Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Not all Retailers Pay Out to $599

Topic closed. 93 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Tenaj.

Page 5 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Britney's avatar - melissa sool.png
California
United States
Member #4471
April 27, 2004
1574 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I have never tried getting a money order from 7-11.  I will have to try that next time.  I do know that here in California you have to pay CASH for money orders, so I wonder how that would work.

But thank you for the suggestion.  I think that might work.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5587 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Next time, remind the retailer they make much more commission when they cash in than when they sell you the ticket.  It definitely is a cash flow problem when they can't cash you. 

I know they want to cash it but they just can't.

I know of another place that got out of the over $600 cash in business because the traffic and headaches weren't worth it to them, but they will cash $600 under all day long.  They didn't like the tax reporting part of the transaction for $600 and over.

benmas's avatar - waveform
      Rhode Island
      United States
      Member #56010
      October 28, 2007
      434 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

I have never tried getting a money order from 7-11.  I will have to try that next time.  I do know that here in California you have to pay CASH for money orders, so I wonder how that would work.

But thank you for the suggestion.  I think that might work.

it will work...i never paid for the money order when i got them becasue it is considered a form of payment from them to you, meaning it is them that are obligated for the money order cost (few cents anyway)..as far as the people mentioning paper trails...that money order payment can be for anything...when they issue the MO it only says vendor payment at the top and the name of vendor..it doesn't say payment for lottery...

Mid-Atlantic
        United States
        Member #22203
        September 20, 2005
        35 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

That is a good idea. Why not make an ATM that cashes lottery tickets only? If the winner is less than $599 then it cashes them, if it is more than $599, then it returns the ticket to you and tells you to take it to lottery redemption center. The machines could be set up in stores that have high traffic lottery purchases. That way you get your money for sure without having to worry if the store has enough to pay you. That would be nice.

I see no reason that could not be done. Ponder

You can't monitor who is cashing Lottery tickets from an ATM.  State Legislatures get hinky with the thought of underage persons cashing gambling chits.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7344 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

That was unusual, most stores don't authorize a store clerk to take $5000 out of their bank accounts on a whim even if the clerk is a family member.

It probably was an owner because his name had to be on the bank account to withdraw the money. That was over 20 years ago and that store is no longer there. It wasn't the first time I tried to cash multiple tickets; just the only store I knew that would cash more than two.

The hypocrisy in this discussion is some stores will cash two $500 tickets while others selling the same lottery tickets can't cash $100.

California
            United States
            Member #4471
            April 27, 2004
            1574 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

Next time, remind the retailer they make much more commission when they cash in than when they sell you the ticket.  It definitely is a cash flow problem when they can't cash you. 

I know they want to cash it but they just can't.

I know of another place that got out of the over $600 cash in business because the traffic and headaches weren't worth it to them, but they will cash $600 under all day long.  They didn't like the tax reporting part of the transaction for $600 and over.

Things are different here in California.  The retailer that sells a winning ticket gets a percentage of the win.  It does not matter where it is cashed.  That is, of course, for the jackpot games.  I am not sure how it works for Pick 3.  But, from what I have seen nobody is thrilled about paying out the money, so I doubt they get a cut unless they sold the ticket. 

benmas's avatar - waveform
              Rhode Island
              United States
              Member #56010
              October 28, 2007
              434 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

as far as i know retailers earn their commision based on tickets sold not the # or amounts of tickets cashed at their location...

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5587 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

OK. In MD. where the ticket is cashed is where the commission is paid to up to 5K. I KNOW this because I am PERSONALLY involved in two businesses that sell lottery. That is the way it works here. It is not "as far as I know", it is a fact here in MD. Only jackpots "sold at" get credit for the sale.

There would be no incentive for anybody to cash anything if they didn't get commission.  Stores that sell lottery are in business for themselves not as a favor or obligation to the state.

California
                  United States
                  Member #4471
                  April 27, 2004
                  1574 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2008, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

OK. In MD. where the ticket is cashed is where the commission is paid to up to 5K. I KNOW this because I am PERSONALLY involved in two businesses that sell lottery. That is the way it works here. It is not "as far as I know", it is a fact here in MD. Only jackpots "sold at" get credit for the sale.

There would be no incentive for anybody to cash anything if they didn't get commission.  Stores that sell lottery are in business for themselves not as a favor or obligation to the state.

It is probably the same here in California.  Like I said I don't know about Pick 3.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7344 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2008, 9:53 pm - IP Logged

Benmas is correct.  In fact there is always a disclaimer (I'm trying to find it) that says "funds might not be available" in order to conduct business during the day.  At least there is one in Florida.

That's why I don't understand all of the posts that say the retailers should have the cash available. Sure, they should offer some form of payment.  That's all.  A money order is the same as cash.  Nobody should expect a store to keep a lot of extra cash around just in case someone wins.  Then there would be a security problem.  I mean, the posters who are complaining assume they are the only people who ever win.  What if 3 or 4 people walked into the store that day? A small store isn't going to keep an extra $2,000 in the cash drawer... just in case!  Maybe I'm being close-minded because I live in an area with so many large stores like Albertson's & Publix.

