Tonight's Fla. Lotto drawing first to let players increase jackpot

Mar 5, 2008, 2:08 pm (26 comments)

Florida Lottery

Also first drawing to use new playslips

Lotto players who buy their tickets on the day of the drawing need to give themselves a few extra minutes to get tickets for tonight's drawing.  Tonight's is the first drawing since the Florida Lottery made changes to Lotto and the old play slips no longer work.

The big change is that players can spend $1 or $2 extra to increase the size of the Lotto jackpot.

Tonight's jackpot is $3 million and a $1 play buys a chance to win that amount — or a chance to share in it if more than one ticket wins. A player who spends $2 on a single set of numbers is going for a $13 million jackpot and a player who wagers $3 on a single set of numbers is going for a $28 million pot.

A check of retailers around Central Florida indicates players are much more aggravated by having to fill out new play slips than they are anxious to spend an extra dollar or two to increase the size of the jackpot.

Switching numbers from an old play slip to a new one isn't simple because the number grids are different.

The odds of picking all six numbers are 1 in 22,957,480, according to the Lottery.

Orlando Sentinel

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

WOW!~~~~~~~~~~What a great idea!!!!!!!!!

Party

benmas's avatarbenmas

for the players the goal is to win jackpot...if you win jackpot you have already achieved your goal (becoming millionaire, no having to work, retiring etc) even at the $3 mill level......to put in the extra bucks means you are going for gravy money which comes after the original intended target....since it is so hard to win the jackpot (1:22mill ) in my opinion the extra dollar is better spent on an additional set of numbers...

NYSlugger 777's avatarNYSlugger 777

Quote: Originally posted by JackpotWanna on Mar 5, 2008

WOW!~~~~~~~~~~What a great idea!!!!!!!!!

Party

I disagree .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a nice way for Florida to fatten lottery reserves and their coffers.It sounds good for lottery players but its not.

Because while spending the extra dollar or two it will add to the jackpot win "if"(rememember the BIG "IF") you win the jackpot.However this new method of spending an extra buck or two does not alter your odds of hitting that jacpot the odds of winning the jackpot is still the same(spending the extra buck or two does not lower your odds of winning)!And those odds stand at greater than 22 million to one.Lets face it you only need one dollar to hit a jackpot and win millions,Why pay double or triple that amount to attempt to beat the same high odds for the extra millions?It is ridiclous because  for over 30 years we've played our hard earned bucks, yet never hit the jackpot .So why would anyone believe that you could now hit the lottery with $2 or $3 on your one ticket?Put this situation into prespective if you wheeled 18 lotto numbers for a cost of say $42.00 to try to win a twenty million dollar jackpot,why would you wheel that very same 18 ball arrays for DOUBLE! $$84.00 or even triple $126.00 just to gain an extra $10 or even $25 mil?How many system players can afford that kind of extra cost?Youve already got a fine jackpot at 20 million dollars with your $42 dollar system so really whats the difference?Now if you lose,which is the normal in lotto(because no one hits the jackpot 95% of the time) then you will be losing double and triple your money in the process!!And thats whats so silly about this idea.It seems Florida is pandering to the greed of its players who dare to dream big dreams of winning mega mega millions.They and perhaps some $1 per drawing players,are the only ones who will in dulge in wagering that extra $2 or $3 wager.Not the regular player who wants to be in it to win it.The one who studys the game and then uses systems to play his/her picks.I wouldnt even spend an extra dime on this idea because it only takes one buck to win millions and that single buck can do life altering things for me.So why would I put $2 or $3 on a single bet??Silly idea isnt it....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This crap is similar to the crappy, lucky sums feature new york added to its pick 3 and win 4.Lucky sums is where you spend an extra dollar on a 3 digit number and win a low prize about 12 bucks.....oh and if your 3 digit number is wrong you win nothing.

JackpotWanna's avatarJackpotWanna

Quote: Originally posted by NYSlugger 777 on Mar 5, 2008

I disagree .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a nice way for Florida to fatten lottery reserves and their coffers.It sounds good for lottery players but its not.

