Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I hope it (Powerball) rolls again

Topic closed. 47 replies. Last post 9 years ago by spy153.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2008, 1:12 am - IP Logged

"I have prayed that if I hit it someone else does too"

I can't understand the reasoning behind that at all. Anyone who says this is basically saying they would prefer to share the jackpot with a random stranger than with people (or charities) of their own choosing.

United States
    Member #58528
    February 18, 2008
    710 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2008, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I can't understand the reasoning behind that at all. Anyone who says this is basically saying they would prefer to share the jackpot with a random stranger than with people (or charities) of their own choosing.

I Agree! 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2008, 12:22 pm - IP Logged

OK guys, justify a need for $300,000,000 or more.

I don't think any indiviual can -  and I think wanting such an amount all for yourself (prize wise) brings a curse with it - combination of bad karma abd what the Kabbalists call the "Bread of Shame".

If somoene won $300,000,000 + on a solo hit, and had wished someone else also did, they'd be fine, but I honestly think delighting in,  "Mine, all mine" extremely brings on bad "vibes".

(Even assuming the oinner will give to charity after winning).   

But that's just me.

YMMV.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2008, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

I know you are quoting Coin Toss, not me, but I said something similar.  Yes, a big winner can always give money away, but aren't you sharing with strangers when you give to charities?

I also don't see the need for $300 million.  I think it would be easier just splitting it 10 ways than to distribute it later.  Can't remember, but someone on this board told me everyone desires power.  I have never had the desire to be filthy rich, and power or fame has never been my goal.  Of course, rich is a relative term.  Some people might think I'm rich now because I have a roof over my head and a car that runs. 

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2008, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

OK guys, justify a need for $300,000,000 or more.

I don't think any indiviual can -  and I think wanting such an amount all for yourself (prize wise) brings a curse with it - combination of bad karma abd what the Kabbalists call the "Bread of Shame".

If somoene won $300,000,000 + on a solo hit, and had wished someone else also did, they'd be fine, but I honestly think delighting in,  "Mine, all mine" extremely brings on bad "vibes".

(Even assuming the oinner will give to charity after winning).   

But that's just me.

YMMV.  

I won't "justify a need" for $300,000,000.Simply put,I'd love to win that kind of a jackpot and I refuse to be ashamed of wanting to be very wealthy.At least if I win a huge jackpot,it can be said that I came upon the money legally,not like the Kennedy family or other robber barons that are now looked upon by society as decent upright citizens.I see nothing wrong with being filthy rich.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 17, 2008, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

Some people might disagree with you, MaddMike.  Sure it's "legal" as you say.  But many people would not consider becoming rich by gambling a respectable way to earn a living.  I don't see anyone telling you that desire is shameful.  I'd also like an easy life with lots of money.  Maybe I'm only looking at the comments through my own eyes, however, but wealth & desire aren't sinful and I don't see anyone saying that.  Greed is something else.  The original topic is "I hope PB rolls again" which is what most of the remarks are based on. To me it's only an unreasonable statement, because it indicates that this person actually believes that just because the jackpot rolls, he has a better chance of winning it than another 100+ million people.  We've also had a few threads in the past where an LP member has written that he believes he deserves to win.  Think Megawinner started one of those.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: March 17, 2008, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

Ive heard jack whittaker spends 100 dollers on EVERY powerball drawing just to piss people off. LOL

I mean, it's only fair that the rich get richer. A lot of people on this board feel that way too. So it must be right.

I just love watching rich people in front of me waiting in line to buy tix. I truly hope they win all the time. It would break my heart if they couldn't buy that 5th vaction home. It gets boring living in just one mansion all the time. Roll Eyes

United States
                Member #58528
                February 18, 2008
                710 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Some people might disagree with you, MaddMike.  Sure it's "legal" as you say.  But many people would not consider becoming rich by gambling a respectable way to earn a living.  I don't see anyone telling you that desire is shameful.  I'd also like an easy life with lots of money.  Maybe I'm only looking at the comments through my own eyes, however, but wealth & desire aren't sinful and I don't see anyone saying that.  Greed is something else.  The original topic is "I hope PB rolls again" which is what most of the remarks are based on. To me it's only an unreasonable statement, because it indicates that this person actually believes that just because the jackpot rolls, he has a better chance of winning it than another 100+ million people.  We've also had a few threads in the past where an LP member has written that he believes he deserves to win.  Think Megawinner started one of those.

