Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 5:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Not all Retailers Pay Out to $599

Topic closed. 93 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Tenaj.

Page 2 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
Member #2217
September 1, 2003
985 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Hey JXP - Congrats!    I can speak for MD and DE locally only.  When the DE Lottery decided to take financial incentives away from retailers for selling tickets, the customer saw an immediate response.   Most of the retailers here don't give a crap about the lottery customer. They have to hire and train and dedicate personnel to the lottery for little in return (this is them talking, not me).   I was 1 of the first people in DE trained to run the original lottery terminals at start-up.  That and the fact that I'm a long-time player makes it a little more difficult for the average retailer to give me the line about what they do/don't/can't cash.  Our payout schedule is different - regular retailers can cash up to $500 - 501-5000 can be done at local service centers (Tax office/major retailers as listed on the website).  Above 5000 requires a trip to Dover, geared solely towards the Lotto and excluding play-3, play-4.   Retailers here who refuse to cash tickets were quick to learn the only story they could get away with was "We don't have enough money right now."   What typically happens is that when you play regularly at 1 or 2 places, they get to know you and will make every effort to pay.  No, this is not fair and not what the rules say but, as far as I know, no DE retailer has ever been penalized for refusing to pay a ticket, despite lots of complaints.   MD is different yet still and I can find no complaint with them.  In fact, the 3 places closest to me actually welcome big payouts.  Because this is mileage for me to play, I asked 1 of the store owners exactly what he would pay, he told me unless I won a lotto jackpot to bring him the ticket and he'd get me the money.  Unbelievable difference.  I can sympathize with your frustration - I've gone toe to toe with more than 1 store clerk who gave me a short "no" when asked about cashing a ticket over 250. 

A final note - yes, DE retailers do get a small percentage of jackpot wins - my references here are to years ago when there were incentives for overall sales and winners, no matter what the games.  Until Lemons is out, we will never see real progress. Case in point - bringing in the new "Hot" lotto game. This is not what players here want.  We want a strong Pick 5 game like MD's Bonus Match 5.   Oh well.   Way more info here than you probably needed about DE, but I'm tangent-oriented some days!  Again, happy for your win!   J

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

First of all....Congratulations!  Hurray!

I mentioned once that I only won $72.50 getting 4/5 in Fantasy5 at 7-11 and the clerk didn't want to cash it, although I bought my ticket there.  I now just go to a Publix supermarket to get paid. 

Guru wrote: "The register keeps track of items sold and then that total is compared to the cash in the drawer. It doesn't matter if the drawers collectively have a certain amount. It's not that simple. It is the cashier's responsibility to make sure their drawer doesn't come up short. I hope she didn't get into trouble or lose her job." 

Very true.  I've worked in one of those store and they can't do that, Pac.  Even when one cashier is out of ones, for example, they have to "buy" them from another cash drawer, which is usually handled by a manager.  Everytime money is taken or added to a cash drawer, the cashier has to sign for it. That's why at the end of their shift, or even when they go on break, they remove their cash drawer.  Also, Publix has an entirely different cash drawer they use for the lottery.  If you go to the stores in Bonita Springs, for example, they have 2 registers at the customer service counter, one they use for the lottery.  Anyway, why didn't you just come back later in the day?  From your description of how she "wrote a note" (like an IOU) it sounds as if she had to go through a lot of work.  As Guru wrote, this woman would have been fired, if not for violating the rules, but for interrupting the course of business while people are trying to buy food.

That lady has been there for a long time, and obviously she wouldn't do it if she knew her job was at risk. I didn't put a gun to her head, and I wasn't nasty to her in any way at all. She's the one who made the decision of doing it. It was merely a suggestion.

I didn't want to make 2 trips because it's very inconvenient to me. Not only that, that store is the only store I did my shopping at the time, and when I did go shopping, it was once a week dropping atleast 70 to 80 bucks not counting lottery tickets. Do the math. I' lived there for about 7 years.

I think that's the least they could've done in return for my patronage. And I think that was the reason they did do it.

When I shop somewhere or buy tickets, I don't say to the cashier..Uhmmm..Can I come back in a few hours and pay you for the groceries?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Jake, I didn't win anything.  ExMechanic is the OP who won the pick-3.   I was just responding to the other comments.

benmas's avatar - waveform
        Rhode Island
        United States
        Member #56010
        October 28, 2007
        434 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

ask for Money Orders people...they'll give you some cash and the bulk in MO

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:38 pm - IP Logged

It is like that here in the larger cities.

