Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Countdown to Powerball in Florida

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 8 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

In Florida Powerball starts Jan 4th Draws Jan 7th

Can't wait to play [ 6 ]  [11.54%]
Couldn't care less [ 7 ]  [13.46%]
Will ruin Florida 6/53 Lotto [ 4 ]  [7.69%]
Will bring joy to lottery players [ 6 ]  [11.54%]
Ho Ho Hum Bug [ 1 ]  [1.92%]
If only they hadn't raised the matrix [ 13 ]  [25.00%]
I'll play and I'll win you'll see [ 7 ]  [13.46%]
I'll only play when the prize is huge [ 2 ]  [3.85%]
I've been waiting for PB for years [ 2 ]  [3.85%]
Rather it was Mega Millions [ 4 ]  [7.69%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
Gurnee, Illinois
United States
Member #49731
February 12, 2007
919 Posts
Posted: December 30, 2008, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

I sense that 2009 is my year, so it doesn't matter how they change PB.  Heck, I even dropped the extra buck or two on the Florida Lotto's new increase the jackpot scheme a couple of times (when I happened to be passing through Florida).

Right now, I have a buck riding on future draws for PB (until this Saturday, then I will play max advance play...will seriously consider powerplay now that 2nd tier prize is guaranteed $1M before taxes), MM, Florida Lotto, and Illinois Lotto (it is now at $25M...takes a long time to get big, but that just means that it is winnable...hopefully I will win it this Wednesday!).  Depending on the jackpot amount (larger than normal lotto jackpots and at least $30M cash value of PB/MM), I will buy a few extra tickets if I don't particularly feel the vibe with my current play (and my current advance play for MM is very unlikely to win...just my thought, but hey I could be wrong...and that would be okay by me!).  But I won't break the bank as I am working to sock as much money in buying more mutual fund shares in this current down market...it is kind of like buying on deep discount and then seeing people months later scurrying to buy that same product at regular price...hmmm, as you all know, NO ONE does that...everyone scurries to the stores for the deep discounts and stay at home when they raise the prices back to normal, but in the investment market, most people do the exact opposite in that they stay on the sidelines or jump out when stocks are selling at a deep discount like now and then they rush back in when prices return to normal prices).

Well, here's to a buck winning in 2009.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #61435
    May 22, 2008
    910 Posts
    Posted: December 30, 2008, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

I'm gonna keep playing the Fl Lottery and Powerball.  

Come on big winner!!! Daddy needs a new pair of shoes.   I also plan on helping many people less fortunate than me.  Sun Smiley

Here's info from the Fl Lottery website:

Starting in January, America’s game will be available in Florida! With jackpots starting at $20 million and increasing with each rollover, POWERBALL® offers players the chance to win BIG for just $1 per play. And, for an additional $1, players can multiply their non-jackpot winnings by two, three, four or five times with Power Play®! So remember Florida, you have to THINK BIG TO WIN BIG!

HOW TO PLAY

Beginning on January 4, 2009, pick up a POWERBALL playslip at an authorized Florida Lottery retailer. To find a retailer near you, click here. Each playslip contains five panels (A-E), allowing you to play up to five plays (one play per panel). In each panel:

link to POWERBALL Animated Instructions1. Select five numbers from 1 through 59 in the upper play area, or mark the QP (Quick Pick) box and let the terminal randomly pick some or all of your numbers.

2. Select your Powerball number from 1 through 39 in the lower play area, or mark the QP (Quick Pick) box for the terminal to randomly select your Powerball number.

3. To multiply your winnings on non-jackpot prizes, select the Power Play box. Power Play costs $1 more per play. Please Note: The Power Play box applies to all panels and Quick Picks played on the playslip.

4. To play the same numbers for more than one draw, select the number of draws you want to play in the Advance Play section of your playslip or tell the retailer how many advance draws you wish to play. 

5. Review your selections carefully. POWERBALL tickets cannot be cancelled.

6. Give your completed playslip and payment to the retailer ($1 per play for POWERBALL, or $2 per play for POWERBALL with Power Play). You will receive a ticket printed with your numbers, draw date(s), and indicating whether your ticket is a Power Play.

7.  Check the official drawing results to see if you're a winner! Draw results are available on this Web site, at authorized Florida Lottery retailers and at (850) 921-PLAY (7529).

Beginning on Wednesday, January 7, 2009, POWERBALL drawings will be held on Wednesday and Saturday nights at 10:59 p.m., Eastern Time.

image of POWERBALL playslip

Power Play

Power Play is a special feature that allows players to multiply their non-jackpot winnings by two, three, four or five times the original prize amount! A player must choose the Power Play option on his/her POWERBALL playslip or tell the retailer that he/she wishes to purchase a Power Play ticket. POWERBALL with Power Play tickets cost an additional $1 per play.

