Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Not all Retailers Pay Out to $599

Topic closed. 93 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Tenaj.

Page 6 of 7
PrintE-mailLink
Los Angeles CA
United States
Member #55727
October 16, 2007
195 Posts
Posted: February 24, 2008, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Wow didn't think this thread would get so much response, cool.

I read it through it all and there were just a few points I wanted to touch on.

To the guy who posted like 8 times about getting a money order, I went to places that had money orders and that was not an option, they needed the money to pay for the money order just the same as they would need the money to pay me. You are from a different state things may be different but that is not an option here in Cali. Nor do I want it, I specifically play str/box pick3s because there is never a chance of winning a prize over $599(well there is a chance I suppose but pretty damn slim) and when I gamble I like to get cash! Like I wanna take another trip to the bank, wait in line for that, wait 3 days or whatever for funds to clear, thats cool if I hit Fantasy 5 or Super Lotto Plus, cause thats gonna be be more cash than I want to carry.

No I gamble on pick 3 to win cash money Wink

Really my post was more about I was frustrated with the whole situation, and did that make sense to others? I think a lot of great response from people with previous winning experience laid out the best plan so the next time I win, I don't deal with being ticked cause I keep hearing No when I got a winner. Thank you much for that, plus a lot of cool ideas came up. I really like the Automated Lotto Casher Machine idea, reguardless if it will ever happen, makes sense to me. Thanks again for all your help, Lottery Post rocks

EXMECHANIC

"My dollar buys hope, what does yours do?" 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19816 Posts
    Posted: February 24, 2008, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I think these small ma/pa business sell lottery tickets to attract customers and get the commissions.  Knowing that less than 3% will win anything and most of those that do will win less than $20, they make no plans to payout the larger prizes and settle for telling their bigger winners to cash their tickets else where. 

This works here in Ohio, but when I was traveling in Kentucky, I saw stores with signs posted out front that read "Only cash lottery tickets bought here".  I know they were mainly referring to scratch-offs, but I would be surprised if they would cash in any tickets bought else where.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
      Member #13130
      March 30, 2005
      2171 Posts
      Posted: February 24, 2008, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

The "we only cash tickets bought here" policy will annoy honest people, but probably cuts down on those stolen scratch-off scams we've been reading about on other threads.

Hmmm, I guess that means it annoys crooks, too.Jester

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
      Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: February 24, 2008, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Stack says...Let's say last night you won and the ticket is worth $150 so tonight you decide to buy some extra Fantasy5 or Lotto tickets with your winnings. So you go to the store where you bought the ticket, buy the tickets, and hand the clerk the winning ticket as payment and he tells you he can't cash tickets over $100. Hopefully you'll have enough cash to pay for what you bought and take the ticket somewhere else.

Stack, I would never do that.  I always ask for my money before purchasing additional tickets.  As I've mentioned before, I've never won a lot of money, but before I hand any lottery cards to a clerk, my ticket is scanned and the winning amount shows in the screen. Then whatever I purchase is deducted from the total.  There's also no chance of a winning ticket being scanned and not paid because I always say "I won $75" with this ticket before any other transactions. That's why when a clerk at 7-11 once gave me a hard time about getting a few dollars back, I said he should have told me when I handed him the ticket.  It was only $11, I bought 5 tickets and he owed me $6.  No biggy, but I didn't like being told to spend my $6 on more tickets. Of course he had $6.  The same guy tried to keep one of my free tickets, which I mentioned on another thread. I notice he no longer works there! (lasted about a week)  Maybe he wasn't dishonest - just bad with money and got overwhelmed.  The little girls who sold me cookies (maybe in 2nd grade) the other night had no trouble making change.

EAST COAST, USA
          United States
          Member #49428
          January 31, 2007
          553 Posts
          Posted: February 24, 2008, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

This problem is easy solved this way:  (at least for me it is cause this is the way i do it)

Find a (store/supermarket/sunoco) that sells MONEY ORDERS and lottery together..ask to be paid in money order if it is a large sum...sometimes they will split give you some cash ~100 bucks so that you have some cash in hand and the rest is a bunch of money orders you can fill em out payable to yourself...take em to the bank, in two or three days they are processed...

NO cash register will give you $500 cash or above, they serve other customers as well, store needs money for other things besides lotto etc...

I have relationships with several stores and have no problems cashing tickets that are $300 and above up to $600.  The key word though is "relationship."  The store manager's usually come up with the money.  I've never gotten a money order and I do win on occassion. 

EAST COAST, USA
            United States
            Member #49428
            January 31, 2007
            553 Posts
            Posted: February 24, 2008, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

I have relationships with several stores and have no problems cashing tickets that are $300 and above up to $600.  The key word though is "relationship."  The store manager's usually come up with the money.  I've never gotten a money order and I do win on occassion. 

I also had a store to put the money on a prepaid debit card for me.  Which means that no cash exchanged hands except for the $4.95 fee for the card and the cash was available to me immediately on the card.  I could draw as much or as little as I wanted over a period of time or all at once.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23260 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2008, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Okay I didn't know how to title this topic, but it deals with my frustration today. 

