Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where did you learn coding?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 8 years ago by time*treat.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What is the biggest source of what you know now?

Self-study, books, internet [ 57 ]  [69.51%]
Classes in High-school, College [ 15 ]  [18.29%]
Learned at Work, on the Job [ 4 ]  [4.88%]
Other [ 6 ]  [7.32%]
Total Valid Votes [ 82 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
CT
United States
Member #61398
May 21, 2008
781 Posts
Posted: May 23, 2008, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I went to College for Computer Science & Engineering, picked most of it up there.  Used to program a bit in high school on the Ti-86 calculator while bored in class.  The rest I picked up on the job as a Software Engineer / Application Developer. 

I use C# Windows Apps for my Lotto junk, the language has quite a bit of functionality and is quite similar to C++.  With a nice Visual Studio development environment, hammering out applications with nice displays and organization isn't nearly as difficult to accomplish as it is in C++. Besides, most of my actual work these days is on web based applications, so we write everything in C# .NET.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
    Member #13130
    March 30, 2005
    2171 Posts
    Posted: June 20, 2008, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Wow, yeah - I don't think I've done any real coding since end of 1999 or beginning of 2000... Except for the excel stuff but that's not really coding it's more like gentle manipulation of weak formulas... lol, Pogo

You can do a great deal with the Visual Basic, in Excel. Those formulas can get surprisingly elaborate.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: June 20, 2008, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I've just bought MS Visual Studio 2008 Professional. Perhaps I will "get the sparkle back".

I've been using VS2008 for about a year now, and I feel confident saying it's the best development environment and languages I have ever used.  And I have used most of them.  (I probably know about 16-18 computer languages fairly fluently.)

It is such a powerful set of tools, and they take the drudgery out of common, detail-oriented tasks.  For example, creating a Windows service has never been easier.

Plus, the .NET 3.5 language enhancements are just dynamite.  I use them whenever I can.

Good luck with getting that sparkle back! Thumbs Up

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
        The Quantum Master
        West Concord, MN
        United States
        Member #21
        December 7, 2001
        3675 Posts
        Posted: June 21, 2008, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

I've just bought MS Visual Studio 2008 Professional. Perhaps I will "get the sparkle back".

I've had VS 2008 PRO for a month or so... it's kick azs.

There is so much that can be done that I had to go out and buy additional books on 'how to' and 'self instruction' beyond my VB6 knowledge.

In addition to learning C++, I'll be learning C# and many subheadings under each language.

I love the integration of different programming platforms in one easy IDE.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
        Wisdom is Not Censored
        Douglas Paul Smallish
        Jehocifer

CT
          United States
          Member #61398
          May 21, 2008
          781 Posts
          Posted: June 21, 2008, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

VS 2008 is the way to go.  We've been using it at work for some time now.  We're a C# shop mainly, but also frequently use VB, Java, JavaScript, SQL, etc etc.

ptcruiser70's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg
            roanoke
            United States
            Member #61831
            June 6, 2008
            439 Posts
            Posted: July 24, 2008, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

how are you todd

wantmoney's avatar - chess smart.jpg
              Delaware
              Greenland
              Member #58665
              February 23, 2008
              28 Posts
              Posted: August 30, 2008, 2:04 am - IP Logged

There are lots of materials to improve our skills in coding.  I think it depends on ourselves but NOT methods.

(My option is the first term)  Practice is same important as learning.

United States
                Member #10720
                January 23, 2005
                933 Posts
                Posted: August 31, 2008, 9:13 am - IP Logged

My first computer was as Commodore VIC=20 in 1982. Back then there wasn't much "software" and if there was it was expensive and in the form of a cumbersome plug-in cartridge. I was fascinated with this computer and wrote several games and "homework helpers" and shocked my Spanish teacher by turning homework in dot-matrix even with the tilde (~) over the "n". The C64 was next and similar to the VIC.

The Amiga was a lot more difficult to program and the mac and PC I didn't have the $ to buy expensive programming tools, so I was not programming for a while. Then I got hold of Microsoft QuickBASIC and wrote a program for the Jersey Cash 5, and one time it did match all 5 numbers! Then Visual Studio .net came out. (I didn't like VS6 and below.) I used a demo at first to make my first Pocket PC app and in C# because I liked it and it could be used for Pocket PC.

