Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is there a "Lottery Ego?"

Topic closed. 59 replies. Last post 9 years ago by BUCK6.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Which describes the average Lottery player ego?

I'm smarter than the average bear [ 5 ]  [8.33%]
The Amazing Kreskin ain't got nothing on me [ 1 ]  [1.67%]
My numbers can beat up your numbers [ 7 ]  [11.67%]
I own these numbers and I rule the world [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
I'm just the average shmegeggie who wants to win [ 27 ]  [45.00%]
Life stinks and then you die [ 4 ]  [6.67%]
I only play because I'm a masochist [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
I gave up drinking, smoking & sex. What's left? [ 7 ]  [11.67%]
I've got no ego, my ex got that too [ 3 ]  [5.00%]
Other [ 2 ]  [3.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 60 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2008, 5:16 am - IP Logged

On occasion I do play quick picks if it's getting close to the cut off time and I know I don't have the time to go home and get some numbers from my program. Even though I would prefer that my jackpot win come from my system, I'll take it either way really. Even if I win with my system, I know there was still some luck involved, but had I not used my system, I probably wouldn't have won. After all, if you're lucky enough to win the lottery, you're pretty damn lucky considering the fact they're are millions of possible combinations that can come up.

I don't think I'm going to expose my system in it's entirety to the public, however, once I do have my first jackpot win under my belt, I do plan on converting it to use for other games' matrices. I'll start posting numbers for those games, and that will definitely be the time for others who can play that game to play those numbers because they might miss out on a pretty big win if they don't. Of course, I'll have to debate which of the lucky members here will have my system converted for a game in their state first. Again, I won't post the actual system, but I will generate numbers from it and post the numbers. My program right now is over 7000 lines of code, so trust me, whichever state I make my system for next will be a pretty lucky state. That's later though. Right now, it's my turn to win.Razz

It would be quite a feat to explain 7,000 (or 70, for that matter) lines of code in a place where heated discussions erupt over whether or not one's chances are improved by a factor of ten when buying 20 tickets vs. buying 2 tickets. Thud

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
    Member #28409
    December 15, 2005
    1198 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2008, 7:57 am - IP Logged

you forgot to add "lucky" as a factor.  Some just think they are lucky enough to pull it off. 

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
      mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5906 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2008, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

A computer program WILL NEVER WORK..I am telling you straight up it will never work..you can not account for all the variables you see and all the ones you cant see..and then there is that little known fact of PRETESTING..HOW can a computer program account for that..it cant?..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
        Member #9517
        December 10, 2004
        1279 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2008, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

A computer program WILL NEVER WORK..I am telling you straight up it will never work..you can not account for all the variables you see and all the ones you cant see..and then there is that little known fact of PRETESTING..HOW can a computer program account for that..it cant?..

Agree. There's too many random variables to expect anything more than two or three numbers correct (at best) using a computer. A computer can only pick up trends and find non random factors in the draws, but these draws will almost always be 99% random.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5143 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2008, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

People here sometimes boast about their systems, others predict winners and brag when they get a couple of numbers and a few seem to be lost in space. 

So is there a Lottery personality or ego that separates us from the rest of the world?

Voted>>>>>>>>>>OTHER>>>>>>>>>>>>on this: WON>>>>>>!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JXP!!!!

No won "LISTEN'$"<<<<<< 2 PSYKOMO

LOL

PSYKOMO

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2008, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

you forgot to add "lucky" as a factor.  Some just think they are lucky enough to pull it off. 

You're right.  There are people who seem to be luckier than others.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19897 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2008, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

Agree. There's too many random variables to expect anything more than two or three numbers correct (at best) using a computer. A computer can only pick up trends and find non random factors in the draws, but these draws will almost always be 99% random.

I believe 100% of lottery drawings that use ping pong balls are random.  However lottery software can show factors that are common to most drawings.

For example, in MegaMillions, 70% of the winning numbers have hit 7-12 times during the previous 100 drawings. Had players used those figures to pick their numbers to play, they would have reduced their number pool from 56 to 32-47 and would have had all five winning numbers in that group 48 of the last 213 times.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5587 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2008, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

I believe 100% of lottery drawings that use ping pong balls are random.  However lottery software can show factors that are common to most drawings.

For example, in MegaMillions, 70% of the winning numbers have hit 7-12 times during the previous 100 drawings. Had players used those figures to pick their numbers to play, they would have reduced their number pool from 56 to 32-47 and would have had all five winning numbers in that group 48 of the last 213 times.

I agree RJ. 

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2008, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

The trend is your friend.

If someone requires a hit ratio of 99% to make a profit, their method could use a bit more refinement.

