Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jackpot Chasers

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
germantown md
United States
Member #64543
August 31, 2008
3771 Posts
Posted: October 19, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

i dont see my self traveling long distance to purchase a ticket even if a winning ticket is expected.

on the other hand if its a win win situation then thats a different story.

i only buy tickets in other states when on the road traveling thats about it and that only happens if i stop some where that have a lottery machine.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: October 20, 2009, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Its one of those "what if" questions: 

However if you live in the state of New York, their average lottery sales are about 5.75 million per draw.  They average 1.4 -5+0 winners every draw and 1 jackpot win every 18.4 draws in 2009,  so if one of those 5.75 million dollars is yours, this is what might happen. 

If you live in california your average sales there is 4.25 million per draw.  They average 1.1-5+0 winners every draw and 1 jackpot every 35.5 draws.....

So the question should be, if you could, what state would you pool your money with

Not that anything will change.....

"So the question should be, if you could, what state would you pool your money with"

Apples and oranges. Anyone with a clue understands that states that sell more tickets are more likely to produce winners, but that doesn't do anything at all to give individual tickets a better chance than tickets sold in states with small populations. "Pooling" your money with a state is like pooling your money with any other group that won't be sharing with you if they win a prize.

As for the original question, it comes down to how much effort or expense you'd go to in order to improve your odds. In reality, if it was common knowledge that a ticket sold in a given state would win, sales in that state might be so high that there wouldn't be any actual improvement in the odds. The MM record of 390 million saw sales of about 40 million tickets in both NY and CA, so I wouldn't be surprised if sales did result in no actual increase in the odds. For the sake of argument, let's assume that buying in that state would triple your chances to 1 in 58 million for MM, and because of your improved chances you buy 100 tickets. You've now got a whopping 1 in 580,000 chance of winning. You could get that as is by spending $300, so it clearly wouldn't make sense to spend more than $200 to travel to another state. If you'd only buy 10 tickets, then it doesn't make sense to drive far at all.

sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
      Atlanta,GA
      United States
      Member #79429
      September 1, 2009
      103 Posts
      Posted: October 20, 2009, 7:31 am - IP Logged

"So the question should be, if you could, what state would you pool your money with"

Apples and oranges. Anyone with a clue understands that states that sell more tickets are more likely to produce winners, but that doesn't do anything at all to give individual tickets a better chance than tickets sold in states with small populations. "Pooling" your money with a state is like pooling your money with any other group that won't be sharing with you if they win a prize.

As for the original question, it comes down to how much effort or expense you'd go to in order to improve your odds. In reality, if it was common knowledge that a ticket sold in a given state would win, sales in that state might be so high that there wouldn't be any actual improvement in the odds. The MM record of 390 million saw sales of about 40 million tickets in both NY and CA, so I wouldn't be surprised if sales did result in no actual increase in the odds. For the sake of argument, let's assume that buying in that state would triple your chances to 1 in 58 million for MM, and because of your improved chances you buy 100 tickets. You've now got a whopping 1 in 580,000 chance of winning. You could get that as is by spending $300, so it clearly wouldn't make sense to spend more than $200 to travel to another state. If you'd only buy 10 tickets, then it doesn't make sense to drive far at all.

Ky Floyd, you make a good point and after reading your post I think I might just travel to NY or CA to buy MM tickets. I do think my chance of winning a jackpot would be increase.  That's mainly because it seems that more jackpot tickets are sold there than any other state. Back to my original question "If you knew what CITY"; would you go there. Maybe your odds won't improve, but I think mine would shoot sky high, or make me feel as if I have a better chance.

For example, let's say a  fly ball was just hit and if you are on the wrong ball field; well, you won"t have a chance in dirt to catch it if your life depended on it because you are not in the right place at the right time.  I like your post.

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
        Katy, Tx
        United States
        Member #67709
        December 3, 2008
        204 Posts
        Posted: October 20, 2009, 11:39 am - IP Logged

Did you happen to watch that Lottery Changed my Life show where that one street in a little town up north had half dozen winners?  There is Luck to be had in some places.

Hope you win Very Big Soon.

Joey

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2009, 12:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand the confusion on buying tickets in different areas.

If you're playing your own numbers it doesn't make any difference where you buy them.

If you're buying quick picks, outside of occasional anomalies you still have the same chance as anyone else.

If more winners are sold in a particular state it is in direct keeping with the number of tickets sold there.

Buying a ticket in that state does not improve your odds of winning.

We are all in the same pool and if all things are legitimate in the process then state lines just can't have any effect on it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Atlanta,GA
            United States
            Member #79429
            September 1, 2009
            103 Posts
            Posted: October 20, 2009, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand the confusion on buying tickets in different areas.

If you're playing your own numbers it doesn't make any difference where you buy them.

If you're buying quick picks, outside of occasional anomalies you still have the same chance as anyone else.

If more winners are sold in a particular state it is in direct keeping with the number of tickets sold there.

Buying a ticket in that state does not improve your odds of winning.

We are all in the same pool and if all things are legitimate in the process then state lines just can't have any effect on it.

C hoosing your own numbers, you are right; but on the other hand how many east Tenn winners have there been for MM?

Today could be the day!

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3474 Posts
              Posted: October 20, 2009, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

"Ky Floyd, you make a good point and after reading your post I think I might just travel to NY or CA to buy MM tickets."

Then you clearly didn't understand what I said.

Atlanta,GA
                United States
                Member #79429
                September 1, 2009
                103 Posts
                Posted: October 20, 2009, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

"Ky Floyd, you make a good point and after reading your post I think I might just travel to NY or CA to buy MM tickets."

