Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ohio New Years Raffle Starts November 20th!

Topic closed. 47 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
LotteryGuy's avatar - mrthumbs
Ohio
United States
Member #74411
May 10, 2009
71 Posts
Posted: November 11, 2009, 9:11 am - IP Logged

Ohio New Years Raffle game will start November 20th!  Anyone else plan on playing this game?

I have been saving $20 per payday since July and as of this Friday I will have $200 saved for it.  Earlier this year they had a survey on the Ohio Lottery website asking for feedback on what the price of tickets should be, prize tiers, etc. so it will be interesting to see if they are still going to be $20 per ticket.

In previous years, I use to just take $20 out of my paycheck and purchase a ticket and would usually stop at $100 but this year I'm going to do it differently.  I'm hoping to wait until my last pay in December and have $260 saved up and I'm going to just purchase them all at once and will hopefully have a block of numbers in a row and see if my luck changes.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: November 11, 2009, 10:20 am - IP Logged

Wish Texas have something like this. Sounds exciting!

Don't wait too late, they may sold out!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 11, 2009, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Ohio New Years Raffle game will start November 20th!  Anyone else plan on playing this game?

I have been saving $20 per payday since July and as of this Friday I will have $200 saved for it.  Earlier this year they had a survey on the Ohio Lottery website asking for feedback on what the price of tickets should be, prize tiers, etc. so it will be interesting to see if they are still going to be $20 per ticket.

In previous years, I use to just take $20 out of my paycheck and purchase a ticket and would usually stop at $100 but this year I'm going to do it differently.  I'm hoping to wait until my last pay in December and have $260 saved up and I'm going to just purchase them all at once and will hopefully have a block of numbers in a row and see if my luck changes.

Wish I could play it, I like the raffles. I like your idea of buying a block of tickets too. I would have liked to have done that in the Virginia Raffle too if it wasn't for the fact that my wife might have hit me upside the head with a cast iron frying pan.

Good luck to ya!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Ohio
        United States
        Member #74411
        May 10, 2009
        71 Posts
        Posted: November 11, 2009, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Thanks rdgrnr!  I was wondering if anyone would think it was a good idea.  I think this is the 4th raffle for Ohio.  It use to be called "Raffle to Riches" but this year and last year they changed it to "New Years Raffle".  I thought it may be a good switch to buy a block of tickets instead of buying one here and there because I've played ever since they started the game and have had no luck but I hope that will change.

Diamond, don't worry, I keep my eyes posted to the website every day and they update the website every day stating how many tickets they have sold and I've found they usually don't sell the last ticket until almost December 31st.  In fact, one year, I was really excited because they didn't sell them all at the deadline but still held the drawing and that only gave me a better chance at winning something but that was the only year they didn't sell out.

Everyone at my work and in my personal life knows I play Ohio Classic Lotto and usually every year I tell people I'm playing the raffle but this year I'm not saying a word because I think they would think I was insane for spending $260 on the lottery.....ok, maybe it is insane but I figure it's the only time of year that I really go all out and splurge on the lottery.  Noel

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away!

Ohio
          United States
          Member #74411
          May 10, 2009
          71 Posts
          Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

The Ohio Lottery website now has the prize levels posted as follows:

4 - 1 Million Prizes (Odds:  1 in 125,000)

10 - $10,000 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 50,000)

120 - $1,500 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 4,167)

1000 - $500 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 500)

2200 - $100 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 227)

They will be selling 500,000 tickets and there will be no $100 instant wins this year.  The drawing will be January 2, 2010 and the winning numbers will be posted on the website at 9:00pm.

Good luck to anyone who will be playing this game!  Embarassed

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
            Illinois
            United States
            Member #82001
            November 3, 2009
            890 Posts
            Posted: November 14, 2009, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

The Ohio Lottery website now has the prize levels posted as follows:

4 - 1 Million Prizes (Odds:  1 in 125,000)

10 - $10,000 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 50,000)

120 - $1,500 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 4,167)

1000 - $500 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 500)

2200 - $100 Prizes (Odds:  1 in 227)

They will be selling 500,000 tickets and there will be no $100 instant wins this year.  The drawing will be January 2, 2010 and the winning numbers will be posted on the website at 9:00pm.

Good luck to anyone who will be playing this game!  Embarassed

The top prizes seem right but lower tier consolidation don't really knock you out. 100,000 second place would be much better and more of a life changer than 10,000.

I would buy my ticket space out every 100,000 series. Past winning tickets have been varied

Ohio
              United States
              Member #74411
              May 10, 2009
              71 Posts
              Posted: November 15, 2009, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

The top prizes seem right but lower tier consolidation don't really knock you out. 100,000 second place would be much better and more of a life changer than 10,000.

