Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

At what jackpot will you continue or quit working?

Topic closed. 68 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 5 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

What jackpot win is your cutoff to quit working all together?

$1,000,000 [ 16 ]  [16.33%]
$5,000,000 [ 21 ]  [21.43%]
$10,000,000 [ 9 ]  [9.18%]
$15,000,000 [ 4 ]  [4.08%]
$25,000,000 [ 5 ]  [5.10%]
$50,000,000 [ 6 ]  [6.12%]
$100,000,000 [ 6 ]  [6.12%]
Never! I will always work! [ 14 ]  [14.29%]
Never! Managing my investments is my new job! [ 10 ]  [10.20%]
Any amount because I never want to work again! [ 7 ]  [7.14%]
Total Valid Votes [ 98 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #59167
March 8, 2008
174 Posts
Posted: May 24, 2008, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I have seen Sicko and while I totally agree that our healthcare system is a huge mess thinking our corrupt, incompetent government could fix it is unrealistic. Plus since it's made by Michael Moore I know that certain things have to be taken with a grain of salt, such as his visits to other countries and his story of their healthcare systems, Hillary's absurd healthcare plan in the early 90s was spun to make it look like those evil Republicans are the reason it failed, ignoring that at the time Democrats were still the majority or just how much of a overall mess it was coming in at over 1,000 pages. But the overall message of how screwed up things are in the U.S. I understand pretty well, I'm lucky I haven't had any health issues (at least noticable ones) seeing as I haven't personally been to a doctor in almost ten years and I probably could get Medicaid, I hate the idea of having to depend on the government.

True reform unfortunately is not going to happen here in the foreseeable future due to insurance and pharmaceutical companies pretty much owning Washington DC along with many other industries that work for the best interest of their employers. Until their influence is done away with and Americans put the fear back into government (another things I agree with in the movie), things will probably get worse.

Did you notice, right after the movie was completed, he checked into a LA hospital, I think SInia, for a physical. He was having trouble breathing. Don't know why he didn't go back to Cuba - or stay there.  Hollywood is full speech makers, they make a living out of lying.  They don't change when the makeup comes off.

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
    Bayonne
    United States
    Member #61147
    May 13, 2008
    129 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2008, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I already submitted my answer but I wasn't properly thinking, I lowballed, big time .. so I thought specifically of the luxuries I would need and then calculated from that to see what is feasible for me to call it quits ..

a house in the posh section of jersey = $5,900,000 [yearly taxes, maintanance included for 50 years]

cars for me and immediate three family members = $350,000

continued education for said family members = $540,000 [books included cause the prices for one edition is ridiculous!]

one time donation to immediate three family members = $18,000,000 -- $6,000,000 each [they better stretch it]

food, vacations, spas, clothes, gas, anything I'd want for fun, misc = $5,500,000 @ $110,000 [yearly] x 50 years

future children, grandkids = $2,000,000

Swiss account = $1,400,000 [emergency money - don't touch]

Cayman account = $1,000,000 [emergency money - don't touch, maybe a for great-grand kids]

Other family members = $3,500,000

TOTAL = $36,190,000

-----------------------------

upon further review, i'll need the jackpot to break at LEAST $110Million - taking into consideration the governments fuzzy math, the irs' funny math, my attorney's fuzzy math and the cash option minus half of jackpot fuzzy figure to afford the above mentioned lifestyle.  So my new answer is $100,000,000!

Thumbs Up

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2008, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

Why so much to the three family members? Obviously I don't know them but giving them that amount seems rather dangerous. You should give it to them in an annuity! Jack-in-the-Box Plus the taxes would probably be murder on that.

You can't predict random.

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
        Bayonne
        United States
        Member #61147
        May 13, 2008
        129 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2008, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Why so much to the three family members? Obviously I don't know them but giving them that amount seems rather dangerous. You should give it to them in an annuity! Jack-in-the-Box Plus the taxes would probably be murder on that.

my pops, moms and bro .. they automatically get what i get so that's why so much and i wouldn't have it any other way!

it's a gift, not sure about the tax part, they can have one of my bank cards and remove it that way [i mean, the government/irs is already getting their cut so they should leave me alone] and no annuity, don't believe in it and won't subject them to that - they're grown, they can do what they want with it .. Group Hug

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2008, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I've quit jobs for much much less! I once got a bonus of $5,000 and i was like 'sayonara suckers!' lived on that for a good seven months ... then back to looking for jobs! so basically, if you flash a couple of benjamins in my face, i can't promise you that i'm not quiting tomorrow - i'm more of that 'live for today for tomorrow you may be audited', type of chic

Hippy

I don't know how old you are, but after working for a long time, I developed the same type of attitude, although today $5,000 wouldn't get me very far unless I bought a tent.   Anyway, as I got older, I simply didn't have the energy or strength to work at jobs that required anything physical.  You never expect to get sick or hurt where you can't lift or run around on your feet all day, and suddenly your options are limited.  Then, during bad economic times, there might not be any jobs at all.  However, I totally know what you mean and have met plenty of people who have that "live for today" attitude.

