Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery software pricing

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 8 years ago by bitrunner.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Atlanta
United States
Member #33572
February 22, 2006
366 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2008, 12:46 pm - IP Logged

What would your reaction be if a lottery software developer offered you the following proposition: He/she will let you use the software for an unlimited period of time, but if the software provided true value to you, then you would send the developer whatever you thought the software was worth.. That is, rather than software being offered at a fixed priced, the customer would determine the value, and thus be obligated to pay whatever that value was, as a matter of conscience.

There is a lot of lottery software out there, some good, some bad, some not worth the effort of even trying. If you had an offer like the one I described, what would you do?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19895 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2008, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

If someone is writing lottery software as a business, then that's a business plan that will not work.  I doubt if players who write lottery software as a hobby for their own benefits would ever consider sharing their software in that manner.   Programmers with software that doesn't work wouldn't do it either.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Shawn67's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
      Member #45970
      September 1, 2006
      4763 Posts
      Posted: November 13, 2008, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

If someone is writing lottery software as a business, then that's a business plan that will not work.  I doubt if players who write lottery software as a hobby for their own benefits would ever consider sharing their software in that manner.   Programmers with software that doesn't work wouldn't do it either.

Ditto

Atlanta
        United States
        Member #33572
        February 22, 2006
        366 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2008, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

Priceline started offering this strategy for hotels and airfares and they seem to be doing okay, at least until recently.

When you make a bid on ebay for an item, you only offer what you think it is worth to you.

When someones barters with someone else, both parties have to determine what the service is worth.

When a person buys a stock in the stock market, that person will only pay what they think the stock will be worth in the future.

Why is lottery software different, given the skepticism about lottery software in general and current economic condtions?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19895 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2008, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Why is lottery software different, given the skepticism about lottery software in general and current economic condtions?

Lottery software is just like lottery tickets, their values are determined before you buy them and if you are skeptical about the game or you can't afford the price of the tickets then you don't buy them.  You don't barter with retailer for what you think the tickets will be worth after the drawing.   You and the retailer know that there is a 95% chance they will be worthless, but that's the reason playing lotteries is gambling. 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
            Member #4877
            May 30, 2004
            5142 Posts
            Posted: November 13, 2008, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

Priceline started offering this strategy for hotels and airfares and they seem to be doing okay, at least until recently.

When you make a bid on ebay for an item, you only offer what you think it is worth to you.

When someones barters with someone else, both parties have to determine what the service is worth.

When a person buys a stock in the stock market, that person will only pay what they think the stock will be worth in the future.

PukeDitto>>>>>>>>>> but,

if U can't trust>>> UR>

government>>>>>>>>>>>>?

"WHO CAN U TRUST">>>>>?

could anyone use a stem-check>NOW o!O?

LOL

PSYKOMO

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1958 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2008, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

What would your reaction be if a lottery software developer offered you the following proposition: He/she will let you use the software for an unlimited period of time, but if the software provided true value to you, then you would send the developer whatever you thought the software was worth.. That is, rather than software being offered at a fixed priced, the customer would determine the value, and thus be obligated to pay whatever that value was, as a matter of conscience.

There is a lot of lottery software out there, some good, some bad, some not worth the effort of even trying. If you had an offer like the one I described, what would you do?

Let the customer determine the value? No way. I know what that value would be: FREE.Roll Eyes

Gonna win.Big Smile

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2008, 3:58 pm - IP Logged

I read somewhere that gamblers are one of the most likely groups to send you a bad check.

If I were selling software, I'd do the same as if I won a jackpot - cash value, up front.Skeptical

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                  Tx
                  United States
                  Member #4570
                  May 4, 2004
                  5180 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2008, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

It seems to me that these people are right, software most have a set price or be freeware, those asking for donations or giving their software as donat-ware, probably don't get much money.

Let those few who pay for it, get it and the rest don't, other wise, everybody gets it and very few pay any money for it and probably not enough money.

If you can't afford the software then you should not be playing the lottery, you can't afford to gamble your money away.

Either give the software away as freeware or sell it, if you give it as donat-ware, don't expect to get much money on donations.

It is perfectly fine to give software as donat-ware, there is nothing wrong with that, just don't expect to make much mooney in this way.

