Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Interesting comment re: Quick Picks

Topic closed. 71 replies. Last post 9 years ago by manofmany.

Page 1 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10348 Posts
Posted: March 25, 2008, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

This is from:

The Lottery Book, The Truth Behind The Numbers  

by Don Catlin

2003 Bonus Books, Chicago

"Lucky numbers aren't so lucky when it comes to payoffs. Numbers such as 7, 11, and 13 get heave play, as do numbers such as 19 that are part of birth dates. What you want is a set of numbers no one else has. This way, if you do win, you'll be the only winner and won't have to split the prize. The best way to do this is to wait until the drawing time is near and then buy a quick pick, that is, let the lottery computer pick your numbers. Most, if not all, of these quick-pick schemes are designed to give you a set of numbers that hasn't been played up to that point in time. As any set of numberd is as likely to occur as any other set, so there is no disadvantage to playing this way."

p134

"Most, if not all, of these quick-pick schemes are designed to give youa set of numbers that hasn't been played up to that point in time"

That might be ideally but I'm prety sure it's not always the case.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: March 25, 2008, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

p134

"Most, if not all, of these quick-pick schemes are designed to give youa set of numbers that hasn't been played up to that point in time"

That might be ideally but I'm prety sure it's not always the case.

There's no way of telling if its set up that way.  In any case, IMO it depends more on the game.  For instance we have a 6/39 daily game where the JP is $350,000 and it doesn't become parimutual unless there are more than 20 jackpot winners on the same day (which aint ever gonna happen) so you don't have to worry about sharing the JP. And the fact that the computer may spit out a combination close to drawing time that hasn't been played yet (if that is the case) doesn't matter....it has no better chance of being drawn than any other combination.

If it's a large JP game, in the millions, I wouldn't care if I had to share it.  You seldom see more than 2 winning ticket on those on the same day (at least I haven't that I can remember) -- So big deal, instead of ten million I get 5 million.  Since most people won't make that working in their entire life I think I could live with it and be glad.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
      OC, CALI
      United States
      Member #59564
      March 19, 2008
      76 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2008, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

"Most, if not all, of these quick-pick schemes are designed togive you a set of numbers that hasn't been played up to that point intime"

if that were true then it most likely doesn't matter when you get your QP because all the QP's after yours will be different, and that accounts for the vast majority of the tickets sold. it basically takes all the QP's out of the equation and your left with the extremely small chance of someone else picking the same numbers as you, unless of course you do a pattern or bdays or fortune cookie etc

and thats assuming this QP filter takes into account ALL entries no matter if they are QP or not, cause otherwise it would make zero difference 

San Diego, CA
        United States
        Member #58386
        February 12, 2008
        287 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2008, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

How does buying quick pick tickets closer to the drawing make it more likely to be a winning ticket?

JustFrozen's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
          OC, CALI
          United States
          Member #59564
          March 19, 2008
          76 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2008, 8:23 pm - IP Logged

it doesn't, the guy is just claiming that it lessens the chance of someone else having the same numbers, which means you wont have to split the prize. not sure if u were confused or just making a point

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
            Member #47420
            November 4, 2006
            3930 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2008, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

There is no set rule or system..It's just dumb luck..It's ping pong balls.......

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2008, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

There is no set rule or system..It's just dumb luck..It's ping pong balls.......

Actually, if you look at previous results, you will see that elimination of "bad" sets is possible for the next drawing, thus giving you a better chance of hitting the jackpot. Of course, what's considered a bad set depends on what factors you look at and what calculations you use. I see so many people here trying to use "prediction formulas". There are no prediction formulas. Just look at the previous results and you will see how you can eliminate sets that aren't very likely to hit the jackpot, and surprisingly, you can eliminate quite a bit of sets.

Gonna win.Big Smile

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                Dump Water Florida
                United States
                Member #380
                June 5, 2002
                3102 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2008, 2:03 am - IP Logged

Nonsense by Catlin.  None of the Quick Picks make any attempt to check what was previously issued before generating your tickets.

First of all the Quick Picks are generated in the store machine. Think about how many Quick Pick tickets are being generated state wide simultaneously.  Imagine if they had to wait their turn to check the state computer to grab the next combinations in line. 