But here's where someone can get into trouble.  Unless a person wins enough to live on for a lifetime, without working and paying taxes, he/she isn't contributing to social security or investing in a retirement plan.  Not that I support paying taxes at all with our current system, but I've known quite a few people who are 70-something, get Medicare and a social security check every month, but still can't get by, not just because of inflation & the high cost of living, but because as long as they had food & shelter, they never planned for the future, worked now & then when they needed the money, or got paid "under the table."  I've been called a fascist because I often say "Heck, if I'm going to work 2 jobs for 40 years, I ain't supporting the free spirits who had fun and goofed off."  If that makes me a fascist, then I guess they're right.  But then Todd will have to stop calling me a Liberal.  LOL   (I am losing my political identity.) 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5143 Posts
            Posted: June 20, 2008, 5:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how old you are, but after working for a long time, I developed the same type of attitude, although today $5,000 wouldn't get me very far unless I bought a tent.   Anyway, as I got older, I simply didn't have the energy or strength to work at jobs that required anything physical.  You never expect to get sick or hurt where you can't lift or run around on your feet all day, and suddenly your options are limited.  Then, during bad economic times, there might not be any jobs at all.  However, I totally know what you mean and have met plenty of people who have that "live for today" attitude.

But here's where someone can get into trouble.  Unless a person wins enough to live on for a lifetime, without working and paying taxes, he/she isn't contributing to social security or investing in a retirement plan.  Not that I support paying taxes at all with our current system, but I've known quite a few people who are 70-something, get Medicare and a social security check every month, but still can't get by, not just because of inflation & the high cost of living, but because as long as they had food & shelter, they never planned for the future, worked now & then when they needed the money, or got paid "under the table."  I've been called a fascist because I often say "Heck, if I'm going to work 2 jobs for 40 years, I ain't supporting the free spirits who had fun and goofed off."  If that makes me a fascist, then I guess they're right.  But then Todd will have to stop calling me a Liberal.  LOL   (I am losing my political identity.) 

I Agree!>>>>>WITH U>>>>>JXP:

No matter how young R old UR in this win or loss for LIFE>>>>>>>>>>>>

IT an't getting any EAS-Z for ANYONE I know and the G@@D DAY'sssss>>>

of "WINE & ROSE'ssssssssssssssss MAY be "OVER" for the MIDDLE CLASS?

PEOPLE in MEXICO and PEOPLE from all the POOR countrie's move to USA!!

NOW that we have ALL of these (sick), (poor people) to CARE & REPAIR>>

WHAT can U or D other's (old & young)................?????????????? "DO" ????

BUT, and there is alway's a BUTT out DARE........."SOMEWHERE">>>   ?????

MY SOLUTION:

DRILL, DRILL, DRILL,................DID PSYKO say DRILL for all the OIL>>>>>>

we CAN GET >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and GIVE the MIDDLE CLASS a DAM BREAK & share oil royalitie's WITH>

the MIDDLE CLASS >>DON't KEEP SCREWING our a$$eto!o?

LOL getting the DEM'sssssssssss to pass the PSYKO a$$et's <<<<<BILL??

PSYKOMO

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: June 20, 2008, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Psykomo, maybe when I hear "drill, drill, drill" I get upset because I spent half my life in a dentist chair.    Yes Nod

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5143 Posts
                Posted: June 20, 2008, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Psykomo, maybe when I hear "drill, drill, drill" I get upset because I spent half my life in a dentist chair.    Yes Nod

THANK' JXP:

I must addmitt UR so smart & psyko is so STUPID>>>>>>>complainment U

THANK's 2 all my POST & all my screw-UP's on the LOTTERY POST, I SUGKA!

THANK's 2 ALL who defend the "SUGKAI".............................in the USA!!!!!!!

PSYKOMO

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5143 Posts
                  Posted: June 20, 2008, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Piaceri:

Had to vote Discard my Vote<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

PSYKO has FUN >>>>>>>>>Drum^^^^^^^^^^DrumJester Laugh

How Can "U" QUIT (that)??

LOL

PSYKOMO

PSYKO like's to PLAY:

BUTT, why is everyone ??????????????????????????????????????????

AGAINST someone WHO want'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to WIN A "JACKPOT"

LOL

PSYKOMO