Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you tip your cashier when you win?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 8 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31535 Posts
Posted: June 27, 2008, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

I do...

Ditto.

love to nibble those micey feet.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: June 27, 2008, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

I prefer to tip them when I win big, but I would not if they made me feel obligated or asked for it....that is very rude indeed.  And I don't appreciate a clerk who acts like they had something to do with my win either.  They neither picked my numbers nor graced me with anything leading to my decisions...My tip would simply be because I liked them or something.  I like the clerks who smile and don't act like their face is gonna fall apart because they had to do their job.

I agree. If someone demanded that I give them something. The only thing they would get from me is a mouthful of words. I would tip those who I feel been friendly too me. Not those who think that just because the pump out tickets, mean they automatically deserve something.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: June 27, 2008, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

I don't know about your state lottery. Here in Maryland retailers who dispense lottery tickets are doing a service for the lottery basically for free acting as an agent for the lottery. They get a small commission for selling and cashing tickets. On a daily basis no where near enough money to pay for one machine operator day salary let alone a weeks salary.

The benefits of running a lottery machine is the draw you get from customers coming in to buy other purchases. The lottery doesn't pay the cashiers salary they are paid by their employer many of whom are required to preform other duties while at work.

Retailers are doing a service for the lottery. The lottery is making out like a fat rat doing business this way. Since retailers are acting as a go between. And the lottery doesn't have to pay cashiers they are reigning in huge profits. 

I'm pretty sure it's done the same way in other states.

I don't see any reason you should tip cashiers you don't know. However cashiers who dispense your tickets regularly and you know that person and you like that person and they handle your daily lottery ticket purchases, give you the correct numbers you ask for etc then if you feel like it go ahead and tip them a small amount once in a while.

How The Maryland Lottery Benefits Retailers
      Increased Profits

Enjoy 5.5% commission on sales and an additional 3% commission for cashing. In Fiscal Year 2007, total Maryland Lottery sales were $1.577billion with total commissions paid to Maryland Lottery retailers at more than $112 million.

Increased Traffic Flow
      Add a popular attraction, like the Lottery, to your establishment you will add more profit to your business.

Competitive Advantage
      Offer your customers a product that is not offered by all retailers. Provide your customers with another reason to visit your establishment.

User-Friendly Equipment
      Technical support provided 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week, 365 days-a-year.
      Reliable routine maintenance of equipment and delivery of supplies.

Rapid processing of tickets, which means quick and efficient service for your customers.

The Best Part Of All - - - It's At No Cost To You!!!!
      Free installation of lottery equipment
      Free attractive point-of-sale materials and advertising support

Free training for all of your employees

If cashing lottery tickets is part of their job description someone is paying them.If they work for mimimum wage,thats not my fault.I don't tip anyone that is paid by someone else to perform a service,whether it is waiting tables,driving a cab or cashing lottery tickets.Once you start tipping people they think that everyone should do the same.

Talking Rock, GA
        United States
        Member #60369
        April 15, 2008
        398 Posts
        Posted: June 27, 2008, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I don't tip the cashier.  However, I'll be honest with ya.......I honestly don't know, when it comes to tipping, what I'd do if I ever hit a massive winner (e.g. 5 or 6 digits).  I might go back and buy that guy or gal a nice dinner (and I'm not talking about McDonalds, either Razz) or something (well, give them the money for such a dinner, anyway).

(FYI, the only people I usually tip are waiters/waitresses and pizza delivery guys.)

A Gold account on Lottery Post:  $4.95

A Millionaire Jumbo Bucks scratcher:  $20

Airfare and hotel in March 2007 to see The Price Is Right before Bob Barker retired:  $600-something

Winning something to get a trip to a district office:  Priceless Big Grin

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
          McKinney/Texas
          United States
          Member #47363
          November 1, 2006
          706 Posts
          Posted: June 27, 2008, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

really?  why can they get fired?

I was told by the store manager that he could be fired for accepting money from a customer. He asked me to give it to him outside the store or place it in something. So that's what I do.

Ephesians 3:20

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
            Magnolia, Delaware
            United States
            Member #18795
            July 20, 2005
            789 Posts
            Posted: June 27, 2008, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

I never tip anyone for doing the job that pays their salary.

