Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery clubs

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 8 years ago by tdempsey.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #58528
February 18, 2008
710 Posts
Posted: February 10, 2009, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

I could not agree more with this post.  There will always be that one person who hangs around, contributes nothing ( no ideas, no money, no time, no effort ) but when another member wins the jackpot, will want his "fair share".  You can try to protect yourself as much as you want but you will never protect yourself enough.  Therefore, play on your own; win on your own.

I Agree! People do strange things when money is involved.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23267 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2009, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Its no big deal, thats why i said any lottery clubs maybe ppl on here might recommend, not joining just through google with who ever. Seems like members have been on here a long time and might be more trustworthy then most new places. I didn't mean to start a controversey, lol...Of course i know family and friends are safer, if you have enough who want to participate. And just because its online, does not mean each and every one of us are crooks. There are bad ppl as well as good online, so you can't say all lotto pools are scams. I really didn't post this as a debate or advice, i'm a big girl, i don't need advice on what to stay away from.  I just asked a simple question, any one know of any good lotto clubs.

I did not mean to insult your intelligence or to imply that you could not watch out for yourself.  It's just that since you're new here and I don't know you yet, I thought it better to provide all the information I could. 

Many people who post similar questions to yours have no clue about the dangers that await them if they join a web site claiming to buy lottery tickets.  They will spend $1,000 or more on lottery tickets and have no idea that they are not actually playing the lottery.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

yeahman's avatar - radar
      nassau bahamas
      Bahamas
      Member #67421
      November 25, 2008
      60 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2009, 11:30 am - IP Logged

hey I don't mind getting the website name , information is not too much. [rockwell]

Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23267 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2009, 11:36 am - IP Logged

hey I don't mind getting the website name , information is not too much. [rockwell]

It is a commercial web site and cannot be posted on the forums.

Jack-C's avatar - us
          San Diego, CA
          United States
          Member #61467
          May 24, 2008
          28146 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2009, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

From USPS Publication 300a, Page 9:

Except for state-owned and -operated lotteries, federal law prohibits sending lottery material through the mail.

When you read the federal law, you will find that that includes tickets, money, or offers to sell lottery tickets.  Technically, if your brother that lives across town from you sends you a dollar to buy a ticket for him, he just broke a federal law. 

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23267 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2009, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Except for state-owned and -operated lotteries, federal law prohibits sending lottery material through the mail.

When you read the federal law, you will find that that includes tickets, money, or offers to sell lottery tickets.  Technically, if your brother that lives across town from you sends you a dollar to buy a ticket for him, he just broke a federal law. 

I agree, and a federal law adds to that, by not allowing the sending of gambling materials using a common carrier — which means FedEx, UPS, etc.

tdempsey's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #3480
              January 24, 2004
              51 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2009, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

I believe this law is intended to stop people from selling lootery tickets by mail for a profit. No actual tickets will be mailed - only scans.

A lotto club would be handled by a few people locally and only money is transferred.

I will be talking to the Florida Lottery people next week to find out the dos and don'ts. I can't believe a lottery club would violate gambling laws since the games are legal in the states where the tickets are bought - and no one is making money off the club by charging a premium.

One question I have for the Lottery officials is the issues of donations. I can see small donations to the club for printer ink and web hosting - and it would be a very small donation.

Cheers!

Tom Dempsey

Pensacola, FL

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23267 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2009, 8:25 am - IP Logged

I believe this law is intended to stop people from selling lootery tickets by mail for a profit. No actual tickets will be mailed - only scans.

A lotto club would be handled by a few people locally and only money is transferred.

I will be talking to the Florida Lottery people next week to find out the dos and don'ts. I can't believe a lottery club would violate gambling laws since the games are legal in the states where the tickets are bought - and no one is making money off the club by charging a premium.

One question I have for the Lottery officials is the issues of donations. I can see small donations to the club for printer ink and web hosting - and it would be a very small donation.

Cheers!

Tom Dempsey

Pensacola, FL

No, the law is not just about actual lottery tickets.  It forbids any type of printed materials promoting, arranging, or engaged in commerce of gambling.  Also, if the materials are being mailed across state lines, that's worse because it involves inter-state commerce.

Also, what you call "donations" are not seen in the eyes of the law in that manner, because they are directly related to the operation of your club.  They are paying for its operation.

I think you'll find that once you start investigating the actual legality vs. what people discuss and "think" the laws are, you may be in for a surprise.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                  San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #61467
                  May 24, 2008
                  28146 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2009, 8:41 am - IP Logged

No, the law is not just about actual lottery tickets.  It forbids any type of printed materials promoting, arranging, or engaged in commerce of gambling.  Also, if the materials are being mailed across state lines, that's worse because it involves inter-state commerce.

Also, what you call "donations" are not seen in the eyes of the law in that manner, because they are directly related to the operation of your club.  They are paying for its operation.

I think you'll find that once you start investigating the actual legality vs. what people discuss and "think" the laws are, you may be in for a surprise.

I Agree!

ShinerBockGirl's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                    San Antonio, Tx
                    United States
                    Member #62743
                    July 7, 2008
                    11 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2009, 9:41 am - IP Logged

I did not mean to insult your intelligence or to imply that you could not watch out for yourself.  It's just that since you're new here and I don't know you yet, I thought it better to provide all the information I could. 

