Young lottery winner stakes hopes on Wrestling show

Sep 18, 2009, 8:28 am (40 comments)

After the Big Win

NEW TAMPA, Fla. — The youngest Powerball winner ever has packed up his millions and moved to Tampa Bay, fulfilling his dream of working in the wrestling business with a wild new TV show.

Combine beautiful women, professional wrestling, and part of a $17 million lottery payout, then stir — and you get the new TV show "Wrestlicious".

"MAD TV + the WWE + Baywatch + Dave Chappelle = Wrestlicious," explained Powerball winner Jay Vargas, who's helping finance the show with his lottery loot.

Videos of the show posted on YouTube show a mix of pro wrestling, sketch comedy, and bikini photo shoots — all involving women in a variety of skin-tight outfits.

And one of the recurring characters on "Wrestlicious" is "J.V. Rich" — "The rapper-slash-owner of 'Wrestlicious,'" Vargas said.

"J.V. Rich" is a mansion-dwelling, single 21-year old millionaire surrounded by ladies and spending cash like crazy. What's that character have in common with the real Jay Vargas?

"Attractive and handsome — like myself," Vargas said with a laugh that showed he wasn't taking himself seriously.

Physical appearance is about all the two share. The real Vargas is normal — and pretty humble. After snagging a $17 million lump sum payment last year at age 19, becoming Powerball's youngest-ever winner, Vargas vowed to spend his money smartly.

"I don't have the temptation to go out and buy 15 cars or 50 houses, or a big mansion with 50-plus rooms... I just want to be comfortable," he said.

He's settled down with a wife and family in a nice, but not-over-the-top house in New Tampa. His money and his mind are totally devoted to his TV show-in-the making.

Since Tampa Bay's home to so many wrestlers, Vargas made it his home, too. It's a much better situation than the rumors he hears back home in South Carolina.

"I hear I'm dead every month," Vargas said, repeating a rumor that he hears about when he talks to friend and family. "Ever since I won the Powerball."

"They actually did a press conference saying that I was dead and that I was found in pieces or something like that. I think it's sort of funny. 'Cause I'm not dead at all," he said with a big laugh.

Vargas said his producer is working with TV networks to find a home for the TV show, which has already filmed a pilot episode hosted by wrestling promoter Jimmy Hart.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

WTSP-TV

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Sound like a receipe for losing all of his money !

magic 007

wow my neighborhood!! well good luck mr Vargas.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Sep 18, 2009

Roll EyesI hate to say this .... but I kinda hope he does

hjones

Wow.  Someone's going to be poor in a few years.  Too bad.

JimmySand9

Well, it may seem like a stupid idea, but at least he's reinvesting his money in a business instead of on a bunch of junk. Can't say that about a lot of lotto winners.

ThatScaryChick's avatarThatScaryChick

Well, hopefully, his idea works out for him. I don't have any idea why people hope that he fails.

kikie

Oh man this dude isliving my dream. I wanted towin the lottery also and be part of WWE Smackdown. WEll, I guess not yet..I'm happy for him anyway

DoctorEw220's avatarDoctorEw220

I wouldn't' hope he fails, but I have a feeling that he will.  It's a shame he didn't win more money, or take the annuity so a bad investment like this wouldn't completely ruin him.  Oh well.  Hopefully he won't be flipping burgers in a few years.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorEw220 on Sep 18, 2009

I wouldn't' hope he fails, but I have a feeling that he will.  It's a shame he didn't win more money, or take the annuity so a bad investment like this wouldn't completely ruin him.  Oh well.  Hopefully he won't be flipping burgers in a few years.

One of the wealthiest men in my area occasionally flipped burgers at one of his three Mc Donald franchises.  He and his wife would often join their employees and his kids who also worked in them to see just what was going on.   He later sold them and moved on.   Even Dave came to town in a fancy motor home before he died to flip burgers in the local Wendy for an hour.  There nothing bad about flipping burgers especially if you're doing it in a place you own.

joshuakim

i wish him luck.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by JimmySand9 on Sep 18, 2009

Well, it may seem like a stupid idea, but at least he's reinvesting his money in a business instead of on a bunch of junk. Can't say that about a lot of lotto winners.

