Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning a big jackpot.

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 8 years ago by blackblue.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What would you sell (give away) first if you hit the big one?

Homes [ 10 ]  [16.13%]
Cars [ 10 ]  [16.13%]
Boats [ 1 ]  [1.61%]
Planes [ 1 ]  [1.61%]
Stocks [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Time Shares [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Real Estate [ 3 ]  [4.84%]
Furnishings, Etc., [ 14 ]  [22.58%]
"Everything" ASAP [ 13 ]  [20.97%]
Other, explained [ 10 ]  [16.13%]
Total Valid Votes [ 62 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
Member #60535
April 21, 2008
460 Posts
Posted: August 14, 2008, 10:43 am - IP Logged

I chose homes.  But I would give away my car and trucks too.  The things I would keep would be my computers, laptops and files, tv (it's awesome!), family heirlooms (guns, weapons, china, silver and such), my animals (I have four., 2 dogs and two cats.)  Also, all of my pictures of family members and photo albums.  There is this one oil painting of Jesus I would keep too.  I would give everything else to family members or donate them to churches.  I would have to finish paying off the two mortgages first, though.,  so I am saying these things only if I won a significant jackpot. 

I have thought of giving away my car.  but if you give it to someone who knows you are rich if they have an accident or break down in it the first thing they would do is sue you.  You really cannot help people in the day and age.  I think i would just trade it in on the purchase of a new vehicle.

Republic of Texas
    United States
    Member #57557
    January 9, 2008
    1095 Posts
    Posted: August 14, 2008, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

We spend a good part of our lives gathering stuff,  we become slaves to keeping this stuff.   Slaves, because in order to house and keep the "stuff" we must continually submit to the state and pay taxes year after year for the privilege to "own" this stuff.  If you think about it when you hit big,  they smack you for 33%!  OK, so then you have all this cash, you go out and start buying stuff (stimulating the economy and the ego),  well guess what?  Your tax liabilty just keeps getting bigger and bigger,  I think the best thing to do is just invest wisely and avoid getting trapped by "stuff".

What's the point of having gobs of money if you don't spend at least some of it in some sort of self gratifying way?  You can always invest in munis and t bills to reduce your tax liabilities.

The government is going to get you one way or another. Death and taxes - the only certain things in life, and the biggest certainty is they tax you to death, then tax you again for having the audacity to die before they get everything. Might as well go out happy than worrying about taxes.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

DC81's avatar - batman39
      MI
      United States
      Member #54830
      August 31, 2007
      985 Posts
      Posted: August 14, 2008, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

I chose furnishings though I dunno if I'd give them away either, maybe just have a yard sale and sell pretty much everything cheap enough for it to all be gone in a day or two, what small amount of items I'd be keeping would fit in a small U-Haul trailer if I needed the room. I'd use that money for the gas I'll need on my way down south. Big Smile

You can't predict random.

Kennesaw, GA
        United States
        Member #62138
        June 18, 2008
        1413 Posts
        Posted: August 14, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I would give away my car although i only had it for a year, i want something new already..it doesnt suit me.  i have a friend who bugs me all the time to drive it, so one day i will be like, "dont worry about bringing it back..........!!!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: August 14, 2008, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

What's the point of having gobs of money if you don't spend at least some of it in some sort of self gratifying way?  You can always invest in munis and t bills to reduce your tax liabilities.

The government is going to get you one way or another. Death and taxes - the only certain things in life, and the biggest certainty is they tax you to death, then tax you again for having the audacity to die before they get everything. Might as well go out happy than worrying about taxes.

The point of having gobs of money, IMHO is for the freedom to come and go as I choose.  The gratifying part to me is not being encumbered by the trappings which one perceives as a necessary component of wealth. 

I would get tax breaks from donating to my favorite charities and volunteering, once I get the freedom thing out of my system.

Sun Smiley

claymore's avatar - basket
            College Station, Texas
            United States
            Member #61680
            May 31, 2008
            13 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2008, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

I would give away EVERYTHING besides my computer and laptop...those are new...and my car and truck.

I love my '04 GAGT1, and the Ram1500 is relatively new...and will come in handy as a TIU (tear it up) vehicle for the ranch property I'm going to buy when I hit the jackpot!

Yeehaw!

lol

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              985 Posts
              Posted: August 14, 2008, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

My computer is now beyond ancient at five years old to where the only really beneficial thing to upgrade would be the CPU and to do that I'd be better off just building a new one. I still wouldn't give it away, unless I did while keeping my hard drives. Besides, it could always be used as a "guest" computer since it's still more than good enough to browse the internet or do other basic tasks with.

Northern Ohio
                United States
                Member #63551
                August 1, 2008
                203 Posts
                Posted: August 14, 2008, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

We spend a good part of our lives gathering stuff,  we become slaves to keeping this stuff.   Slaves, because in order to house and keep the "stuff" we must continually submit to the state and pay taxes year after year for the privilege to "own" this stuff.  If you think about it when you hit big,  they smack you for 33%!  OK, so then you have all this cash, you go out and start buying stuff (stimulating the economy and the ego),  well guess what?  Your tax liabilty just keeps getting bigger and bigger,  I think the best thing to do is just invest wisely and avoid getting trapped by "stuff".