Because while spending the extra dollar or two it will add to the jackpot win "if"(rememember the BIG "IF") you win the jackpot.However this new method of spending an extra buck or two does not alter your odds of hitting that jacpot the odds of winning the jackpot is still the same(spending the extra buck or two does not lower your odds of winning)!And those odds stand at greater than 22 million to one.Lets face it you only need one dollar to hit a jackpot and win millions,Why pay double or triple that amount to attempt to beat the same high odds for the extra millions?It is ridiclous because  for over 30 years we've played our hard earned bucks, yet never hit the jackpot .So why would anyone believe that you could now hit the lottery with $2 or $3 on your one ticket?Put this situation into prespective if you wheeled 18 lotto numbers for a cost of say $42.00 to try to win a twenty million dollar jackpot,why would you wheel that very same 18 ball arrays for DOUBLE! $$84.00 or even triple $126.00 just to gain an extra $10 or even $25 mil?How many system players can afford that kind of extra cost?Youve already got a fine jackpot at 20 million dollars with your $42 dollar system so really whats the difference?Now if you lose,which is the normal in lotto(because no one hits the jackpot 95% of the time) then you will be losing double and triple your money in the process!!And thats whats so silly about this idea.It seems Florida is pandering to the greed of its players who dare to dream big dreams of winning mega mega millions.They and perhaps some $1 per drawing players,are the only ones who will in dulge in wagering that extra $2 or $3 wager.Not the regular player who wants to be in it to win it.The one who studys the game and then uses systems to play his/her picks.I wouldnt even spend an extra dime on this idea because it only takes one buck to win millions and that single buck can do life altering things for me.So why would I put $2 or $3 on a single bet??Silly idea isnt it....

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This crap is similar to the crappy, lucky sums feature new york added to its pick 3 and win 4.Lucky sums is where you spend an extra dollar on a 3 digit number and win a low prize about 12 bucks.....oh and if your 3 digit number is wrong you win nothing.

I would try 3 sets of $3 for $9

$28 million come my way!

Todd's avatarTodd

I actually think this is a great idea, for a few reasons.

1. It gives players a choice of raising the jackpot without making the game more difficult to win.  If you're like me, you love when Mega Millions or Powerball try to make the jackpots larger, but you hate when they make the game harder to win in order to achieve it.
  2. The Florida Lotto jackpot gets hit often, because it is such a popular game, with relatively good odds of winning.  (And because MM and PB are not available in the state.)  Thus, the jackpot often stays on the low-end.  Players can now bump it up on their own.
  3. They didn't change the game.  Did I already say that?  Well, it's worth mentioning again.
  4. It's like the multipliers in other states, except it bumps up the jackpot instead of the lower-tier prizes.  Isn't that a good thing?
  5. This is like buying multiple Pick 4 tickets with the same straight combination.  Except instead of just doubling the prize if you win, this will more than triple tonight's $3 million jackpot if you hit all six numbers (for one extra dollar), or will multiply the jackpot by more than 9 times for an extra $2.  (I know it's not a multiplier per-se, but if you think in those terms for this $3 million jackpot, that's exactly what you're looking at.)

I think this will be very popular, and even more so after someone wins the increased jackpot.  Look for other states to add something similar.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I agree with NYSlugger.  I think it's a terrible idea.  They are dangling a carrot in front of people, tempting them to spend more money on a game that has 1 in 23M odds.  If the lower tier prizes were increased, it might be different, but with $30 scratch-offs, $20 raffles and $3 Lotto tickets, soon the lottery will be only for 2 groups of people...the poor who are desperate & spending their food/rent money and the rich for whom $50 a week is a drop in the bucket. 

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

Hey guys,  Long time, no see.  Anyway, let me get this straight.  Is it kinda like, there will be one drawing of numbers, but for 3 games, one costing $1, one costing $2, and one costing $3?  Now if someone matches all 6 numbes on a $2 ticket, but not on a $1 or $3 ticket, do those jackpots still grow?

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on Mar 5, 2008

Hey guys,  Long time, no see.  Anyway, let me get this straight.  Is it kinda like, there will be one drawing of numbers, but for 3 games, one costing $1, one costing $2, and one costing $3?  Now if someone matches all 6 numbes on a $2 ticket, but not on a $1 or $3 ticket, do those jackpots still grow?

