Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Pool/Club

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 8 years ago by lottomania.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
Harbinger
D.C./MD.
United States
Member #44103
July 30, 2006
5587 Posts
Posted: January 19, 2009, 10:36 am - IP Logged

This is what I got hammered for a couple of years ago, and BobP and Todd in an off way, kinda agree with me, although then it was a strict mathematical discussion.   If you are talking strictly about odds,  then the more tix the better.  But if you expect to "Win" the jackpot, the number of lines played must approach the number of possible combos,  simple as that,  your actual odds of "Hitting" the top prize is not going to get much better unless your number of lines starts approaching that number of possible combos, to get from 1/15000 to say 1/10 takes a lot of tickeys and even then it is just that, 1 in 10 not heads or tails. 

Group Hug

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23349 Posts
    Posted: January 19, 2009, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

This is what I got hammered for a couple of years ago, and BobP and Todd in an off way, kinda agree with me, although then it was a strict mathematical discussion.   If you are talking strictly about odds,  then the more tix the better.  But if you expect to "Win" the jackpot, the number of lines played must approach the number of possible combos,  simple as that,  your actual odds of "Hitting" the top prize is not going to get much better unless your number of lines starts approaching that number of possible combos, to get from 1/15000 to say 1/10 takes a lot of tickeys and even then it is just that, 1 in 10 not heads or tails. 

Group Hug

Yes, I also constantly try to set the record straight.  There is a big difference between mathematical odds of winning and the realistic chances of winning.

Both 1 in 100,000,000 and 1 in 10,000,000 are extremely difficult/rare to win, with little difference as far as your realistic chances of winning. 

At the same time, it drives me nuts when people say buying 10 tickets does not lower your odds from 1 in 100,000,000 to 1 in 10,000,000, as if I'd suddenly said that it was pretty easy to win.  They say, "No, it's 10 in 100,000,000!"  I say, "No kidding!  <-(Was going to insert different word there.)  Guess what?  That means 1 in 10,000,000!"

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Think's avatar - lightbulb
      Marquette, MI
      United States
      Member #20541
      August 20, 2005
      710 Posts
      Posted: January 19, 2009, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I also constantly try to set the record straight.  There is a big difference between mathematical odds of winning and the realistic chances of winning.

Both 1 in 100,000,000 and 1 in 10,000,000 are extremely difficult/rare to win, with little difference as far as your realistic chances of winning. 

At the same time, it drives me nuts when people say buying 10 tickets does not lower your odds from 1 in 100,000,000 to 1 in 10,000,000, as if I'd suddenly said that it was pretty easy to win.  They say, "No, it's 10 in 100,000,000!"  I say, "No kidding!  <-(Was going to insert different word there.)  Guess what?  That means 1 in 10,000,000!"

Don't forget that  there are 99,999,999 jackpot losing numbers  in the 100,000,000 game while in a 1 in 10,000,000 game there are 9,999,999 jackpot losing  numbers or
      99,999,999 -9,999,999 = 90,000,000 more losing numbers in the 1 in 100,000,000 game!

Put another way, imagine a square of 10,000,000 numbers
      and a square of 100,000,000 numbers .
      You could also imagine the 100,000,000 numbers to be 10 squares of 10,000,000 numbers just to make things easier.

Now  you  know that before the drawing that the winning numbers will be in one of those 10 areas in the 100 mil game.  If you distribute your 10 tickets so that you have one pick in each square you are good to go.  What if you clump your 10 tickets in less then 10 squares ?

Anyway, the point being it is easier to miss the winning number when there are 90,000,000 more losing numbers whether you have 10 tickets or 100!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
        Harbinger
        D.C./MD.
        United States
        Member #44103
        July 30, 2006
        5587 Posts
        Posted: January 19, 2009, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Don't forget that  there are 99,999,999 jackpot losing numbers  in the 100,000,000 game while in a 1 in 10,000,000 game there are 9,999,999 jackpot losing  numbers or
        99,999,999 -9,999,999 = 90,000,000 more losing numbers in the 1 in 100,000,000 game!

Put another way, imagine a square of 10,000,000 numbers
        and a square of 100,000,000 numbers .
        You could also imagine the 100,000,000 numbers to be 10 squares of 10,000,000 numbers just to make things easier.