Find one that pays and buy your tickets there.  I have two places here in small town Georgia and one paid me 25 grand in two increments. Mr store owner drove me to the bank and wrote me checks so I would be safe with the money. He was happy to, he collected too. Some people have such a good relationship with retailers they can call in numbers on the phone. It pays to be a regular.

All I can say is "Wow ! "  Twenty five grand?  No way you can do that here.  Anything over $599 and you have to go to the state lottery office.  They want those taxes before they give you a dime over that.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Pac, this is not my thread.  I won't get into a debate.  Whatever you say.  Your comment about spending $70 or $80 at a supermarket like Publix for 7 years and "do the math" is silly.  I've been going to one for 12 years.  That's peanuts compared to what a family spends, and the snowbirds often spend that much on wine. 

If she did a favor for you, that's great.  Maybe it's your charming personality or your hypnotic smile. I'm very friendly with the people at my local store too.  Publix cashes paychecks all the time and they keep thousands on hand, but I don't know exactly what happened in your situation. Anyway, it was just an opinion.  (BTW, I don't work at Publix.)  I worked at the furniture store next door to the one you're talking about for a long time. As I wrote, $70 bucks a week is a drop in the bucket for Publix.  I've been in back of people who spend $200 or more a week on groceries.  The employees there (most of them) just happen to be friendly and bend over backwards to help, especially the regulars. 

(Speaking of Publix.  Don't forget to buy girlscout cookies this weekend!  Even if you don't eat cookies, they send the boxes to the troops in Iraq.)

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
              Charlotte NC
              United States
              Member #17406
              June 18, 2005
              4054 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Okay I didn't know how to title this topic, but it deals with my frustration today. 

Yesterday I won my first straight box for pick 3(yeah!) and I live in California so we have pari-mutuel pay-outs and my pay out was $436. In California like other states I've played lotto, on the back of the play slip it says you can cash up to $599 at participating cashing retailer. Now I just assumed that meant a terminal with an attendant who cashes prizes like when I win 3/5 on Fantasy Five. Well I go to 5 different places before I find someone who will cash my ticket, a ralph's supermarket. 

Now, is this pretty common? I mean if your a lottery retailer and you cash lower tier prizes, shouldn't you own up and pay out on prizes up to what is said on the back of the play slip? I don't know I just got frustrated driving around trying to get paid, is there something I missing here and being ticked off for no reason??

I live in the largest city in NC and it happened to me on my first hit.  I held that ticket for 3 days and went to 4 places before I was able to cash it in.  Now I have a place to cash out that always have enough money.  (A large grocery chain) The Mr. Lee's and convenience stores do not have enough cash on hand to cash out tickets.

I don't think it's required that they cash out tickets and they can choose not to do so.  The only thing I would be concerned about would be for the cashier to give the ticket back but leave it as "cashed out" after scanning and the next place say to you that it's been cashed.  I'm glad that didn't happen.

takeemtothebank

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

It is like that here in the larger cities.

Find one that pays and buy your tickets there.  I have two places here in small town Georgia and one paid me 25 grand in two increments. Mr store owner drove me to the bank and wrote me checks so I would be safe with the money. He was happy to, he collected too. Some people have such a good relationship with retailers they can call in numbers on the phone. It pays to be a regular.

Whether or not someone is "a regular" they still can't break the law. 

From the GA Lottery website

Q.How do I claim a prize?

A.There are many ways for players to claim Georgia Lottery prizes. A player must present a valid winning ticket, along with proof of current address and a social security card. Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at one of the more than 7,500 Georgia Lottery retailer locations. All prizes, including jackpot prizes, can be claimed at any Georgia Lottery district office or the Georgia Lottery's headquarters in Atlanta.

Q.Do I need a claim form to claim my prize?

A.For prizes above $600, winners must fill out a claim form. Claim forms are available at retailer locations, GLC district offices or by requesting one from a Player Information Representative. Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at a retailer location or by simply signing the back of the ticket, filling out your complete address and mailing it to the address on the back of the ticket: Georgia Lottery Corporation, P.O. Box 56966, Atlanta, GA 30343.

Q.What are acceptable forms of ID to claim a prize?

