Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 7:47 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Count your tickets, check numbers

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Yaddamean.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
benmas's avatar - waveform
Rhode Island
United States
Member #56010
October 28, 2007
434 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2008, 12:58 am - IP Logged

The night of the $95 mill powerball drawing there was many people waiting in line for lottery tickets at the gas station where i buy my tickets. Since I play my own picks i handed the lady four cash 5 slips and 2 powerball slips with my number picks. I did not check the tickets (since they were my own picks and not QPs i didnt bother to look at the numbers since i knew what numbers i had played) and left the store...Got home and pulled the tickets out my pockets and guess what...

She ran one of my PB slips twice (and forgot to run the other slip). Now i had two tickets with 5 picks that were the same...I began thinking i was going to split the jackpot with myself.. LOL..But thats not all..I found another powerball playslip together with the ticket that was not mine. It was a $20 pb ticket with 5 lines powerplay option and 2 advanced draws. Apparently someone left theirs on the counter while they were pumping gas or something...I did go back and gave her the powerball ticket and play slip and told her it was not mine and she thanked me...But since PB tickets cannot be canceled i had to chip in another $5 bucks to play the other slip that she did not run.

Now when i first realized she missed one of my slips and she made a 2nd mistake of giving me somebody's other ticket, the thought of keeping the $20 pb ticket went through my mind....

..I returned it thinking that what goes around comes around..what if the clerk makes a mistake and someone else ends up with my ticket and wins big...Mistakes like these happen especially at times when the store is busy and clerks trying to keep up with lottery, cigarettes, gas sales, and other stuff...

Omniscient's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #46570
    September 14, 2006
    558 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2008, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Why would it anger you? They stick the tickets in and see what comes out. It's doubtful that the clerk is going to play your numbers seeing as he probably has spent all day printing out tickets. One of the clerks at my store noticed that there were a lot of nines and fourteens on my ticket and made the comment you must like nine and fourteen. We both laughed. It wasn't a big deal. To each their own I suppose.

Maybe I should re-phrase that ... maybe not so much angered, but it annoyed me and I lost trust in that store. When you have a line behind you and the lotto agent says any of your numbers out loud for everyone to hear, it kinda ticked me off. I thought it was arrogant not to mention nosey of the clerk to do that. I'm a pretty easy going person and I try not to let anything get to me, but that guy got to me... as he kind of said it in a sarcastic tone. Needless to say, I don't go there anymore.

See full size image                                               

Don't Play more, Play Smarter!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
      Tx
      United States
      Member #4570
      May 4, 2004
      5180 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2008, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Retailers

Are of course the same as anybody else: 

Some are honest and some are not.

Sooner or later all will make mistakes, some people will make more mistakes and more often than others.

All are curious, some more than others.

Some are nicer than others and some are not nice at all.

If they notice that you win often, some will of course try to copy your numbers, they would be crazy not to.

So if you happen to win often, perhaps it might be best to buy and cash tickets at more than one place, buy at some stores and cash at others, but rotate them.

Get to know the clerks and only buy and cash tickets with those clerks that you trust.

Most clerks will never copy your numbers unless they notice that you are winning, they run too many tickets thru the lottery terminals everyday and can't afford to buy too many numbers everyday.

Do check your numbers and tickets before and after you buy them.

Do try to be polite with the clerks if possible, but make sure that you do get what you paid for and also check your change before you depart from the store.

If a clerk prints a ticket 2 times by mistake, the extra ticket will either be sold to somebody, bought by one of the clerks or kept by the store if it can't be sold.

With tickets won and with free promotional tickets you have to be EXTRA careful, some clerks like to keep those "Free" tickets or at least some of them. 

Good luck! 

United States
        Member #54390
        August 17, 2007
        313 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2008, 2:46 am - IP Logged

I'm an honest clerk.  each time a person wants to check a ticket or redeem a prize, I show them the validation ticket , every time.  Since I'm a regular lottery player, I'm never rude to other lottery players who come to my store.   whenever someone talks smack to someone playing the lottery, I always defend them!   