I would buy my ticket space out every 100,000 series. Past winning tickets have been varied

I tried spacing them out the past 3 years they've had the raffle but never won anything so I figured this year I'll change it up and just play it all at once and see if I can get 13 numbers in a row and see how that works!  Hopefully I'll win something but you're right, the lower tier prizes don't really amount to much.  I figure if I can even win $500 then I'll at least cover my expense and be up $240.  We'll see!  Dance

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                Illinois
                United States
                Member #82001
                November 3, 2009
                890 Posts
                Posted: November 15, 2009, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

I tried spacing them out the past 3 years they've had the raffle but never won anything so I figured this year I'll change it up and just play it all at once and see if I can get 13 numbers in a row and see how that works!  Hopefully I'll win something but you're right, the lower tier prizes don't really amount to much.  I figure if I can even win $500 then I'll at least cover my expense and be up $240.  We'll see!  Dance

Also I try to buy my raffle tixs from winning retailers in town from prior drawings. Came close though

South Florida
                  United States
                  Member #82132
                  November 6, 2009
                  112 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2009, 1:45 am - IP Logged

You tried spreading our your purchases and didn't do any better? Odd because I would tend to think that given the nature of random drawings, out of 500,000 tickets, you would have a better chance of winning if you had tickets spaced out such as 011034, 038205, 146053, 356823, (and so on) rather than having tickets 014500 - 014510 together. Then again, I suppose the chances of one of those 10 being a winner are just as good as winning with the 10 spaced out numbers. You just have to pray that the machine chooses that range. We are talking about 500,000 tickets though, so the only real way to give yourself an advantage is to buy a significant number of the tickets (like 5% or 2,500 of them). Yet even with that amount you still might not get a single hit. I don't think there's any real strategy to the raffle drawings...pure luck in my opinion.

South Florida
                    United States
                    Member #82132
                    November 6, 2009
                    112 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2009, 1:57 am - IP Logged

"Everyone at my work and in my personal life knows I play Ohio Classic Lotto and usually every year I tell people I'm playing the raffle but this year I'm not saying a word because I think they would think I was insane for spending $260 on the lottery.....ok, maybe it is insane"

Hey I'm with you man. I've lost thousands upon thousands over the past 2 years thanks to the high risk trading I conducted in the stock market and the market crash. I did have some big winners eventually, but they came too late as I had already lost so much at that point it didn't matter.  My only chance of recovery now without losing thousands more (in such a short period of time) is lotteries and raffles. No shame in buying $260 worth of tickets...not in an economy like this one!

Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #74411
                      May 10, 2009
                      71 Posts
                      Posted: December 2, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Just an FYI, I contacted the Ohio Lottery today since they're currently not showing on the website how many tickets have been sold so far and they usually do show that but as of yesterday 12/1/09 they have only sold 49,991 tickets out of the 500,000 available.

I've got my $260 ready to roll now but I'm going to wait until the ticket sales get somewhere in the middle around the 200,000 tickets sold range and then buy 13 tickets in a row.  I hope this strategy works!  Yes Nod

Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #74411
                        May 10, 2009
                        71 Posts
                        Posted: December 16, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Ok All!  I purchased my New Year's Raffle tickets tonight!  I bought 13 of them!  $260 DOLLARS!!!  Ouch!  I tried buying a "block" of numbers but the clerk, who I know, could only puchase ONE at a time so some of my numbers have 1 up to 3 other numbers in between them but she went as fast as she could but with others buying them all over the State, you can only do what you can do.  Anyway, some of them are right in a row, so that's good!

I hope my luck changes this year by getting them all at once - we'll see!  Noel

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: December 16, 2009, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

Ok All!  I purchased my New Year's Raffle tickets tonight!  I bought 13 of them!  $260 DOLLARS!!!  Ouch!  I tried buying a "block" of numbers but the clerk, who I know, could only puchase ONE at a time so some of my numbers have 1 up to 3 other numbers in between them but she went as fast as she could but with others buying them all over the State, you can only do what you can do.  Anyway, some of them are right in a row, so that's good!

I hope my luck changes this year by getting them all at once - we'll see!  Noel

Good luck LotteryGuy! I gotta feelin' it's gonna pay off for ya. Let us know how you do.  Thumbs Up

--Edmund Burke

ohiopick3's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                            Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #3023
                            December 14, 2003
                            4166 Posts
                            Posted: December 16, 2009, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

I bought one the first day they went on sale. Nov. 20th.

I hope it is one of the lucky ones drawn Jan 2, 2010!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: December 17, 2009, 6:17 am - IP Logged

Q.  When does the New Year’s Raffle drawing occur?
                              A.  The New Year’s Raffle drawing will occur on Saturday, January 2, 2010.  The drawing date will not be extended. Results will be posted the same day on the Ohio Lottery's web site at 9:00 PM.

That's the part I like about the Ohio Raffle. They're not going to extend the drawing date and they tell you that up front. It's like a guessing game with the other states. I got half a mind to make a run up there and get a couple in case they don't sell out and the odds get better.

--Edmund Burke