No, nothing like that.  It's just the same ole' game, but someone can pay to make the jackpot bigger for their ticket.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 5, 2008

I agree with NYSlugger.  I think it's a terrible idea.  They are dangling a carrot in front of people, tempting them to spend more money on a game that has 1 in 23M odds.  If the lower tier prizes were increased, it might be different, but with $30 scratch-offs, $20 raffles and $3 Lotto tickets, soon the lottery will be only for 2 groups of people...the poor who are desperate & spending their food/rent money and the rich for whom $50 a week is a drop in the bucket. 

Well, if the Fla. Lottery must get more revenue, I guess the alternative would be that they make the game harder to win.  You'd probably hate that too.  But the difference is that you'd be forced to play that, vs. this option, which you can ignore.  Why on Earth hate something that has zero effect on you?  A waste of effort.  Save the hatred for something that affects you.  (My advice)

Nirvona

It seems to me that this method is just like the Powerplay with the Powerball....only difference is your are picking your extra..not the system. Am I wrong? I live in between SC and FL so I drive to both....but Fl has a win every other week..and it is not me, so I quit that route because SC is much closer. However, I do still go to SC, but never play the powerplay....cause I don't win there either. Still wishing.....on a star.....

"Why on Earth hate something that has zero effect on you?  A waste of effort.  Save the hatred for something that affects you."   -- Todd

Todd, where did I use the word "hate?"   Please show me where I expressed any form of hatred? We're talking about a game here aren't we?  I honestly don't know what you mean. I only said it was a terrible idea IMO.  I didn't use the word hate anywhere in my post.  The only effect it has on me is if I win and wish I had spent another dollar or 2, which is exactly what the lottery is trying to do.  "Oh, I better spend another $2 just in case after all these years I finally hit it."   

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 5, 2008

"Why on Earth hate something that has zero effect on you?  A waste of effort.  Save the hatred for something that affects you."   -- Todd

Todd, where did I use the word "hate?"   Please show me where I expressed any form of hatred? We're talking about a game here aren't we?  I honestly don't know what you mean. I only said it was a terrible idea IMO.  I didn't use the word hate anywhere in my post.  The only effect it has on me is if I win and wish I had spent another dollar or 2, which is exactly what the lottery is trying to do.  "Oh, I better spend another $2 just in case after all these years I finally hit it."   

You're right, you said "terrible".

I'm not sure why you would deem something "terrible" that has no effect on you personally.  If I had the option, I would personally choose to use it for numbers I had a good feeling about.  People play the same Pick 4 numbers 2, 3, 5, 10, or even 20 times.  Is that terrible too?  There is no difference that I can see, except that it's a better value for the dollar in this case.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by Nirvona on Mar 5, 2008

It seems to me that this method is just like the Powerplay with the Powerball....only difference is your are picking your extra..not the system. Am I wrong? I live in between SC and FL so I drive to both....but Fl has a win every other week..and it is not me, so I quit that route because SC is much closer. However, I do still go to SC, but never play the powerplay....cause I don't win there either. Still wishing.....on a star.....

I agree that it seems kind of like a Powerplay or a Sizzler (Hot Lotto's version of Powerplay.) I can see the appeal of it, but if I was in that state, I probably would be one of those people who didn't really use it. I have a set budget to spend and it would be kind of a waste for me to spend $2 or $3 extra dollars on one play.

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on Mar 5, 2008

No youve got it totally wrong.Leaving

No there will be one drawing of numbers for one game.If you spend  a dollar on one game it will cost you $1.00 and the max amount of games playable with $1 is one.The max amount of games playable with $2 is two.Each game is one dollar if you can see the pattern.Yes 3 games is going to cost you 3 dollars "total" at one dollar for each game.Now its just an option but lets say you want to play only one game and you know for sure which numbers all 6 winning numbers will be.You tell the lottery agent the six numbers ,but with FLorida's new option you will be able to spend an extra dollar on the same exact ticket making the total cost of your one ticket 2 dollars.If your 6 numbers are drawn and you played them for a dollar only and didnt add the second dollar to the same ticket you would have 3 million.If you told your lotto agent you wanted to make the ticket cost 2 dollars for only one set of six numbers this adds 10 mil to the 3 mil you would of won had you spent only a dollar.So by spending two dollars on one ticket its basically adding a bonus amount of money to your first place prize win,so if the orignal jackpot was 3 mil and you had the 6 numbers and the extra dollar added to your one ticket to make the total cost two ,then you would win the orignal 3 million dollar prize plus A BONUS 10 MILLION for adding the extra dollar feature to your one ticket.Make one ticket cost a total of 3 dollars and you triple your jackpot win.This isnt a mandatory feature you can play the game regularly which would be you choose 6 numbers to play for tonights lotto draw and your cost is the normal one dollar per ticket.The adding extra one or two dollars to one game is only an option that can be done if you as a player choose to do so.

