Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Count your tickets, check numbers

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Yaddamean.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2008, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I know one common topic on Lottery Post is discussing checking your numbers online and in the paper first before going to a store.  This is not only because of a possible mistake, but also in case a clerk is dishonest.  However, I'd like to share what happened to me about 20 minutes ago. 

It's very cold & windy (for South Florida) so I put on my 25 year old ski parka (still looks great) and went to 7-11.  On Sat night I won $5.00 getting 3/6 in Lotto and 2 Free Tickets getting 2/5 in Fantasy5.  I wanted to use them tonight.

I waited in line and handed my winning tickets to the young man behind the counter.  I said "I won $5 and 2 Free Tickets" and he went to the lottery machine.  He took my cards and came back with my new tickets. I'm usually very polite, but I wanted to look at them & didn't move, even though 2 people were in back of me. (He was able to wait on them anyway.)  I counted 1,2,3,4 Lotto and 1 Fantasy5 and 1 Free Ticket.  He said "that's what you won."  I said "No, I won 2  free draws, I'm positive."  He looked through his pile of validation slips and mixed in was one Fantasy5 quick pick which said "Free" on it.  When I got home I checked the time on the ticket and it was printed in-between the others, so it's mine.

I am sure this was an honest mistake by someone who was working alone and just wasn't paying attention.  However, never walk out without making sure you have the correct change, the correct tickets and, as always, write down what you won before you go to a retailer. This might seem petty, but what if that free ticket wins $200,000 tonight?  (fingers crossed)

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2008, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

Great advice.

I went to a place last week I am never going to go to again.  The clerica took each of my slips and as each of the tickets was printing she was looking at them individually!  Then she tried to short me $10!

So I says to her: " oyeme hija, me debes dies dolares, por favor no jueges con migo" she handed me my $10 and walked away. No mas baby.

Cussing Face

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7298 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2008, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I'm hooked on Ohio's Ten-Oh game because I'm winning, but getting and checking the tickets almost doesn't make it worth it. I chose my own numbers so I have to fill a different play slip for every combination and had to create a system just to check my tickets before leaving the counter.

Some clerks will try to put in the next play slip before the machine is ready to accept it and goes through the machine without printing a ticket so they have to run it again. There is always the chance they will print the same slip twice and omit another one.

It's a 10-spot Keno style game that pays for having zero hits and 5 or more hits. I've tried to cash tickets I thought had 5 hits that really had 6 and others that had only 4 and at least twice a week I'll try to cash a ticket I thought had no hits that actually had one. I cash all the winners at the same store regardless where I bought them so I don't have to worry about getting cheated.

Most clerks don't try to cheat us, but a dollar here and a dollar there does add up in an hour shift so checking your tickets and your change before leaving the counter is the best advice you can give.

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #46570
        September 14, 2006
        558 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2008, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

About 3 weeks ago, I went to play my Fantasy 5 numbers and as alot of us play wheels, lots of numbers will be the same on most tickets. When the tickets were all done printing, the guy say , 'so, you think number 14 is gonna come out ?' .. being nice and all, I said ' I can only hope so' , but it angered me to know that he was looking at my tickets as they were being printed out.  ..sigh... some people...

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2008, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

About 3 weeks ago, I went to play my Fantasy 5 numbers and as alot of us play wheels, lots of numbers will be the same on most tickets. When the tickets were all done printing, the guy say , 'so, you think number 14 is gonna come out ?' .. being nice and all, I said ' I can only hope so' , but it angered me to know that he was looking at my tickets as they were being printed out.  ..sigh... some people...

Why would it anger you? They stick the tickets in and see what comes out. It's doubtful that the clerk is going to play your numbers seeing as he probably has spent all day printing out tickets. One of the clerks at my store noticed that there were a lot of nines and fourteens on my ticket and made the comment you must like nine and fourteen. We both laughed. It wasn't a big deal. To each their own I suppose.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
            Member #50124
            February 26, 2007
            601 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2008, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

I haven't had anyone try to rip me off lately, just the opposite.

