Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Whats up with store clerks today?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Yaddamean.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
Florence, Alabama
United States
Member #8658
November 13, 2004
1993 Posts
Posted: February 21, 2008, 10:31 am - IP Logged

I've had this question asked to me a couple of times. Once it was asked at a store that I go to regularly so we joke around a lot. I told the clerk I was going to give them obedience classes becaused they begged more than my dog. Another time I was at a store and the clerk had just talked about someone in line ahead of me talking about they were wasting their money on lottery because they had played a lot on money on tickets. When I got to the machine and played my numbers I was asked if I was going to give them a tip if I won. It pissed me off that they would talk about someone else like that then turn to me and ask for a tip so I told them I would give them a dollar. They looked confused and asked why a dollar. I told them because I didn't want them to waste all my money so I would give them a dollar to play and win their own money.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
    San Jose, California
    United States
    Member #42003
    June 26, 2006
    206 Posts
    Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

In Vietnam, the government sells pre-printed lottery tickets. In case, you are winner, your seller would take the results for you to match; they are really skilled at memorizing all the numbers that they have sold. In return, you would tip them from $100 to $1000.

The winning amounts usually range from $25 to $50 millions Vietnamese dollars ($100 = 1.5 Mill Dong). Ofen, people win in pack of 5 or ten tickets because they love the same number. Just do the math, if they win 10 x 50 mil = 500mill. But it's not much compare to dollars.

Sellers never ask for tip when they sell tickets though.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: February 21, 2008, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

Ask the clerk if they buy ticket's and if they say yes ask them if they are going to give you money if they hit and if they say no tell them to buy one it only cost a 1.00......

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: February 21, 2008, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

When I am behind customers who are buying tickets and talking about how they plan on winning.. I always wish them the best and tell them  "I truly, hope they hit."  I mean it from the bottom of my heart.  Even if I never see the person again in my life, it is a nice thought to think I could have stood next to the next winner.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: February 21, 2008, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I always tell them I'll buy them a value meal at Wendy's.  I know regardless,  I would do something.  Say you won 80 million, and it was a q/p.  The clerk had to press that button at that exact moment for that number, a split second later, that q/p would of been something else. 

The clerk is a conduit, between you and the lotto. 

I wouldn't  get too upset, because people are always coming and telling the clerk, they want the winning number.  I wouldn't take any of it to serious.

I wouldn't  get too upset, because people are always coming and telling the clerk, they want the winning number.  I wouldn't take any of it to serious.

People tell me that all the time.

I ask, "may I help you."

They reply,  "only if you sell me the winning numbers."

I say, "sure hope these are it."   (I really mean it when I say it.  It would be nice to think I sold the winning numbers.  At least I can say I held the ticket first.. lol)

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
            Member #38687
            May 3, 2006
            315 Posts
            Posted: February 21, 2008, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

you know what .......I once went into a store in Georgia to have an old ticket checked during the last "high run" on the MM and the clerk refused to run the ticket thru the lottery machine until I promised to split the ticket with her if it was a large amount......I just laughed and said sure why not. The ticket didn't win anything and I wasn't worried about having to split the ticket with her cause I had already signed the ticket on the back but i can tell you that I have never went into that store again anytime that I go back to visit Ga. I don't like it when people request a portion of your "possible" jackpot. If the person even looks like they are going to ask for any kind of tip I won't go into that store.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

crystaltips's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
              London
              United Kingdom
              Member #58578
              February 20, 2008
              51 Posts
              Posted: February 22, 2008, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

You should have reported her for harrassment!

No way should she be behaving in this manner, it's not only wholly inappropriate but it's intimidation.

Silly cow.

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: February 22, 2008, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

I have customers tell me they will give X amount of dollars to me if they win, or buy me a car, or send me to fancy vacation spot.. I respond with a "Single Rose" would do... or  "breakfast biscuit"... we usually laugh it off and go on...

If someone from our store wins,  we all win.. You know what I mean?

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2008, 2:15 am - IP Logged

When I moved here to Florida about 10 years ago, I was palying all the pre-fixes to phone numbers one day for the immediate area, for the p-3. I went to publix, which is a supermarket chain, and handed the lady my betslip.

There were about 5 pre-fixes that I played, but being new to the area, i missed one. As she was looking at the numbers being printed out, she noticed that all the numbers were the pre-fixes and reminded me that I missed one which was 992. I thanked her and complimented her for being so sharp as to notice the theme of the numbers.

Sure enough, that night, 992 came out. That was my very first straight win in Florida. I came back to cash it, and I pleaded to her that she accept my 50 dollar gift as a reward, because I would have never won if it wasn't for her.

