Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should the new Congress set-up a US National Lottery?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 8 years ago by myturn.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia City, Indiana
United States
Member #2978
December 9, 2003
381 Posts
Posted: December 14, 2008, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I think congress has enough to do with its attempt to nationalize our auto industry. Once they drive that into the ground, the Big Three will be sold off to or absorbed by foreign companies in order to avoid a total collapse of that sector. We should get this announcement by next September.

Historically, Congress solves problems by throwing money at them. If it doesn't work, well, that's an indication that the first wad just wasn't big enough, so they throw some more money at the source of their strife. If they were responsible for overseeing or otherwise regulating a national lottery, I doubt that it would take even a year before it was hopelessly mucked up. Add to that the inevitable and innumerable taxes we'd pay on each ticket, and it wouldn't be long before they'd price themselves right out of the game, and we'd have no choice but to pony up all the money they lost.

No, I think this is a bad idea, but certainly one which merits discussion.   

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

United States
    Member #67870
    December 7, 2008
    154 Posts
    Posted: December 15, 2008, 10:21 am - IP Logged

honestly the odds are so bad on the mega millions that I really don't see a good reason for an even larger national lottery.

I would be so glad if the state lotteries would just simply increase their payout ratios from 50% to about 60 to 80 percent.  Email your representatives regularly, though.  They really should hear their people.

If they could, for example, raise the Pick3 prize from $500 to $750 , and so on,  etc. I would be so glad.  Some online lotteries already do it for as much as a 80 or 90 percent payout!  Plus, the economy really needs the people to win more !  Even the lotteries need more business !

They should at least do it for all of 2009,  imo, given the global economic crisis.  Just don't bother to call your lottery with suggestions.  I've done that and it just goes out their other ear.  They don't write the rules, but if you contact your representative and governor, they usually are more motivated to listen to you.

United States
      Member #67870
      December 7, 2008
      154 Posts
      Posted: December 15, 2008, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

By the way, do they play the mega millions at 50% payout also, like they do with the smaller pick 3 and 4 ? 

Bondi Junction
        Australia
        Member #57242
        December 24, 2007
        1102 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2008, 3:29 am - IP Logged

The Massachusetts Lottery could call itself 'America's National Lottery". Other state lotteries only allow in-state residents to participate, the Massachusetts lottery has no such restriction, one can purchase a subscription with a simple phone call. It's a win win situation!  You can also buy subscriptions as gifts, which could be a solution if you can't think of what to get someone.

Bondi Junction
          Australia
          Member #57242
          December 24, 2007
          1102 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2008, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Well you know what the non-lottery players say..

Lottery is a tax on people who can't do math.

Leaving

If so, It's a voluntary tax, what can possibly be wrong with that?