Unemployed: Play the lottery or not?

Mar 2, 2009, 9:39 am (31 comments)

Editorial / Opinion

by Dan Weiser

The Mega Millions lottery jackpot is worth an estimated $212 million.  Right now, it is the largest lottery jackpot in the country, including the multi-state Powerball.  In fact, it's the largest lottery jackpot in the world.

The next drawing is Tuesday night and a winning ticket will bring riches to at least one person.  $212 million dollars is the stuff dreams are made of, but in these uncertain times winning would be ... well, hard to put into words.

The unemployment rate in California is just over 10%.  The chances of winning the lottery are one in several million.  To state the obvious, you are much more likely to know someone who is unemployed than to know someone who will win or even has won the lottery.  Still, the idea of buying a ticket has a certain allure.

It can be tempting to put down just $1 to buy a ticket, especially if you are unemployed or on furlough.  But, you know that you won't win and it is a waste of money.  You know that when people say it is a bad investment — you realize it's not really an investment at all. Still there's that allure.

You've heard the numbers:

• If one person purchases 50-lotto tickets each week, they will win the jackpot about once every 5,000 years.
  • It is three times more likely for a person driving ten miles to buy a Lotto ticket to be killed in a car accident than to win the jackpot.
  • And, the odds are greater (1-in a million) to die from a flesh eating bacteria or a lightning strike (1 in 30,000) than it is to win the lottery.

Still there's that allure to play and you wonder "What's the harm?"

Playing the lottery and winning the lottery are two very different ideas.  If you buy a Mega Millions lottery ticket for Tuesday's drawing it's pretty certain that you will not win.  But, if you shell out one dollar to play the Mega Millions lottery for Tuesday's drawing it's pretty certain that you will enjoy the dream of winning.  If you are unemployed or on furlough buying a ticket will give you a little bit of hope.

Spending $1 for a few days of hope doesn't seem like such a bad "investment" after all.

Examiner

Comments

charmed7's avatarcharmed7

Everyone know now the meaning of budget.  So i think its ok, to spend

a few bucks, here and there on the lottery. Never know where your

blessing will fall.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

When the unemployed buys a lottery ticket they are putting money into the U.S. treasury as well as the states if taxed.

Pretty high tax rate on that amount of money.

I might add the tax rate is going to be increased. More of your lottery win will go to the treasury.

MissNYC's avatarMissNYC

My thought is that someone has to win right? So for that 1 person, the idea that it can't happen, isn't true. I don't think there is anything wrong with an unemployed person dropping $1 on a ticket, but I do think there is something wrong with anyone dropping $20 or more on tickets. That could by lots of other things and they hold up the line.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Mar 2, 2009

My thought is that someone has to win right? So for that 1 person, the idea that it can't happen, isn't true. I don't think there is anything wrong with an unemployed person dropping $1 on a ticket, but I do think there is something wrong with anyone dropping $20 or more on tickets. That could by lots of other things and they hold up the line.

When I buy $20 worth of lottery tickets, I've made out play slips so the clerks don't spend any more time serving me than they do with those unemployed customers buying cigarettes and beer.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Quote: Originally posted by MissNYC on Mar 2, 2009

What is wrong with some dropping $20 or more on tickets? Some people can afford to. Buying $20 worth of tickets doesn't really hold up the line any longer then buying grocerys or paying for gas so I don't see what the problem is.

CowboysFan's avatarCowboysFan

I remember reading a story a few years ago about a man who only had a few dollars left to his name and he used the rest of it to buy lotto tickets and he ended up winning. I can't remember if it was here in California or some other state. You never know when its your turn to get lucky so there really isn't any harm in buying one ticket.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

It's their right to do with their unemployment checks what they desire, right? Its a free country after all,  I say we let unemployed people play the lottery.

hjones

Ok.  I think I've got the winning ticket, so everyone can save their money and not buy anymore.

