Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 12:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Christian Faith and Lottery

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 8 years ago by Lotterologist.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
Member #65961
October 11, 2008
162 Posts
Posted: October 18, 2008, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

Perfecttiming2 said it all about as well as Billy Graham could.

There is a CURSE given to anyone who does not tithe, as recorded in the book of Malachi.

You will NEVER HEAR this preached in any church here in America, but the tithe is to be

BEFORE TAXES etc. The bible says that God wants our FIRST FRUITS, and not our leftovers.

However, most Christians and Americans have indicated that a nice new, big home, new cars,

new clothes, neat vacation, vacation home, rv's, boats, motorcycles, stocks, bonds, and gold

and silver are more important than their relationship with God. Therefore, all they have left is

1-3% of their gross salary. I can speak with authority on the subject, because I was one of

these folks until I saw the light.  As to being a Christian and playing the lottery, some have the

freedom to play, and others do not. I have studied the bible since 1956, and I can only recall

several passages in the bible that pertain to gambling. One passage deals with the Cross. As Jesus

Christ was being crucified, the Roman soldiers were "casting lots" to determine who would win

his robe. On this web site, I go one step further. When someone shares a system with me, like Mazk did, and I win, I not only give 10% to the work of God(The Salvation Army, Make A Wish, Smile Train. etc.), but I give 10% of my winnings to the systems author. Recently I won $600 in Texas Pick 4 and

I gave Mazk $60, and $60 went to one of the above institutions.

If you feel gambling is wrong or evil, and you participate, then you are sinning.

If you feel gambling is not wrong or evil, then you have the freedom of playing, and you are not

sinning. Paul, the author of 2/3 of the bible, has a lot to say on the subject of sin and freedom.

In short, if it does not bring honor and glory to Jesus Christ, IT IS SIN PERIOD!!

If you are rebelling about giving God 10% of what he gives you, I PROMISE YOU - YOU WILL

NEVER WIN THE LOTTERY, AND YOU CAN GO TO THE BANK ON THAT!!!!!

Hi hennybogan!

I agree...

And I just want to add that.........one of the things that I like about this site is that people are willing to offer advice and insight that is refreshing and inspiring....

(even if it seems like it goes unappreciated, its not............)

I appreciated reading the comments and I always learn something.....

I don't think there is another site like this one on the web.   

Perfecttiming2's avatar - redcross

United States
    Member #65961
    October 11, 2008
    162 Posts
    Posted: October 18, 2008, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Your body is the temple of Christ the vessel so to speak so anything you put into it food wise that is good for the body pleases him.

You honor him by taking care of your body.

Hi four4me!

I totally agree.....

God says: Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you whom you have from God...for you were brought at a price therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit. (2Cor 6:18-20)

You are so right on the body is a temple for the Holy Spirit!

There is a video circulating on the net of two dancers...the guy is missing a leg and the girl loss one arm in an auto accident.

The ballet that they do is amazing...if you ever want to "see" how the human body can glorify its creator...that video says it all...

ICNUMBERS's avatar - the eye.png
      Messy Michigan
      United States
      Member #64435
      August 28, 2008
      110 Posts
      Posted: October 18, 2008, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

when i was down on my luck at an earlier time in life.  Went to four different churches for help.   Needless to say, none helped me.

I did get some help down the road from a local charity, which i volunteer for today.  Guess how much the Jesus followers will get of the winnings?

I 2 had this happen at all of them I just went 4 help w/my adopted cousins who just had no keen since of discipline. At the last and final church once I seen there was no outreach ministry 4 families and there children I just stopped going. But 2 add 2 the moral dilema the last church and last straw was when the Pastor ask me my childs name which he was familiar with; I do give him that. He told me that he was praying 4 her but in the same sentence told me to bring in my annual income so that he could help do some financial planning.LOL

Remember we are the decisions that we make, please take the time to educate.Stooges

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: October 18, 2008, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Tithing shmithing....Puleeeze....

Let me get this straight.....God supposedly created the universe. He is almighty, omnipotent, yet he happens to lack in the finance department.

BS 

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: October 19, 2008, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Your body is the temple of Christ the vessel so to speak so anything you put into it food wise that is good for the body pleases him.

You honor him by taking care of your body.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit weak on some of the finer points, so maybe you can help me to get a better understanding. Suppose you eat a PB&J, not realizing that you have an allergy to  peanuts? Does nearly killing yourself honor and please him, or is it a sin even though you didn't know the PB&J might destroy his temple?

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            699 Posts
            Posted: October 19, 2008, 10:42 am - IP Logged

I don't subscribe to any organized religion, so I don't have that problem.  It started with my parents, whom had to jump through hoops to find a church that would marry them because they came from two different faiths.  They did attend church for a while, then they had a pastor who tried to tell everyone how to vote in an upcoming election, which didn't help them.