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2008, 3:34 am - IP Logged

I'm an honest clerk.  each time a person wants to check a ticket or redeem a prize, I show them the validation ticket , every time.  Since I'm a regular lottery player, I'm never rude to other lottery players who come to my store.   whenever someone talks smack to someone playing the lottery, I always defend them!   

Thanks SmoothJuice.  I believe most clerks are honest.  What Lantern wrote is also true.  I am very friendly with a lot of clerks.  My original post was only to bring up the idea that many of us might not look at a slip as a possible million dollars or more.  Even a small win like 4 out of 6 can be quite a nice chunk of change.  I am still using the money I won a week ago.   (put my gas on a gas card!)  But that $72 has bought a lot of groceries this past week.

I searched for that post where I mentioned the $1,800 and can't find it, so I'll tell the story again.  A few years ago I handed a teller 2 traveler cheques for $1,000 each and got $200.  I never noticed until later in the day after driving several miles north, because she put the money into an envelope for me. It was later resolved, but it was a disturbing experience that taught me to always count change.  (so maybe it was actually a good experience!)  Most tellers count the money right in front of you.  I never accused her of cheating me.  People get migraines and have bad days, so we need to be alert when it's our money and our lottery tickets.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5587 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2008, 8:55 am - IP Logged

Buyer beware, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.  You gotta watch, like they say above, check your tickies.

Caveat emptor.

Go to fullsize image Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
              Kunming
              China
              Member #57910
              January 23, 2008
              3626 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2008, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I know one common topic on Lottery Post is discussing checking your numbers online and in the paper first before going to a store.  This is not only because of a possible mistake, but also in case a clerk is dishonest.  However, I'd like to share what happened to me about 20 minutes ago. 

It's very cold & windy (for South Florida) so I put on my 25 year old ski parka (still looks great) and went to 7-11.  On Sat night I won $5.00 getting 3/6 in Lotto and 2 Free Tickets getting 2/5 in Fantasy5.  I wanted to use them tonight.

I waited in line and handed my winning tickets to the young man behind the counter.  I said "I won $5 and 2 Free Tickets" and he went to the lottery machine.  He took my cards and came back with my new tickets. I'm usually very polite, but I wanted to look at them & didn't move, even though 2 people were in back of me. (He was able to wait on them anyway.)  I counted 1,2,3,4 Lotto and 1 Fantasy5 and 1 Free Ticket.  He said "that's what you won."  I said "No, I won 2  free draws, I'm positive."  He looked through his pile of validation slips and mixed in was one Fantasy5 quick pick which said "Free" on it.  When I got home I checked the time on the ticket and it was printed in-between the others, so it's mine.

I am sure this was an honest mistake by someone who was working alone and just wasn't paying attention.  However, never walk out without making sure you have the correct change, the correct tickets and, as always, write down what you won before you go to a retailer. This might seem petty, but what if that free ticket wins $200,000 tonight?  (fingers crossed)

You are ABSOLUTELY right!!! Especially if you are using a system that the numbers vary only a little. Most clerks are tired and can easily mistype a number and if that happens your system could be worth nothing. It has happen to me a couple of time where the clerk mistype the number and I had to have them give me another ticket with the right one. I always keep the one that's mistype just in case it's a winner.

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2008, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

You are ABSOLUTELY right!!! Especially if you are using a system that the numbers vary only a little. Most clerks are tired and can easily mistype a number and if that happens your system could be worth nothing. It has happen to me a couple of time where the clerk mistype the number and I had to have them give me another ticket with the right one. I always keep the one that's mistype just in case it's a winner.

Absolutely!  Your profile says you live in China, so I am not sure of the rules if that's where you play.  Some stores here won't allow a clerk to enter a number and others do.  If cards are available, I always use them. 

You just reminded me of a time when I handed the clerk my cards and didn't notice he was manually entering some numbers.  I was chatting with another customer.  I got home and the number I've been playing for several years was wrong.  I went back to the same place and he said the card didn't go through so he typed the numbers for me.  Wish he had told me, although I know he was only trying to do me a favor. He just read it wrong. That's why now I get new cards if mine start to bend or I've had them for a while.  I'm not sure what happened however.  If after 12 or more years my 6 numbers were drawn and the jackpot was $20 million, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference to the lottery if I yelled and screamed that I bet the same numbers I always do twice a week. 