I Agree! Nicely put.  One man's stupid idea is another man's dream job.  At least he's living the dream and not wasting his time and money.

lottocalgal's avatarlottocalgal

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Sep 18, 2009

Why?

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

Quote: Originally posted by lottocalgal on Sep 18, 2009

Why?

cause I tink it'd make for an interesting WHAT NOT TO DO ........ ROFL

fja's avatarfja

Well you never know,,,one of the riches people around is Joe Francis and his "Girls Gone Wild" Corporation....Suprising how many women want to show there "Stuff" and have it plastered all over the internet and CD's....add a little wrestling and you might have something...

AlreadyWealthy's avatarAlreadyWealthy

I Actually just watched his show on you tube, and it seems alot of the comments show people are excited, he also has alot of recognizable names from wrestling and some hot girls........goodluck on your show!!   thumbs down to all haters

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Quote: Originally posted by AlreadyWealthy on Sep 18, 2009

I Actually just watched his show on you tube, and it seems alot of the comments show people are excited, he also has alot of recognizable names from wrestling and some hot girls........goodluck on your show!!   thumbs down to all haters

Hi AlreadyWealthy,

Welcome to LotteryPost! I wish him luck with his show also. Wrestling is very popular!

DC81's avatarDC81

I've been bringing this up for months. LOL This show still hasn't gained any TV deals, it's going to be nothing but a money losing venture just like previous incarnations of the exact same thing (with even the same guy behind it as previous failures) corny women's wrestling show (with music production straight out of the 80s to match) that have been tried over the last two decades. There's no real money running a wrestling promotion in the US or Canada unless your last name is McMahon. He won't even break even.

diamondpalace's avatardiamondpalace

It will work out. If it failed, he did not invested 100% of his money in it.

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

I'm from South Carolina and work about 10-15 miles from where he use to live.  It's true about the rumours....I'm just glad to know he's still alive and hasn't blown it all by now. 

I guess any kind of investment is better than no investment at all....gotta try something, ya know.  He's a kid....19 years old...plenty of time to live and learn....I AM shocked that he's married and "settled" down at his young age. 

I think it's kind of corny, but I'm a female....I'm sure the guys love it.  As was stated earlier....look at the Girls Gone Wild idea....that owner is sitting pretty (now that he's out of jail).  Wink

Good luck to Mr. Vargas.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

the whole point of playing lotto , is to live a dream you cant acheive now. the money isnt the important thing its the dream. good luck to him, i hope he has prudent advisors

dopey7719's avatardopey7719

Quote: Originally posted by savagegoose on Sep 19, 2009

the whole point of playing lotto , is to live a dream you cant acheive now. the money isnt the important thing its the dream. good luck to him, i hope he has prudent advisors

I Agree!

mjwinsmith's avatarmjwinsmith

Quote: Originally posted by dopey7719 on Sep 19, 2009

I'm from South Carolina and work about 10-15 miles from where he use to live.  It's true about the rumours....I'm just glad to know he's still alive and hasn't blown it all by now. 

I guess any kind of investment is better than no investment at all....gotta try something, ya know.  He's a kid....19 years old...plenty of time to live and learn....I AM shocked that he's married and "settled" down at his young age. 

I think it's kind of corny, but I'm a female....I'm sure the guys love it.  As was stated earlier....look at the Girls Gone Wild idea....that owner is sitting pretty (now that he's out of jail).  Wink

Good luck to Mr. Vargas.

I Agree!

OldSchoolPa's avatarOldSchoolPa

This just goes to show you that not everyone on this forum is supportive of lottery winners...and I thought that was the point of this forum.  Apparently hearsetrax doesn't get it...most people play the lottery in hopes of living their dreams.  Now one man's/woman's dream may not be the same dream you or I may have, but the important point is "that it is that person's dream" and thank God we live in America were people are free to pursue one's dream. 