Anybody & everybody has the right to disagree with me.On the other hand,I have the right to disagree with anybody & everybody,too.That being said,I think its downright silly for someone to buy a Powerball ticket (no matter what the jackpot amount is) and hope that they get to share the jackpot with someone else.I don't think that "I hope the Powerball rolls again" is an unreasonable statement,if I did I wouldn't have started this thread.I love it when the jackpot goes astronomical.It allows me to dream of riches that a 12 or 15 million dollar jackpot does not allow me to dream of.I can't dream of multimillion dollar yachts because a smaller jackpot won't allow me to buy,staff and maintain one.Only a huge jackpot win will allow me to live in the luxory that I dream about.Most of us,including myself, will never win a Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot,but we can still dream.I prefer to dream larger than you.My dream does not include sharing the jackpot with anyone other than my immediate family.

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2008, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

MADDMike51

Let's do this with your post: 

"Anybody & everybody has the right to disagree with me.On the otherhand,I have the right to disagree with anybody & everybody,too.Thatbeing said,I think its downright silly for someone to buy a Powerballticket (no matter what the jackpot amount is) and hope that they get toshare the jackpot with someone else.I don't think that "I hope thePowerball rolls again" is an unreasonable statement,if I did I wouldn'thave started this thread.I love it when the jackpot goesastronomical.It allows me to dream of riches that a 12 or 15 milliondollar jackpot does not allow me to dream of.I can't dream ofmultimillion dollar yachts because a smaller jackpot won't allow me tobuy,staff and maintain one.Only a huge jackpot win will allow me tolive in the luxory that I dream about.Most of us, including myself, willnever win a Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot, but we can still dream.Iprefer to dream larger than you. My dream does not include sharing thejackpot with anyone other than my immediate family.

Speaks tons.  

Hoping the Powerball or any ottery rolls is perfectly normal. Hoping it rolls because I didn't hit it implies one thinks that all the other players out there exist only for that person's benefit.  

To each their own, but if $12 to $15 million wouldn't satisfy you I doubt that $300,000,000 would either.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2008, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

It looks as if some members here want to privatize the lottery. 

New Rule:  "You can't play if you earn a good income and you own a nice home." 

or at Lottery Headquarters..."Well, Sir.  We just ran your social security number and it appears you have too much money in the bank, so we can't pay you the prize you won Sat.  We're going to give it to someone who is needier.  Our goal is to make sure everyone gets to live a nice house & drives a new Mercedes.  In fact, if you played golf more than twice this week or went on a luxury cruise this month, you are automatically disqualified from receiving a check from us. What do you mean this isn't fair? Do you think this is a Democracy? It's your fault because you should have noticed the poor family in back of you when you put your greedy little hands into your pocket and bought the ticket in the first place you rich SOB!"

benmas's avatar - waveform
                      Rhode Island
                      United States
                      Member #56010
                      October 28, 2007
                      434 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2008, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

It looks as if some members here want to privatize the lottery. 

New Rule:  "You can't play if you earn a good income and you own a nice home." 

or at Lottery Headquarters..."Well, Sir.  We just ran your social security number and it appears you have too much money in the bank, so we can't pay you the prize you won Sat.  We're going to give it to someone who is needier.  Our goal is to make sure everyone gets to live a nice house & drives a new Mercedes.  In fact, if you played golf more than twice this week or went on a luxury cruise this month, you are automatically disqualified from receiving a check from us. What do you mean this isn't fair? Do you think this is a Democracy? It's your fault because you should have noticed the poor family in back of you when you put your greedy little hands into your pocket and bought the ticket in the first place you rich SOB!"

hahaha..nice response above...its a random game...anyone can win..it depends who's lucky that day 

United States
                        Member #58528
                        February 18, 2008
                        710 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2008, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

MADDMike51

Let's do this with your post: 

"Anybody & everybody has the right to disagree with me.On the otherhand,I have the right to disagree with anybody & everybody,too.Thatbeing said,I think its downright silly for someone to buy a Powerballticket (no matter what the jackpot amount is) and hope that they get toshare the jackpot with someone else.I don't think that "I hope thePowerball rolls again" is an unreasonable statement,if I did I wouldn'thave started this thread.I love it when the jackpot goesastronomical.It allows me to dream of riches that a 12 or 15 milliondollar jackpot does not allow me to dream of.I can't dream ofmultimillion dollar yachts because a smaller jackpot won't allow me tobuy,staff and maintain one.Only a huge jackpot win will allow me tolive in the luxory that I dream about.Most of us, including myself, willnever win a Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot, but we can still dream.Iprefer to dream larger than you. My dream does not include sharing thejackpot with anyone other than my immediate family.

