$212 MILLION: largest Mega Millions lottery jackpot in a year

Feb 28, 2009, 7:29 am (49 comments)

Mega Millions

There has been another rollover in the top prize for the multi-state Mega Millions lottery — to $212 million.

It is the largest Mega Millions jackpot in more than a year.  On February 22, 2008, one person from Georgia won a $270 million Mega Millions jackpot.

The rollover occurred because no player matched all the winning numbers from Friday night's $171 million drawing.

The next Mega Millions drawing will be Tuesday night.

The last time the Mega Millions jackpot was more than $200 million was on December 12, 2008, when one winning ticket holder from Ohio matched all five numbers plus the Mega Ball to win $207 million.

Although there was no grand prize winner, 18 players won second prizes of $250,000 apiece: 1 from Georgia, 2 from Illinois, 2 from Maryland, 2 from Massachusetts, 2 from New Jersey, 5 from New York, 1 from Ohio, 2 from Texas, and 1 from Virginia.  The Illinois players bought their tickets — both Quick Picks — at service stations in the Chicago suburbs of Orland Park and Geneva.

Another 77 players won third prizes of $10,000 apiece, except for ten third-prize winners in California, who will collect $12,003 because California pays out pari-mutuel.

The winning numbers from Friday night's drawing were: 24, 37, 44, 50, and 56. The Mega Ball number was 35.

The Texas Megaplier was 4.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Piaceri

Woot! I'm in. White Bounce

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Roll Eyes color me in too ...... even though I know I'll just end up fattening someone else's pockets

Thinking of...

Editgap

Wow.

Just wow.

If they chose peculiar numbers for powerball, it might be up there too with MM.

ochoop17

212 million things i can do with that kind of $$ !!

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 28, 2009

Roll Eyes color me in too ...... even though I know I'll just end up fattening someone else's pockets

Thinking of...

that's how i feel about powerball.  but if you don't play you can't win, right??

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

You're never going to win if you think you don't have a chance. It's all about the Law of Attraction.

pumpi76

people you know what to do, open up your pockets, and start buying your quick picks...

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Good luck to all of you who are playing! I'm not in for Mega Millions, but I have a ticket for Powerball.

Quote: Originally posted by GamerMom on Feb 28, 2009

that's how i feel about powerball.  but if you don't play you can't win, right??

thats what I keep telling my self ....Roll Eyes

Oogles that nice cave house out in nevada ...... I neeeds that house

Stigmatized1999's avatarStigmatized1999

Let's bring this one home to Washington State! That wouldbe huuuuuuggggeeee!!

starchild_45's avatarstarchild_45

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Feb 28, 2009

Good luck to all of you who are playing! I'm not in for Mega Millions, but I have a ticket for Powerball.

you need to drive to your nearest powerball state and buy a ticket. i have 2 tickets for powerball and i don't know how many i have for the megamillion. it said one of the second place winners was from new york. it could be me. whoopee!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Stigmatized1999 on Feb 28, 2009

Let's bring this one home to Washington State! That wouldbe huuuuuuggggeeee!!

HECK YEAH!!

i would rather the winner to be me in washington state. nothing against you personally but i think i should represent washington state with the megamillion win. Naughty

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Feb 28, 2009

thats what I keep telling my self ....Roll Eyes

Oogles that nice cave house out in nevada ...... I neeeds that house

my house is in the hollywood hills. I already picked it out ;)

Quote: Originally posted by starchild_45 on Feb 28, 2009

you need to drive to your nearest powerball state and buy a ticket. i have 2 tickets for powerball and i don't know how many i have for the megamillion. it said one of the second place winners was from new york. it could be me. whoopee!!!

I already bought tickets for Powerball since I live in a Powerball state (Idaho). I am not close enough to the Washington border to buy Mega Millions tickets, so I am out of that drawing.

dingo's avatardingo

It seems that Ohio often takes home big Mega Millions jackpots.

Does Ohio quick pick system synchonize with Mega Millions drawings?

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Once again I can swear that the ticket will not be sold in Massachusetts. There is something rotten in MA when it comes to Megamillions jackpots. I'm gonna have to buy my tickets from Jersey (no state taxes on lottery) when I go there.

Somebody wish me some Jersey luck :)

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by ochoop17 on Feb 28, 2009

212 million things i can do with that kind of $$ !!

I Agree!  Alot of things. WOW....that is my pot right there....

Good luck to all Powerball players tonite...

markp1950

> you need to drive to your nearest powerball state and buy a ticket. i have 2 tickets for powerball and i don't know how many i have for the megamillion.

>it said one of the second place winners was from new york. it could be me. whoopee!!!

