Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When the matrix changes...

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 8 years ago by hypersoniq.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do/will you throw out your old data/systems?

yes [ 8 ]  [36.36%]
no [ 13 ]  [59.09%]
sometimes [ 1 ]  [4.55%]
Total Valid Votes [ 22 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: August 24, 2008, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

This applies for p5 games, too. How do you 'data trackers' handle the shakeup?

(Or... shakedown, depending on your point of view)

Thinking of...

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #48725
    January 7, 2007
    1953 Posts
    Posted: August 24, 2008, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

No. The data will need to be changed, but the system is the same. I just have to make the necessary adjustments for the new matrix.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19828 Posts
      Posted: August 24, 2008, 6:40 pm - IP Logged

This applies for p5 games, too. How do you 'data trackers' handle the shakeup?

(Or... shakedown, depending on your point of view)

Thinking of...

I track all the games I play using the following file format:YR MO DA N7 N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 and accept any numbers 1-60 except for YR MO and DA

My program logic concludes the following when a data file is first opened:

If no N1 or N2 or N3 or N4 of N5 then file is corrupt or doesn't exist, close and await instructions.
      If no N6 and N7 then data is for a pick5 game.(Rolling Cash5)
      If no N6 only then data is for pick5 plus bonus game.(PB or MM)
      If no N7 only then data is for a pick6 game.(Ohio Classic)
      If all 7 numbers exist then data is for a pick6+bonus game.(the old Ohio Super Lotto)

I also put information in the file names but I never wrote a routine to use it for example Rolling Cash5 =RC539, MegaMillions = MM556, Classic Lotto =CL649 and etc.   I have to place an invisible marker in each data file to show where matrix changed, but I keep all the data that I have collected for past drawings. I can sort my files three different ways, by YR MO DA or by N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 or by N7.

Last night's PB file entrant looks like this : A 080823231824334748 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: August 24, 2008, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

During the course of my "research", I found, thanks to LP, several ideas I wanted to incorporate.  To do so at that time meant going back to day one of the Tennessee P5 game.  That I did not wish to do.   Too much work.

When Tennessee changed from ball drops to computer rigging, I made the changes and began tracking data anew.

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8362 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2008, 2:22 am - IP Logged

I keep the old data for reference but the new matrix is what you have to work with.

What came before might be useless as the new matrix evolves.

Incorporate any old systems into the new matrix and see what happens.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
            Member #63537
            August 1, 2008
            39 Posts
            Posted: August 26, 2008, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

What is: The Matrix?

I searched and found numerous posts using the term, but didn't find clear definition... also ran a query in Lottery Glossary: a Dictionary of Lotto Terms.

Is Martix a generic term used as general application within the lexicon... or a specific industry Standard Term with rules of use and definition. 

What does The Matrix include?

What does The Matrix not include?

And when those who understand the significance of systemic changes to any particular game/matrix, how do those changes change affect, and/or effect data, stats, and forecasting?

Sorry to be asking questions that have obvious answers to others.

Thank you.

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: August 26, 2008, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

The matrix is the ballset(2) that makes up a game.

for MM, the current matrix is 5/56 + 1/46

for PB, the current  matrix is 5/55 + 1/42

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: August 26, 2008, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

And when those who understand the significance of systemic changes to any particular game/matrix, how do those changes change affect, and/or effect data, stats, and forecasting?

Data, statistics, and forecasting are dependent on history, when a matrix first change there is no history of the new matrix.  A new history has to be accumulated.

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #63537
                  August 1, 2008
                  39 Posts
                  Posted: August 26, 2008, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

The matrix is the ballset(2) that makes up a game.

for MM, the current matrix is 5/56 + 1/46

for PB, the current  matrix is 5/55 + 1/42

Thx time*treat.

Been following LP posts on the FL addition to PB... The Cause for great consternation within the continuum.

I gather then, people who have designed personal proprietary tracking systems and/or folks not blessed with programming skills, those who rely on commercial system(s) vendors are forced to start over, or invest more $$$ in upgrades?

So when any State joins, decides to quit, or changes are arbitrarily made to the lotto pool in some way, it all goes up in the air, again?

Hmmm....

Adapt or die? 

"Tell me it ain't so, Joe."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: August 26, 2008, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

.... folks not blessed with programming skills.....

Programming is a learned skill, nobody is blessed or born with it.  Commercial programs like Lotto Pro and others will work with any lottery matrix once you enter the new parameters. 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #63537
                      August 1, 2008
                      39 Posts
                      Posted: August 26, 2008, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

Data, statistics, and forecasting are dependent on history, when a matrix first change there is no history of the new matrix.  A new history has to be accumulated.

WHAT?!! Blue Thinking  #!?&$^!#?! 

RJOh, are you saying that all the old history is deleted - no longer applicable?!!

Surely, there must be a way a round it.

I know that PB has txt history available now, in unordered format at the PB website. Is it viable to capture existing histories, manually add stragglers, then plug in a algorithm to calc ratio and proportion to data/stats as the new matrix hits the streets?

As FL is added, the increase in players and revision in ballset matrix odds could be factored, somehow/someway.... yes/no?

