Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot Chasers

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
Atlanta,GA
United States
Member #79429
September 1, 2009
103 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2009, 6:22 am - IP Logged

If you knew without a doubt that a jackpot ticket was going to be sold in a certain city would you travel to that city and purchase tickets and how far will you be willing to travel for that chance?

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2009, 6:55 am - IP Logged

I travel a few miles now to Virginny to get tickets without a guarantee so I guess I'd do the same with a guarantee the winner is there.

Might even spend a little more.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7713 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2009, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I believe if it's "your turn" to win, it will happen no matter what city you live in or where the jackpot ticket is.  Would never go further than down the street to buy a lottery ticket myself.

marcie's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
        Ohio
        United States
        Member #49980
        February 21, 2007
        34552 Posts
        Posted: October 19, 2009, 10:19 am - IP Logged

If you knew without a doubt that a jackpot ticket was going to be sold in a certain city would you travel to that city and purchase tickets and how far will you be willing to travel for that chance?

The fatherest I would go would be W.V. or Pa. because it is very close to me more like 1.5 hour drive.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51284 Posts
          Posted: October 19, 2009, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

This fantastic phantom phantasmagoria is worth considering:

After regaining conscienceness the fantasy will fade away only to be replaced by the reality that it was only a dream. By then one may have traveled one hundred miles to buy those PowerBall Tickets in PA (Hi Scorpio).

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23356 Posts
            Posted: October 19, 2009, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

How in the world would someone know the city a jackpot would be sold?  (Unless, of course, you are playing a lottery in which all the tickets are sold within one city.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
              Member #91
              January 19, 2002
              12018 Posts
              Posted: October 19, 2009, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

Its one of those "what if" questions: 

However if you live in the state of New York, their average lottery sales are about 5.75 million per draw.  They average 1.4 -5+0 winners every draw and 1 jackpot win every 18.4 draws in 2009,  so if one of those 5.75 million dollars is yours, this is what might happen. 

If you live in california your average sales there is 4.25 million per draw.  They average 1.1-5+0 winners every draw and 1 jackpot every 35.5 draws.....

So the question should be, if you could, what state would you pool your money with

Not that anything will change.....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3316 Posts
                Posted: October 19, 2009, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

id wait till i knew my home town was going to win, and buy up then :D

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #56506
                  November 21, 2007
                  6537 Posts
                  Posted: October 19, 2009, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

I don't see how anyone can know the exact city and state that a ticket is going to be won. But realistically, I wouldn't leave my state for tickets, unless I am traveling for some other reason.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Western Side of Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #68913
                    January 2, 2009
                    11 Posts
                    Posted: October 19, 2009, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Its one of those "what if" questions: 

However if you live in the state of New York, their average lottery sales are about 5.75 million per draw.  They average 1.4 -5+0 winners every draw and 1 jackpot win every 18.4 draws in 2009,  so if one of those 5.75 million dollars is yours, this is what might happen. 

If you live in california your average sales there is 4.25 million per draw.  They average 1.1-5+0 winners every draw and 1 jackpot every 35.5 draws.....

So the question should be, if you could, what state would you pool your money with

Not that anything will change.....

Since I live in New York I thought I would post a reply to this message.  I live in the western end of the state and the 1 jackpot prize in 18.4 draws in New York sure isn't in the western end of this state.  They are usually in the eastern end of the state.  So would I travel to buy a winning ticket?  I don't think so.  Because I feel if I am suppose to win the jackpot in one of the lottery games that I play, then it will happen sooner or later.  I just hope it is sooner.  VERY SOON.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      51284 Posts
                      Posted: October 19, 2009, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

I don't see how anyone can know the exact city and state that a ticket is going to be won. But realistically, I wouldn't leave my state for tickets, unless I am traveling for some other reason.

Maybe they dreamed it? Hopefully they would also dream the numbers to play! LOL!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

LottoPools's avatar - bee
                        Houston, TX
                        United States
                        Member #4496
                        April 29, 2004
                        71 Posts
                        Posted: October 19, 2009, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

I once considered going to Fon DuLac Wisconsin to buy tickets.  Or at least have one of my long-haul-truck-driving relatives roll through there for me.  Then realized buying a ticket there hadn't paid off for most of the people there so why bother.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10392 Posts
                          Posted: October 19, 2009, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

I'm with ThatScaryChick on not traveling to another state just for playing lotto.

I realize the scenario in the OP is an "if, then..." situation, as has been said, and let's say someone had a dream the the winninng ticket would be bought in a specific city.

I think we'd have to factor in the infamous Lottery Fairy, and I could just see something like this happening:

...So Lucky Larry had a dream that the winning ticket would be bought in Salem. Living in California, not near the border,  he knew that was a prety good drive to Oregon, but he decided to go because he just knew that winner would come from there.

So he made the trip and bought his tickets. He watched the drawing and a day later when the results were posted he saw that the winning ticket had been bought in Salem, Mass.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
                            Atlanta,GA
                            United States
                            Member #79429
                            September 1, 2009
                            103 Posts
                            Posted: October 19, 2009, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Since I live in New York I thought I would post a reply to this message.  I live in the western end of the state and the 1 jackpot prize in 18.4 draws in New York sure isn't in the western end of this state.  They are usually in the eastern end of the state.  So would I travel to buy a winning ticket?  I don't think so.  Because I feel if I am suppose to win the jackpot in one of the lottery games that I play, then it will happen sooner or later.  I just hope it is sooner.  VERY SOON.

Maybe you can help it happen, depending on actions you take. Just thiniking.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

United States
                              Member #75358
                              June 1, 2009
                              5345 Posts
                              Posted: October 19, 2009, 10:02 pm - IP Logged

"If" is a big word.

If a grasshopper had a machine gun,the birds wouldn't bother it. "IF"......

If I was going to wish, I'd make it a big one. I'd wish to know the winning numbers and what state, and I wouldn't care what state. I'd fly there first class.

Nevertheless, even If I did it your way, the odds of winning, even in a small city, would still be high. Too many contenders.

It's nice to dream though.