Now  you  know that before the drawing that the winning numbers will be in one of those 10 areas in the 100 mil game.  If you distribute your 10 tickets so that you have one pick in each square you are good to go.  What if you clump your 10 tickets in less then 10 squares ?

Anyway, the point being it is easier to miss the winning number when there are 90,000,000 more losing numbers whether you have 10 tickets or 100!

If the possible set of combinations are in an ordered set......,  but each draw includes the entire set (the large square) not several squares of separately defined ordered subsets. 

It is more like an active 3D matrix of possible combos, rolling around,  following the laws of randomness or quantum-like possibilties when the balls are drawn.

White Bounce

United States
          Member #67870
          December 7, 2008
          154 Posts
          Posted: January 19, 2009, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

The odds of losing are way too high.

I like the supermarket example, and it is actually even worse, your county may not even have the winner.  In the case of Mega and Powerball, your state may not even have the winner.  No one on the planet wins every now and then, on the Mega and Power games. 

If playing a thousand tickets on a game, it is even hard to win Virginia's cash5 game (5 in 34 game), your odds of winning are 1:278 .  If you buy a thousand Va. cash5 tickets, there are still 277,256 possible combinations that could cause you to lose.

But I still recommend cash5 over Mega and Power games,  one man in Va. bought a few cash5 tickets w/the same number, and gave his kids one each and they all won!  You can win a million on cash5, just pay $10 a ticket.

cheers and gl

tdempsey's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
            Atlanta, GA
            United States
            Member #3480
            January 24, 2004
            51 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2009, 12:36 am - IP Logged

Bobp,

I'm not sure if I understand your post. Any single ticket has the same odds of winning as the others. If you buy ticket A, the odds may be 1:13M - and when you buy the second ticket B the odds are still 1:13M - even using the same numbers as ticket A. And the odds played for 1-2-3-4-5-6 is the same - but not a ticket I would not really want unless you are playing the flukes.

The goal is to buy as many tickets as possible in a logical fashion to increase the chances of hitting the jackpot.

1) There are obviously many sets of numbers that would not be picked in a 100 years - like 1-2-3-4-5-6. As well as even/odd combinations and 50/50. All even or odd  numbers do happen but are very uncommon. The flukes happen as we know - but we could still make smaller amounts.

2) There a several statistical issues/methods to consider - and I have over 30. Way to many but doable if split into different sets of plays.

I plan to have a variety of risk factors named for Team(s) to play where if you don't like one - you can choose another. It will most likely follow an investment fund portfolio to determine your risk and return.

In my opinion, we are not changing the odds of winning a specific number - but rather covering ourselves using scientific rules and filters to "increase the odds of winng" and increase return.

I agree with you last statement - but the difference here is we will know what we are doing and monitor results to make changes in the future.

Tom Dempsey 

Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #3480
              January 24, 2004
              51 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2009, 12:43 am - IP Logged

Play on your own.  The difference in odds is negligible...........and the lack of headaches is priceless. 

I disagree.

Atlanta, GA
                United States
                Member #3480
                January 24, 2004
                51 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2009, 12:58 am - IP Logged

The odds of winning a 649 games are 1:13,983,816.  If you've managed to reduce your odds of winning a jackpot to 1:15,000 then you and your pool buddies are buying a thousand tickets per drawing.  If you're buying that many tickets per drawing your odds of winning are going to improve significantly whether you're in a pool or not.

Exactly!!!

And when you add statistical analysys and duplicate checking - your chances of winning are vastly increased. I do not know the formula but will look it up this week.

My initial guess is you subtract the odds down from the number of tickets played to get the new odds of winning the jackpot.

So for the 649 games with odds 1:13,983,816 - buying 1000 tickets would change the odds of winning  to 1: 13,982,816.

But the real question is how to you quantify the filtering processes to calculate the true odds of the ticket winning? (I have an idea)

Tom Dempsey

Atlanta, GA
                  United States
                  Member #3480
                  January 24, 2004
                  51 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2009, 1:03 am - IP Logged

That's just the point!

By splitting a large jackpot so many ways, there is no point to wait, and there's no point to playing with other people.  Your risk-to-reward ratio is no better!

In other words, just go ahead and not only play solo, but do so on low drawings and high drawings.  You're in more drawings, improving your chances of a hit, and when you hit you're not sharing with anyone else.

