Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 8:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where did you learn coding?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 8 years ago by time*treat.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What is the biggest source of what you know now?

Self-study, books, internet [ 57 ]  [69.51%]
Classes in High-school, College [ 15 ]  [18.29%]
Learned at Work, on the Job [ 4 ]  [4.88%]
Other [ 6 ]  [7.32%]
Total Valid Votes [ 82 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
The Quantum Master
West Concord, MN
United States
Member #21
December 7, 2001
3685 Posts
Posted: March 12, 2008, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I can now add C++ to my arsenal programming skills. After a few weeks of self study, I think I'm getting it. I've been working with a variety of documentation, but the best one I've found so far is SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, 5th edition, Jesse Liberty, Bradley Jones.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
Knowledge is Beyond Belief
Wisdom is Not Censored
Douglas Paul Smallish
Jehocifer

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2008, 3:00 am - IP Logged

I've never been good at C, or cared for its syntax, but I have a few sam's books so I figure they could teach it decent.

JADE, what is C letting you do easier than whatever language you were using before? 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

The Quantum Master
      West Concord, MN
      United States
      Member #21
      December 7, 2001
      3685 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2008, 3:52 am - IP Logged

time*treat,

C++ is more powerful and faster than higher level languages like BASIC, Quick Basic, Visual Basic or COBOL. It's close enough to Assembly language to be almost Assembly, but without the cryptic 3 or 4 letter mnemonic. Plus it helps in organizing code in a way that was always hard to do in Assembly. Assembly language is just one step above the actual machine code, which is just 1's and 0's. C++ is just one step above Assembly, likewise. In addition, C++ is far more flexible than higher languages like BASIC or COBOL. There are far more coding tweaks, manipulations, techniques and lower level functions that are hard to impossible to do in the higher level languages.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
      Douglas Paul Smallish
      Jehocifer

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2008, 3:45 am - IP Logged

Heh, I had forgotten about assembly. I did pretty good at that. I just picked up a C++ in 21 book (4th ed.), so I'll see if I can learn a new trick or two in the next couple of months. Thumbs Up

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Fayetteville, Arkansas
          United States
          Member #58962
          March 2, 2008
          29 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2008, 4:07 am - IP Logged

I am almost completely self-taught; I think the only thing I got out of taking a few computer classes was the idea of modular programming.

I was doing school in the late 1970s when a friend of mine showed me a puzzle contest he subscribed to. Every couple of weeks there was a new puzzle, and there was a valuable prize to be won. I had no experience with computers at all, at this point, but from what I had heard about them it seemed that a computer would be able to solve the puzzles handily. I signed up for a course in Fortran IV, but it was too slow. I taught myself from the textbook and quit going to class. I wrote the program I wanted and it worked, getting me into the last tiebreaker. To win, I needed to learn more about programming and I needed more access than I could get to the school's PDP-11.

When my friend saw the level of success I was having, he borrowed several thousand dollars from his rich brother and bought an Apple II+, which he gave me access to when he wasn't writing his own program to do the same thing. I learned Basic from Apple's manual, translated my program and went on.

I never learned enough to win the last tiebreaker, which was a lot harder than the puzzles leading up to it. Before I could, the contest changed its rules and made winners sign an affidavit that no data processing equipment had been used to win. I knew then that only people who had no problem signing false statements would be able to win the contest, and abandoned my project. However, since then, I've found many, many uses for programming. I've even published a book based on some programs I've written.

I miss the Basic compiler that used to be included with MS-Dos. I've never found anything better for programming "on the fly."

The balls have no memory.

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2008, 10:07 am - IP Logged

"I knew then that only people who had no problem signing false statements would be able to win the contest"

LOLLOL Yeah, they probably are the same people who got those "liar-loan" no-doc mortgages, too. LOLLOL

The Quantum Master
              West Concord, MN
              United States
              Member #21
              December 7, 2001
              3685 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2008, 10:16 am - IP Logged

Heh, I had forgotten about assembly. I did pretty good at that. I just picked up a C++ in 21 book (4th ed.), so I'll see if I can learn a new trick or two in the next couple of months. Thumbs Up

Great, hope you'll get the hang of it. Took me a little while, but it's working out well. I think with the basic understanding of programming semantics and form, you should get it too.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
              Douglas Paul Smallish
              Jehocifer

The Quantum Master
                West Concord, MN
                United States
                Member #21
                December 7, 2001
                3685 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2008, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Oh, and also... if you don't have a C++ complier, you can get one at http://www.bloodshed.net/. This is referenced in another book by the same publisher in the same subject matter, Learn C in 21 days. There you can find a free C++ complier. Something simple for testing code from the book.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                Douglas Paul Smallish
                Jehocifer

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                  Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23352 Posts
                  Posted: April 14, 2008, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Self-taught.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                  What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                  Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                    NC
                    United States
                    Member #29378
                    January 1, 2006
                    552 Posts
                    Posted: April 14, 2008, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Learned HEX code for 6800 & 6811 in college... Learned C, C++, and G++ also at college... Taught myself most of excel - work in progress... Would love to learn something like visual c# or some visual basic, just can't seem to find the time - eventually, Pogo

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1958 Posts
                      Posted: April 14, 2008, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

I learned Visual Basic in high school, but I'm self taught in C++. I'm very glad I learned C++ though because I added so much stuff to my system that required so much speed, that eventually, when coded into a Visual Basic program, the program would stop responding. The C++ version takes hardly any time at all.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: April 15, 2008, 2:23 am - IP Logged

I haven't started in my C++, yet, but M$ just announced they will discontinue supporting VB6, so it looks like I'll have to eventually learn something new as later OSes may not have the runtimes I might need.

I don't intend for my next OS to come from Redmond, though. Dead

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                          Member #9517
                          December 10, 2004
                          1281 Posts
                          Posted: April 24, 2008, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

I learned myself basic on an old 8-bit computer called BBC Electron in the 80s and learned Turbo Pascal on college in the early 90s.

Don't think I have done any real coding since 1997. I would like to start programming again, just need to get the inspiration. The inspiration might be if I could come up with a good prediction method for the lotteries, or I want to turn my Excel statistics sheet into software.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #29378
                            January 1, 2006
                            552 Posts
                            Posted: May 1, 2008, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

I learned myself basic on an old 8-bit computer called BBC Electron in the 80s and learned Turbo Pascal on college in the early 90s.

Don't think I have done any real coding since 1997. I would like to start programming again, just need to get the inspiration. The inspiration might be if I could come up with a good prediction method for the lotteries, or I want to turn my Excel statistics sheet into software.

Wow, yeah - I don't think I've done any real coding since end of 1999 or beginning of 2000... Except for the excel stuff but that's not really coding it's more like gentle manipulation of weak formulas... lol, Pogo

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                              Member #9517
                              December 10, 2004
                              1281 Posts
                              Posted: May 15, 2008, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Wow, yeah - I don't think I've done any real coding since end of 1999 or beginning of 2000... Except for the excel stuff but that's not really coding it's more like gentle manipulation of weak formulas... lol, Pogo

I've just bought MS Visual Studio 2008 Professional. Perhaps I will "get the sparkle back".