Besides, my jackpot probably won't go up any more than the lousy future value of $212Mil.

Why don't they say the jackpot is $9.3 Octillion, paid over 26 Billion years?

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

I don't understand why someone would question this at all.  If you collect unemployment, that means you worked for it, since you need to qualify based on previous employment and wages.  Even if you collect a disability check, it means you earned the money, since it's based on your social security earnings.  We might as well say that people over 65 collecting Social Security or anyone on Medicare shouldn't play either.   Then we need to make a list of all the bad habits people shouldn't be blowing their money on like cigarettes and booze.  What about renting a movie?   If you rent a movie it costs more than buying a few lottery tickets.   Next time you go into Applebee's or Chili's don't forget to stand up and ask how many people there are collecting unemployment or are past due on their credit cards or car payments. 

Server:   May I help you?

Customer:  We'd like a plate of those baby back ribs, some chili and a couple of beers.

Server:  Sure, but first I need to run your credit and check your employment status.

GamerMom's avatarGamerMom

Quote: Originally posted by justxploring on Mar 2, 2009

I don't understand why someone would question this at all.  If you collect unemployment, that means you worked for it, since you need to qualify based on previous employment and wages.  Even if you collect a disability check, it means you earned the money, since it's based on your social security earnings.  We might as well say that people over 65 collecting Social Security or anyone on Medicare shouldn't play either.   Then we need to make a list of all the bad habits people shouldn't be blowing their money on like cigarettes and booze.  What about renting a movie?   If you rent a movie it costs more than buying a few lottery tickets.   Next time you go into Applebee's or Chili's don't forget to stand up and ask how many people there are collecting unemployment or are past due on their credit cards or car payments. 

Customer:  We'd like a plate of those baby back ribs, some chili and a couple of beers.

Server:  Sure, but first I need to run your credit and check your employment status.

I was going to say the same thing but use McDonald's as an example. 

As for holding the line up I always do quickpicks.  It doesn't take that long to print out 50 quick picks.

susie545's avatarsusie545

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on Mar 2, 2009

When I buy $20 worth of lottery tickets, I've made out play slips so the clerks don't spend any more time serving me than they do with those unemployed customers buying cigarettes and beer.

Good points.  But, y don't they drop de price to dem 10 cents tickets once more.  lol again.Smile

also, don't waste baby's money on lottery tickets with no job

bigato1010's avatarbigato1010

just play a dollar only , at least you in it.You part of the game. Good luck anything is possible.

computerhead723's avatarcomputerhead723

So  true  if  people  want  to  buy  tickes  or  beer  or  ciggs.  thats  their  choice  , look  after  8  years  of  George  Bush  and  10 Billion  a  month  in  Iraq  who  cares  if  someone  buys  a ticket    at  the  lottery   ....just  think  if  he  wins  what   would  the   people  say  then......

when  in   NY  state  the  Governor  Taxed  ciggs.  aprox.  $2.75  per  pack   the  NON-SMOKERS    SAID  THATS  GOOD  FOR  THEM  !!!!

BUT   LAST  WEEK   HE  TAXED  THE   SNOW - SKIERS   AND  BEER  DRINKERS    AND  SODA   DRINKERS  i  SAY  GOOD   FOR  THEM ...SMOKERS  HAD  SOME  SWEET   REVENGE...............SO  WILL  THE    UNEMPLOYED  WHEN  THEY  HIT  THAT   JACKPOTDance

libra926

Excellent point justxploring.......excellent point....and I couldn't have said it better....you read my mind......;..) 

Halle99's avatarHalle99

Excellent points  justxploring.  I absolutely I Agree!.

Good luck to all the pot is MINE....I know.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

If the lottery is so easy to win, I would not want to play.

ambelamba

I am graduating college this May. And I wonder what will happen to me.

I am interning at a major animation studio in Burbank. Yeah, it's one of the biggest one in America. I hope I can get hired by them after graduation.

