Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

GIGABALL, with average jackpots of over a BILLION dollars, but the odds to match?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 8 years ago by DC81.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

What about a lottery with average jackpots over a BILLION dollars, but 1 in 2,074,171,176 odds?

I'd play it regularly. That's a lot of money. [ 12 ]  [30.00%]
I'd play it sometimes, when the jackpot is big. [ 15 ]  [37.50%]
No, I would never buy tickets for that game. [ 13 ]  [32.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
TotallyDavis's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
North Charleston, SC
United States
Member #69214
January 6, 2009
45 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

Imagine this: A national lottery is rolled out.

A lottery with a starting jackpot of $200,000,000.  Now that's a *starting* jackpot of $200 million, and it will only grow from there.

You see, in this lottery game you select 5 white balls from 1 to 99.  You then select one Gigaball from 1 to 29.

You then have 1 in 2,074,171,176 odds of winning the jackpot.  Just like other big jackpot games, there are other prizes too, ranging from a small prize for matching just the gigaball to something like $5,000,000 or $10,000,000 for five white balls, but no gigaball.

At those odds, the average jackpot, when won, will amount to well over a billion dollars (though it could take an entire year for someone to win a jackpot, but what a run up).  After taxes you'd still have an ungodly amount of money.

Would you play?  Or would the sheer odds put you off?  Remember, just like the Powerball and Mega Millions, somebody's gotta win....

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
    Member #9517
    December 10, 2004
    1272 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2009, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

I would play a couple of lines on every draw just to be in the game. It's a waste spending money playing expensive systems on this lottery.

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2009, 8:53 pm - IP Logged

How much are the tickets?

TotallyDavis's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
        North Charleston, SC
        United States
        Member #69214
        January 6, 2009
        45 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2009, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

Oh, the tickets are $1.00 apiece, just like any other regular lottery.

United States
          Member #58528
          February 18, 2008
          710 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2009, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

Oh, the tickets are $1.00 apiece, just like any other regular lottery.

$1.00 dollar won't even buy a nickle candy bar anymore.The only thing it will buy these days is a lottery ticket so I guess I would buy one per drawing.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2009, 1:35 am - IP Logged

No, I would not play this.

Some people think the lotteries as they are now are rigged.

The one proposed here wouldn't have to be rigged, players wouldn't have a chance. They might as well skip the formailty of playing a ticket and send the dollar straight to the lottery with a note that says, "Take my dollar, I can't stand having it."

Any state or group of states that would allow such a game shouldn't be allowed to have a lottery.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2009, 3:03 am - IP Logged

Sure, I'd play $1 per draw just to be in it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3474 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2009, 3:13 am - IP Logged

Of course players would have a chance. In a lot of ways, it wouldn't even be much worse than PB or MM. Unrealistic is unrealistic, after all. As long as you only risk $1, you're really not taking much of a risk.

That said, I'd be interested to see how a game like that fared. The biggest sales PB or MM have ever seen is "only" about 212 million tickets. Even if there were no duplicates, that would mean only a 10% chance of a winner. Nobody knows what would happen with an advertised prize in the billion dollar range, but I'd guess that it would be rare for sales to reach a point where there was more than a 20 to 25% chance of a winner. That could result in a lot of long runs, so that prizes well over $1 billion could be common.

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2009, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

i sure will like to see it...I mean i'lll like to see this happen bad...Because then people are going to start making movies about it and it will  be the talk of the town...

Then people will beging buying supercomputers and you are going to see all kinds of prediction websites pop up....

But i don't think 1 dollar per ticket will do it....More like 3 dollars per ticket which is what i am afraid of...But still there will be so much excitement...Just to see the billboard signs with the 400 million jackpot or 600 million jackpot...LOL...

for i am hoping to see several movies about the lottery...

I hope they do it....I also hope they keep the range of the bonus ball to 1-29 or 1-32...

i also hope they pay like 300,000 for 4/5 + bonus ball...after all you are looking at the percentage of increase of the jackpot...

what i don't want them to do is raise the prize of each tickets to 3 dollars...2 dollars is fine...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: January 23, 2009, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

i sure will like to see it...I mean i'lll like to see this happen bad...Because then people are going to start making movies about it and it will  be the talk of the town...

Then people will beging buying supercomputers and you are going to see all kinds of prediction websites pop up....

But i don't think 1 dollar per ticket will do it....More like 3 dollars per ticket which is what i am afraid of...But still there will be so much excitement...Just to see the billboard signs with the 400 million jackpot or 600 million jackpot...LOL...

for i am hoping to see several movies about the lottery...

I hope they do it....I also hope they keep the range of the bonus ball to 1-29 or 1-32...

i also hope they pay like 300,000 for 4/5 + bonus ball...after all you are looking at the percentage of increase of the jackpot...

what i don't want them to do is raise the prize of each tickets to 3 dollars...2 dollars is fine...

I really wish they increase it, i am begging them for them to do it....That way it will shut up people that think they are better than you or smarter than you or whatever...I really wish they do it...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                      Member #52345
                      May 21, 2007
                      2659 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2009, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

Sure, I'd play $1 per draw just to be in it.

I Agree!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                        Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: January 24, 2009, 1:40 am - IP Logged

this gigaball your describing will be the way powerball is about seven or eight years from now.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #56506
                          November 21, 2007
                          6537 Posts
                          Posted: January 24, 2009, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

Honestly, I don't believe I would play. It may be a lot of money, but the odds would be horrible. I'd rather put my money on games I have a chance of winning. (And yeah I know at the moment I throw a couple of bucks at Powerball, but I don't know how long I'll be doing that.)

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2009, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

Sure. I'm in. Cool

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                              San Jose, California
                              United States
                              Member #42003
                              June 26, 2006
                              206 Posts
                              Posted: January 30, 2009, 2:26 am - IP Logged

The U.S. will have rains of multi-millionaires.