Why don't they - the game designers - do the work for us?!!

If they're going to be diddlin' around with the matrix, then is it not incumbent upon them to make appropriate adjustments, accordingly - so it seems to me.

This is reminiSCENT of the OS software guys penchant for changing boats mid steam. A few at the top make the call, and millions are expected to jump on-board - never mind cost of casualties. Wouldn't be half as bad if the skipper wasn't on shore, and navigators had a grasp on the fact that they forgot the lifejackets. Do they ever bother to assess the value of work people (taxpayers) put-in - cost of playslips aside?

Unconsionable! 

We should think about pooling resources to put a lobbyist on K Street... Or call a general lotto/lottery boycott for a week. If they're going to be turning universes upside-down, then perhaps they should be first thru in the black hole. 

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3474 Posts
                        Posted: August 26, 2008, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

"As FL is added, the increase in players and revision in ballset matrix odds could be factored, somehow/someway.... yes/no?"

How? The whole theory behind systems is that analyzing past results will offer insights into future results. There are no past results for a brand new game, which is what you get every time you change the matrix. They don't simply add a few balls to add the new numbers; they use an entirely new ball set, and possibly new machines. If you think the past results of the old matrix will help with the new one, you might as well also use the results from every other game, since they're as much a part of the new game as the old one is.

The only possible exception is if there's some unknown attribute in the universe that actually does cause probability to balance out in the long term. Maybe,  over the entire history of the universe, there will actualy be an even number of heads and tails.  Despite the absence of any proof at all, I'm willing to consider it a possibilty, but there's a catch. If such an attribute exists we would have to expect it to work on a scale the magnitude of the universe, which means we coul dsee huge imbalances before thinsg balance put a few billion years from now.

United States
                          Member #63537
                          August 1, 2008
                          39 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2008, 12:27 am - IP Logged

"As FL is added, the increase in players and revision in ballset matrix odds could be factored, somehow/someway.... yes/no?"

How? The whole theory behind systems is that analyzing past results will offer insights into future results. There are no past results for a brand new game, which is what you get every time you change the matrix. They don't simply add a few balls to add the new numbers; they use an entirely new ball set, and possibly new machines. If you think the past results of the old matrix will help with the new one, you might as well also use the results from every other game, since they're as much a part of the new game as the old one is.

The only possible exception is if there's some unknown attribute in the universe that actually does cause probability to balance out in the long term. Maybe,  over the entire history of the universe, there will actualy be an even number of heads and tails.  Despite the absence of any proof at all, I'm willing to consider it a possibilty, but there's a catch. If such an attribute exists we would have to expect it to work on a scale the magnitude of the universe, which means we coul dsee huge imbalances before thinsg balance put a few billion years from now.

Right, I see the light. It slipped by that not only is FL joining, but the ballset (matrix) counts and machines change, also. 

However at this point in the TP poll, 71.4% have voted no to "do/will you throw out your old data/systems." 

I suppose majority reponses don't necessarily show that players intend to use old data/systems in sync with the new matrix... they just don't plan on tossing 'em out.

So it blows it wide open. What would be best approach in a new game as such... cross-ref data/stat patterns from another game with similiar or same matrix? But even then, demographic betting behaviors would not be the same, eh? 

No doubt matrix design is a well guarded secret... They must know up-front what numbers to odds/ratios and all are going to do before the game gets lit-off. It would be good to know what they know.

When I think about all the books and software, all the data/stat facts and private research in the 5/55 - 1/42 game, up in smoke... Guess that's what could be called, leveling the field - not atypical of tax all systems.

I'm not a cynic... I'm not a cynic... I'm not a cynic... 

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: August 27, 2008, 4:53 am - IP Logged

I track all the games I play using the following file format:YR MO DA N7 N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 and accept any numbers 1-60 except for YR MO and DA

My program logic concludes the following when a data file is first opened:

If no N1 or N2 or N3 or N4 of N5 then file is corrupt or doesn't exist, close and await instructions.
                            If no N6 and N7 then data is for a pick5 game.(Rolling Cash5)
                            If no N6 only then data is for pick5 plus bonus game.(PB or MM)
                            If no N7 only then data is for a pick6 game.(Ohio Classic)
                            If all 7 numbers exist then data is for a pick6+bonus game.(the old Ohio Super Lotto)

I also put information in the file names but I never wrote a routine to use it for example Rolling Cash5 =RC539, MegaMillions = MM556, Classic Lotto =CL649 and etc.   I have to place an invisible marker in each data file to show where matrix changed, but I keep all the data that I have collected for past drawings. I can sort my files three different ways, by YR MO DA or by N1 N2 N3 N4 N5 N6 or by N7.

Last night's PB file entrant looks like this : A 080823231824334748 

Does the A, in front, mean anything?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19828 Posts
                              Posted: August 27, 2008, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Does the A, in front, mean anything?

Yes, the "A" is a utility note in each record that tells my delete routine that this is an active record.  When I want to cancel or delete a record I write cancel which puts a "C" there instead and when I run the delete routine which rewrite the file, it only rewrite records with an "A".

Evil Looking