In my p-5 game, the "random variables" are all conveniently numbered. Clown

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5143 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2008, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

If someone requires a hit ratio of 99% to make a profit, their method could use a bit more refinement.

THANK's:

PYKOMO win's $$$$$$$$$$,,,,,,,,,,,,,,4674,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TIME's>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!

PSYKO    win's $$$$$$$$$$..............2544...............(less than 1/2<<<<????

GO FIGURE >>>>>>>>>>>...............GO PLAY & tell (over 5-YEAR's)!!!!!!!!??

LOL

PSYKOMO

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #1340
                      April 6, 2003
                      2450 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2008, 5:59 am - IP Logged

You don't need to account for EVERY variable or pre (and post) draws. ANY system, be it pencil/paper or elaborate 25,000 line opus in C++ is at best a coincidental tool.

It works, that's coincidence.... it doesn't work, also coincidence.

In all honesty, it doesn't matter HOW a system works as long as it gives good numbers. My current system uses the previous draws as a source of randomness... so far no happy coincidences amounting to any $$$

that's why I like the jackpot games, ANY system only needs to work once :-)

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19897 Posts
                        Posted: June 26, 2008, 10:07 am - IP Logged

A computer program is not magical, it's a set of instructions written by someone.  It will execute only those instructions and nothing more.  A player using a program that he didn't write and doesn't understand may imagines it is doing more but it's not.   

Evil Looking       

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #48725
                          January 7, 2007
                          1958 Posts
                          Posted: June 26, 2008, 10:12 am - IP Logged

I don't flaunt my system as being some all mighty system that can predict the winning set 100% of the time each and every single draw. If such a system existed, the person would only need to play a single set of numbers per drawing; the winning set. The reason systems don't "work" isn't necessarily because they do not give the player an edge. Some systems actually do work, but because of the sheer numbers involved, the wanted results STILL do not happen.

See, odds of 1 in 5 aren't really that good for a person, much less 1 in 12,271,512. The system might be doing its job just the way it was designed, but there still remains a lot of other combinations. I still rely on luck when I play despite the fact I have a system that gives me an edge.

Also, even with pretesting, the official numbers still apply to the variables in question when compared to the previous official numbers. It's random, and the system(mine does anyway) takes random into consideration, so it still works. The reason you think pretesting throws off a system is because you're trying to apply restrictions on random, which you can't do.

Gonna win.Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2008, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

A friend recently said that to me ("trend is your friend") but I'd still have to play a lot of numbers that follow it. One week just about every draw in FL  had 3 consecutive numbers.  Coincidence or trend?   I also see 21 and 31 in the same combination quite a bit.  That said, I wonder if it's because I notice certain numbers or combinations more (like 9-11 for example) because of their meaning.    

BTW (this is for Coin Toss) not to go too far off-topic, but the winner of the $12M Florida Lotto did not buy a QP if the press release is correct.  There were also 3 winners of Fantasy 5 last night and none of them were QPs.  The winner on Tues who won the whole Fantasy 5 jackpot didn't use a QP either.  I do agree that QPs have just as much chance of winning, but it looks as if self-picks win frequently.

This is for Todd - the Lottery uses a service to post the results, right?  So is the information regarding QPs or Self Picks always correct?  The reason I ask is that I've seen a lot of mistakes.  Once, for example, they announced a winner in Coral Cables and it said (Lee County) next to it. I wrote to the lottery and asked if the winner was in Cape Coral which is in Lee County or Coral Cables which is in Miami-Dade.  Or maybe it was Coral Springs which I believe is in Broward.  LOL   No answer, but they fixed it.  I also sent a brief email when they announced a winner took a lump sum of $344,000 from an $800,000 MegaMoney jackpot.  I was concerned the payouts were lower.  Again, they didn't answer me, but in a few days the same announcement read "$500,000 MM jackpot" which makes more sense.  So my question is, when they post the locations and then "Quick Pick" or "Free Play" on the same line, is that automatic?  If so, then the past 4 winners of Fantasy 5 haven't played QPs and the big Lotto winner didn't either.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19897 Posts
                              Posted: June 26, 2008, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

My signature is "what happens most is most likely to happen again" and that is the idea behind my system. 

Obviously my system doesn't look at winning numbers as a group because groups of winning numbers seldom appear together more than once during the life of the game even when the number pool is quite small as with West Virgina Cash25 (6/25) with only 177K possible combinations.  Groups of numbers do however share characteristics more than not many times and it's those shared characteristics or "trends" that I evaluate hoping to find one or two that might give me an edge when picking numbers to play.  When I reduce the number pool by half, I'm still looking at a lot of possible combinations.  If the winning combination is among them then the system has worked, its job was to reduce the size of the playing field, not predicting the winning combination.

Evil Looking