Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buyer's remorse

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 9 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Do you feel Buyer's remorse after buying a losing lotto ticket?

Yes [ 14 ]  [23.73%]
No [ 27 ]  [45.76%]
sometimes [ 18 ]  [30.51%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Today I went to a candy store, and overheard a lady.  She said"I came into the store with $19 and leave with nothing." with a sad voice. 

Do you feel Buyer's remorse after buying a losing lotto ticket?

I do sometimes.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Did she lose on Scratch offs?  or online game?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
      Member #4121
      March 23, 2004
      817 Posts
      Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

I don't know.

JAP69's avatar - alas
        South Carolina
        United States
        Member #6
        November 4, 2001
        8790 Posts
        Posted: January 9, 2008, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Probably just discouraged with cost of inflation.

Just read an article on msn money today how wage increases have not kept up with cost of living for a great many years.

20 dollars does not buy much of squat today.

WHATT

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4525 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2008, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

I voted sometimes. Especially when I pick the numbers thru a system and truly beleive its a hit. Only to watch the draw and not see any of the numbers show up!

Same with buying a NEW game from a scratch off. Figuring in the beginning they are luring folks in with more winners at the beginning of the game. Thus far that theory hasnt worked in my favor.

Most times I can say I keep it real and understand that its a risk and the down side can be a loss. THe upside is, the possiblity is still there that lady luck will shine.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

benmas's avatar - waveform
            Rhode Island
            United States
            Member #56010
            October 28, 2007
            434 Posts
            Posted: January 10, 2008, 12:25 am - IP Logged

No i dont feel remorse..the odds of lotto are you are going to have net losses 9 out of 10 times.

If one is serious about playing any game (sports, lotto etc) we must accept losing as part of the game.

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: January 10, 2008, 1:05 am - IP Logged

I doubt the average lottery player looks at loosing tickets and feels remorse. I think they feel let down when they are looking a a losing ticket and get a high off of winning.

There might be some people who feel remorse when they have spent far to much of the grocery or bill money on lottery tickets and continuously lose money. Remorse implies guilt.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: January 10, 2008, 1:09 am - IP Logged

I checked that I don't feel remorse, but maybe I should have checked sometimes.  Once in a while I run out at the last minute and get an extra ticket or I add a QP to my purchase.  That's really the only time I say "that was a waste of a buck."  But I never feel that way when I lose with my regular or "budgeted" plays, because I already know the odds. 

I do agree that inflation has a lot to do with it too. If you drive only 30 miles each way to work and get 25mpg in the city, you are spending close to $40 a week on gas (not counting the weekend)  I just bought a 1/2 dozen eggs tonight and they were $1.09 and I paid that for a dozen just a year ago!  $1.79 for a quart of milk?  I don't know how a family of 4 makes it through the week.

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
                  mississippi
                  United States
                  Member #34478
                  March 3, 2006
                  5903 Posts
                  Posted: January 10, 2008, 2:01 am - IP Logged

oh yeah..I feel it..hahaha..I hate to lose PERIOD!!!!...I know I cant win everyday..every week..every month..but I sure hate to lose..when I find a set of numbers then damit I want them to show right now..hahaha..not tomorrow or next day..or 3 days later or a week..I want them the next draw..but I cant account for everything else so I have to wait..but I sure hate to wait..good luck everyone!!!

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
                    mississippi
                    United States
                    Member #34478
                    March 3, 2006
                    5903 Posts
                    Posted: January 10, 2008, 2:07 am - IP Logged

I checked that I don't feel remorse, but maybe I should have checked sometimes.  Once in a while I run out at the last minute and get an extra ticket or I add a QP to my purchase.  That's really the only time I say "that was a waste of a buck."  But I never feel that way when I lose with my regular or "budgeted" plays, because I already know the odds. 

I do agree that inflation has a lot to do with it too. If you drive only 30 miles each way to work and get 25mpg in the city, you are spending close to $40 a week on gas (not counting the weekend)  I just bought a 1/2 dozen eggs tonight and they were $1.09 and I paid that for a dozen just a year ago!  $1.79 for a quart of milk?  I don't know how a family of 4 makes it through the week.

Justxploring..let me tell you something..I am disabled..so I know how tough things are and can get..I am very thankful for what little bit I get but it sure is no where near enough..good thing I am not dating any women.."Heh Honey..would you like to go to Bugerking tonight or McDonalds"..HAHAHA

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10351 Posts
                      Posted: January 10, 2008, 2:30 am - IP Logged

Never thought of it as buyer's remorse - when you buy the ticket you hope it's a winner- but after the drawing I've looked at Mega Millions tickets and wondered why I play Mega Millions. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                        Member #52345
                        May 21, 2007
                        2659 Posts
                        Posted: January 10, 2008, 7:42 am - IP Logged

I  think we could all kick our selves @ times when we wind up with losers ...... but then que sera sera Roll Eyes

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: January 10, 2008, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I guess I'm like Pavlov's dog or Harley (my favorite puppy) he scarfs down some tasty steak or chicken in seconds, then comes over with that look on his face, you know: like is there more?  And he'll have that look on his face for the rest of the night, especially if we're in the kitchen.

Go to fullsize image No remorse.

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                            Member #55246
                            September 20, 2007
                            225 Posts
                            Posted: January 10, 2008, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Did she lose on Scratch offs?  or online game?

I voted "no remorse". I only spend $2.00 a week on lotto tickets (used to be Megamillions, but now I play our state's 2X weekly Superlotto), the amount I can afford to lose. I think you will feel more remorse on losing with Scatch Offs because you immediately know you lose before you leave the store. With the Megamillions or Superlotto you get to play the same numbers in advance, if those numbers don't hit now- well there is always the next time.

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                              Florida
                              United States
                              Member #46570
                              September 14, 2006
                              558 Posts
                              Posted: January 10, 2008, 10:46 am - IP Logged

I dont feel remorse when I look at a losing ticket I played, but rather, feel that I just have to stop and play my tickets that I wrote down using my system because if they come out and I decided to just drive by the store and not play, chances are that my number would come out...  and you all know Murphy's Law, right?  I've actually lost a couple of times because I was either tired,lazy or was running late for something and drove past the store where I usually play my lotto tickets and didnt play only to find out the next day checking my numbers to see that most or all of them came out. You just never know...

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!