But the future is very uncertain.

Today I saw a copy of MM tickets at the studio. It's a company lottery pool. How many people are in the pool? Since it's a big animation studio, roughly 80 people participate in the pool. Even if they win, they will still have to keep their jobs because housing is mighty expensive in LA area and there are a lot of people to share the pie. I am not one of them.

See, I told you guys already. I saw two full sets of numbers in my two different dreams and I play with those numbers. And several months ago, an amount of money flashed in my dream. It was $465millions.

Nah, I can be happy with 5 millions after tax. Gotta stick with Super Lotto Plus because I certainly don't need $100millions.

DC81's avatarDC81

Heh heh, a major animation studio in Burbank you say..... Jack-in-the-Box I think that might have been a little too descriptive. But still, interesting... I have a friend in LA who is also going to college for the same thing.

Anyway, people in general seem to look down upon lottery winners, even more so if they fit certain stereotypes. But that doesn't change the fact that all of them also dream about being rich, unless they are wealthy, then they are probably more likely not to care since I'd imagine there would be less jealously to begin with. Anyway, what else is someone going to do with a dollar these days? Use it a down payment on a pack of smokes as an investment for a higher chance of lung cancer? I'd rather spend one to 20 dollars a week on the lottery when it gets to a certain amount than spend just as much, if not more on other, significantly worse things.

markp1950

> I remember reading a story a few years ago about a man who only had a few dollars left to his name

I know it happened in NY.  

He bought 1 ticket during a break. As I remember he won $150 Mil.

His wife divorced him..

MarkP

markp1950

> Since it's a big animation studio, roughly 80 people participate in the pool. Even if they win, they will still

>have to keep their jobs because housing is mighty expensive in LA area and there are a lot of people to share the pie.

Let me see, about $1 mil cash after taxes.  If I couldn't retire on 1 mil, I'd shoot myself.

> because housing is mighty expensive in LA area

Now, let me see, move to a cheaper area?

MarkP

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

Not everybody who is unemployed collects unemployment, but I'm guessing the story is actually about buying tickets when your income is less than your expenses. In that case, it's pretty simple. The chances that you will lose are  far more than the chances that you'll win anything of consequence, so the reasonable assumption is that you're throwing your money away, and if your income is less than your expenses you can't afford to throw money away. I don't expect everyone who's in financial difficulty to live on rice and beans, but anyone responsible will make reasonable efforts to cut their expenses.

flpirates

I have had a car wreck,  I was in a boat that turned over in the water, I have been bitten by a cat & dog, I had a motorcycle wreck my father is a pilot and we had a engine go out on the plane sooooooooooooo my point being ,it is time I had some luck and win BIG hehehehehehe thats why I play!!!!!!!!!

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Mar 3, 2009

Not everybody who is unemployed collects unemployment, but I'm guessing the story is actually about buying tickets when your income is less than your expenses. In that case, it's pretty simple. The chances that you will lose are  far more than the chances that you'll win anything of consequence, so the reasonable assumption is that you're throwing your money away, and if your income is less than your expenses you can't afford to throw money away. I don't expect everyone who's in financial difficulty to live on rice and beans, but anyone responsible will make reasonable efforts to cut their expenses.

I agree with you.  I was looking at the topic from a different angle.  Once we had a controversial thread about people who get welfare or food stamps.  In that case, perhaps we should assume the recipient is needy and probably shouldn't purchase lottery tickets.   Feeding your children comes first.  However, if a person has a favorite set of numbers and spends a dollar every week for the chance to win a big jackpot, I don't really think we have the right to judge him.   As I said, I do agree that blowing money one needs for essentials is foolish & irresponsible. However, my point was that we "can't afford to throw money away" on a lot of stuff, employed or not.  That's one reason there's so much credit card debt in this country.

