Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Im Going Green When I Hit Powerball

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 9 years ago by pumpi76.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Pittsburgh, PA
United States
Member #58600
February 21, 2008
43 Posts
Posted: May 3, 2008, 3:38 am - IP Logged

I'm sick of rising energy costs so I'm going totally green and building a nice house with solar energy, wind energy, wood burners, fireplaces, energy star appliances & windows, isonene foam insulation, etc.  On top of that Im getting myself an electric car. 

Whats Big Oil gonna do when we actually start to put a true effort into developing electric and other types of cars that don't use oil?  HATE HATE HATE OIL.  This economy is also killing my future interest earnings.  LOL @ 2.5% money market accounts. 

:end rant

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
    Kunming
    China
    Member #57910
    January 23, 2008
    3626 Posts
    Posted: May 3, 2008, 3:45 am - IP Logged

I'm sick of rising energy costs so I'm going totally green and building a nice house with solar energy, wind energy, wood burners, fireplaces, energy star appliances & windows, isonene foam insulation, etc.  On top of that Im getting myself an electric car. 

Whats Big Oil gonna do when we actually start to put a true effort into developing electric and other types of cars that don't use oil?  HATE HATE HATE OIL.  This economy is also killing my future interest earnings.  LOL @ 2.5% money market accounts. 

So am I. I'll be having  a lot of GREEN BENJAMINS.

Green laugh

Play to win!

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: May 3, 2008, 9:16 am - IP Logged

Your hate for big oil and energy companies must be really strong to want to spend that much money. You won't break even with for many years even with rising energy cost and will still need to rely on the power company when the sun isn't shining and/or the wind isn't blowing, even if you have back up batteries to store power or sell it back to the power company.. Electric car might be good if it's decently priced and you can get more 200 miles or more out of a full charge. I was reading about a newer car that I think can get 250 miles on a charge and takes only ten minutes to fully recharge, that'd be good for local drives. Hopefully they'll get it to where you can just plug into a regular outlet. Maybe it'd help if they added a solar panel or two on the roof of the car. A few years from now solar panels should be much more efficient and much cheaper as well.

You can't predict random.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
        Member #4121
        March 23, 2004
        817 Posts
        Posted: May 3, 2008, 9:43 am - IP Logged

You don't have to worry any more if you hit today's $179 million powerball jackpot!

I got an idea. Buy $179 million in oil  and corner the market.  Sell it for $10 - $20 per gallion.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23259 Posts
          Posted: May 3, 2008, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Everyone always thinks of "oil" as just the thing that goes in the gas tank and in their car's engine.

The thing that most people don't realize is that oil is an essential ingredient in almost everything they own, from their clothing to every piece of plastic to .... well, everything.  If you took oil out of the equation, you would have almost nothing.

I'm not trying to say that it's a bad goal of replacing gas-burning car engines; in fact I think it's a really good goal that I hope we achieve one day.  I just think the emotion is more useful if directed toward the true culprits who have put us in this awful situation:  the US Congress, which has failed to pass any meaningful, realistic legislation that would give us energy independence, while moving us away from oil-based transportation. 

These bio-fuels are not the answer.  Too bad we haven't taken all the wasted dollars in bio-fuels and put them into research on advanced battery and hydrogen technologies. 

THAT is where we as a species can truly be "green".  When we can efficiently store our energy for long periods of time and the only waste product is water.  Not just in cars, but in every technology we possess.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

DC81's avatar - batman39
            MI
            United States
            Member #54830
            August 31, 2007
            985 Posts
            Posted: May 3, 2008, 10:41 am - IP Logged

But then that would mean we'd have a competent/smart, efficent government with no special interest buying politicans that are supposed to serve the people! We can't have that now can we? Big Smile That is true, oil is used in so many things that it'll almost never be totally free of it as recycling and synthetics can only go so far, but we can only greatly lessen the reliance of it as a energy source. Biofuels such as corn based ethanol are an epic failure but unfortunately the government doesn't seem interested in doing the right thing when it comes to do away with the subsidies for it.

Pogo's avatar - wfl
              NC
              United States
              Member #29378
              January 1, 2006
              552 Posts
              Posted: May 3, 2008, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

I have to agree with Todd on this one... Our real problem is Congress will never approve to change anything, because they are the folks that own the majority stake in the oil companies - Why would they vote against their own companies they otherwise have a vested interest in? - Pogo

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23259 Posts
                Posted: May 3, 2008, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I have to agree with Todd on this one... Our real problem is Congress will never approve to change anything, because they are the folks that own the majority stake in the oil companies - Why would they vote against their own companies they otherwise have a vested interest in? - Pogo

That's right!  It would sicken everyone to know exactly how much individual Senators and Representatives have made on their ever-increasing oil stocks — which are going through the roof right now, based on the crazy oil prices.

Remember that Hillary Clinton story from years ago, in which she supposedly made $100,000 on a $1,000 cattle futures investment?  Well, all those Senators and Representatives owning oil stocks (which is most of them) are getting that same kind of profit right now, and they are getting it every time you fill up the tank.

Did you know that the oil companies — the ones who invest the money in prospecting new sites, and who create the enormously expensive infrastructure to do the drilling, refining, and transportation of the product — make about 8 cents per gallon of gas sold, while the US government — which does nothing in the whole process — gets about 28 cents per gallon of gas sold?