Many people who post similar questions to yours have no clue about the dangers that await them if they join a web site claiming to buy lottery tickets.  They will spend $1,000 or more on lottery tickets and have no idea that they are not actually playing the lottery.

Oh no problem....I actually do research pretty good on sites before i participate in them...Yes i guess to win on your own is always great, but your odds are also not as good...I missed a chance of a lifetime years ago when a group of medical ppl i worked with did a group lotto, it was 50 ppl in it... I was on vacation and didn't participate in it, they hit the 649 jackpot, It was something like 15 million, then the next nite they actually got all 5 numbers on the cash 5....Now what are the odds of that...You want to talk about wanting to slit your throat...ROFL People from texas on here might have heard of them, they were plastered all over the newspapers from San Antonio...

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23267 Posts
                      Posted: February 12, 2009, 9:53 am - IP Logged

Oh no problem....I actually do research pretty good on sites before i participate in them...Yes i guess to win on your own is always great, but your odds are also not as good...I missed a chance of a lifetime years ago when a group of medical ppl i worked with did a group lotto, it was 50 ppl in it... I was on vacation and didn't participate in it, they hit the 649 jackpot, It was something like 15 million, then the next nite they actually got all 5 numbers on the cash 5....Now what are the odds of that...You want to talk about wanting to slit your throat...ROFL People from texas on here might have heard of them, they were plastered all over the newspapers from San Antonio...

See, your story actually helps point out why many people are opposed to playing in pools.  With 50 people in a pool, that $15 million jackpot, which is actually about $7.5 million in cash — but really about $5.25 million after taxes are withheld — amounts to $105,000 per person.

The reason people play the big lotto games is to win an amount so big that they will never have to worry about money again.

If you want to win $105,000, then you should just play the Cash 5 game, and if you do that — playing solo — your prize and odds are the same or better than those 50 people who played the big-jackpot game, and you won't be sued by people claiming that they own a share of your ticket.

There are many other reasons to avoid a pool, and they've been said before, but I'm mentioning that because I don't want to leave the impression that this is the only reason to avoid one.  It just happens to be a very clear-cut example.

Pools are fine for having some fun with friends, but they are NOT a good way to chase that dream of never working again. 

ShinerBockGirl's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                        San Antonio, Tx
                        United States
                        Member #62743
                        July 7, 2008
                        11 Posts
                        Posted: February 12, 2009, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Yes maybe for ppl wanting the big dream of 15 million themselves, but i am more then happy with $105,000....They all only pitched in $10, not a bad investment to win $105,000.....You wouldn't hear me complaining...And the cash 5 here in texas never gets that high, your lucky if it hits $75,000 and thats if no one else hits too at the same time...and how many tickets would you be able to risk losing $500 to purchase that many tickets yourself? So theres good and bad really on both ends...Would you be happy winning only $105,000, or would you rather chase the dream on your own and try for 15 millon yourself. Personally, i would be happy with $105,000....I rarely even play the 649 because of the odds, i stick with texas 2 step and the pick 3....If i dream of numbers i play them in the pick 3, won $2500 in one week from dreams. Recently saw 116 so i am hoping it might hit soon...

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                          Member #38687
                          May 3, 2006
                          315 Posts
                          Posted: February 12, 2009, 10:33 am - IP Logged

Family and "friends" are content to wait until you win. Then, they'll want to participate. Save yourself a headache; buy on your own, win on your own.

I Agree!

besides the post that Todd made.....this is the best advice.

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23267 Posts
                            Posted: February 12, 2009, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Yes maybe for ppl wanting the big dream of 15 million themselves, but i am more then happy with $105,000....They all only pitched in $10, not a bad investment to win $105,000.....You wouldn't hear me complaining...And the cash 5 here in texas never gets that high, your lucky if it hits $75,000 and thats if no one else hits too at the same time...and how many tickets would you be able to risk losing $500 to purchase that many tickets yourself? So theres good and bad really on both ends...Would you be happy winning only $105,000, or would you rather chase the dream on your own and try for 15 millon yourself. Personally, i would be happy with $105,000....I rarely even play the 649 because of the odds, i stick with texas 2 step and the pick 3....If i dream of numbers i play them in the pick 3, won $2500 in one week from dreams. Recently saw 116 so i am hoping it might hit soon...

$10 "invested" to win $105,000 is not good in lottery terms!

If you "invest" (hate using that word when talking about the lottery) $10 in Cash 5 in Texas, you'll have a better shot at winning, and even if the Cash 5 top prize is $50,000, you'll win $500,000 ($350,000 with taxes coming out), as opposed to winning $105,000 in that pool.

Again, a pool is fine from a social aspect -- it can be fun to play with a "team" of people you know -- but not from a risk/reward perspective.  (Which is a much better phrase than "investment" when speaking of the lottery, because the lottery -- gambling -- is not an investment.)

buttercake's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United Kingdom
                              Member #70550
                              February 5, 2009
                              120 Posts
                              Posted: February 12, 2009, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Like time*treat said its best to play by yourself, but if you feel you want to play with others then I would suggest picking a family member you trust with all your heart and play with that person.