Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Which One Makes More Sense?

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 7 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you had $2 to spend on Powerball would you get two lines or one line with Powerplay added?

One line with Powerplay [ 25 ]  [52.08%]
Two lines [ 23 ]  [47.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3501 Posts
Posted: October 2, 2009, 12:56 am - IP Logged

"Just wondering what most people consider the better option."

Good phrasing, because I think it's definitely just a matter of opinion. Here's my take. By using the extra dollar to play another combination you have 3 options. You can play 5 different numbers with the same power ball, the same 5 numbers and a different power ball, or play all different numbers.  All 3 options give you twice as much chance to win the jackpot. Option 1 also give you twice a smuch chance to win one of the smaller prizes. Option 2 will also double any of the smaller prizes if you win. For the 25% of the time that the multiplier is 2, this is the best option, because you win as much as with power play, and still double your chance of winning a jackpot. Option 3 may or may not increase small winnings, depending on whether or not you use any of the same numbers.

You probably won't win, so powerplay probably won't do anything to improve your chances of collecting more than you spend. With two chances you'll probably still lose, but I figure it makes more sense to double your chances of winning something. In the long run, the lottery pays out the same percentage whether you use powerplay or not.

Illinois
    United States
    Member #80376
    September 25, 2009
    57 Posts
    Posted: October 2, 2009, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

never played pb, is    powerplay   a dollar per  line?   or a dollar per ticket  slip of 5 #s, which amounts to 20 cents per line?  lol then    ,  yes. 

but isnt it like  a 2-dollar ticket.     Do the extra one go increase the jackpot by 2X  too?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: October 2, 2009, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

never played pb, is    powerplay   a dollar per  line?   or a dollar per ticket  slip of 5 #s, which amounts to 20 cents per line?  lol then    ,  yes. 

but isnt it like  a 2-dollar ticket.     Do the extra one go increase the jackpot by 2X  too?

Hello caipiao,

Powerplay is an extra dollar for each line. With Powerplay you get any prizes won except the jackpot multiplied by 2 to 5 times the original amount.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

TN
        United States
        Member #80857
        October 5, 2009
        63 Posts
        Posted: October 7, 2009, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, I agree. If one is looking for wins where you can get a couple hundred dollars with better odds, games like Pick 3 are the way to go.

What if the the instate games are randomly generated? Me and a couple of buddies went in on 80 Lotto Plus numbers in the past two weeks, using a system I came up with. I was very confident in the system and so far we have only one $3.00.

I am thinking about coming up with a system, only playing the powerball. I figure if I play 5 numbers using powerplay once a week, the returns will be better than the instate games Anyone agree?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: October 8, 2009, 12:26 am - IP Logged

I'm from TN too and the consensus around here seems to be that TN is not a very good bet and I agree after having much better luck in VA. If you're near another state (like VA) it's my personal opinion that you'll have better luck there. Powerball is still ok in TN though. Good luck!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NASHVILLE, TENN
            United States
            Member #33372
            February 20, 2006
            1044 Posts
            Posted: October 9, 2009, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

Sorry about that Todd.

I definitely gotta cut back on the Jack.

Don't be stupid!  Enjoy the Jack.  Life's too short to go thru it sober.  Besides, we here in Tennessee need the tax money.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: October 12, 2009, 12:55 am - IP Logged

I moved from a Mega Millions state to a Powerball state and found by using the powerplay option the smaller wins are nicer. For players looking to cash tickets for a couple hundred bucks, I believe pick-3 and pick-4 is a better play.

That's all the powerplay is good for, it is invalid on jackpot wins.