Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you tip your cashier when you win?

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 8 years ago by TheGameGrl.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
DC81's avatar - batman39
MI
United States
Member #54830
August 31, 2007
985 Posts
Posted: July 4, 2008, 10:44 am - IP Logged

No, we're just not completely stupid and want to remain at least somewhat anonymous. The store they work at is already going to get a $50,000+ bonus for selling it, the owner/manager should be "tipping" their employees with it.

You can't predict random.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
    Norfolk , Va
    United States
    Member #4541
    May 2, 2004
    25098 Posts
    Posted: July 4, 2008, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

I like that link Four4me.
    I travel alot and I don't mind tipping people but it looks like I tip too much. As far as a store clerk goes , I don't tip them because they have only inserted a play slip in a machine and gave me the tickets. They didn't help me choose any numbers nor did they pay for any of them. I don't play the same numbers in pick 3 so they are more than welcome to play off of my slip when I leave it or ask if the would throw it away.  One store clerk seen I had a 500 dollars winner when I presented my winning ticket and asked where her tip was. I couldn't believe it.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
      Member #47420
      November 4, 2006
      3930 Posts
      Posted: July 4, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I had the same thing happen to me Blackie..They have a lot of nerve asking for money..I will tip when I hit a big jackpot except to the one who asked for money..

United States
        Member #58528
        February 18, 2008
        710 Posts
        Posted: July 4, 2008, 2:37 pm - IP Logged

Not tipping people who draw a paycheck for their work is neither cheap nor meanspirited.I work hard for my money and don't give it away to people just because their bosses refuse to pay them enough for their work.Their gripe is not with me because I don't tip,its with their boss for not paying them what they think they deserve.

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: July 4, 2008, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

praying4amiracle..Next time I cash a ticket I'll leave a dollar in your name..If I see a ticket on a counter with a future date on it I pay for it and just don't take it..

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
            Nova Scotia
            Canada
            Member #9934
            December 27, 2004
            884 Posts
            Posted: July 4, 2008, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't tip the cashier for selling me a ticket, they are paid by the manager of the store to sell tickets and anything else. If I happened to win a large prize the lottery corporation not myself, would give them a seller's fee as stated in the lottery corporation information for selling the winning ticket,.

Also, any clerk that looks for a tip from you, is breaking the rules of the store.. The clerks are dishonest and greedy to look for any money from customers..

I would shop at another store, there are plenty of them around. Go  where they will treat you with courtesy and respect!Thumbs Up

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: July 4, 2008, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

"That's Just The Type of Person That I've Grown To Be"

You just contradicted yourself, simply by typing that sentence!

Dr Lottery's avatar - 10847
                Albany,Georgia
                United States
                Member #45615
                August 24, 2006
                2135 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2008, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I use to tip them but they are so rude !! they don't want to half A_ _ wait on you so why should I tip them when I win . So I quit tipping !! because of there poor service and attitude !!!

One day I will Hit BIG!!

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2008, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

tiggs hopes you have learned something today..:)

pittsfield
                    United States
                    Member #62951
                    July 14, 2008
                    3 Posts
                    Posted: July 14, 2008, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I work at a convenience store and while it's cool when someone gives ya a 10 or something when they win on scratchers, I don't expect it at all and would *never* do like the guy in the OP and ask for it.  Especially since I see how many losing tickets the people go through to get a winner I know in the long run they are probably only breaking even at the most.  I'm already getting paid, my job is pretty damn easy and like alot of people said, I'm only ripping off tickets or feeding them into the lotto machine.  No heavy lifting involved lol.

Little rant here:

The one guy who said he never tips anybody, waitstaff included, is just rude though.  Most waiters/waitresses only get paid like $2.50-$3/hr and pretty much depend on getting tips as their main income.  Should that system get changed?  Maybe.  Only thing is if restaurants have to give their waitstaff $5/hr raises, your food is going to cost alot more even though you don't have to give a tip anymore.  Either way, you pay their salaries, leave it on the table or add it to the bill and have the company put it on the waitstaffs' checks.  No reason to pride yourself on being a dick and not tipping the people who are supposed to be tipped though.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: July 14, 2008, 2:18 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post, Vincent! 

longisldchinese's avatar - beargoogle

Bahamas
                        Member #60184
                        April 8, 2008
                        1289 Posts
                        Posted: July 27, 2008, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post, Vincent! 

Sometimes, I do, sometimes I don't.  Its according to the way the cashier makes me feel.... Some are very disgusting sometimes.... THey act as if theyre doing someone a favor , so deffinately thats a No tip!

Some again are so encouraging....and throw a number out to you sometimes, or Best of Luck girl!!!!!!!!!  Well in that case, maybe a 20 or 30 bucks they would get from me!

Southwest Florida
                          United States
                          Member #56183
                          November 6, 2007
                          75 Posts
                          Posted: July 28, 2008, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

There are some really good points here!

I really haven't won much to speak of, but when I got 4/5 (which is minimal) a week or so ago, I flipped the clerk a buck and told him to buy himself a quick pick!Wink

Kennesaw, GA
                            United States
                            Member #62138
                            June 18, 2008
                            1413 Posts
                            Posted: July 28, 2008, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

Tip! TIP!!!, haha, where were they when i lost all the money at the store, and they want a part of my winnings, i think not.  No tipping here, not even if they say "hey pick this one" they are paid to get rid of tickets and the faster the better.  I will give them a tip, buy the ticket before i do and treat yourself, lol.  There is no reason to tip them and nor should they ask or feel obligated to get something.  So imagine that, a complete stranger wanting a share in your winnings, i can only imagine what family would do.  Thats why im not telling anyone at all. 

United States
                              Member #47420
                              November 4, 2006
                              3930 Posts
                              Posted: July 29, 2008, 11:08 am - IP Logged

A clerk at Korgers ask if I was going to share my winnings..I told her I'd take a picture of the Ky lottery headquarters and bring it back to her with the address so she could see what it looks like and know where it's at so when she hits a winner she will be all set..God I am so stingy at times..