All publix employees are not allowed to accept tips of any kind. The baggers are often offered tips by the elderly for helping them take the groceries out to their car, but will never ever take the money. The locals already know the drill, and won't even bother anymore.

Anyway...I insisted that she take the 50 dollar bill, but she reiterated to me that it wasn't allowed. After much persuasion, I secretively handed her the 50, making sure the cameras couldn't possibly catch it. She smiled, and thanked me.

Now that was a good day for her and I.

crystaltips's avatar - Lottery-025.jpg
                    London
                    United Kingdom
                    Member #58578
                    February 20, 2008
                    51 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2008, 6:30 am - IP Logged

Sun Smiley

Now, that was a great story1 :) I bet she really needed the 50 bucks but was bound by the rules of the store. Good on you for thinking of her when you won.

"Depend on the rabbit's foot if you will, but remember it didn't work for the rabbit." - R. E. Shay.

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2008, 9:41 am - IP Logged

When I moved here to Florida about 10 years ago, I was palying all the pre-fixes to phone numbers one day for the immediate area, for the p-3. I went to publix, which is a supermarket chain, and handed the lady my betslip.

There were about 5 pre-fixes that I played, but being new to the area, i missed one. As she was looking at the numbers being printed out, she noticed that all the numbers were the pre-fixes and reminded me that I missed one which was 992. I thanked her and complimented her for being so sharp as to notice the theme of the numbers.

Sure enough, that night, 992 came out. That was my very first straight win in Florida. I came back to cash it, and I pleaded to her that she accept my 50 dollar gift as a reward, because I would have never won if it wasn't for her.

All publix employees are not allowed to accept tips of any kind. The baggers are often offered tips by the elderly for helping them take the groceries out to their car, but will never ever take the money. The locals already know the drill, and won't even bother anymore.

Anyway...I insisted that she take the 50 dollar bill, but she reiterated to me that it wasn't allowed. After much persuasion, I secretively handed her the 50, making sure the cameras couldn't possibly catch it. She smiled, and thanked me.

good for you...

Lot's of others would think they owed her nothing and kept all the money.  Although you really didn't owe her anything , you were thoughtful enough to award her for the valuable tip she gave you. 

United States
                        Member #20470
                        August 18, 2005
                        221 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2008, 10:19 am - IP Logged

hi, would you please tell me what statesthese are. thankyou.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2008, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

That was very nice of you Pacattack. Yes Nod

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                            Member #24380
                            October 21, 2005
                            623 Posts
                            Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:18 am - IP Logged

I would definitely ask them how much are they giving me if I do NOT win!  Then if I win, how much did you, crass clerk, contribute to the drawslip????  The nerve, that is so very rude.  I went to a salon once and the stylist did a horrible job.  The cashier asked if I wanted the tip on my credit card.  For lack of words I asked rather sharply, "It is mandatory!"  Then I looked over at the stylist and gave him a look like, you should jump up and tell the cashier, I need to have my bill dismissed.  His work was so shabby, he did not deserve a tip!  If I am going to give a tip or share, I will give it.  Asking for it takes the joy of giving away from me and I will not be "GIVING per se".  So, the clerk's best option is not to ask, just in case I am in a giving mood.  The story of the player who went to the Publix in Florida and gave the cashier the $50 tip would be one of those times that I would DEFINITELY give without asking.  But give a dat blame clerk a tip for doing the job they applied for and was hired for and they have the nerve to ask for a tip?!!!!!!!!!!  NO! MadNO! Angry NO!Angry

Fayetteville, Arkansas
                              United States
                              Member #58962
                              March 2, 2008
                              29 Posts
                              Posted: March 9, 2008, 3:48 am - IP Logged

you know what .......I once went into a store in Georgia to have an old ticket checked during the last "high run" on the MM and the clerk refused to run the ticket thru the lottery machine until I promised to split the ticket with her if it was a large amount......I just laughed and said sure why not. The ticket didn't win anything and I wasn't worried about having to split the ticket with her cause I had already signed the ticket on the back but i can tell you that I have never went into that store again anytime that I go back to visit Ga. I don't like it when people request a portion of your "possible" jackpot. If the person even looks like they are going to ask for any kind of tip I won't go into that store.

As long as clerks like that are not stopped, they will continue to harrass lottery customers.

I doubt that anyone could be held to their promise to split the ticket under these circumstances. If she's obligated to check your ticket anyway, then she hasn't given anything in return for your promise. What she did sounds like extortion to me.

How do you remedy this kind of behavior? Simple.

Don't nod your head or give any sign of assent, but smile real big and ask her name. Once you have it, say, "Thanks. You've just broken the law, and I'd start looking for a new job if I were you." Then report the incident to the lottery, in writing. I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see her for much longer.

The balls have no memory.