BobP's avatarBobP

I see two advantages:

1. If you need a minimum jackpot amount of say $10 million and don't want to share, and the current jackpot is only $3 million and you only buy a few tickets it's a way to go.

2. If you only play when the prize is over a certain amount, this is a way to play more often.

I don't see mention of what happens if you buy your combination 3 times for $3 dollars each, can you win $75 million?  We've already seen articles about winners who bought the same combination 3 to 5 times and had to share the prize with themselves. Wonder what it would take to break the bank of the Florida Lottery's budget for this feature?  Like spending $99 on your lucky combination, would they freak, cut off play on the combination like the daily games do for an over subscribed number or what?   Remember the stories about the thousands of people who play 1-2-3-4-5-6 what if only 10% put $2 on 1-2-3-4-5-6 and it comes in?  No pari-mutuel on the bonus boost increase, right?  

BobP

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Mar 5, 2008

Well, if the Fla. Lottery must get more revenue, I guess the alternative would be that they make the game harder to win.  You'd probably hate that too.  But the difference is that you'd be forced to play that, vs. this option, which you can ignore.  Why on Earth hate something that has zero effect on you?  A waste of effort.  Save the hatred for something that affects you.  (My advice)

I Agree! it sounds like a pretty cool option to me.

Hey todd I know you like the idea but I didnt mean to refer to FLoridas new idea/feature as crap. everyone has an opinion on different things and theres nothing wrong with that/ theres no way an opinion can possibly be wrong its an opinion!.An opinion and fact are different so heres a fact...People play lottery games.Heres an opinion. Cadillac cars are the best looking cars ever made!

Ok so anyway I only refered to the new feature as crap because it was just my opinion about this feature after I added the facts together.THose facts were.

1.) Using Floridas extra one dollar or two dollar feature does not lower your odds of hitting the jackpot.

2.)Florida has not come up with any features that will allow you to lower your odds of winning the mega millions or jackpot.(neither has any other state but still coming up with an idea that will allow their players to spend double the money hmmm I wonder why) I mean one out of twenty two million is diffucult odds to beat,so wouldnt it be nice to come up with a feature that will somehow lower your odds by spending the extra dollar?!Theres no need for that.Instead of spending two dollars on one high odds game, use the other dollar to play a second game by playing two games with 2 different sets of six numbers thats higher odds than if you were only to play one game instead !

3.) FLa lottery has came up with an idea that will allow their lottery players to spend extra money out of their pockets to beat the same high odds game.Spending the extra dollar or two on one ticket enables you to win extra money only if you manage to trap all the winning  numbers.

4.)If you spend 2 dollars on a one dollar ticket for only one game and you do not hit the jackpot instead of throwing away your losing one dollar ticket that unfortunately did not have the winning jackpot numbers, you will now be throwing away a ticket worth double  a 2 dollar or 3 dollar ticket into the garbage bucket instead of a one dollar ticket.

benmas's avatarbenmas

Quote: Originally posted by BobP on Mar 6, 2008

I see two advantages:

1. If you need a minimum jackpot amount of say $10 million and don't want to share, and the current jackpot is only $3 million and you only buy a few tickets it's a way to go.

2. If you only play when the prize is over a certain amount, this is a way to play more often.

I don't see mention of what happens if you buy your combination 3 times for $3 dollars each, can you win $75 million?  We've already seen articles about winners who bought the same combination 3 to 5 times and had to share the prize with themselves. Wonder what it would take to break the bank of the Florida Lottery's budget for this feature?  Like spending $99 on your lucky combination, would they freak, cut off play on the combination like the daily games do for an over subscribed number or what?   Remember the stories about the thousands of people who play 1-2-3-4-5-6 what if only 10% put $2 on 1-2-3-4-5-6 and it comes in?  No pari-mutuel on the bonus boost increase, right?  