More recently Visual C# "Express" came out. This is the greatest thing since they invented Dunkin' Donuts, and it's FREE! The only thing I don't know how to use it for Pocket PC so I use C# Exp. for desktop apps, and the older VS2003 for maintaining the Pocket PC app. The Pocket PC is very convenient because it can be easily used "on the spot" right at the Lottery terminal and back-testing can be conducted while waiting for my girlfriend to shop for shoes or on the long lines at Dunkin' Donuts.

Of course I write more than Lottery programs. I have one that can quickly fetch news articles and photos without needing a browser, and other ones assist with editing restaurant menus.

I only had a very few classes in college that dealt with programming, on a Radio Shack TRS-80 I think, in BASIC.

lvision's avatar - thedoc
                  brooklyn,new york
                  United States
                  Member #64818
                  September 8, 2008
                  16 Posts
                  Posted: September 11, 2008, 1:38 am - IP Logged

So why dont all of us get together with ALL OF our ideas and expertise to create a computer program that can compute winning numbers 62.222222% percent of the time! LETS START TODAY!I Agree!

You know what luck is? Luck is believing you're lucky...to hold front position in this rat-race you've got to believe you're lucky." - This is because "Luck sometimes visits a fool, but it never sits down with him."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: September 19, 2008, 8:50 pm - IP Logged

So why dont all of us get together with ALL OF our ideas and expertise to create a computer program that can compute winning numbers 62.222222% percent of the time! LETS START TODAY!I Agree!

Ideas are abound at LP, just read any thread and you will see someone explaining their ideas about how to win the lottery.   If you are a programmer without any ideas then you won't have any trouble finding plenty of ideas to program.   But if you just have some ideas that you want someone to program then you're going that a path that has been traveled by other LP members before without much luck.

If you are a programmer, create a program and start a thread about it and you'll get all kinds of advise and ideas about how to improve it.

Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #13130
                      March 30, 2005
                      2171 Posts
                      Posted: November 7, 2008, 5:04 am - IP Logged

If our systems can all predict the winning combo on a given day, then combining them (or cross-filtering them and playing the 'common' numbers) would make for a great system. I don't know if you'd get 60%, but with p5 and up, you don't have to.

(Thanks to Todd for cleaning up the thread)

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

CT
                        United States
                        Member #61398
                        May 21, 2008
                        781 Posts
                        Posted: November 7, 2008, 10:41 am - IP Logged

If our systems can all predict the winning combo on a given day, then combining them (or cross-filtering them and playing the 'common' numbers) would make for a great system. I don't know if you'd get 60%, but with p5 and up, you don't have to.

(Thanks to Todd for cleaning up the thread)

The problem is that of two systems predict winning combinations on different days, combining them each day may be counter productive.  If system A were to produce numbers 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10, and system B were to produce 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15, combining them would create 5-6-7-8-9-10.  If the draw results were 2-3-4-5-6 we would be left with a 2 of 5 match where simply taking the output from System A would have given a 5 of 5 match.  This would only prove produvtive if 2 systems consistently produced different correct numbers for each draw.

United States
                          Member #13130
                          March 30, 2005
                          2171 Posts
                          Posted: November 7, 2008, 11:32 am - IP Logged

Ah, by "same numbers", I meant same combo. There is only one 5/5 correct per drawing. Cheers

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19828 Posts
                            Posted: November 19, 2008, 10:18 am - IP Logged

Ah, by "same numbers", I meant same combo. There is only one 5/5 correct per drawing. Cheers

The problem is, if each system gets a 4of5 then combining them could result in a 2of5.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United Kingdom
                              Member #67319
                              November 23, 2008
                              227 Posts
                              Posted: November 27, 2008, 6:28 am - IP Logged

I started this thread because I was wading through a pile of ... excusesUnhappy, on another topic, and I needed to get some neutral data on this particular point. Big Grin

I was also testing a theory Skeptical regarding non-coders who have trouble finding someone to convert their ideas into a program. It seems some have trouble converting their ideas into coherence, too. Crazy

Hi time treat I am an no coder with a system that needs to be coded,at 67 I don't intend to start, I use what is available on the spreadsheet there are in my opinion many people who can't  use code but proffess they can,the lottery needs a good IT expert to manipulate the system, I beleive it's not what you see but what you don't look for that is the answer,and have done what I needed to do manually inserting filters to get the result, you have to use the lottery system and throw it back at it to bring the correct answer out in my opinion,I don't know about the ways you are all using on this site,I for one could do with someone with the coding experience to motivate my system.

aberdeennut