Then you clearly didn't understand what I said.

I did understand your meaning. My statement was not in anyway saying I thought your post said I would be better off buying in NY or CAl. That was just my thinking out loud. I understood you, believe me.

Today could be the day!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: October 20, 2009, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

C hoosing your own numbers, you are right; but on the other hand how many east Tenn winners have there been for MM?

The number of winners of MM in East Tenn would be in direct proportion to the number of MM tickets bought by East Tennesseans and subject to the same odds everyone else faces in any other state. 

What I'm trying to say is that we are all in the same pool. The number of winners in different states is only due to there being different numbers of tickets sold in different areas. Buying a ticket in New York doesn't make you any more likely to win than buying a ticket in Washington state. Same game, same odds.

If you think your odds would be better in New York because they have more winners there, then consider this: because of the number of tickets sold there they also have far, far more losers. So, using your rationale, wouldn't that make you more likely to be a loser? Think about it.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                    Member #5122
                    June 18, 2004
                    68 Posts
                    Posted: October 20, 2009, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

If you knew without a doubt that a jackpot ticket was going to be sold in a certain city would you travel to that city and purchase tickets and how far will you be willing to travel for that chance?

How many terminals are in this hypothetical city? Just one? Hundreds if not thousands? There's no point traveling to this "lucky" city if you show up at the wrong terminal or at the right terminal but at the wrong time.

Anyway, the question you posed also suggests insider knowledge. If this is the case then who would want to participate in a rigged game? I know who would - the same sort of people that are often featured in sordid news stories here on Lottery Post where dozens of replies are made by other LP members scowling at such despicable behavior. 

Atlanta,GA
                      United States
                      Member #79429
                      September 1, 2009
                      103 Posts
                      Posted: October 21, 2009, 10:22 am - IP Logged

How many terminals are in this hypothetical city? Just one? Hundreds if not thousands? There's no point traveling to this "lucky" city if you show up at the wrong terminal or at the right terminal but at the wrong time.

Anyway, the question you posed also suggests insider knowledge. If this is the case then who would want to participate in a rigged game? I know who would - the same sort of people that are often featured in sordid news stories here on Lottery Post where dozens of replies are made by other LP members scowling at such despicable behavior. 

Let's not get technical; you may also get there on the wrong day, wrong hour, wrong minute, wrong second.  Then all of those things being RIGHT; you went to the wrong street, etc,etc,etc.

Today could be the day!

Atlanta,GA
                        United States
                        Member #79429
                        September 1, 2009
                        103 Posts
                        Posted: October 21, 2009, 10:51 am - IP Logged

The number of winners of MM in East Tenn would be in direct proportion to the number of MM tickets bought by East Tennesseans and subject to the same odds everyone else faces in any other state. 

What I'm trying to say is that we are all in the same pool. The number of winners in different states is only due to there being different numbers of tickets sold in different areas. Buying a ticket in New York doesn't make you any more likely to win than buying a ticket in Washington state. Same game, same odds.

If you think your odds would be better in New York because they have more winners there, then consider this: because of the number of tickets sold there they also have far, far more losers. So, using your rationale, wouldn't that make you more likely to be a loser? Think about it.

Well, let me ask you this: The odds of winning the pic3 is 1 in 1000, and if I purchase 125 tickets will my odds still be 1 in 1000?  If I understand what you are saying this would be the case. Am I reading you correctly?  THIS IS ONLY FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES.

I see only 8 formats for the pic3 number. So if I pick the right format I will have the right number. With this being a fact; my odds of winning goes from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 8. DO WE SEE THIS THE SAME WAY? If not I can show you, and/or explain.

Then we can say same game, but,  NOT THE SAME ODDS.

GOOD LUCK!

Today could be the day!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: October 21, 2009, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Well, let me ask you this: The odds of winning the pic3 is 1 in 1000, and if I purchase 125 tickets will my odds still be 1 in 1000?  If I understand what you are saying this would be the case. Am I reading you correctly?  THIS IS ONLY FOR EXAMPLE PURPOSES.

I see only 8 formats for the pic3 number. So if I pick the right format I will have the right number. With this being a fact; my odds of winning goes from 1 in 1000 to 1 in 8. DO WE SEE THIS THE SAME WAY? If not I can show you, and/or explain.

Then we can say same game, but,  NOT THE SAME ODDS.

GOOD LUCK!

I think we may be talking about two different things here.

What I am saying is that all things being equal it doesn't matter in a geographic sense where you buy your ticket.

You can better your odds any way you choose but it still doesn't matter what state you buy the ticket in.

States that sell more tickets will naturally have more winners but that doesn't mean buying a ticket in that state gives you a better chance of winning.

--Edmund Burke

Atlanta,GA
                            United States
                            Member #79429
                            September 1, 2009
                            103 Posts
                            Posted: October 21, 2009, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

I think we may be talking about two different things here.

What I am saying is that all things being equal it doesn't matter in a geographic sense where you buy your ticket.

You can better your odds any way you choose but it still doesn't matter what state you buy the ticket in.

States that sell more tickets will naturally have more winners but that doesn't mean buying a ticket in that state gives you a better chance of winning.

Evidently you missed my point.

Have a good day!

Today could be the day!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: October 21, 2009, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Evidently you missed my point.

Have a good day!

No, I got the point you made in your previous post and I agree with it.

I was addressing a different issue, sorry about that.

--Edmund Burke