Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

lottery software pricing

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 8 years ago by bitrunner.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
McKinney/Texas
United States
Member #47363
November 1, 2006
706 Posts
Posted: November 14, 2008, 11:27 pm - IP Logged

What would your reaction be if a lottery software developer offered you the following proposition: He/she will let you use the software for an unlimited period of time, but if the software provided true value to you, then you would send the developer whatever you thought the software was worth.. That is, rather than software being offered at a fixed priced, the customer would determine the value, and thus be obligated to pay whatever that value was, as a matter of conscience.

There is a lot of lottery software out there, some good, some bad, some not worth the effort of even trying. If you had an offer like the one I described, what would you do?

Give the author 10% of all winnings. I have done that with the past - just ask Mazk.

Used his hybrid Pick 4 form and won $600 here in Texas. Deposited $60 in his account.

Ephesians 3:20

Atlanta
    United States
    Member #33572
    February 22, 2006
    366 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2008, 12:50 am - IP Logged

I use that model for my Lottery Results Gadget for Windows Vista.  It is DonationWare, meaning that people can have it for free and they can donate any amount they like if they want to.

Based on how few people actually donate money for it, it would be impossible to survive if I relied uon donations.  That's why you don't see more software authors do it.

There are probably 100,000 or more people using the gadget, and a small handful of donations has come from it.

I believe winzip used this model with just a nag screen to encourage users to register the software.

What prompted this thread was BobP using donateware for his ebook, jadelottery offering his pick3/pick4 softeware for free, the lucky software to encourage platinum memberships and lately the reincarnation of lottosync.

Four different models of offering softrware to the user.

There are a lot of defunct lottery software writers around; I doubt if any of them ever got rich elling softrware; and I doubt if any developer would take the time(lots of hours to write good software) if he/she knew in advance that, even though the market appears huge, would never be compensated beyond poverty for his efforts, even if he/she came up with holy grail of lottery software.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
      Dump Water Florida
      United States
      Member #380
      June 5, 2002
      3104 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2008, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Ah ha!  There's the rub!  The holy grail of lottery software would actually work, users would be happy with the outcome, hence it would never be sold.  BobP

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
        Tx
        United States
        Member #4570
        May 4, 2004
        5180 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2008, 3:15 am - IP Logged

I have not seen very many software developers posting predictions with the use of their software.

Do software developers use their own software to play the lottery with?

Maybe only a few or some of them, if so, that would tell me that either their software is not very good or that they themselves don't know how to use it right.

When I was making some winning predictions and or posting about filters and I would mention what software I was using, sometimes I got P.M.s asking how they could get the software(s).

Winning predictions have software selling potential, even if such software does not give automatic predictions.

If I was a lottery software developer, I probably would be able to sell many copies of it, if I wanted to, as I would make winning predictions with it.

When you make winning predictions, it takes a-while for people to notice, but little by little they do.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19831 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2008, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I have not seen very many software developers posting predictions with the use of their software.

Maybe only a few or some of them, if so, that would tell me that either their software is not very good or that they themselves don't know how to use it right.

When I was making some winning predictions and or posting about filters and I would mention what software I was using, sometimes I got P.M.s asking how they could get the software(s).

Winning predictions have software selling potential, even if such software does not give automatic predictions.

If I was a lottery software developer, I probably would be able to sell many copies of it, if I wanted to, as I would make winning predictions with it.

When you make winning predictions, it takes a-while for people to notice, but little by little they do.

If some one is posting winning predictions, why buy the software they're using when you can just play their predictions?   Besides, lottery software is not static, it gives out different numbers and combinations every time it's run.  It's up to the user to know when it's predictions are winners.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23275 Posts
            Posted: November 15, 2008, 10:55 am - IP Logged

i guess these are the rule of donationware

There are probably 100,000 or more Eek Crazy Eek Crazy Eek Crazy people using the gadget, and a small handful of donations has come from it.

like in the old book ten to one, from ten people who cured only only who return but this is a good thing ten percent, while for donationware it might be only one percent. i guess people who donate really knew how hard to make such program. i guess you're collecting a good luck energy chief Thumbs Up

gl

Actually, having 1% of people using it donate would be really nice.  The percentage of people who donate is much, much smaller than that. 

If you can tell me what good energy is coming from that, I would love to hear it.  I look at it as more of a reinforcement that I should be charging for it.  Don't you wonder why no one else has taken the enormous amount of time neded to build such a thing?  It looks simple, but I can assure you it is not.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Atlanta
              United States
              Member #33572
              February 22, 2006
              366 Posts
              Posted: November 15, 2008, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe software can make winning predictions. The best it can do is find the best matching numbers for a given scenario. Software is only a tool that makes possible what would otherwise be impossible, by relieving the tedium of data collecting and then sortiing through the data to come up with possible answers.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: November 15, 2008, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Below, from my post:

"even if such software does not give automatic predictions."

------------------------------

I was not talking about a program that gave automatic predictions, but about a program that gave stats and filters tools.

But I do believe that it is possible for a program to give automatic winning predictions, but not all of the time, just somewhat more often than what the same number of quick-picks would give.

How do I know? When a person like me makes a prediction, I or that person uses "Prediction Rules", this is not something that I have written down on paper, but I can write them down on paper or with a word processor in some kind of text file in a computer if I wanted to, these are not some sort of quick-picks, but prediction methods based on the statistics of past winning numbers and they are "Rule Based" in accord to what such stats show, this is something that can be coded into a program, but as I don't win all of the time, the program would not either, it would be prediction rules based upon statistical situations, same as a person does in his mind, but coded into a program, perhaps not a thing just for any programmer to do, but for a good enough programmer, that is good enough to be able to do the job, it depends on the rules' script and on the programmers ability.

It tells the program what things and where to look for them and what to do after depending on what it finds and where, this sounds simple enough, but it is a little more complex than that, this is not a quite right explanation, but will have to do here for now.

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
                  CT
                  United States
                  Member #61398
                  May 21, 2008
                  781 Posts
                  Posted: November 15, 2008, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

There are a number of members on here using their own software to play the lottery.

That is very optimistic there.  How can you assume your software would make winning predictions if you have not had the tools to back test your algorithms? If you could somehow show you have the winning stuff, I (or many others here) would surely be glad to put them into code for you.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3104 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2008, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Actually, having 1% of people using it donate would be really nice.  The percentage of people who donate is much, much smaller than that. 

If you can tell me what good energy is coming from that, I would love to hear it.  I look at it as more of a reinforcement that I should be charging for it.  Don't you wonder why no one else has taken the enormous amount of time neded to build such a thing?  It looks simple, but I can assure you it is not.

In my opinion the only way the shareware model works is when a really sweet feature comes with upgrading (like membership on LP). 

Another model would be to incorporate advertising in the free version. 

Sometimes you just do things because it keeps LP on the top.  LP is the sum of its parts. 

BobP

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                      Dallas, TX
                      United States
                      Member #60284
                      April 12, 2008
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2008, 11:29 pm - IP Logged

Still waiting on the best software for Mac allowing consistent winnings to pop up, and customizable research features. Would pay $1,000 for such software...I purchased Lotto Sorcerer and it does no good. >_<

Atlanta
                        United States
                        Member #33572
                        February 22, 2006
                        366 Posts
                        Posted: November 17, 2008, 12:05 am - IP Logged

The other pricing models seem to be trialware, crackware(with stolen serials or unlock code), and fluffware.