I'm also starting to use cards for QPs.  I've gotten tickets for the wrong game too.  If it's really busy or someone gets distracted, you might say "2 QPs for Lotto" and he/she might hear "MegaMoney"  I still buy them anyway, but I think using a card is best.

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2008, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

AGAIN!  This time at Albertson's.  She's a good customer service clerk and I respect the teens who work after school, but I bought my Lotto tickets tonight and then realized I got too much change.  I counted 3 Lotto tickets instead of 4 and my 1 Fantasy 5 ticket.  Anyone who reads my posts knows I always play the same 4 combinations twice a week and have done this for many years!  Yikes.

Okay - back to Law & Order.  Smiley

United States
                    Member #58287
                    February 8, 2008
                    24 Posts
                    Posted: February 8, 2008, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

If they were busy, it was probably an honest mistake. 

We own a gas station and when we are busy, those lottery tickets can be irritating, especially when cashing out. 

I once had a line of like 8 people and one person wanted to cash in about 12 or 13 scratch offs, mayn that is pretty irritating. On top of that, the guy accused me of shorting him saying he won more money. Of course, I will not take his word for it but rely on what my LCD screen is saying/ or adding up all the cashout slips. 

If there are any problems, request to look at the cashout slips. Some machines are connected to an LCD screen and it will also show recent cashouts and purchases. 

I've been on both ends, selling tickets and buying tickets and most of the time it is honest mistakes. 

benmas's avatar - waveform
                      Rhode Island
                      United States
                      Member #56010
                      October 28, 2007
                      434 Posts
                      Posted: February 8, 2008, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

there was once this lady in front of me and she wanted to check her tickets.. she had like 80 losers and she insisted she had won..her reason ..well she bought "80" tickets...

United States
                        Member #58287
                        February 8, 2008
                        24 Posts
                        Posted: February 8, 2008, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

OOOhhh I HATE THAT!!

I once had someone come in with over 30+ tickets...

he said, "i dont think I won but check em anyway"

WOW!!!

we were busy at the time... 

my reply, " im sorry sir I cant check all those tickets right now"

he comes back later that night, "can you check em now?"

I was going to refuse it but I did em anyway and not one was a winner. 

I dont get some of these people...

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3502 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2008, 1:57 am - IP Logged

"I dont get some of these people..."

Maybe this will help. It's a safe bet that 10% of your customers are dumber  or more inconsiderate than 90% of the people out there.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2008, 2:20 am - IP Logged

About 3 weeks ago, I went to play my Fantasy 5 numbers and as alot of us play wheels, lots of numbers will be the same on most tickets. When the tickets were all done printing, the guy say , 'so, you think number 14 is gonna come out ?' .. being nice and all, I said ' I can only hope so' , but it angered me to know that he was looking at my tickets as they were being printed out.  ..sigh... some people...

How else do you expect them to monitor print quality ?

About a week ago I got my tickets, and some of the numbers on one side of the ticket were VERY lightly printed as opposed to the other side of the ticket ?

Besides, if they wanna look, let 'em. Keep in mind they might look at YOUR numbers - and EVERYONE ELSE'S.  How would they possibly know what to discern from ALL those tickets ? 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: February 9, 2008, 2:23 am - IP Logged

OOOhhh I HATE THAT!!

I once had someone come in with over 30+ tickets...

he said, "i dont think I won but check em anyway"

WOW!!!

we were busy at the time... 

my reply, " im sorry sir I cant check all those tickets right now"

he comes back later that night, "can you check em now?"

I was going to refuse it but I did em anyway and not one was a winner. 

I dont get some of these people...

If you can't check them, don't sell them.

Every time I win something I say the same thing - 'I probably didn't win, but...'

Yeah, you don't get some of these people, so remember that the next time you want to pi$$ off someone - they may have nothing better to do than pull a .357 and start shooting.   You just never know, ever.