Yes, we all would hope that every lottery winner would not go broke, but the reality is that normal people as well as wealthy people go broke (just ask some of the Bernie Madoff investment victims and property flipping enthusiasts in Florida/California/Las Vegas). 

I would hope that he has set aside a portion of money that will be there to sustain his lifestyle whether or not the TV venture pans out. 

Now for you haters, I tell you what I would do if my six numbers happen to match those drawn for the next Powerball or MegaMillions drawing:

First I would quit my job.  JOBS suck.  But I would still do meaningful work (I just can't go into details now since some of it involves a business concept I prefer to protect.).  Then I would live my dream of visiting most every continent (except the cold ones...you geography buffs know which I am referring to) and most countries with the goal of going native in most places I visit...learning and living the culture.  And yes, I would fly first class everywhere I go...why not?

So I would live my two passions of business ownership and traveling.  And for you haters, yes I would have a portion set aside "just drawing interest...actually if my jackpot winnings is large enough, I would only seek to fund my adventures off of the interest.  And no, I would not invest with any particular investment guru...mutual funds will do just fine by me.

pumpi76

i saw this coming months ago...not the story the headlines...

lank's avatarlank

Quote: Originally posted by dpoly1 on Sep 18, 2009

and if he lose every penny, it was his money and he can do whatever he please with his money.Sun Smiley

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

cause I tink it'd make for an interesting WHAT NOT TO DO ........ ROFL

I Agree!

It would give our society's members another reason WHY it is an immediate and ultimate bad judgement decision to encourage oneself to become a sociopath, a broadcasting pervert, and/or an enabler of greedy and sexually lude exhibitionists.  Also, it's a feeble long-term parenting lifestyle plan.

Thud

It would be wise for this 21-year-old, impressionable young man to withdraw from this project.  Instead turning his deeply committed focus towards healthily building up the remainder of his family and original $10M (after taxes paid) FORTUNE [targeting maintenance and 2% continual profit per month on monies].

Lovies

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

I wish him the best.

I only hope he has somebody looking out for his interests besides the guys using his money to get the show off the ground. They've got nothing to lose and won't be too concerned about throwing tons of good money after bad in an effort to enrich their own lives.

That money could be gone real quick if he's the type to let people take advantage of him.

I hope the show's a big hit but it doesn't sound like something I'd tune in to see.

Wait a minute! Did somebody say women in bikinis?

Kobra

Quote: Originally posted by hjones on Sep 18, 2009

Wow.  Someone's going to be poor in a few years.  Too bad.

Agree with stupidWhite Bounce

Littleoldlady's avatarLittleoldlady

Maybe not.  It depends on how it is delivered.  I am sure he won't go broke.  He is trying to deliver a product that men want.  If his product is "good" he stands to make more money.  Look at the other shows that package and sell "sex"...they are booming.  I would have hoped that he would find another way but it is his money.  I don't see the wife hanging around for years and years if this show turns out to be a success.  Jealousy will become a very big issue.

thegee

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Sep 19, 2009

Maybe not.  It depends on how it is delivered.  I am sure he won't go broke.  He is trying to deliver a product that men want.  If his product is "good" he stands to make more money.  Look at the other shows that package and sell "sex"...they are booming.  I would have hoped that he would find another way but it is his money.  I don't see the wife hanging around for years and years if this show turns out to be a success.  Jealousy will become a very big issue.

i agree with u on this,he only needs good people behind him  (a dedicated team) to set him str8 by guiding him  focus on the goal ahead.

i hope he makes it and get into other businesses. live ur dream feller.

