Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Countdown to Powerball in Florida

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 8 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

In Florida Powerball starts Jan 4th Draws Jan 7th

Can't wait to play [ 6 ]  [11.54%]
Couldn't care less [ 7 ]  [13.46%]
Will ruin Florida 6/53 Lotto [ 4 ]  [7.69%]
Will bring joy to lottery players [ 6 ]  [11.54%]
Ho Ho Hum Bug [ 1 ]  [1.92%]
If only they hadn't raised the matrix [ 13 ]  [25.00%]
I'll play and I'll win you'll see [ 7 ]  [13.46%]
I'll only play when the prize is huge [ 2 ]  [3.85%]
I've been waiting for PB for years [ 2 ]  [3.85%]
Rather it was Mega Millions [ 4 ]  [7.69%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
Dump Water Florida
United States
Member #380
June 5, 2002
3114 Posts
Posted: December 15, 2008, 11:25 pm - IP Logged

In Florida Powerball tickets go on sale Jan 4th and the first draw is Jan 7th how much does this matter to you?  Even if you are in another PB state the game matrix is raised because Florida was added.   Is that fair or just a way to grow the prize now that so many more people will be playing?

BobP

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: December 16, 2008, 12:24 am - IP Logged

For me, I am basically done with Powerball. I am not happy about the matrix change. I know there are people who are apparently happy with the thought of more 200 million and 300 million dollar jackpots, but I can't see why one would be happy to see the odds of the game going up. It's hard enough as it is to win anything in the first place (and that includes lower prizes), so now we get more numbers? I think it sucks.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: December 16, 2008, 12:29 am - IP Logged

I think I'll stick to the games I already play in Florida.  I already spend too much as it is.   I think the odds of winning are way too high. 

Stew12's avatar - bad egg-64x64.png
        CT
        United States
        Member #61398
        May 21, 2008
        781 Posts
        Posted: December 16, 2008, 12:41 am - IP Logged

I'm more excited about the drop in PB's than I am discouraged at the raise in WB's.

I'm fine with winning the jackpot minimum though.

Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #68215
          December 15, 2008
          21 Posts
          Posted: December 16, 2008, 12:50 am - IP Logged

It isn't that bad, but in a way it is because the odds are insane so now its going to be harder to win with another state added and white balls add and PB's removed. I will still play though. I must win! Big Grin

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1958 Posts
            Posted: December 16, 2008, 2:40 am - IP Logged

I will win.

Gonna win.Big Smile

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
              Member #32537
              February 12, 2006
              698 Posts
              Posted: December 16, 2008, 4:55 am - IP Logged

maybe this current pb run wont be won before  the matrix change happens

that be something, 100 million plus jackpot, with new odds and more players,

it be a nice test to see how fast we can make this thing grow

sense more money per ticket will also go to the jackpot!

here to hoping new jackpot records for 2009!

the second prize level  will never be less than 5X with powerplay "1m in cash"

but their 1 issue with it

"In very rare instances, we may not be able to pay the stated set prizelevels (for example, if you all play the numbers from the TV show"LOST" and we draw those numbers). In that case, the prize pools willgo pari-mutuel (like the jackpot) and we will divide the prize poolamong all of the winners."

wtf, who sets the amount of winners to its pari-mutuel?

,and how big is this amount they make the prize pool in the first place when this happens?

i dont like it 1 bit

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                Member #60535
                April 21, 2008
                460 Posts
                Posted: December 16, 2008, 7:50 am - IP Logged

I think I'll stick to the games I already play in Florida.  I already spend too much as it is.   I think the odds of winning are way too high. 

+1

United States
                  Member #1826
                  July 11, 2003
                  2645 Posts
                  Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:28 am - IP Logged

What I'm looking forward to most is how the drawings are going to change. Lotto and Mega Money will be held at the same time as Fantasy 5 to make room for the Powerball drawings, which will the Florida Lottery will be conducting from 1/7/09 on. I will miss Mike Pace though.

(insert signature here)

United States
                    Member #58528
                    February 18, 2008
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: December 16, 2008, 8:36 am - IP Logged

I hope they still use live dropped balls & don't go to RNG's.I hope the drawing is still televised here in Iowa and I hope they replace Mike Pace with someone easier on the eyes (female).

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10392 Posts
                      Posted: December 16, 2008, 10:15 am - IP Logged

I'll never understand the 'sharks in a feeding frenzy'  reaction to a Multi-state lottery ading another state (except for those who live in the new state and will get a chance to play).

All expansion of the game does is make a game with already astronomical odds have even more astronomical odds.

There should be laws about only being allowed to expand a matrix so much.

Granted, with the new PB matrix one side of the game will be reduced, but watch what happens to the odds against hiting the jackpot.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #58528
                        February 18, 2008
                        710 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2008, 11:37 am - IP Logged

I'll never understand the 'sharks in a feeding frenzy'  reaction to a Multi-state lottery ading another state (except for those who live in the new state and will get a chance to play).

All expansion of the game does is make a game with already astronomical odds have even more astronomical odds.

There should be laws about only being allowed to expand a matrix so much.

Granted, with the new PB matrix one side of the game will be reduced, but watch what happens to the odds against hiting the jackpot.

I Agree! But I do like the fact that if you get all 5 white balls and you chose the power play option you win a million dollars and there is no annuity on it.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                          Member #32537
                          February 12, 2006
                          698 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2008, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! But I do like the fact that if you get all 5 white balls and you chose the power play option you win a million dollars and there is no annuity on it.

onless 70+  plus others do to, and you have to share via a prize pool,

od forbid in 1 draw ever few years they ever have to pay up to 70+ or more winners on the 2nd prize level

they know its a ticking time bomb waiting to happen

so they dealing with such a event before it even happens

, by giving them selfs a  loophole

its a cop out by pb ,

they always make a profit, so just pay up when a famous set of numbers gets hit you greedy beeps

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2008, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

onless 70+  plus others do to, and you have to share via a prize pool,

od forbid in 1 draw ever few years they ever have to pay up to 70+ or more winners on the 2nd prize level

they know its a ticking time bomb waiting to happen

so they dealing with such a event before it even happens

, by giving them selfs a  loophole

its a cop out by pb ,

they always make a profit, so just pay up when a famous set of numbers gets hit you greedy beeps

Now I'm confused.  I thought the $1 million for the second prize was a lump sum and it wasn't split.  Is this the way it is with Powerball?   I never realized 2nd prizes were split.   AFAIK if you get 5 white balls you automatically win a million bucks (less tax)

BTW, expect a few people to win in FL because of the population.   I'm expecting some people to post "conspiracy theory" type comments when this happens, but FL is the 4th most populous state next to CA, TX and NY.  During the busy season, the population in some areas doubles.   So it won't surprise me to see a couple of million dollar winners in FL, especially from January-March. 

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10392 Posts
                              Posted: December 16, 2008, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

Justx said:

"BTW, expect a few people to win in FL because of the population.   I'mexpecting some people to post "conspiracy theory" type comments whenthis happens, but FL is the 4th most populous state next to CA, TX andNY.  During the busy season, the population in some areas doubles.   Soit won't surprise me to see a couple of million dollar winners in FL,especially from January-March. "

This is all news radio, Miami.

After the lottery drawing we will play the new hit by JustX and the Singing Gators, "I've Got the A Snowbird Just Won the Powerball Jackpot Blues"...

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.