There's a clerk at one place who keeps trying to give discounts on my tickets.  Once she saw one line and charged $1 even tho it was a $2 ticket.  I showed her and paid cuz I didn't want her drawer to come up short.  The next time my order total was $4-something even tho I had bought a $10 raffle ticket.  Her boss was there so I just pointed at the ticket and she had to re-ring the whole order.  Her boss kept looking at us, I bet she knew. 

Good luck with those free tickets justx, hope they're winners for ya.   

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
              N.C.
              United States
              Member #56005
              October 28, 2007
              829 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2008, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Why would it anger you? They stick the tickets in and see what comes out. It's doubtful that the clerk is going to play your numbers seeing as he probably has spent all day printing out tickets. One of the clerks at my store noticed that there were a lot of nines and fourteens on my ticket and made the comment you must like nine and fourteen. We both laughed. It wasn't a big deal. To each their own I suppose.

I had that done to me once. It bothered me. it was November/December of last year. I always buy my tickets for my pools draw around the same time. the clerk had noticed that we had been on a hot streak for about 3 weeks. I'm hear to tell you that I was cashing in tickets after every draw. well, I went to cash in some one day and the young lady behind the register, told me thanks for the tip on the Powerball.

I was stunned...pardon me??, I asked. She replied, "I didn't think you would mind"

Did I care that she won....?...of course not.

but, Imagine this...

what if the numbers that she had copied would have been the winning numbers for the jackpot?

then my pool would have been ticked off at me because they had to split a 62+ million dollar jackpot with some Bimbo at the gas station who stole our numbers!

Those numbers aren't just mine...those are other peoples property.

needless to say...I haven't bought tickets at that store since.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
                mississippi
                United States
                Member #34478
                March 3, 2006
                5903 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

well..I have a story kinda like this but not much I can do about it..I live in Mississippi ..we have no lottery..but every once in a while some friends will go to Louisiana to purchase tickets for a bunch of people..so they were going 3 weeks ago and I played some numbers for pic 3 and pic 4 for the whole week..I played some pic 4's straight and box and double checked them amount before I put them in the envelope for the carrier to take..

when I get my tickets back that afternoon the carrier told me I messed up my tickets..not sure on how other states play but for Louisiana..if you want to play straight and box you check straight/box and then the amount..so I put enough money in the envelope to play that pic 4 straight and box all week..50 cents straight and 50 cents box..and I marked the 50 cents total little box..WHICH I NOW KNOW WAS A MISATKE..I was suppose to check the dollar little box for 50 cent straight and 50 cent box..but I was thinking in my head if I check the 1.00 little box it would read it as 1.00 strraight and 1.00 box..but that is not correct..so I messed it up..but..INSTEAD OF ME GETTING MY MONEY BACK FROM THE Mistake..all I ogt back was a pic 4 played straight for one nite instead of all week and no refund on my money..it was fault for messing up my ticket..but my extra money kinda dissappeared..hahaha..when I said something..&hit hit the fan then...hahaha

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

Lottoace, 

You know I think there is a way to print out what has been just played here in MD., what ya gotta do is go purchase and cash at different places that is what I do, that way they don't know if you are hitting regularly.  Where I buy they always ask if I hit,  I got tired of going there and them not having enough cash, so I go to a place that always has plenty o'cash to cash.  Then there is another MoM pop where he begs you to come in and cash, so I've gone there when it is convenient, and he remembers what I play P4 P3 stuff when I aint cashin'. 

Cool  P.S. Bimbos with photographic memories are probably terminators from the future and already know the outcome.

LottoAce's avatar - WWI Flying_Ace.gif
                    N.C.
                    United States
                    Member #56005
                    October 28, 2007
                    829 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2008, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

Lottoace, 

You know I think there is a way to print out what has been just played here in MD., what ya gotta do is go purchase and cash at different places that is what I do, that way they don't know if you are hitting regularly.  Where I buy they always ask if I hit,  I got tired of going there and them not having enough cash, so I go to a place that always has plenty o'cash to cash.  Then there is another MoM pop where he begs you to come in and cash, so I've gone there when it is convenient, and he remembers what I play P4 P3 stuff when I aint cashin'. 