A.In order to claim a prize above $600, two forms of valid identification must be presented. Preferred forms of acceptable identification are a valid driver's license with current address and a Social Security card. Please contact a Georgia Lottery Player Information Representative for other acceptable forms of identification that confirms the current address and social security number of the claimant.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                  Florence, Alabama
                  United States
                  Member #8658
                  November 13, 2004
                  1993 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

I hate this and have had this problem before. I fixed that problem by not even going to those stores and playing. I'm guessing that they are using the lottery to get more customers for there retail business. You go to the store just to buy some lottery tickets and if you stand in line long enough you will buy something else while in there. When you win and go back all they can cash is a up to $50.00 if that. I'm assuming that they are expecting more people to lose than win so they aren't worried about making payouts. Personally I think the lottery should take their machines and games out of those stores and businesses but I know that won't happen because all the lottery cares about is making money. I now go to stores who are lottery cashing agents here who can and will cash up to $5,000, after being told by one of those stores who wouldn't payout on a winning ticket to go there and cash it. It was kind of funny when I first went to the cashing agent to cash the ticket in. Online ticket games in KY have a code on them that tells what retailer sold the ticket. I guess they had cashed a lot of tickets from that store because when the clerk seen it he said, "I don't know why &@$%&$  even sells lottery ticket when they won't cash the winners in."

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                    Florence, Alabama
                    United States
                    Member #8658
                    November 13, 2004
                    1993 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2008, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

I live in the largest city in NC and it happened to me on my first hit.  I held that ticket for 3 days and went to 4 places before I was able to cash it in.  Now I have a place to cash out that always have enough money.  (A large grocery chain) The Mr. Lee's and convenience stores do not have enough cash on hand to cash out tickets.

I don't think it's required that they cash out tickets and they can choose not to do so.  The only thing I would be concerned about would be for the cashier to give the ticket back but leave it as "cashed out" after scanning and the next place say to you that it's been cashed.  I'm glad that didn't happen.

I was worried that might happen before.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2008, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Pac, this is not my thread.  I won't get into a debate.  Whatever you say.  Your comment about spending $70 or $80 at a supermarket like Publix for 7 years and "do the math" is silly.  I've been going to one for 12 years.  That's peanuts compared to what a family spends, and the snowbirds often spend that much on wine. 

If she did a favor for you, that's great.  Maybe it's your charming personality or your hypnotic smile. I'm very friendly with the people at my local store too.  Publix cashes paychecks all the time and they keep thousands on hand, but I don't know exactly what happened in your situation. Anyway, it was just an opinion.  (BTW, I don't work at Publix.)  I worked at the furniture store next door to the one you're talking about for a long time. As I wrote, $70 bucks a week is a drop in the bucket for Publix.  I've been in back of people who spend $200 or more a week on groceries.  The employees there (most of them) just happen to be friendly and bend over backwards to help, especially the regulars. 

(Speaking of Publix.  Don't forget to buy girlscout cookies this weekend!  Even if you don't eat cookies, they send the boxes to the troops in Iraq.)

Snow birds stay here for only a few months, so that cancels any extra spending done on their part. It's not just about the money spent. It's being loyal to your customers, whether they were in that store for the first time, or been there for 50 years.

They shouldn't sell the tickets if they can't pay up. Period !

There's a major lack of customer service here. Not talking publix, but for the most part, the circle ks and 7-11s. The clerks are always yapping with their co-workers or on the phone, not paying attention to the customer at the counter.

The ones that really tick me off are the hispanics who assume I'm spanish and speak to me in spanish. I have nothing against hispanics, or that I resemble one, it's just frustrating because when I answer back in english, they always give me a dirty look, as if I'm embarrased to be hispanic in public or something.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2008, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

"There's a major lack of customer service here. Not talking publix, but for the most part, the circle ks and 7-11s. The clerks are always yapping with their co-workers or on the phone, not paying attention to the customer at the counter."

I Agree!  100%   It's annoying. 

Pac, as I first wrote - no debate going on.  A board is to state opinions and/or answer questions other members pose.  When you wrote that post about the clerk going from register to register leaving notes for the cash, I just couldn't imagine any responsible clerk, cashier or manager cleaning out the cash drawers at checkout aisles to pay one lousy lottery ticket.  You must have gone in at an odd hour.  After all, if she cleaned out the cash drawers, then they wouldn't have the change for customers buying groceries.  Since there's a huge Albertson's about a mile south and several very large Publix stores, all within a few miles (Center of Bonita, Pelican Landing, Corkscrew, Grande Oake, Riverchase) not to mention the Sweetbay markets,  and the gazillion gas stations, I would have either waited until the next day or gone to another store.  We're different...that's all. 