Speaks tons.  

Hoping the Powerball or any ottery rolls is perfectly normal. Hoping it rolls because I didn't hit it implies one thinks that all the other players out there exist only for that person's benefit.  

To each their own, but if $12 to $15 million wouldn't satisfy you I doubt that $300,000,000 would either.

You are correct,to me it IS about me.

I don't interject myself into your dream,please don't interject yourself into mine.

I would be happy to win a 12 or 15 million dollar jackpot.I would be nearly 30 times happier to win a 300 million dollar jackpot.If you have a problem with that,its your problem,not mine.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2008, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

The first thing I would do if I won the JP, is to give it all away to the rich, because if they don't win by buying a ticket or two, then I must make sure they get paid somehow.

That's just the way I am. I feel bad for the rich, and I'll defend them to the death. I really don't know why I feel this way, but it's only fair in my mind for some strange freakin reason. It's in my blood.

We as a people must protect the rich and be their voice, because they will not speak up. It's our duty to inform all broke folks to change their way of thinking. Let's come to the realization that it's just the way it's supposed to be, and butch up.

C'mon people......wake up !...........Either get rich or get F***ed !

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: March 18, 2008, 4:15 am - IP Logged

I know you are quoting Coin Toss, not me, but I said something similar.  Yes, a big winner can always give money away, but aren't you sharing with strangers when you give to charities?

I also don't see the need for $300 million.  I think it would be easier just splitting it 10 ways than to distribute it later.  Can't remember, but someone on this board told me everyone desires power.  I have never had the desire to be filthy rich, and power or fame has never been my goal.  Of course, rich is a relative term.  Some people might think I'm rich now because I have a roof over my head and a car that runs. 

I guess it's a good thing I said "random stranger." Consider two choices. You could share an amount you choose with the strangers that charities have decided are deserving, or you could share 2/3 with Jack Whittaker and David Edwards. Which would you do?

I, OTOH, might choose to share with charities that don't give the money to people. I think you may be one of the people who has mentioned animals as a worthy cause. How much does it cost to build 50 animal shelters, or spay and neuter 250,000 dogs and cat? I could buy and donate land, fund environmental education or fund moorings for dive sites, or do any of thousands of other things that may benefit the environment far more directly than the people who would also benefit. I could start my own charity and choose which people would benefit, subject to the rules, of course. I've got a friend with a newborn that has a rare genetic disease, and will require millions in medical care. There are thousands of peope who could benefit from a college education but can't afford one. There are literally millions of worthy things somebody could pick from.

Of course you're right that it's easier to just let 9 other people win a share right from the start, but how much effort does it take to make a few choices and let the money do the things that you think are worthy? I would assume that everyone does want power, but perhaps I'm wrong. The alternative would seem to be that some people prefer to be powerless. In the case of sharing a jackpot it seems to me that you and Coin Toss would prefer to be powerless over as much as 90% of a jackpot. Money is a tool, plain and simple, and the more you have the more you can do. I'll certainly concede that it's a good thing that David Edwards only got 25% of the jackpot when he won. FTM, I'm not at all concerned about the sharing of any of the jackpots that have been won so far. If I win, OTOH, I'm confident that I can make a much better  use of the power than some people. More importantly, I get to use the money for the causes that I choose. The more I have, the more I can do to benefit those causes.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10351 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2008, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Here's another "choice" - we don't know that there haven't been some people who have won because other people were praying for them.

We don't know that if you don't pray for someone else to win you may be ensuring that you will never win.

Borders on the mystical, but heck, we've got an entire forum devoted to Mystical. 

Mystical things without any plausible explanation at all happen all the time.  

Lep