I know that concept can be hard to wrap your head around, but because you're dealing with such large numbers and slim odds, it's a different ballgame.

Not many people have that much money in the volume needed to cover the draws. That is the purpose of a pool.

I agree there are smaller startegies that help but your odds of winning area much lower than a large pool. I also real the statistic of quick picks vs systems is arounf 50/50.

Of course, you could always do both and play solo and with a group. I think the odds of winning would be exponetial.

Tom Dempsey 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                    MD
                    United States
                    Member #1701
                    June 18, 2003
                    8392 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2009, 1:05 am - IP Logged

Pools are a great place to swim but for playing the lottery they can be a nightmare there are numerous news story's of pools gone bad members disputing winnings disbursing and members who were absent claiming they had a stake in the win etc.etc.

A ten person pool is great for pots above 150 million anything else is a waste. After taxes will people really be happy a year after they win or will they be miffed because the didn't win more.

I have been in many pools over the years when the jackpot got above 200 million and 10 of us put up 20 bucks each the biggest win was like 47 bucks.

You can buy 10,000 tickets and only win a few bucks. More tickets don't mean you'll win a jackpot.

If you have a system that works on paper save you money for the right jackpot and go for it.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                      Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #3480
                      January 24, 2004
                      51 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2009, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Pools are a great place to swim but for playing the lottery they can be a nightmare there are numerous news story's of pools gone bad members disputing winnings disbursing and members who were absent claiming they had a stake in the win etc.etc.

A ten person pool is great for pots above 150 million anything else is a waste. After taxes will people really be happy a year after they win or will they be miffed because the didn't win more.

I have been in many pools over the years when the jackpot got above 200 million and 10 of us put up 20 bucks each the biggest win was like 47 bucks.

You can buy 10,000 tickets and only win a few bucks. More tickets don't mean you'll win a jackpot.

If you have a system that works on paper save you money for the right jackpot and go for it.

Always good points above - but if the rules are spelled out and signed up front there should be no issues.

And the goal is to have a very trusted pool with a very clean reputation. I asked for suggestions in this area on this board but was shot down. 

My pool is going forward and I feel I have a very good plan for trust and building a strong reputation. I also have some amazing game options coming up.

Without pure luck to win, the only option is a scientific covering system with MANY, MANY plays.

Remember, we should also be playing the Lottery for fun and enjoyment - as well as reaching for that jackpot.

Tom Dempsey

PS This is also a chance to create a fun online community for interaction since the team members will be working together to some degree.

Germany
                        Member #63084
                        July 18, 2008
                        6 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2009, 6:59 am - IP Logged

the best way to win the lotto 6/49 or any other , you must play ALL the numbers. now can you afford that?

in a 6/49  lottery  to  guarrantee  AT LEAST a one 3 MATCH ticket  playing ALL  the numbers you need 163 combinations( tickets).

this is the best wheel record i know.

will it be worth to invest?

Germany
                          Member #63084
                          July 18, 2008
                          6 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2009, 7:11 am - IP Logged

the best way to win the lotto 6/49 or any other , you must play ALL the numbers. now can you afford that?

in a 6/49  lottery  to  guarrantee  AT LEAST a one 3 MATCH ticket  playing ALL  the numbers you need 163 combinations( tickets).

this is the best wheel record i know.

will it be worth to invest?

and for a 5 MATCH   guaranteed  ticket playing ALL the 49 numbers you need this:

Total Price329754€

Numbers (49)12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 2728 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49
                          Guarantees                5/6       

219836 tickets to hit 100%00  a 5

this is my record 6/49  a 5 in 6 guarantee (100%)

the price is for german lotto 6/49

Malaga
                            Spain
                            Member #70697
                            February 9, 2009
                            2 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2009, 7:52 am - IP Logged

sounds interesting!

Germany
                              Member #63084
                              July 18, 2008
                              6 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2009, 8:30 am - IP Logged

Only to inform you this system going for a 5 in 6 100%  playing all the 49 numbers  has HIT THE JACKPOT 2 times last month matching a 6.

because 5 in 6 is 100% guaranteed AT LEAST 1 times but my records found out some times 4x5.

last saturday draw the system matched :422x 3 match

3 x 5 match and 49x4

a 5 Match in german lotto pays at least 2000-3000 euro)