Yesterday I won my first straight box for pick 3(yeah!) and I live in California so we have pari-mutuel pay-outs and my pay out was $436. In California like other states I've played lotto, on the back of the play slip it says you can cash up to $599 at participating cashing retailer. Now I just assumed that meant a terminal with an attendant who cashes prizes like when I win 3/5 on Fantasy Five. Well I go to 5 different places before I find someone who will cash my ticket, a ralph's supermarket. 

Now, is this pretty common? I mean if your a lottery retailer and you cash lower tier prizes, shouldn't you own up and pay out on prizes up to what is said on the back of the play slip? I don't know I just got frustrated driving around trying to get paid, is there something I missing here and being ticked off for no reason??

When stores sign up to sell the lottery, they sign a contract with the state lottery -- a service level agreement.  The contact states what the store is expected to do as a retailer.

In order to be a lottery retailer, it's my understanding that stores are required to be in a position to cash winning tickets up to the maximum $599.

Even if they're not, I would recommending reporting your experience to the state lottery, with as much detail as possible about what happened.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                Clarksville
                United States
                Member #487
                July 15, 2002
                17638 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2008, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

When stores sign up to sell the lottery, they sign a contract with the state lottery -- a service level agreement.  The contact states what the store is expected to do as a retailer.

In order to be a lottery retailer, it's my understanding that stores are required to be in a position to cash winning tickets up to the maximum $599.

Even if they're not, I would recommending reporting your experience to the state lottery, with as much detail as possible about what happened.

Report Them to the lottery commission ASAP!!  If they don't fulfill the agreements in the contract they signed to sell lottery tickets, they can be suspended from selling tickets or just plain revoked.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: February 24, 2008, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Todd and Littloldlady. If the stores can't fulfill their end of the agreement by cashing in tickets, then maybe they shouldn't be selling them in the first place.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Los Angeles CA
                    United States
                    Member #55727
                    October 16, 2007
                    195 Posts
                    Posted: February 26, 2008, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

To give an update to everyone, I did call the CA lottery about this situation. I first talked to a CA Lottery rep and told her my problem, and she didn't seem to care to much, but she did offer me a chance to complain if I wanted, and I wanted. So she transfered me to security.

Security was awesome, I told her my situation, and the stores I went to, she explained that if a store can't pay a ticket they should be making arrangements with the winner for when they can cash the ticket, say later in the day, or the next day. As Todd stated there is an agreement where they must honor winning tickets $599 and below. I told her how 7-11 and Cheveron wouldn't cash my ticket, she got the address's of those places, and assured me that a Lottery Rep would be making a visit to those places to remind them of their agreement. And she said if an establishment gets multiple complaints they will lose their ability to sell lotto tickets. Good Luck and Good Day all

EXMECHANIC

"My dollar buys hope, what does yours do?" 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: February 26, 2008, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

To give an update to everyone, I did call the CA lottery about this situation. I first talked to a CA Lottery rep and told her my problem, and she didn't seem to care to much, but she did offer me a chance to complain if I wanted, and I wanted. So she transfered me to security.

Security was awesome, I told her my situation, and the stores I went to, she explained that if a store can't pay a ticket they should be making arrangements with the winner for when they can cash the ticket, say later in the day, or the next day. As Todd stated there is an agreement where they must honor winning tickets $599 and below. I told her how 7-11 and Cheveron wouldn't cash my ticket, she got the address's of those places, and assured me that a Lottery Rep would be making a visit to those places to remind them of their agreement. And she said if an establishment gets multiple complaints they will lose their ability to sell lotto tickets. Good Luck and Good Day all

Thumbs Up Nice job!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: February 26, 2008, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

This is the rule in NC from the Lottery Commission and the Retailer contract.

A lottery game retailer will make the purchase and redemption of lottery tickets convenient and readily
                        accessible to the public. Lottery tickets will be available for sale during the lottery game retailers
                        normal business hours; the lottery game retailer agrees to provide for the redemption of winning
                        tickets during the same hours, up to the amount established by the Commission and subject to the
                        Commission’s approved validation hours.

During its normal business hours a lottery game retailer agrees to immediately validate and pay
                        winning Lottery tickets under Six Hundred Dollars ($600.00), and make NCEL claim forms available to
                        players.

I think I understand the purpose of the the following rule but NC has changed a lot of the rules they started out with.  This is one I hope they change.

A lottery game retailer must not be engaged exclusively in the business of selling lottery tickets

SC has stores have those places and all they sell is Lottery Stuff and just other little snacks and have tables where you can sit down, scratch tickets, eat.

However, I did send an email to the NC Lottery to ask the same question about redeeming tickets  and I wanted to know also if the players can have privy to the pre-test draws, when and how.

takeemtothebank

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

Wtg! Hurray!

I'm glad that the lottery rep took you complaint seriously and will be talking to these stores about the contract that they signed and the rules.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                            PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: February 26, 2008, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

Strange. I got $2600 in cash in my little town for Big 4, tax free! $2500 and $100 for straight and boxed. But separate tickets thankfully, aas I think anything over $2500 you have to claim.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8360 Posts
                              Posted: February 26, 2008, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

7-11's ................ farm stores some gas stations etc usually drop all the big money in a safe behind the counter. You usually won't get a ticket cashed their no mater what state you live in. Unless the store manage is on site and does it discretely.

If you go into a 7-11 and ask for a money order for 300 bucks and hand him/her the money they will automatically put that money in a safe. 7-11's probably are the most robbed stores in the country their policy is to not have big cash on hand.