If the state did sell each combination in turn, there would always be a winner each time sales of Quick Picks exceeded the number of combinations in the game.  ergo fewer rollovers, lower sales, not what the lottery has in mind for us.

When you bought the Quick Pick, wouldn't make any difference in the quality of the combination toward winning.

Where do they come up with this stuff???

BobP

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2008, 3:16 am - IP Logged

"Most, if not all, of these quick-pick schemes are designed togive you a set of numbers that hasn't been played up to that point intime"

if that were true then it most likely doesn't matter when you get your QP because all the QP's after yours will be different, and that accounts for the vast majority of the tickets sold. it basically takes all the QP's out of the equation and your left with the extremely small chance of someone else picking the same numbers as you, unless of course you do a pattern or bdays or fortune cookie etc

and thats assuming this QP filter takes into account ALL entries no matter if they are QP or not, cause otherwise it would make zero difference 

"if that were true...  ...all the QP's after yours will be different "

Good catch. Here's a much better comment than the one from the book. Most books about winning the lottery don't offer much useful advice, but are almost certain to blow smoke up your ass.

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2008, 3:23 am - IP Logged

Actually, if you look at previous results, you will see that elimination of "bad" sets is possible for the next drawing, thus giving you a better chance of hitting the jackpot. Of course, what's considered a bad set depends on what factors you look at and what calculations you use. I see so many people here trying to use "prediction formulas". There are no prediction formulas. Just look at the previous results and you will see how you can eliminate sets that aren't very likely to hit the jackpot, and surprisingly, you can eliminate quite a bit of sets.

If there was actually a useful method of eliminating combinations that were unlikely to be drawn, that would be a prediction formula. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine which combinations are unlikely to be drawn. It's easy to fool the gullible people, because you can pick any million "unlikely" combinations, and random probability means that none of them is likely to be drawn. The reality is that picking an "unlikely" combination and having it drawn is exactly as difficult as picking a "likely" combination and having it drawn. Saying you're eliminating a bunch of combinations is just another way of saying you're good enough to pick a lot of losers.

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                      mn
                      United States
                      Member #59040
                      March 4, 2008
                      276 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:21 am - IP Logged

If there was actually a useful method of eliminating combinations that were unlikely to be drawn, that would be a prediction formula. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine which combinations are unlikely to be drawn. It's easy to fool the gullible people, because you can pick any million "unlikely" combinations, and random probability means that none of them is likely to be drawn. The reality is that picking an "unlikely" combination and having it drawn is exactly as difficult as picking a "likely" combination and having it drawn. Saying you're eliminating a bunch of combinations is just another way of saying you're good enough to pick a lot of losers.

True, but any method reducing chances of losing have valid points. Because the chances overall are so vast (1/140000000+) there are ways to manipulate the system for your benefit, im not saying you can win, but there are people out there that have developed successfull methods of deduction and reap the benefits on a systematic basis.

"Gee Brain, what do you want to do tonight?"
                      "The same thing we do every night, Pinky- try to take over the world."

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #55889
                        October 23, 2007
                        5591 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:32 am - IP Logged

I know if I had bought a QP last night that started with 38, I would not have been too happy. Fact is, you just don't know what is going to play for any particular draw, even though it is very rare to see the numbers start that high. 

rubberbandman's avatar - Spawn Classic.jpg
                          mn
                          United States
                          Member #59040
                          March 4, 2008
                          276 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:34 am - IP Logged

I know if I had bought a QP last night that started with 38, I would not have been too happy. Fact is, you just don't know what is going to play for any particular draw, even though it is very rare to see the numbers start that high. 

Yeah, but as I said before there are ways to beat the system.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10348 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Yeah, but as I said before there are ways to beat the system.

OK rubberbandman, prove it then.

One ounce of "did" beats one ton of "gonna". 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

pittsburgh
                              United States
                              Member #51040
                              March 25, 2007
                              457 Posts
                              Posted: March 26, 2008, 9:48 am - IP Logged

Im sorry to say it but aint noone on this forum going to win the jackpot including ME