Good luck!

Tx
                    United States
                    Member #4570
                    May 4, 2004
                    5180 Posts
                    Posted: November 13, 2008, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

I suggest that before you put a price on it, make predictions with the use of your software, if you win enough and or often enough, then you can set a higher price for the software, otherwise, either don't sell it, or sell it for anything between $19 up to $29, or give it away as either freeware or as donat-ware.

--------

By the way, What game(s) is the software for and Does it make automatic predictions or not?

How good Do you think that it is?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19895 Posts
                      Posted: November 13, 2008, 8:09 pm - IP Logged

I suggest that before you put a price on it, make predictions with the use of your software, if you win enough and or often enough, then you can set a higher price for the software, otherwise, either don't sell it, or sell it for anything between $19 up to $29, or give it away as either freeware or as donat-ware.

--------

By the way, What game(s) is the software for and Does it make automatic predictions or not?

How good Do you think that it is?

One problem with that idea, programmers sell software to make money.  If a programmer could make money using his software why would he sell it to anyone else for any price?   

I don't believe there are people out there writing lottery programs because they want to see other people make money playing the lotteries but I do believe there are plenty of of lottery programs out there that will store drawings results and allow you to analyze them in different ways.  When it comes to making winning predictions, you're going to have to come up with some ideas of your own.

Evil Looking       

Tx
                        United States
                        Member #4570
                        May 4, 2004
                        5180 Posts
                        Posted: November 13, 2008, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

If a software gives automatic predictions:

For the pick 3 game:

Boxed wins, it must give them often enough and with as few numbers as possible or there will be no profit.

Straight wins they don't have to be won as often if they are won with few numbers.

Straight wins have to be won often enough if they are won with very many numbers or there will not be a profit.

----------------------

Jackpot games:

Small wins won't give any profit if there are too many lines predicted.

Big wins, might give a profit if there are not too many lines predicted and if such wins come out often enough.

JackPot wins, they have to come out just once.

You should not buy jackpot software, because it gives or might give small wins, but because of the potential that it might have for maybe one day giving a Jackpot prediction.

If a software does not give small and or big wins often enough and with as few lines as possible, then it might have no or very little potential for giving big and or jackpot wins.

But you never know for sure, for example: LottoSync hardly ever gave any wins, but a few people a few times got more or less big wins with it, so maybe most people didn't make any money with it, but a few of them did, the chances of somebody sometime winning big prices and or a jackpot might (maybe, but not for sure) be increased a few times over regular random chance, I am talking about the 1.5 to 1.7 versions, the chances of Marco ever releasing the 1.8 or other newer version(s), even now, seem small.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                          Dump Water Florida
                          United States
                          Member #380
                          June 5, 2002
                          3112 Posts
                          Posted: November 14, 2008, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

One of the marketing scams from the old days went something like this.

The actual value of my software is $129.98 however if you act today you can buy my software for $29.99 and use it as long as you want.  When you have a good win,  you pay the remaining $99.99

Of course the intent is to sell software for $29.99 while inflating the perceived value to $129.98 if anyone is stupid enough to send in the $99.99 that's gravy.

BobP

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23348 Posts
                            Posted: November 14, 2008, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

I use that model for my Lottery Results Gadget for Windows Vista.  It is DonationWare, meaning that people can have it for free and they can donate any amount they like if they want to.

Based on how few people actually donate money for it, it would be impossible to survive if I relied uon donations.  That's why you don't see more software authors do it.

There are probably 100,000 or more people using the gadget, and a small handful of donations has come from it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                              Heroic City
                              Indonesia
                              Member #31689
                              February 2, 2006
                              1153 Posts
                              Posted: November 14, 2008, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

i guess these are the rule of donationware

There are probably 100,000 or more Eek Crazy Eek Crazy Eek Crazy people using the gadget, and a small handful of donations has come from it.

like in the old book ten to one, from ten people who cured only only who return but this is a good thing ten percent, while for donationware it might be only one percent. i guess people who donate really knew how hard to make such program. i guess you're collecting a good luck energy chief Thumbs Up

gl

Et erunt signa in sole.......Et luna et stellis.......Et presura gentium
                              Prae confusione sonitus maris.