I wonder if people who only want cash are afraid of having some sort of paper trail??   Is that it?  Just curious.  Personally, I wouldn't want a money order. I'd just wait. IMHO if people are so desperate that they need the cash immediately for food or gas, they shouldn't even be playing the lottery.

It's not about retailers always having the cash; it's about some retailers that never have the cash. It's not about accepting a money order as form of payment, it's about being told they can't or won't cash the ticket they sold us.

Albertson’s and Publix cash personal, payroll, and IRS refund checks, but some times run out of cash and will put up sign. There are probably many small stores that keep cash on hand to pay lottery tickets under $600 that run out of money too. And they either put up a sign or the clerk will tell you when you try to cash the ticket and maybe give you the option of taking a check or money order.

"What if 3 or 4 people walked into the store that day?"

Let's say last night you won and the ticket is worth $150 so tonight you decide to buy some extra Fantasy5 or Lotto tickets with your winnings. So you go to the store where you bought the ticket, buy the tickets, and hand the clerk the winning ticket as payment and he tells you he can't cash tickets over $100. Hopefully you'll have enough cash to pay for what you bought and take the ticket somewhere else.

Cashing a ticket means handing it to the clerk for payment and if money orders are a form of payment, why don't the tickets, lottery websites, or the stores tell us that before we buy or try to cash the ticket?

With the price of gas I can understand why clerks don't want to payout cash to lottery winners. It cost over $30 to fill up a small car and after filling up and I hand the clerk a $50, I don't want the change in money orders. 

"I wonder if people who only want cash are afraid of having some sort of paper trail??"

That's assuming the store has money orders; some don't. It's pretty easy to put up a sign saying "lottery winnings between $100 and $600 will be paid by money order" and if people have a problem with that, they can go somewhere else.

I'd be happy to get a money order but the store still has to have the funds to pay for it. I think that and/or not wanting to wait for reimbursement by the lottery is why some stores won't cash tickets.

That is a problem between lottery advertising and their agents but the players get caught in the middle. If money orders are form of payment, fine; then all the stores should do that, but they tell us they can't cash the ticket and go somewhere else.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
                      Member #6363
                      August 20, 2004
                      4151 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2008, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

You can't monitor who is cashing Lottery tickets from an ATM.  State Legislatures get hinky with the thought of underage persons cashing gambling chits.

If that is the case, states would not use vending machines that sell lottery tickets either, but they do. The states don't care who's buying as long as they get their money. There may be other factors that could keep them from using ATMs, but that one can't be high on the list of reasons not to.

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7344 Posts
                        Posted: February 23, 2008, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

dude YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT....NOWHERE in the back of the ticket it says they have to CASH...it says they have to pay...pay doesn't automatically mean cash...they are more than happy to give you MO becasue it doesn't drain their cash...what i was discussing above was look at it as from a perspective of cash drain...you are going of in a tangent now comparing bud lights and other stuff..you cashing in a ticket is not the same as buying something there..you are not buying anything when you cash the ticket so the store is no that much interested in your business...yea the discussion is about stores that dont cash...the reason is that they don't want to let go of their cash...they will never refuse you a money order..

"yea the discussion is about stores that dont cash...the reason is that they don't want to let go of their cash...they will never refuse you a money order.."

Cashing a ticket means handing it to a lottery agent and doesn’t necessarily mean the form of payment has to be cash. The store still needs the funds to pay for the money order and will still have to wait until they sell that amount of tickets.

I know of 5 places that sell lottery tickets within a 1 mile radius of my house and know of areas where there are 10 or 20 in the same radius. A clerk doesn't have to give us a choice of taking a money order as payment when they know and we know there are other stores in the area. There probably are people that would demand cash, check, or a money order but those us of with common sense simply go to the other store.

Most of these stores use RJ's plan A; only cash tickets that are exchanged for an equal amount of other tickets.

Sunny California
                          United States
                          Member #40295
                          May 31, 2006
                          7713 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2008, 9:07 am - IP Logged

I only buy tickets at my neighborhood mom/pop liquor store. If I win a big amount I usually will go later on in the day to cash in. Good advice here, would definitely report any store who refused to pay me to the lottery,that's just not right!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2008, 11:34 am - IP Logged

I only buy tickets at my neighborhood mom/pop liquor store. If I win a big amount I usually will go later on in the day to cash in. Good advice here, would definitely report any store who refused to pay me to the lottery,that's just not right!

I buy my tickets at a variety of different stores. Mom/pop, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. but if I were to cash a big win, I would go to one of the grocery stores. They tend to have the money to pay out.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                              Member #4121
                              March 23, 2004
                              817 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2008, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I too had a hard time collecting cash prizes but now I only go to those check-cashing places.  They have loads of cash on hand.  I was never denied a cash payout under $600.  Yeah, those mom and pop candy stores have very little cash on hand.