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

A few bucks on a lottery ticket is well worth the "investment", not unlike the billions we are flushing down the toilet to bail out the Banks and Investments houses that created all the crap in the first place. At least I have a say so in spending, and losing money on the lottery. But hey, you never know, I just might win the big one. Check back here later on tonight to see if I won :)

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Quote: Originally posted by markp1950 on Mar 3, 2009

> I remember reading a story a few years ago about a man who only had a few dollars left to his name

I know it happened in NY.  

He bought 1 ticket during a break. As I remember he won $150 Mil.

His wife divorced him..

MarkP

MarkP

"Randy Fletcher’' of Indiana hit $1M 2 days after his divorce was finalized. Can you believe that? 2 days! Ain't that something.

Copy + paste "Randy Fletcher had just won the $1 million jackpot" on google search for the full story.

LckyLary

Arrrrgh! Again they do the same thing - give the odds of winning the jackpot vs. flesh-eating bacteria etc. based on buying ONE ticket ever, and based on pure chance. Not factoring that most players buy 5 or more and play regularly. I've beaten "odds" of 1/2 million to 1 and 13,000 to 1 but the odds were only on that day on one particular line on the ticket.

I would recommend for someone unemployed who wants to play but shouldn't, offer numbers to other people (friends/relatives) in return they will help you if they win with your numbers, or only play 1 ticket per major drawing (where a win would replace your income for a long time) using an extremely good algorithm, no QP. $2 per week is not much and keeps you "in the running" at least.

ohiopick3's avatarohiopick3

It's each individuals money to spend. Spend it as you wish. You never know?

kikideenyc

Heck, we waste enough money on everyday crap we don't need, why not the lottery.  I hit every so often with the most being $400. on a boxed number.  So the investment ($.50) was well worth it for me.  Just three days agos (Sun), I hit for $40., so again it was money that I didn't have.  If a dollar and a dream is all folks have to remotely come close to a win, let them have that.  Somebody's going to get it.  Why not one of us...Star

kikideenyc

I just found out that...

One ticket matched all six numbers in the March 3 Mega Millions drawing.  That ticket, which was purchased in Ocean County, New Jersey, wins the estimated $212 million jackpot!

Damn... Now I'm going have to look up some cousins in that area (LOL)!Thud

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Quote: Originally posted by computerhead723 on Mar 2, 2009

So  true  if  people  want  to  buy  tickes  or  beer  or  ciggs.  thats  their  choice  , look  after  8  years  of  George  Bush  and  10 Billion  a  month  in  Iraq  who  cares  if  someone  buys  a ticket    at  the  lottery   ....just  think  if  he  wins  what   would  the   people  say  then......

when  in   NY  state  the  Governor  Taxed  ciggs.  aprox.  $2.75  per  pack   the  NON-SMOKERS    SAID  THATS  GOOD  FOR  THEM  !!!!

BUT   LAST  WEEK   HE  TAXED  THE   SNOW - SKIERS   AND  BEER  DRINKERS    AND  SODA   DRINKERS  i  SAY  GOOD   FOR  THEM ...SMOKERS  HAD  SOME  SWEET   REVENGE...............SO  WILL  THE    UNEMPLOYED  WHEN  THEY  HIT  THAT   JACKPOTDance

Yes sir - and after about 40 Days of Bobobama our economy is sinking !

If you win a big jackpot you will be "The Rich" and will need to spread the wealth !

I am disabled and spend a whoping $2 - $4 a week - my only hobby.

I hope that if I ever win - that I win before the Tax Rate goes up.

I can spread the wealth myself - without it going through the Rouge Government of: The Savior, Chancellor Pelosi and Premier Reid !!!!!!!

If I spread the wealth - ALL of it goes to an individual or group - it doesn't pay for any do nothing Federal Empolyees !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

randommusings

My hubby was laid off about a month ago. we still play, but don't spend as much as we did at times. But then, my business is doing better than ever (a professional resume writer in a horrid economy is a good thing! lol)

all it takes is one ticket, right? ;)

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story