My family didn't attend church, and other kids would tell me "you can't get to heaven if you don't go to church," which my parents told me wasn't true.  It kind of worries me even now that people were teaching their kids that.  The other thing I saw amongst church goers was the attitude that "my church is better than your church" and they all preached that everyone who was the "wrong" denomination was going to hell.

Ironically, another thing that turned me away for organized religion was going to Christian schools.  I attended a Catholic school and was pretty much told that because I'm not Catholic, I'm a second class citizen.  I also went to a Lutheran school and was treated the same way because I wasn't Lutheran.  That kind of thing pretty much closed the door on me for organized religion.

My wife also quit being a Catholic partially because her parents forced her to go to a Catholic school, where the students were abused and degraded on a regular basis.  She begged her parents to take her out of there but they refused, so she deliberately flunked out so she wouldn't have to go back.

When we got married, her family was very upset that they we weren't getting married in a Catholic church because she doesn't agree with the church for alot of reasons and since I'm not Catholic, I'd have to jump through alot of hoops to get married in the Catholic church and even if I jump through those hoops, the church can still turn us down.  My wife found Community Church to marry us and she told her parents that was as close to Catholic as it would get and if they didn't like it, they didn't have to attend.  They attended and even though it wasn't Catholic, they enjoyed the ceremony and had a great time at the reception after.

I have never had much faith in organized religion, and that's why I don't go to church, or care what any church preaches.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Entertaiment Capital
              United States
              Member #37800
              April 19, 2006
              302 Posts
              Posted: October 19, 2008, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't subscribe to any organized religion, so I don't have that problem.  It started with my parents, whom had to jump through hoops to find a church that would marry them because they came from two different faiths.  They did attend church for a while, then they had a pastor who tried to tell everyone how to vote in an upcoming election, which didn't help them.

My family didn't attend church, and other kids would tell me "you can't get to heaven if you don't go to church," which my parents told me wasn't true.  It kind of worries me even now that people were teaching their kids that.  The other thing I saw amongst church goers was the attitude that "my church is better than your church" and they all preached that everyone who was the "wrong" denomination was going to hell.

Ironically, another thing that turned me away for organized religion was going to Christian schools.  I attended a Catholic school and was pretty much told that because I'm not Catholic, I'm a second class citizen.  I also went to a Lutheran school and was treated the same way because I wasn't Lutheran.  That kind of thing pretty much closed the door on me for organized religion.

My wife also quit being a Catholic partially because her parents forced her to go to a Catholic school, where the students were abused and degraded on a regular basis.  She begged her parents to take her out of there but they refused, so she deliberately flunked out so she wouldn't have to go back.

When we got married, her family was very upset that they we weren't getting married in a Catholic church because she doesn't agree with the church for alot of reasons and since I'm not Catholic, I'd have to jump through alot of hoops to get married in the Catholic church and even if I jump through those hoops, the church can still turn us down.  My wife found Community Church to marry us and she told her parents that was as close to Catholic as it would get and if they didn't like it, they didn't have to attend.  They attended and even though it wasn't Catholic, they enjoyed the ceremony and had a great time at the reception after.

I have never had much faith in organized religion, and that's why I don't go to church, or care what any church preaches.

I was born in a morally conservative Catholic family. I became a protestant at 13 because of...Chick Tract. I was a hardcore fundie until 29, but something made me feel tormented and tried to find the solution within christian faith. It didn't work. Eventually I googled 'Biblical Contradiction' and that was the beginning of the end of my christian faith. (see guys, Bible is full of fabrications and contradictions. God's words? Bah!)

I briefly went back to catholicism but skepticism on religion got me out of catholic faith completely. Now I am roaming between maltheism and atheism.

Think about it. If some entity is omnipotent/near omnipotent, do you really expect the entity to be morally good? No. If the entity can do anything it wants and gets away with it, there is no reason for the entity to be moral and good. Christian god is such an entity. Biblical god is the ultimate expression of "Might makes right". I have no intention to worship such nefarious being.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: October 20, 2008, 12:40 am - IP Logged

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit weak on some of the finer points, so maybe you can help me to get a better understanding. Suppose you eat a PB&J, not realizing that you have an allergy to  peanuts? Does nearly killing yourself honor and please him, or is it a sin even though you didn't know the PB&J might destroy his temple?

Look man don't insult my intelligence. First off i am very allergic to peanuts and their oils i have to watch everything i eat. I learned from a very early age that i had this allergy and while i won't go into grate detail about it.  As far as i know you don't develop this allergy over time but instead it's in you from birth probably because children's mothers ingested peanuts and then feed them their breast milk the allergy is then sometimes implanted in the child.

So if a person eats peanuts by accident he/she isn't mocking God they most likely will be praying not to die because this allergy can easily kill someone who doesn't get medical attention quickly. An eppy pen is sometimes carried. Benadryl helps in some cases.

If a person knowingly ingest a food substance that they know could possibly kill them they are attempting suicide and that is a sin.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: October 22, 2008, 1:23 am - IP Logged

How am I insulting your intelligence? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the extremely black and white concept that *everything* either honors jesus or is a sin, and picked one example.

