Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Whats up with store clerks today?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Yaddamean.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2008, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

What's up with store clerks today? I went to 3 stores to buy megamillions tickets. Each one asked me if I am going to give them something if I win.  Did anyone experience this today also?  

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

What's up with store clerks today? I went to 3 stores to buy megamillions tickets. Each one asked me if I am going to give them something if I win.  Did anyone experience this today also?  

Nope not today. However, today I had a nice lady who was having trouble with the lottery machine. It's always acting up. She wished me good luck and didn't ask for anything in return. Although in the past, I have had store clerks make that comment and I just say "Have a nice day." and walk out.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

joplin
      United States
      Member #45299
      August 17, 2006
      151 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

What did you tell them? 

Pa
        United States
        Member #2485
        October 9, 2003
        319 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Dot heads are good for that statement

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Dot heads are good for that statement

Green laugh

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2008, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

Minimum wage,that is what's wrong with clerks today. I used to be one and though I never asked for money, I can see why they do.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2008, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I bought tickets at 2 different stores today, and neither clerk asked me.

However, they have in the past and I never know what to say.  Anyone have a snappy comeback? 

joplin
                United States
                Member #45299
                August 17, 2006
                151 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2008, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

I always tell them I'll buy them a value meal at Wendy's.  I know regardless,  I would do something.  Say you won 80 million, and it was a q/p.  The clerk had to press that button at that exact moment for that number, a split second later, that q/p would of been something else. 

The clerk is a conduit, between you and the lotto. 

I wouldn't  get too upset, because people are always coming and telling the clerk, they want the winning number.  I wouldn't take any of it to serious.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                  Member #4121
                  March 23, 2004
                  817 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2008, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

What did you tell them? 

They were holding the tickets when they asked.  I told them, "sure why not" but I didn't tell them the amount. lol

Party

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2008, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I bought tickets at 2 different stores today, and neither clerk asked me.

However, they have in the past and I never know what to say.  Anyone have a snappy comeback? 

Yeah...tell them what they would buy you if you lost. That'll shut them up quick.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                      MD
                      United States
                      Member #1701
                      June 18, 2003
                      8363 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

When the clerks ask me that question.... i say you know theres going to be a party when i win.... then i turn to leave. I never say who's gonna be invited. Usually they smile as if there invited. It seems kinda cruel to give that sentence.

Of course I'll invite them along with the store owner.   

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                        Downhere, S.C.
                        United States
                        Member #35033
                        March 11, 2006
                        1956 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2008, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Yeah...tell them what they would buy you if you lost. That'll shut them up quick.

I Agree!

US FlagPlease Pray For Our Troops And Their Families.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 21, 2008, 2:03 am - IP Logged

I've never been asked that directly.  However, once I walked into a local Smoke Shop and the owner actually told me he expected a percentage.  I told him the Lottery would give him $50,000 (or whatever) and he said something like "it's not enough." I wonder why he bothers selling them. 

The clerks at the supermarkets are probably instructed not to ever ask.  I've had clerks at c-stores stare at my numbers and, when I ask if something is wrong, the answer has been "just checking in case you win." 

There are some nice clerks/cashiers I would like to help, but I don't always get the same person or remember who sold me the ticket. Sometimes I don't even remember which store I went to. 

I agree with LottoLaughs, but I've worked for low wages and I never expected a tip from anyone unless it was part of the job.  I think it's a matter of class, not money.  After all, a cashier at Wal-Mart said to a Muslim woman wearing a veil "Please don't stick me up!" (actually, I think it's funny)

Maybe they're just joking around and trying to make conversation.  I've had neighbors ask me the same thing and total strangers who are waiting in line. 

benmas's avatar - waveform
                            Rhode Island
                            United States
                            Member #56010
                            October 28, 2007
                            434 Posts
                            Posted: February 21, 2008, 4:46 am - IP Logged

I would not make much of that...they most likely mean it in the context of a small tip for their service in case you win big...(however the lottery gives out bonus checks for stores that sell winning tickets)...since you are not legally required to tip anybody you have nothing to worry...it is the buzz of the 300millions that makes people say that..thats a lot of money...

also some clercks are overworked...they feel like they should be awarded some recognition from the players....they have to run a store beside running the lotto which can be quite busy when you have big jackpots...another thing i have noticed is that people come into the store and hold up the clerk by asking to check like 40-50 tickets at once and one time this lady had about 80 tickets all of them were losers...also the clerks take some nasty abuse and blame when they punch a mistake for verbal bets (for P3 and P4)...i mean humans make errors...why don't you fill out the bet slip provided...you want things easy then you talk sh1t??...we want the big money all for ourselfes to buy big houses and cars but don't even recognize (at least verbally say thank you) some simple kind acts by people out there..

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:36 am - IP Logged

I always tell them I'll buy them a value meal at Wendy's.  I know regardless,  I would do something.  Say you won 80 million, and it was a q/p.  The clerk had to press that button at that exact moment for that number, a split second later, that q/p would of been something else. 

The clerk is a conduit, between you and the lotto. 

I wouldn't  get too upset, because people are always coming and telling the clerk, they want the winning number.  I wouldn't take any of it to serious.

The clerk had to press that button at that exact moment for that number, a split second later, that q/p would of been something else. 

I don't know about all states, but the 5 states which I'm aware of, when a clerk presses a QP button, the number is not generated at that precise moment. You can actually hit a button and see a list of pre-existing QPs just waiting to be printed. The ones I encounterd had a list of about 30 or so numbers in the machine.

So maybe it's more about where you're standing on line to buy the tickets, and hope the person in front of you doesen't purchase those winning QPs....lol