BobP

the info below is from florida lottery website:

The jackpot prize won will depend on the amount played and the number of 6-of-6 winners per prize pool:

$1 player(s) will win the FLORIDA LOTTO base jackpot.

$2 player(s) will win the base jackpot plus $10 million from the $2 jackpot prize pool.

$3 player(s) will win the base jackpot plus $10 million from the $2 jackpot prize pool and $15 million from the $3 jackpot prize pool – a total of $25 million added to the base jackpot!

If there are multiple winners, the base jackpot, the $2 jackpot prize pool and the $3 jackpot prize pool will be shared among winners who are eligible for that prize pool.

Example of a shared jackpot with three jackpot winners (one of which played $1, one which played $2 and one which played $3): Each winner will receive 1/3 of the base jackpot prize; the $2 and $3 players will each receive 1/2 of the $10 million from the $2 jackpot prize pool; and, the $3 player will receive the entire $15 million from the $3 jackpot prize pool. If the base jackpot is $3 million, the $1 player will win $1 million, the $2 player will win $6 million and the $3 player will win $21 million.

* The advertised jackpot(s) are the amount the Lottery will pay a single winner in 30 annual payments. If there are multiple 6-of-6 winners, the jackpot prizes will be shared equally within the applicable prize pool. Winners of the $2 and $3 jackpot prize pools will win their share of the applicable prize pool as well as their share of the lesser jackpot pools.

** If no FLORIDA LOTTO ticket matches all six winning numbers, the base jackpot rolls over and the cash in the base jackpot prize pool is carried over to the next drawing. The $2 and $3 jackpot prize pools will not be carried over.

Current jackpots:

$3 play $32million,

$2 play $17 million

$1 play $7 million

BobP's avatarBobP

Ya, I published my post, then went to the Florida Lottery site, found the same as you and didn't get back in time to edit or delete my post.  Would have been fun to put some real money on a combination. BobP

benmas's avatarbenmas

i don't live anywhere near florida but i will check back occasionally and see how this feature will be played out...personally for my style of play I would NOT pay the extra dollar, i would rather play another combo... however the lottery has many ways to prove one wrong...who knows it might pay off really well for someone out there that does pay the extra bux and hits big...yeah it is a feature that favors the odds of lottery makers heavily but you never know...

Coin Toss's avatarCoin Toss

"The Florida lottery player's dilemma" 

Decisions, decisions, my extra dollar towards a bigger jackpot if I win, or to cut the odds in half with another set of numbers...

What to do, what to do....

What?      Bang Head

Omniscient's avatarOmniscient

The State of FL's greed is banking on it's players greed to fall for this trickery. Your odds are still the same, bad. Why would you willingly give more money to play the same numbers ?!? Looks like they've increased the voluntary tax(lottery) on all of us!

mken32's avatarmken32

Quote: Originally posted by Omniscient on Mar 6, 2008

The State of FL's greed is banking on it's players greed to fall for this trickery. Your odds are still the same, bad. Why would you willingly give more money to play the same numbers ?!? Looks like they've increased the voluntary tax(lottery) on all of us!

Bang Head Flalottery  know about the weak side of people trick them into thinking that they'll win big but how many people played lastnight at the 3.00 mark.. and lost I rather keep at 1.00 and ask for greater odds like mega millions and still believe that I had a chance with one dollar I know I still can play for a buck but it's the temptation inside of me that won't let me be honest to myself.......

KyMystikal's avatarKyMystikal

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Mar 5, 2008

I Agree!

I wish Kentucky would do something like that with it's CashBall game.

Quote: Originally posted by Omniscient on Mar 6, 2008

Thank you!  They should have a second chance drawing or increase the lower tier prizes.  I know many people who have played Lotto for 20 years and haven't even gotten 5/6.  (I'm one of them!)

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 6, 2008

Thank you!  They should have a second chance drawing or increase the lower tier prizes.  I know many people who have played Lotto for 20 years and haven't even gotten 5/6.  (I'm one of them!)

See that is kind of why I wouldn't waste putting an extra dollar or two on one line. The odds are against me winning a jackpot in the first place and I would rather use the money to buy more lines. I admit however, that I do use the Powerplay every now and then, but more often then not, I would rather buy and extra line then put another dollar on the same line.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story