The Power Play multiplier number is selected at random, from 2 through 5, before each drawing. If a player matches 5-of-5 winning numbers (“match 5”), the player wins $1 million (the match 5 prize multiplied by 5). If he/she matches any of the other non-jackpot winning number combinations, he/she wins an amount equal to the original prize amount multiplied by the multiplier that was randomly selected at the start of the drawing.

image of POWERBALL Prize Structure

Match 5 Bonus

Whenever the POWERBALL jackpot reaches a new record level, the amount of the jackpot prize will increase by up to $25 million per draw. The jackpot prize allocation in excess of what is required to fund the $25 million annuitized increase will be placed into a Match 5 Bonus prize pool and will accumulate until there is a jackpot winner. When the jackpot is won, the Match 5 Bonus prize pool will be divided equally among all match 5 winners for that draw. The Match 5 Bonus prize is in addition to any Power Play prizes won. POWERBALL match 5 winners will win $200,000 plus their share of the Match 5 Bonus prize. POWERBALL with Power Play match 5 winners will win $1 million (the match 5 prize multiplied by 5) plus their share of the Match 5 Bonus prize.

If there are no match 5 winners in a drawing when the new high jackpot is won, the Match 5 Bonus prize pool will be shared equally by the winners of the next prize level (4-of-5 plus Powerball)

HOW TO WIN

The Multi-State Lottery Association (MUSL) will hold official POWERBALL drawings in which five out of 59 numbers (white balls) and a Powerball number between 1 and 39 (red ball) will be drawn at random. There are nine ways to win POWERBALL prizes by matching the winning numbers drawn in the official drawing for the date played. Match all five numbers plus the Powerball to win the jackpot or match any of the non-jackpot-winning combinations to win other great cash prizes!

All POWERBALL prizes are set payouts, except the jackpot. The jackpot prize will be shared among winners in all POWERBALL states. The jackpot will be paid in 30 annual payments or a one-time cash payment of a reduced amount. If there is no jackpot winner, the money in the jackpot pool rolls over to the next POWERBALL drawing.

All POWERBALL prizes must be claimed in the state where the ticket was purchased. POWERBALL prizes must be claimed within 180 days after the winning draw date. Federal income taxes will be withheld from POWERBALL prizes as required by the Internal Revenue Code at the time payments are made. Any additional federal, state and/or local taxes shall be the responsibility of the winner. Prizes of up to $1 million may be claimed at a Florida Lottery district office. Prizes of more than $1 million must be claimed at Lottery Headquarters in Tallahassee. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19904 Posts
      Posted: January 18, 2009, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Now that the PB jackpot has had its first win since the matrix change and adding Florida and it wasn't in Florida, players can stop worrying about Floridians winning a jackpot that they had not fully contributed to.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2009, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

In Florida Powerball tickets go on sale Jan 4th and the first draw is Jan 7th how much does this matter to you?  Even if you are in another PB state the game matrix is raised because Florida was added.   Is that fair or just a way to grow the prize now that so many more people will be playing?

BobP

So much for the matrix change meaning much.  Just like that, BINGO ! we have a Jackpot winner.

Still the same as before D@mn the odds and full speed ahead....if you have the winning combination, you have the winning combination.  If its meant to be...well...just ask the Arizona Cardinals !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19904 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2009, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

So much for the matrix change meaning much.  Just like that, BINGO ! we have a Jackpot winner.

Still the same as before D@mn the odds and full speed ahead....if you have the winning combination, you have the winning combination.  If its meant to be...well...just ask the Arizona Cardinals !

One thing the matrix change did is make PowerBall one up on MegaMillions with a minimum jackpot of $20M while MM starts at $12M and has to roll a couple of times before reaching that amount.  I wouldn't be surprised if MM doesn't find a reason to change its matrix and change the starting jackpot. 

Evil Looking       

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2009, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

One thing the matrix change did is make PowerBall one up on MegaMillions with a minimum jackpot of $20M while MM starts at $12M and has to roll a couple of times before reaching that amount.  I wouldn't be surprised if MM doesn't find a reason to change its matrix and change the starting jackpot. 

My state is a PB state, but to me, what's the difference?  Minimum jp 12M or 20M, if I would hit it I could live the rest of my life quite nicely on either of those cash value. I'm not looking to change the world, just live easy.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2009, 12:08 am - IP Logged

I also wouldn't be surprised. In fact, I would be stunned if they didn't change the matrix. I am guessing there have been talks going on with TPTB to up the matrix with MM.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: January 19, 2009, 5:11 am - IP Logged

Now that the PB jackpot has had its first win since the matrix change and adding Florida and it wasn't in Florida, players can stop worrying about Floridians winning a jackpot that they had not fully contributed to.

Yeah, but what if it was somebody who didn't play until it got over $150 million, or somebody who never bought a ticket until now? Worrying that it might have been somebody from Florida was a  completely pointless exercise, regardless of the eventual outcome.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1958 Posts
                  Posted: January 19, 2009, 5:38 am - IP Logged

I can't believe so many people are concerned about which state contributes what. It's the lottery. Everybody is after the jackpot. I'm sure if someone in Florida won the jackpot, they wouldn't care about how much other states contributed.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19904 Posts
                    Posted: January 19, 2009, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Yeah, but what if it was somebody who didn't play until it got over $150 million, or somebody who never bought a ticket until now? Worrying that it might have been somebody from Florida was a  completely pointless exercise, regardless of the eventual outcome.

I've read posts of members who were concerned about that too but the way I look at it each drawing is new and what you did or didn't do in earlier drawings doesn't matter.

Evil Looking