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: February 23, 2008, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

"There's a major lack of customer service here. Not talking publix, but for the most part, the circle ks and 7-11s. The clerks are always yapping with their co-workers or on the phone, not paying attention to the customer at the counter."

I Agree!  100%   It's annoying. 

Pac, as I first wrote - no debate going on.  A board is to state opinions and/or answer questions other members pose.  When you wrote that post about the clerk going from register to register leaving notes for the cash, I just couldn't imagine any responsible clerk, cashier or manager cleaning out the cash drawers at checkout aisles to pay one lousy lottery ticket.  You must have gone in at an odd hour.  After all, if she cleaned out the cash drawers, then they wouldn't have the change for customers buying groceries.  Since there's a huge Albertson's about a mile south and several very large Publix stores, all within a few miles (Center of Bonita, Pelican Landing, Corkscrew, Grande Oake, Riverchase) not to mention the Sweetbay markets,  and the gazillion gas stations, I would have either waited until the next day or gone to another store.  We're different...that's all. 

Justx, it didn't take an hour...lol

She was done in about 7 minutes.

One reason I don't want to go to other stores is actually a strange reason. I've bought so many tickets at that location, that when I do win, I want everyone working there to know that I'm not doing it in futility, and making money, not just wasting it away, looking foolish. or like a gambler who never wins...lol.

I know it sounds silly, but that is the truth.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                            Harbinger
                            D.C./MD.
                            United States
                            Member #44103
                            July 30, 2006
                            5587 Posts
                            Posted: February 23, 2008, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

The funny thing is they make more by cashing than they do by selling tix.  I go up the street to cash up to $5K and he writes me a check, anything over $600 on one tickie,  if I have 4 $200 box P4s I walk out with $800 cash.  All P4s and P3's are sold on seperate tix!

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7341 Posts
                              Posted: February 23, 2008, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Whether or not someone is "a regular" they still can't break the law. 

From the GA Lottery website

Q.How do I claim a prize?

A.There are many ways for players to claim Georgia Lottery prizes. A player must present a valid winning ticket, along with proof of current address and a social security card. Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at one of the more than 7,500 Georgia Lottery retailer locations. All prizes, including jackpot prizes, can be claimed at any Georgia Lottery district office or the Georgia Lottery's headquarters in Atlanta.

Q.Do I need a claim form to claim my prize?

A.For prizes above $600, winners must fill out a claim form. Claim forms are available at retailer locations, GLC district offices or by requesting one from a Player Information Representative. Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at a retailer location or by simply signing the back of the ticket, filling out your complete address and mailing it to the address on the back of the ticket: Georgia Lottery Corporation, P.O. Box 56966, Atlanta, GA 30343.

Q.What are acceptable forms of ID to claim a prize?

A.In order to claim a prize above $600, two forms of valid identification must be presented. Preferred forms of acceptable identification are a valid driver's license with current address and a Social Security card. Please contact a Georgia Lottery Player Information Representative for other acceptable forms of identification that confirms the current address and social security number of the claimant.

Spooky was probably talking about a number of tickets under $600 that totaled 25 grand like 50 straight winners on the pick-3. If each ticket was over $600 like five pick-4 straight tickets, I doubt the store owner would pay the full amount and pay the taxes too.

"Prizes of $600 or less can be claimed at one of the more than 7,500 Georgia Lottery retailer locations."

About a month ago somebody said cashing tickets was the store's prerogative so I checked 5 or 6 state lottery websites and basically they all said that. Some state websites say "any lottery retailer". I've never had a clerk tell me when I buy a ticket or read a sign in a store that says if it wins I can't cash it in that store. I can understand if one or two small stores in an area might not have $580 in cash to pay a straight and box winner, but if they can't cash prizes under $200, it's should be a problem between the store and the lottery and not between the player and the store.

We know from experience to go large grocery stores but since the cashing of tickets seems to be a state and National problem, the simple solution is for each state lottery to designate one or two stores out 5 to 10 in an area that will cash tickets under $600. The other stores could place signs next to the terminal stating the amount they will cash and where to go if it's over that amount.

If the store where you bought it can't cash a ticket worth $72, that store shouldn't be allowed to sell lottery tickets.