Cool  P.S. Bimbos with photographic memories are probably terminators from the future and already know the outcome.

Jarason,

bbbuuaaahhh...

well the terminator bimbo stole my Bonus Ball!!!...you've watched me in the challenge...you know how hard one of those are for me to come by...heheh

on a serious note: I do rotate stores now....but I have only had the cashier have to write me a check once.

"know your limitations, but excede your expectations"

chefgaryl's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                      bristol pa
                      United States
                      Member #34145
                      February 28, 2006
                      367 Posts
                      Posted: January 21, 2008, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

wow great advice the majority of lottery retailers in pa have a big sign hanging near the machine please check your tickets before you leave.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 21, 2008, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I never accused the clerk of cheating.  I even said he was alone and probably didn't pay attention.  However, I think we tend to "take the money & run" so to speak.  I mean, how many times have you signed a credit card slip without looking at it carefully?  I used to say that if a cashier handed me a slip for $250 instead of $25, I might not notice until I got the bill.  Now we usually swipe our own cards.

In a restaurant we are relaxing and, when we get the check** we take the time to look at it and add a tip. But when we go into a convenience store or a supermarket, we're often in a rush and don't pay a lot of attention to the change being counted or what we're being charged.

I'm sure I already wrote about the day I was shorted $1,800 at a bank several years ago.  It's never happened again, but since then I am much more careful and try not to worry about insulting a store clerk or bank teller and spending an extra 10 seconds to make sure everything is correct. 

Regarding looking at your numbers, I agree with Scary. I just assumed it was to make sure he/she ran the right game and quantity of tickets.  Why would a clerk pick your numbers out of the hundreds run every night? I just never thought about it. 

**Why is the bill at a restaurant called the check?   Is that so you don't realize you are actually paying for the meal?  Smiley

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: January 21, 2008, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

"Those numbers aren't just mine...those are other peoples property."       What?

"What do you want?"

"Information."

"Whose side are you on?"

"That would be telling…. We want information. Information!" 

"You won't get it."

"By hook or by crook, we will."

"Who are you?"

"The new Number Two." 

"Who is Number One?"

"You are Number Six."

"I am not a number — I am a free man!

Las Vegas, NV
                            United States
                            Member #44841
                            August 9, 2006
                            1749 Posts
                            Posted: January 21, 2008, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

I know we all like to give the clerks the benefit of the doubt, but you'd be amazed at how many "clerks" in NY try to keep the free plays generated from having 2/5 in the Take-5 game.  They can't all be "honest" mistakes ... And yes, the "free-plays" win often because they are just QP's generated like the QP's we pay for!  So yes, definitely check your tickets everyone ...

Good Luck.

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: January 21, 2008, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I know we all like to give the clerks the benefit of the doubt, but you'd be amazed at how many "clerks" in NY try to keep the free plays generated from having 2/5 in the Take-5 game.  They can't all be "honest" mistakes ... And yes, the "free-plays" win often because they are just QP's generated like the QP's we pay for!  So yes, definitely check your tickets everyone ...

Good Luck.

Maybe you're right.  When I started this thread I did give him the benefit of the doubt. However, he didn't look me in the eye when he handed me my tickets and muttered when he went through the slips and found my free ticket. Funny that we're talking about it because a free ticket DID win last night.  (not mine) From the FL site:

The Florida Lottery announced today that two players matched all five winning numbers in the Sunday, Jan. 20, FANTASY 5® drawing and will share a $192,644.54 top prize.

The lucky winners will each receive $96,322.27.

The winning FANTASY 5 numbers were:

02 - 18 - 19 - 28 - 32

The winning tickets were sold at the following locations:

Key Shell Inc. - Quick Pick
                              17100 Perdido Key Drive
                              Pensacola (Escambia County)

Publix - Quick Pick (Free Play)
                              303 S.E. 17th Street
                              Ocala (Marion County)