.

/Derek