Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where did you learn coding?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 8 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What is the biggest source of what you know now?

Self-study, books, internet [ 57 ]  [69.51%]
Classes in High-school, College [ 15 ]  [18.29%]
Learned at Work, on the Job [ 4 ]  [4.88%]
Other [ 6 ]  [7.32%]
Total Valid Votes [ 82 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: December 7, 2007, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering how people got to their current level of programming skill. I learned far, far more from the books I got online and studying on my own, than from the campus bookstore and the college profs.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3675 Posts
    Posted: December 7, 2007, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering how people got to their current level of programming skill. I learned far, far more from the books I got online and studying on my own, than from the campus bookstore and the college profs.

Part School and part Self learned. The time I was in High School I learned some, then when I was in 2 year Technical College I learned some. However, most of the stuff I know is Self instruction; sources from books, software, internet and other people.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19824 Posts
      Posted: December 7, 2007, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm totally self taught.  I started out with a TI-99 and move to a Commode64.  Both used their version of Basic so later when I bought a Tandy1000(an IBM compatible), I only had to learn to the extra features in Tandy Basic which was similar to GWBasic which I started using after up from the 8088 Tandy 1000. 

I'm still using GWBasic, but I did invest in Visual Basic a few years back but never took the time to learn it, besides I would have to rewrite all my programs.  I downloaded a trial copy of Liberty Basic a month back and used the tutorial that came with it to check it out and was impressed enough to consider buying a copy of it since it's written for Windows.   Then again I may just save $50 and dig out my copy of Visual Basic and start learning it instead.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LottoMining's avatar - lightbulb
        California
        United States
        Member #48843
        January 11, 2007
        27 Posts
        Posted: December 7, 2007, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I'm mostly self taught, though learning on the job over the last 10 or so years comes in second.  I'm still "climbing the mountain" of learning new technology/techniques and have the energy to continue with it.  Books, online content and magazines have been the most helpful since things change frequently, once you're out of school the content gets dated rather quickly.  My next door neighbor was a Computer Science major from the US Naval Academy and since she didn't use it for 5 to 7 years her education became rather obsolete, what can be remembered that is.   

It greatly helps to have an interesting data-set to code against.

United Kingdom
          Member #31295
          January 27, 2006
          73 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2007, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

I started with Basic on a Vic20. Then moved to an Amiga and learned Assembly language. Bought a PC and learned about visual basic. Then moved onto C++ and Java while doing a Computer Science degree. Learned a lot about data structures and algorithms which speeds up programs a lot.

Manila
            Philippines
            Member #56950
            December 10, 2007
            10 Posts
            Posted: December 11, 2007, 2:12 am - IP Logged

right now, im quite a newbie ni coding. but i trying to study through online tutorials, books, etc. :)

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: December 11, 2007, 5:03 am - IP Logged

I am surprised (and amused) that so many people learned by self-study.

I had a VIC-20, too. Big Grin Massive 3583 bytes of free memory.

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United Kingdom
                Member #31295
                January 27, 2006
                73 Posts
                Posted: December 11, 2007, 7:55 am - IP Logged

I am surprised (and amused) that so many people learned by self-study.

I had a VIC-20, too. Big Grin Massive 3583 bytes of free memory.

Ah but it's not the size that matters but what you do with it. Big Smile

Remember the huge 16k ram paks that you slotted into the back of the machine. And the games use to be on rom cartridges. Remember when you could program your own games and sell them?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: December 13, 2007, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I took some computer courses years after I finished college.  I took evening courses after work at local colleges. (late 70s, early-mid 80s) I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.

What? 

I completed BASIC, COBOL, and dropped out of Fortran before I had a nervous breakdown.

It's been almost 30 years, but when I start to see a lot of zeros and ones, I hide in the closet. The rest is a total blank to me now. When I hear "algorithmic language" I think of our former Vice President talking about global warming.

I guess I'll stick to surfing the net and playing pinball.  Smiley 

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: December 13, 2007, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

I started this thread because I was wading through a pile of ... excusesUnhappy, on another topic, and I needed to get some neutral data on this particular point. Big Grin

I was also testing a theory Skeptical regarding non-coders who have trouble finding someone to convert their ideas into a program. It seems some have trouble converting their ideas into coherence, too. Crazy

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10348 Posts
                      Posted: December 13, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

I was in a CIS program at a community college (Computer Information Systems, not coding) and learned some things, but then I took some Adult ed. classes and they made a lot more sense - hands on stuff, no reports to write, and no very confusing textbook tutorials to go through.

As for the coding, I wish you all well, but we're yet to see a jackpot winner or anyone making a living off of even pick 3.  

Personally, in re: to lotto, I'll stick to paper and pencil "coding", it's more fun to work out and you stop yourself at a couple of bucks.

To each their own.  

Good luck.

PS

Oh yeah, you ahould see the code the state lottery and MM and PB have.

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: December 13, 2007, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I started this thread because I was wading through a pile of ... excusesUnhappy, on another topic, and I needed to get some neutral data on this particular point. Big Grin

I was also testing a theory Skeptical regarding non-coders who have trouble finding someone to convert their ideas into a program. It seems some have trouble converting their ideas into coherence, too. Crazy

Are you picking on me?  Chair

Smash    Order in the court!  Order in the court.

Okay, I'll have a burger, medium rare & a side of fries.   Jester Laugh

Anyway, I thought you said computer cod.  No wonder this whole thread sounded fishy to me.

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: December 13, 2007, 8:44 pm - IP Logged

No, jxp, not picking on you. Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19824 Posts
                            Posted: December 13, 2007, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

There are plenty of people who covert ideas into programs every day, and they do it for a living.  People who whine about not finding anyone to covert their ideas into a program have not bother to contact one of these people because they probably know their ideas is not worth someones time if they expect to be paid for it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: December 21, 2007, 11:00 am - IP Logged

right now, im quite a newbie ni coding. but i trying to study through online tutorials, books, etc. :)

Looks like most of the really sharp people here have done exactly that. Wow.Eek