While I am no apologist for oil companies (I actually believe there needs to be some additional regulation there because of how essential oil is to the economy), when it comes to oil, the government's involvement — and hypocracy — is just plain sickening. 

The government drives up the price, adds nothing to the process, does nothing useful to come up with alternatives, and are each individually making fortunes from their own investments in oil stocks, while hypocritically telling all of us how bad the oil companies are.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10344 Posts
                  Posted: May 3, 2008, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Destined,

We all are tired of rising fuel costs, but I would think a Powerball jackpot would make them seem not so "intense", let's say.

Regarding cars, EMT'shave reported getting shocked pulling people out of hybrids, and not being able to getthem put right away because the car is still "charged".

Back in the 1970's, someone had the idea of building office buildings with one lightswitch per floor- and then had to hire people to screwlight bulbs in and out, one by one, as they were needed.

In fact, a NY lottery jackpot winner was known as "Louey the Lightbulb" as that was his job.

I'd love to see the day we have an alternative fuel and can tell OPEC to buzz off.

Just be aware that we will never go completely solar until the powers-that-be can deal with the fact that nobody "owns" the sun.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                    MI
                    United States
                    Member #54830
                    August 31, 2007
                    985 Posts
                    Posted: May 3, 2008, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

That's right!  It would sicken everyone to know exactly how much individual Senators and Representatives have made on their ever-increasing oil stocks — which are going through the roof right now, based on the crazy oil prices.

Remember that Hillary Clinton story from years ago, in which she supposedly made $100,000 on a $1,000 cattle futures investment?  Well, all those Senators and Representatives owning oil stocks (which is most of them) are getting that same kind of profit right now, and they are getting it every time you fill up the tank.

Did you know that the oil companies — the ones who invest the money in prospecting new sites, and who create the enormously expensive infrastructure to do the drilling, refining, and transportation of the product — make about 8 cents per gallon of gas sold, while the US government — which does nothing in the whole process — gets about 28 cents per gallon of gas sold?

While I am no apologist for oil companies (I actually believe there needs to be some additional regulation there because of how essential oil is to the economy), when it comes to oil, the government's involvement — and hypocracy — is just plain sickening. 

The government drives up the price, adds nothing to the process, does nothing useful to come up with alternatives, and are each individually making fortunes from their own investments in oil stocks, while hypocritically telling all of us how bad the oil companies are.

Yup, and that doesn't even factor in the state taxes does it?

Our government is in need of an enema on all levels from the Federal down.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #56506
                      November 21, 2007
                      6537 Posts
                      Posted: May 3, 2008, 4:38 pm - IP Logged

If someone wins the Powerball jackpot tonight, they won't really have to worry about the rising cost of anything. LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: May 3, 2008, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

So do i but on my car...I am going green on my car, the only problem is that they are not many gas stations where you can fill up for a green car or you can charge up your green car...

They don't even have mechanics where you can take your green car and get it fix...And if they do is only one of them and you have to worry that he don't go broke...What a big disadvantage...

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: May 3, 2008, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I'll bet a buck that most of the tree huggers aren't hurting enough to  let us build more refineries. I can't say for sure but the artsy fartsy ilk of the tree huggin kind tells me they're relatively well off, and a buck increase in a gallon of gas won't hurt them one bit. I could be wrong, but I have a good feeling about that one.

It's not the lack of oil, but the means to refine enough for the demand. I can't believe that with so much unused space in America, endless wastelands where no one would dream to live in, we can't build refineries. The "sticks out like a sore thumb" theory has been solved yet still opposed. HMMMmm.

Al Gore with his tail between his legs started to build a green house all of a sudden...lOL

There is about a trillion barrels of oil still beneath the crust, so business undone. The oil moguls aren't going to let that slip by. And anyone who gets in their way with a device that will increase mileage or use a whole different source will either get paid off to shut the F up or admire the bottom a very murky lake.

Don't believe me? Go on youtube and punch in Stan myer in the search  box. He was found poisoned in his home. He created an add on to the engine which turns H20 into HH0, and gives the car about 40 percent more mileage. And the exhaust is water. He also had a dune buggy that totally ran on water.

So many conspiracies, so little time...lol

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                            San Jose, California
                            United States
                            Member #42003
                            June 26, 2006
                            206 Posts
                            Posted: May 3, 2008, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

I stay home more when gasoline price hits above $4.00. Even Cinco De Mayo rides in my town decrease tremendously.

I wish cities in the United States could be more like Ansterdam, where people are using public transportation and biking a lot. This life style improves human being health while it also reduces pollution and co2 emission.

I don't have to win lottery in order to live green. In a near future, I will buy a hybrid car when I graduate and have a stable job. Recently, I stay home most of the time. Therefore, my carbon footprint is low now.Big Smile

Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23259 Posts
                              Posted: May 4, 2008, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I stay home more when gasoline price hits above $4.00. Even Cinco De Mayo rides in my town decrease tremendously.

I wish cities in the United States could be more like Ansterdam, where people are using public transportation and biking a lot. This life style improves human being health while it also reduces pollution and co2 emission.

I don't have to win lottery in order to live green. In a near future, I will buy a hybrid car when I graduate and have a stable job. Recently, I stay home most of the time. Therefore, my carbon footprint is low now.Big Smile

I was just in Portland (Oregon) last week, and that city is very much like what you're talking about.  Lots and lots of bike riders.  In fact, they even have bike riding lanes painted on the roads.  It actually felt a little dangerous, because you constantly have to look for both cars and bikes when you make a turn.