Although allergies (whether to peanuts, shellfish, or bee stings) may often be life threatening, they're often nothing more than an inconvenience. Being ignorant on such matters, I'm curious about the threshold at which something changes from honoring Jesus to being a sin, and how the common layperson is expected to recognize that threshold. I'm skeptical that willfully endangering yourself honors jesus.   By the same token, life is full of danger, and I'm skeptical that deliberately doing every thing that is dangerous is a sin. After all, if you're stupid enough to be a real danger to yourself, who made you that stupid?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8360 Posts
                    Posted: October 22, 2008, 11:57 am - IP Logged

How am I insulting your intelligence? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind the extremely black and white concept that *everything* either honors jesus or is a sin, and picked one example.

Although allergies (whether to peanuts, shellfish, or bee stings) may often be life threatening, they're often nothing more than an inconvenience. Being ignorant on such matters, I'm curious about the threshold at which something changes from honoring Jesus to being a sin, and how the common layperson is expected to recognize that threshold. I'm skeptical that willfully endangering yourself honors jesus.   By the same token, life is full of danger, and I'm skeptical that deliberately doing every thing that is dangerous is a sin. After all, if you're stupid enough to be a real danger to yourself, who made you that stupid?

I should have said don't insult your inelegance or mine i know you have a working knowledge of many things as you have made many posts in these forums on just about every subject.

Since there are many religions out there, there are various forms of sins against god. Like eating meat on Friday used to be a sin as far as the catholic church was concerned then they said it wasn't a sin.

A devout Christian walks a thin line he/she observes the many teachings of the church and bible. Like a priest or nun they dedicate their mind, body and soul to be as free from sin as possible any form of sin and for the most part their job is to find new members for the flock. To spread the word of god to make ready a person to accept Jesus as their savior and to help them prepare for the kingdom of heaven.

When you meet a devout Christian you will know automatically as they aren't like most of the normal people you know, they are bent on goals and those goals are to spread the word. To gather more sheep for the flock.

Every Christian isn't devout though they sin every day and have to ask for forgiveness. The Internet and library are full of materials about Christianity. The subject is way to deep to cover in a few posts and for the most part is a realization one achieves as they grow and learn about Christ and the church

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                      Sunny California
                      United States
                      Member #63790
                      August 8, 2008
                      220 Posts
                      Posted: October 22, 2008, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm a Christian and I think playing the lottery would be a sin if you plan on using the money from winning the jackpot just on yourself or yourself and a few family members. But if you plan on taking the money and making the world a better place then it would not be a sin to play. There are plenty of charities and people I would like to help in this world but I can't because I don't have the money to help them. If I were to win the jackpot then I would be able to help out many people which is exactly what God would want from any of us. I'm not saying that I don't help people because I don't have money because I do, but I could do so much more in this world if my luck were to change and win the jackpot. I think God just wants to test people to see what they would do if He were to give them the chance to win the jackpot. He wants to see if they will be selfish with the money or spread the money around to help out less fortunate people.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: October 23, 2008, 12:05 am - IP Logged

I'm a Christian and I think playing the lottery would be a sin if you plan on using the money from winning the jackpot just on yourself or yourself and a few family members. But if you plan on taking the money and making the world a better place then it would not be a sin to play. There are plenty of charities and people I would like to help in this world but I can't because I don't have the money to help them. If I were to win the jackpot then I would be able to help out many people which is exactly what God would want from any of us. I'm not saying that I don't help people because I don't have money because I do, but I could do so much more in this world if my luck were to change and win the jackpot. I think God just wants to test people to see what they would do if He were to give them the chance to win the jackpot. He wants to see if they will be selfish with the money or spread the money around to help out less fortunate people.

I think God just wants to test people to see what they would do if He were to give them the chance to win the jackpot. He wants to see if they will be selfish with the money or spread the money around to help out less fortunate people.

He has too much time on his hands.That's like asking a group of flies not to focus on the sugar well.

If God wanted to help the less fortunate, there wouldn't be any now.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: October 23, 2008, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Look...but can't touch.

We'll setup an environment which we'll hope you will never indulge. If you do, shame on you. Touch but can't taste. What a joke.

Look in the rabbit hole and wonder. Take the blue pill.

United States
                            Member #66338
                            October 22, 2008
                            25 Posts
                            Posted: October 23, 2008, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

What kind of GOD do you follow that would curse people for not giving up 10% of there earnings? sounds a lot like the maffia who will HURT you for not giving them a percentage of your earnings for their protection of your business.I'm 40 yrs old and never tithed in my life and never been cursed because of it so i just proved you wrong!!!! I always have money and never been without always able too take care of my financial responsibilities!!!

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: October 24, 2008, 1:46 am - IP Logged

Not that most of them are clever enough to notice, but the majority of people in this country profess a belief in a god with some major self esteem issues.  Being ticked off because you don't share enough with him is only the tip of the iceberg.