You've been reading Fight Club haven't you?

Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: August 14, 2008, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

I saw the movie years ago, but no, I haven't been reading Fight Club.  I remember the gathering of glycerin and lots of explosions!

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5124 Posts
                    Posted: August 14, 2008, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I choose 9., lighten up as much as possible, all this talk of buying ties a person down.  I think that sometimes we spend way to much time gathering anchors, I would thoroughly enjoy throwing the anchors aweigh.Sad Wavey

WOW>>>>>>>>jarasan:

WE had a poll on the FIRST thing U would BUY with JP$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$

PSYKO said >>>>buy a BANK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DOES that make PSYKO a NO-G@@D<<lousy Lottery Post(member)???

Do U R anyone know how much "HELP"^

"YOU" could DO if U OWNED a BANK??????????????????????????????????

NO>>I REALIZE>>BANK's don't GIVE it AWAY>>>

OBAMA won't give U change<<<

for .50 cent's<<but, HOPE!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: August 15, 2008, 11:23 am - IP Logged

WOW>>>>>>>>jarasan:

WE had a poll on the FIRST thing U would BUY with JP$$$$$MONEY$$$$$$

PSYKO said >>>>buy a BANK$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

DOES that make PSYKO a NO-G@@D<<lousy Lottery Post(member)???

Do U R anyone know how much "HELP"^

"YOU" could DO if U OWNED a BANK??????????????????????????????????

NO>>I REALIZE>>BANK's don't GIVE it AWAY>>>

OBAMA won't give U change<<<

for .50 cent's<<but, HOPE!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

Psykomo is no lousy Lottery Post member.

He is the BEST LP member.

Jarasan would like the bank if psykomo owned the bank as long as the interest was good

lets not hope for too much change just bills....>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                        Member #15309
                        May 13, 2005
                        307 Posts
                        Posted: August 15, 2008, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

I choose 9., lighten up as much as possible, all this talk of buying ties a person down.  I think that sometimes we spend way to much time gathering anchors, I would thoroughly enjoy throwing the anchors aweigh.Sad Wavey

I chose "other".  At this time in my life, I would give away all that I have for  one more day of good health.

One more day of being able to walk, talk, just walk around with no baggage to tie me down.

One more day to just gaze at the moon and stars at nite, and walk the mountains and explore the deserts.

At this time in my life, I look at all that I've worked for:  some real estate, cars. career, clothes, jewelry, some recognition, etc, etc. and they don't mean anything  to me.

At this time in my life, I actually wonder why I have collected so many things, when the truth is, I don't need 99% of the things that I have.  Just STUFF that bog me down.

At this time in my life, my whole perspective of life has undergone a total revamp.  If I have to live all over again, no STUFF for me.

Just be FREE!  Life is too short and too precious to waste it collecting stuff.

Sun Smiley             

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                          Washington State
                          United States
                          Member #33973
                          February 26, 2006
                          347 Posts
                          Posted: August 15, 2008, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

I chose "other".  At this time in my life, I would give away all that I have for  one more day of good health.

One more day of being able to walk, talk, just walk around with no baggage to tie me down.

One more day to just gaze at the moon and stars at nite, and walk the mountains and explore the deserts.

At this time in my life, I look at all that I've worked for:  some real estate, cars. career, clothes, jewelry, some recognition, etc, etc. and they don't mean anything  to me.

At this time in my life, I actually wonder why I have collected so many things, when the truth is, I don't need 99% of the things that I have.  Just STUFF that bog me down.

At this time in my life, my whole perspective of life has undergone a total revamp.  If I have to live all over again, no STUFF for me.

Just be FREE!  Life is too short and too precious to waste it collecting stuff.

Right now I'm hearing you loud and clear.  The more STUFF one has, the more one ends up spending their time washing, dusting, vacuuming, polishing, or repairing it.  If not that, then it is watering, fertilizing, pruning  or mowing it.  And if the STUFF includes animals, it means feeding, bathing, scooping, walking, giving meds to and taking to the vet.  And if one can afford to hire some of that done, then it is a battle to find someone who shows up, does the job right, and doesn't steal from one. 

Okay, okay, I'll admit it.  I've been working in the yard all morning doing work I'd hired someone else to do.  But after a few hours a few afternoons, he quit showing up.  I'm too old for this.  It is no longer fun.  A place half this size sounds good to me.  I have way too much STUFF!

AlecWest's avatar - alec
                            Vader, Washington
                            United States
                            Member #29697
                            January 5, 2006
                            108 Posts
                            Posted: August 15, 2008, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

jarasan wrote:  We spend a good part of our lives gathering stuff, we become slaves to keeping this stuff.

Ah, yes ... the hobo ethic, "People do not own possessions ... they are owned BY them."

Truer words were never spoken.

Regards - J. Alec West  (not a hobo - but a hobo at heart) Wink

DC81's avatar - batman39
                              MI
                              United States
                              Member #54830
                              August 31, 2007
                              985 Posts
                              Posted: August 15, 2008, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

Eh, with a big jackpot I'd just hire a hot maid (with through background check) to do the cleaning for me once a week or every other week.Thumbs Up Though they might just be doing some dusting since I hate that.