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by Littleoldlady on Sep 19, 2009

Except as I've been saying for months, there is plenty of history to show that this will not be a success. This is something that's been worked on for almost a year now and they still don't have a single television deal (plan was for it to be syndicated) and the guy who's really behind this is someone who was behind this same sort product multiple times before and had it fail every... Single.... Time. This will not change with "Wrestlicious" I don't recall if they've actually done anything aside from a bunch of corny videos. Never mind the kid apparently didn't keep up his "staying in school" thing, though that's not surprising. Hopefully a lot of money isn't being sunk into this, I'm sure the girls are being paid peanuts but I'm know Jimmy Hart isn't working for free and the "producer" of this probably isn't either. The actual production should be cheap since it certainly is going to be low budget unless someone is ripping it off. If it really gets off the ground it'll be one of those things you see at 2am or later but I doubt it will.

Wrestling exclusively featuring women has never been a true draw in the US be it campy, corny stuff like this or something more serious like a promotion that's around right now called Shimmer which actually has some good female performers. Besides that, if the women actually have the "it" factor (and can actually wrestle) they're most likely going to be signed up by WWE or the distant number two promotion with its own corny name, TNA..

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

The people that talk about buying "junk" don't understand that some automobiles are excellent hard assets.

Hard assests are always worth something whereas our money is worth what the government says it is worth, and can become worth more as wallpaper !

Just look at the 1 million percent inflation in Zimbabwe !

Stooges with the help of these fine gentleman I would become a billionaire !

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

Wow. I would actually do the opposite of what he is doing. I'd Buy a large track of empty land and raise horses and plant trees and basically avoid the crowds. For entertainment I could read books and fish in my artificial lake that I would build with my money. I could invite family and friends over for long weekends and holidays. A perfect life!

JAP69's avatarJAP69

"Combine beautiful women,"

At 19 and temptation gets the best of him he will loose half of his money in DIVORCE court.

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

This could be succesful on MTV....

I watched a show briefly on MTV2 and it was patheticaly funny to me ....

A lot of 20 somethings functioning at a third grade level !

AlreadyWealthy's avatarAlreadyWealthy

WOW!!!! its some pretty sad non-positive people on here, When i win the MegaMillions and SuperLotto please keep your negative comments to your self....... Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by AlreadyWealthy on Sep 22, 2009

WOW!!!! its some pretty sad non-positive people on here, When i win the MegaMillions and SuperLotto please keep your negative comments to your self....... Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

There's a difference between not being positive and being a realist but perhaps you're the type that likes to have people not question decisions, as poor as they may be. Enjoy your yes men after you win, I'll be looking forward to your story a few years after. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, especially if you put yourself out there in the public forum.

computerhead723's avatarcomputerhead723

well  he  sure  has  a  lot  to  learn  about  people !!!   ad  should  learn  to  lay  low   since  people  are  already  saying  he's  dead :  very   dangerous   times  right  now :

well   I  can  see  he's  in  for  the  ride  of  his  life -  lets   re-visit  him  5-11  years  from  now  ?"

Kobra

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Sep 19, 2009

I Agree!

It would give our society's members another reason WHY it is an immediate and ultimate bad judgement decision to encourage oneself to become a sociopath, a broadcasting pervert, and/or an enabler of greedy and sexually lude exhibitionists.  Also, it's a feeble long-term parenting lifestyle plan.

Thud

It would be wise for this 21-year-old, impressionable young man to withdraw from this project.  Instead turning his deeply committed focus towards healthily building up the remainder of his family and original $10M (after taxes paid) FORTUNE [targeting maintenance and 2% continual profit per month on monies].

Lovies

Green laughHAHHA speak english

THIS is why we live in the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.  That guy can blow all his money on WHATEVER he wants.  Face the facts, what percentage of jackpot winners go broke?  chances are that the majority of us here would fall into that percentage.  cuz guess what guys,  you dont know what you will do with that money until you have it.

Haters  Proceed...

mrscottia's avatarmrscottia

Somebody needs to smack this guy into reality.  Does he not realize that wrestling is losing money and fans.  They along with boxing are being killed by MMA.  I think he has a better chance of winning the Powerball again than getting his show picked up.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story