Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Someone should tell these people

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Lotterologist.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2007, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I once printed a paper with LP address on it, got me some tape and when to my favorite gas station where they had a section where you can play lottery...On their glass door i placed the paper with some tape, the paper also said "We've got good predictions for any lottery and any state"....I even thought of doing that to every gas station in my town...Well that was when i was in the States, right now i am in Panama...Maybe you/we could do the same thing but instead of placing LP adress on it, we say: Stop playing the combinations 1,2,3,4,5,6 and birthday dates because 3 to 7 thousand maybe more if you account the birthday dates will win the same jackpot and if you win you will have to share it with 3 to 7 thousand more people maybe even more..

I'll like to know what's the number of people that play birthday dates...

"The lotto Truth is Out There..."               "Taken from context of the movie "The X-Files"..."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10348 Posts
    Posted: December 12, 2007, 12:03 am - IP Logged

What Gail Howard said was don't make all of your numbers 31 or less, because a lot of people play birthdays, which can only be 1 to 31, and if you hiy such a ticket you may be aplitting the jackpot many ways.

A lot of people do play 1 2 3 4 5 6 , but a lot of people also think Lo ball poker sounds like a great game because they always get 'bad' cards- so they go into Lo ball pots with pairs of Kings and such!

Wink

As for "idiots", well, lotto players are only idiots until they hit something, then it's, "Hi ole buddy ole pal"!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Thoth's avatar - binary
      Findlay, Ohio
      United States
      Member #4855
      May 28, 2004
      400 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2007, 12:22 am - IP Logged

I've also read (Gail Howard) about how many people play the combo 123456 in the 6/49 games.  While she's probably right about that and how small everyones take would be if the number did come up, she goes on to incorrectly assume that that combo will most likely never be drawn because "its numbers are too far out of balance" with regards to all six digits being so low in the ball set matrix.

It's just as probable to see that combo drawn as it is any other number that wins on any given day.  That would be like saying 123 wont be drawn in Pick 3 or 1234 in the Pick 4.

Expecting the unexpected...

In 9,692,843 random 6 of 49 drawings, there is only a 50% chance that youll see 123456 get drawn (or any other specific combo for that matter).

The odds of a 6 of 49 game are about 1 in 13.98 million. If you played 123456 for 13.98 million games, there is a 63.21% chance that 123456 will be drawn.

To get closer to certainty, there is a 99% chance that 123456 will be drawn within 64,397,850 games. LOL... if you had that kind of money (and time) to spend chasing one number, why even play to bein with? Bash

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

benmas's avatar - waveform
        Rhode Island
        United States
        Member #56010
        October 28, 2007
        434 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2007, 12:46 am - IP Logged

If they stopped playing those numbers then it would make it more difficult for us to hit it ..also it helps to grow the jackpot ...dont tell them to stop playing 123456 otherwise our chances go down (slightly)...we need every tiny percentage advanatage we can get

paurths's avatar - underground
          Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
          Belgium
          Member #19287
          July 29, 2005
          2254 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2007, 12:50 am - IP Logged

If they stopped playing those numbers then it would make it more difficult for us to hit it ..also it helps to grow the jackpot ...dont tell them to stop playing 123456 otherwise our chances go down (slightly)...we need every tiny percentage advanatage we can get

If someone plays 123456 and suddenly stops playing those (or even stops playing at all), no one elses chances go up, or down.

If she or he decides to play other numbers, the only reflection this could have on someone else playing numbers in the same game is that the winnings might have to be split. 

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2007, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Is that what you've been trying to do? Big Smile

Whoa, I was quoting another member.  I never called anyone an idiot.   Unfortunately, people on this board are very hostile.

JadeLottery was saying that people who play certain combinations weren't very bright and used the word "idiot" and I was responding to his remark.

I agree with RJOH about the low numbers.  Many times a Fantasy 5 jackpot in FL has been won by 1 person and sometimes it has been hit by 10.  Of course I'd want to win $280,000 but what's wrong with $28,000 for a buck?  Then I've seen a similar combination of numbers, where 2 or 3 of the same numbers are drawn and the others are only +1 or +2 and nobody hits the jackpot.

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

If someone plays 123456 and suddenly stops playing those (or even stops playing at all), no one elses chances go up, or down.