If you live in a Megamillions state you would be MUCH better off putting your gas money in Mega that powerball.

The Odds for Mega are better than PN (though bad)

AND the cash amounts are MUCH bigger for Mega...

I did drive down today for Mega tickets, and Ill Lotto and Ill little lotto.

Illinois cash amount is very near $100 mil. AFTER taxes...

MarkP

hsg2000

I did not buy Powerball nor Megamillion tickets this time.

If no one gets the grand prize, I will buy 2 tickets each of the MM in GA and PB in SC & NC as I travel on         I - 85 N.

Everyone wish me luck so I win both the Grand Prizes and have fun!!!!!

HSG

2/28

RJOh's avatarRJOh

PowerBall jackpot was won and now it time for MegaMillions to be won.  I will be doing my best to bring it home to Ohio, my home.

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I always like to see more than one person win when the jackpot gets so high.  Tonight there were PB winners in DE and PA and it would have been nice to be #3 (or even #10!)   Come to think of it, I didn't buy a ticket tonight, so that would have been a little tricky!

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 1, 2009

PowerBall jackpot was won and now it time for MegaMillions to be won.  I will be doing my best to bring it home to Ohio, my home.

Yap RJOh Powerball jackpot has been won by two people.....The Mege is mine its coming to me and my family sorry about that maybe next time.

Congrats to all the winners.

Party

chasingadream's avatarchasingadream

I'm glad more than one person won on PB. If it did roll I don't think it would have gotten as high as MM did on its last roll. I hope MM rolls at least one more time.

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 1, 2009

Well I wasn't one of the Powerball winners, but good luck to those who are playing Mega Millions.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by Halle99 on Mar 1, 2009

Yap RJOh Powerball jackpot has been won by two people.....The Mege is mine its coming to me and my family sorry about that maybe next time.

Congrats to all the winners.

Party

Nope, not Texas or Ohio. Megamillions is coming home to Michigan! Woot! White Bounce 

(Gov Jenni needs money)

Congrats to the PB winners!  And good luck to everyone in Tuesday's drawing. Party on! Party

Quote: Originally posted by ThatScaryChick on Feb 28, 2009

I already bought tickets for Powerball since I live in a Powerball state (Idaho). I am not close enough to the Washington border to buy Mega Millions tickets, so I am out of that drawing.

whoops i had it backwards. so sorry.

Quote: Originally posted by markp1950 on Feb 28, 2009

> you need to drive to your nearest powerball state and buy a ticket. i have 2 tickets for powerball and i don't know how many i have for the megamillion.

>it said one of the second place winners was from new york. it could be me. whoopee!!!

If you live in a Megamillions state you would be MUCH better off putting your gas money in Mega that powerball.

The Odds for Mega are better than PN (though bad)

AND the cash amounts are MUCH bigger for Mega...

I did drive down today for Mega tickets, and Ill Lotto and Ill little lotto.

Illinois cash amount is very near $100 mil. AFTER taxes...

MarkP

call me crazy but i like playing both games. i am fonder of powerball. i have won a lot more middle tier przes than i have for mega. powerball has been very nice to me. i live in a megamillion state and travel to a powerball state and get a multidrawing ticket.

libra926

Quote: Originally posted by pumpi76 on Feb 28, 2009

people you know what to do, open up your pockets, and start buying your quick picks...

Happy First Sunday of Lent

.........hi pumpi.......I agree that we must remain steadfast in our determinations to win BOTH PB AND MEGAMIL$$$$.....but my dear in MD AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ...."quik pick" is nothing more than a "quik joke"......;..)...I personally use only my number series, and I strategize the numbers....... 

atoz

I am always amazed at the different players here that say and I quote..."I could never win the big jackpot."

I had a very successful person tell me when I was young about being positive and believing.  He said and I quote again....  "WHAT YOU SAY IS WHAT YOU GET". 

How true that very saying is to me and all.  Some of you just dont know it.  It may not come true in the time frame that you are wanting but down the line it does become true.  You make it come true.  Again law of attraction.  I won a large jackpot 10 or 11 years ago, but I also know I am going to win another one.  I just know it and I believe it.Hyper  So if you want to win you got to really believe you are.

atoz

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

When I win the $Mega Millions jackpot,I'm not going to say "I knew I was going to win it". Smiley

dk1421's avatardk1421

Actually, I was hoping to win BOTH the Powerball and Megamillions! Not that I'm greedy or anything... just thought that would be cool.

I'm just glad I bought 10 weeks of tickets as we drove through Virginia last week, so if it keeps going on up, I still have tickets!!

I live in NC and I'm pretty sure NO ONE here has won the big Powerball EVER! And again, it didn't happen.