I Agree!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
              Member #62234
              June 21, 2008
              37 Posts
              Posted: June 27, 2008, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Never tip....I dont get a tip when I do landscape..lucky these days if you get paid on time,without an argument on overcharging.....I f I hit powerball i might tip,but probably not because the store gets press,etc.......NEVER

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8392 Posts
                Posted: June 27, 2008, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Tipping someone that does a service for you is etiquette. It's your prerogative whether to tip or not.

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                  Portland,Oregon
                  United States
                  Member #14387
                  April 25, 2005
                  229 Posts
                  Posted: June 28, 2008, 1:10 am - IP Logged

I don't tip the clerks directly ... but the store where I usually buy my tickets has donation containers at every register and the money goes into a fund to help any store employee who has a financial, family, or medical emergency.  So when I have a win of more than a couple of bucks, I put 10% of my win into the container at the bakery (which is where the lottery tickets are checked and winners paid out)  I like all the ladies of the bakery so I make sure the one helping me sees me do it so they know I appreciate their kindness.  When I win a really big jackpot though I'll probably go to the store and give each of those nice folks a bit of the jackpot    

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

DC81's avatar - batman39
                    MI
                    United States
                    Member #54830
                    August 31, 2007
                    985 Posts
                    Posted: June 28, 2008, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Tipping a waiter/waitress (especially a good one) is one thing but someone at a store is another.

I doubt many stores really pay minimum wage unless maybe it's a small mom and pop place but even still most businesses pay more since they can't attract employees at our crappy minimum wage, even places that allow tips.

You can't predict random.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5143 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2008, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

YES,>>>>>>I DO if it is OVER $100.00>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT,...............most people just TIP out the door>>>>ASAP>>>>>>>>>>

BUTT, PSYKO won over $500.00 last winter and I tripped on the curb and

fell down and the wind BLEW over $100.00 in $20 bill's accross the darn

park'g lot and me and a few NICE PEOPLE had to CHASE the MONY again!

LOL

PSYKOMO            PukeCryingPukePartyParty

Sandra Dee's avatar - dandy
                        Bayonne
                        United States
                        Member #61147
                        May 13, 2008
                        129 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2008, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

YES,>>>>>>I DO if it is OVER $100.00>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT,...............most people just TIP out the door>>>>ASAP>>>>>>>>>>

BUTT, PSYKO won over $500.00 last winter and I tripped on the curb and

fell down and the wind BLEW over $100.00 in $20 bill's accross the darn

park'g lot and me and a few NICE PEOPLE had to CHASE the MONY again!

LOL

PSYKOMO            PukeCryingPukePartyParty

Green laughonly you! that's too funny and seems like this could be an everyday occurrence for you! too funny! - as for the tipping, i just asked two of my local clerks and they said 'i wish' but 'no, don't tip it's illegal' so there .. tipping is illegal .. but you can frequently patronize their store as a way of saying 'thanks, i got you' .. but for a clerk to DEMAND - ha! i wish they had tried that on me as i would have given them the 'you're harassing customers, i'm going to call the lottery bureau' speech

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          919 Posts
                          Posted: July 1, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

Not just NO, but Hell NAW would I tip a clerk...even if the clerk said they think a "pick your number" will be the Mega Ball/Powerball and I take their advice and mark that and end up winning the jackpot.  Why tip them?  Hell I like states like OK where you can purchase your Powerball ticket from a machine...when you do that, no need to even feel guilty about not tipping anybody as I know the machine can't talk!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                            Washington State
                            United States
                            Member #33973
                            February 26, 2006
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: July 1, 2008, 6:50 pm - IP Logged

I don't know if such is still the case, but years ago when I went to Tahiti, any tipping at all was illegal.  We loved it!  I wish such were the case here.

I've never won enough to warrant even considering a tip, but no, I wouldn't tip a cashier who put my card through a machine.  Like justexploring, most of the time I don't remember which clerk sold me the ticket anyway.  Heck, I'm lucky to remember which store I bought the ticket at!

The last time I bought a MM ticket, the clerk said, "If you win the big one, I'll take my car in black."  I think he was just joking, but the very thought of someone expecting a tip for putting a card through a machine irritates me.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1958 Posts
                              Posted: July 1, 2008, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

Nope. It's part of their job.

Gonna win.Big Smile