Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Random is dynamic and so a prediction system should also be.

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 9 years ago by time*treat.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23259 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2008, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

In a 6/54 lotto game for $10 you can have each number at least one time but to do that in Mega Millions, the minimum bet is $46. It's hard enough just picking 1 key number in a 5/39 game and if we can't do that consistently, why would think we could consistently pick 1 out of 46?

The real problem with both Mega Millions and Powerball is the anemic payoffs for matching 4 + 0. 3 + 1, 2 + 1, and 3 + 0. At least we get our buck back matching 2 numbers in RC5 and if you play lots of combos or wheel a group of numbers that helps to keep you in the game.

I've thought about trying the strategy used in Maddog's challenge and maybe play a 3if4 wheel for $12 or maybe a 3if3 when the jackpot is high for $29 but matching 3 numbers only pays $7 so only playing 12 numbers is still a 'hit and lose" situation. Tomorrow I'm going to use Todd's 56 number 46 combo wheel so I'll know the worst I can do is to match 2 white balls on one combo and I'll have all of the mega balls and then hope I get really really lucky.

And don't get me started on that goofy Kicker option because we can only get 5 combos on 1 ticket. It's either going to cost me an extra $10 or I'm going to feel really really stupid if I say "no" and one of them matches 5 or all 6 Kicker numbers.

I've done very well with that wheel myself. 

Once I almost nailed 5+0 with it (ticket image included):

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/111624

Still, I did get a nice 4+0.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
    Member #24439
    October 22, 2005
    638 Posts
    Posted: February 22, 2008, 6:54 am - IP Logged

I'm not a fan of wheeling and I don't try to pick one number for my bonus number. I usually play 20 lines with 20 different bonus numbers and more than half the time I match the bonus number.

I look at it this way, if I don't have a good system to predict the bonus number, I have no business predicting the white balls.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7295 Posts
      Posted: February 22, 2008, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

I've done very well with that wheel myself. 

Once I almost nailed 5+0 with it (ticket image included):

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/111624

Still, I did get a nice 4+0.

People can spend a lifetime trying to evaluate which 5 numbers have the best chance of being drawn in any given draw, but it's always a random drawing so any of the 56 numbers can be the first 5. With any wheel the idea is to trap the 5 numbers out of a group of numbers and "if" that happens, the order you placed the numbers into the wheel is the only reason that you didn't have all 5 number on one ticket. 

Using all 56 numbers, the "if" is taken out the equation so the order you used to enter the 56 numbers in the wheel was the reason you didn't match all 5 numbers. That wheel has a number distribution so we don't have to place all 56 numbers into an exact order to hit the correct 5 and the "if" strategy can be used with a few numbers.

Somebody asked if they had a better chance of winning by playing 100 tickets in one drawing or 50 tickets in 2 drawings and it promoted lots of discussion on the odds. It was pointed out that playing strategy wasn't part of the question but there is always a chance we won't have 1 or 2 mega numbers playing 100 QPs and maybe miss several of them playing 50 QPs.

That thread has some very useful information and the links in it had some too. I would be really neat if somebody here used it to hit the jackpot tonight!

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7295 Posts
        Posted: February 22, 2008, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm not a fan of wheeling and I don't try to pick one number for my bonus number. I usually play 20 lines with 20 different bonus numbers and more than half the time I match the bonus number.

I was lazy and played 20 auto-picks and one of the numbers drawn (38) wasn't on any of the lines. And I only had 15 of the mega numbers because of duplicates but I guess "got lucky" and only lost $17 (edited to add I lost $21 because I played all the Kickers).

Do you think a thread "Which is the best way to play 20 bucks?" would get more responses than a "How will you spend your winnings?" thread?

NASHVILLE, TENN
          United States
          Member #33372
          February 20, 2006
          1044 Posts
          Posted: February 22, 2008, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

What is the purpose of a wheel?

IMHO I think a wheel is a way to play 15 numbers and limit your losses.  Should you happen to get lucky and have all 5 numbers ( or six numbers) on one line, then you win the jackpot.  If not, then you win a lesser amount which may or may not cover your wager.

If anyone else has a different purpose for using a wheel, I would like to hear it.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: February 22, 2008, 9:38 pm - IP Logged

I was lazy and played 20 auto-picks and one of the numbers drawn (38) wasn't on any of the lines. And I only had 15 of the mega numbers because of duplicates but I guess "got lucky" and only lost $17 (edited to add I lost $21 because I played all the Kickers).

Do you think a thread "Which is the best way to play 20 bucks?" would get more responses than a "How will you spend your winnings?" thread?

It feels very different when the winning bonus number matches your duplicates.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.