And actually, I like Megamillions better. Better odds, less states, win more money overall than Powerball. Hence, why we always buy them when in Virginia.

hsg2000

WOW it is cool, now fun begins.  Check the numbers now

Quote: Originally posted by larry3100 on Mar 1, 2009

When I win the $Mega Millions jackpot,I'm not going to say "I knew I was going to win it". Smiley

I agree.  I believe there was a young business student who won a lottery not too long ago and either it was the first time he had every played the lottery or he just did it on a whim, I can't remember which but he was shocked he won.  I find it hard to believe in the law of attraction when people like us that sit around begging whatever entity we believe in to let us win some $$$ and then someone who has never played (AND FORGETS TO CHECK THEIR NUMBERS FOR DAYS) before wins.  What about the guy who won that died and his wife found the ticket post mortem??? Speaking to the law fo attraction, I'm so OCD with it i even check on first class flights prices to destinations of my choosing a few days after the draw so I will know how much it will cost me to look at houses when or if I move.  I scope out banks for the best CD rates and research tax laws too.  But alas I have never won more than $100 and that was on scratch offs.   I don't know how much more I could "attract" a win.  Maybe the lottery fairy will sprinkle her lucky dust on me soon!

kikideenyc

Baby, I'm gonna have to pull some numbers out of my azz for this one!  I'm not going to go crazy doing it though.  I keep making everyone else rich;  now it's my turn!!!

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by kikideenyc on Mar 2, 2009

Baby, I'm gonna have to pull some numbers out of my azz for this one!  I'm not going to go crazy doing it though.  I keep making everyone else rich;  now it's my turn!!!

I am so sorry to write this kikideenyc, I have also done my share....but this is mine this time.....

Good luck to all, Tuesday night is mine.

Party

Quote: Originally posted by dk1421 on Mar 1, 2009

Actually, I was hoping to win BOTH the Powerball and Megamillions! Not that I'm greedy or anything... just thought that would be cool.

I'm just glad I bought 10 weeks of tickets as we drove through Virginia last week, so if it keeps going on up, I still have tickets!!

I live in NC and I'm pretty sure NO ONE here has won the big Powerball EVER! And again, it didn't happen.

And actually, I like Megamillions better. Better odds, less states, win more money overall than Powerball. Hence, why we always buy them when in Virginia.

smart smart person buying a multi draw ticket in virginia. i always buy multidraw tickets.

megamillions may have beter odds but i win more on powerball. i do play both games.

JWBlue

I have a feeling Mega Millions rolls over.

$260,000,000!

Quote: Originally posted by JWBlue on Mar 2, 2009

$260,000,000!

I ought to Hit With Stick you for even thinkin that ......

its gonna hit tonight and even worse its gonna hit some remote podunk town no one has ever heard of

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Mar 3, 2009

its gonna hit tonight and even worse its gonna hit some remote podunk town no one has ever heard of

LOL  Party

Good Luck.

Piaceri

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Mar 3, 2009

That is why I am buying my tickets in some remote podunk town no one has ever heard of.....

DC81's avatarDC81

Hey! I live in a remote podunk town (with an area actually called Podunk near by) does that mean I have a chance? Scared

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

The Law of Attraction is going to get me out of my podunk little town here in California before the weather gets back up to 100 degrees. Tonight is my night!

DelmarvaChick's avatarDelmarvaChick

Quote: Originally posted by JWBlue on Mar 2, 2009

$260,000,000!

I think this one is going to roll a few times myself...maybe tothe 300 million range

LckyLary

- if you don't win and someone else does, you have contributed to their joy.
Pat yourself on the back!

- I have more MM than PB because I do better on MM and the PB matrix changed,
fouling my best algorithms. I did play in PA though; the machine screwed up and
gave me PB tickets for Feb. 25 to March ?? instead of Janu. when I played them.

- If I win the jackpot I will buy a new snow shovel and a pair of black Levi's from Sears.

DC81's avatarDC81

Looks like some lucky SOB in New Jersey won.Bang Head

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Mar 4, 2009

Maybe it was Todd or Maddog!

kikideenyc

Halle99, at least take me out to lunch!?   I just checked my tix;  No luck! Oh well, see you at the diner!Crazy

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Quote: Originally posted by kikideenyc on Mar 4, 2009

Halle99, at least take me out to lunch!?   I just checked my tix;  No luck! Oh well, see you at the diner!Crazy

LOL ur funny kikideenyc.  I guess I owe you lunch...where do you want to eat? LMFAO

PartyGood luck to all the winner(s) I would really feel so good if it was one by a group. 

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on Mar 4, 2009

Cussing Face figgures .... and I hadn't even checked my numbers yet Crazy

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story