If she or he decides to play other numbers, the only reflection this could have on someone else playing numbers in the same game is that the winnings might have to be split. 

I Agree!

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:36 am - IP Logged

LOL It would be interesting to see what would happen if that combination fell! LOL

I'd never play those numbers, but I'd pay good money to see them come up just to find out what would really happen and enjoy the mayhem.

I don't know about other states, but in the early 80's New York ran ads in the paper telling people to stop playing obvious patterns. At that time, the most common combination played for NY lotto was the combination that ran diagonally down and right from the top corner of the playslip. Down and left from the top right corner was the second most common. I believe they said that close to 10,000 people played  each of those combinations every drawing.  AFAIR, they said nothing about 1,2,3,4,5,6, but I'm sure it's a safe bet that it's played by many people. One of my coworkers back then told me he played it, but that was because he figured most people would avoid it. This was back when a big jackpot was 5 to 7 million. There was no cash option, but I believe the rules did call for a lump sum if the annual payments were below a certain level.  The actual payouts for one of the diagonals could have been as little as  250 bucks, figuring a cash value of 2.5 million split 10,000 ways. I've always wondered how many of those winners wouldn't have a job by the time they found out what they had really won. It can be really embarassing trying to get your job back if you've told your boss what you really think of them.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:41 am - IP Logged

As seen on the documentary, "The Curse Of The Lottery", many times IDIOTS are the BIG WINNERS!!!!

Oftentimes Good Luck flows in OPPOSITION to intelligence. Cool

Since the lottery is pretty close to random we can be sure of certain things.

If 1% of players are named Fred then 1% of winners will be named Fred.

If 20% of players went to college then 20% of winners went to college.

If 48% of players are male then 48% of winners are male.

If x% of winners are idiots, then x% of players are idiots.

The only thing we can't be sure of is the specific requirements  to qualify as an idiot.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:43 am - IP Logged

There is a huge difference between splitting a jackpot with one person and splitting it with 3000 to 7000 people. The before tax cash value of tonight's Mega Millions jackpot is about $70 million and if 3500 players shared, they would each get $20,000. Five numbers without the Mega Ball pays 10 times more.

We hear people saying "if I had one more number" but never "if I had one less number".

If one of the heavily played combinations wins I'd guess there would also be an unusally high number of 2nd place winners, and the payouts would be pari-mutuel. The big mystery is how many 2nd place winners there would be for 1,2,3,4,5 and 6. My guess is that a lot of people consider that and decide that it's an unlikely/popular/bizarre combination and change one or two of the numbers. I wouldn't be at all suprised to find out that thousands of people play 1,2,3,4,5 and a mega or power ball other than 6. For pick 5 and 6 games I'd guess  plenty of people play 4 or 5 in a row and then one that doesn't continue the pattern. The Second  prize could be bigger than first prize, but  I'd expect it to be 10 to 100% bigger, and nowhere close to it's usual amount.

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: December 12, 2007, 2:50 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd writes: I don't know about other states, but in the early 80's New York ran ads in the paper telling people to stop playing obvious patterns. At that time, the most common combination played for NY lotto was the combination that ran diagonally down and right from the top corner of the playslip

I mentioned a few weeks ago that I got back a ticket that had 2 combinations and I had only played 1.  It was one of those "mistakes" we talk about on the board.  Maybe there was dust in the terminal or on the card.  However, the next week I figured I'd do something new - play the mistake that was printed the previous week.  13-20-27-34-41-48   When the clerk handed me the slip the first time, I should have noticed that each number was +7 but I didn't and just paid for the extra line.  When I filled out the card the next week, it was a straight line down the Lotto card.  I played it once or twice and then stopped. 

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
                        Lotto City, Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #36256
                        March 30, 2006
                        1472 Posts
                        Posted: December 12, 2007, 8:08 am - IP Logged

justxploring: "Whoa, I was quoting another member."

I meant were you here on Lottery Post trying to find a way to win? Smile

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
                          Lotto City, Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #36256
                          March 30, 2006
                          1472 Posts
                          Posted: December 12, 2007, 8:15 am - IP Logged

Ky Floyd: "It can really be embarrassing trying to get your job back if you've told your boss what you really think of them".

LOL I'd also like to see that! Big Grin