Welcome Guest
You last visited February 25, 2018, 10:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is your response if your spouse or significant other claimed a lottery jackpot without you?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 8 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
sweetnae68's avatar - batman38
Arkansas
United States
Member #74229
May 5, 2009
385 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2009, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

Question-Question

Would it be ok with you if he chose to take the cash value instead of going on the payment plan?

I always say what is yours is half mine and what is mine is all mine. This statement ususally cracks my household up when I go into "MY WORD IS LAW" mode. Since I usually end up purchasing things that benefit the whole household including the retarded dog.

LOL

Perdue that is too funny!!!!!   I really wouldn't care if he took the cash payment at all.

$weetnae68

"In 2 Win!!!"

Monkey Butt, USA
    United States
    Member #54569
    August 23, 2007
    1124 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2009, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

I could care less if he claimed it because at the end of the day, A sista gonna get half because I got 20 years in it that tells me so........Lol.

You are a strong sista. I gotta admit that if I was in the wife's place half of the money the husband got would be spent on the following medical bills:

1. Proctologist: to remove my booted foot from his butt. Because he would be burping up the taste of shoe leather and toe jam for a long long time.
    2. Cardiologist: to keep me out of cardiac arrest everytime I think about how many millions he just handed back to the state.
    3. Plastic Surgeon: for the constant botox injections to keep my eyebrows in place. Because once I find out about the decision he made, my brows would be down to my wrists from surpressed ire. And you know every time you think of a boneheaded decision made by a spouse of your child the first thing that happens is the brows drop and are a pistol to pull up.
    4. Psychiatrist: to help me get over being pissed that I rank somewhere on the list after the daughter and the grandson.

Did you notice that he had no problem jumping in the car with the daughter to cash in the ticket and nowhere during the trip did either one bother to call or swing by the job to tell the wife what was going on? The the promise of the trip to Vegas with the grandson.  I mean this woman's working 3 jobs and she wasn't worthy to participate in one of the best things that ever happened in a marriage??!!

So much for the saying "for better or for worse". Seems like she is only good for the "for worse part". No I could not have been in this woman's shoes at that time and not have revealed some of my country-country-ghettoized upbringing. Not because of the money but because of the opportunity to share something special with the most important person in my life.

So I bow to the wife's strength and to your strength. Y'all are truely strong women.

Hit With Stick  This is me asking him what was he thinking.

Chair This is my response to his answer.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3329 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2009, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

i give that marrige 12 months tops lol

" Still swinging, still missing "
      2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
        Beautiful Florida
        United States
        Member #5709
        July 18, 2004
        21358 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2009, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

Question-Question

Would it be ok with you if he chose to take the cash value instead of going on the payment plan?

I always say what is yours is half mine and what is mine is all mine. This statement ususally cracks my household up when I go into "MY WORD IS LAW" mode. Since I usually end up purchasing things that benefit the whole household including the retarded dog.

LOL

Now,

How do you know the " Dog" is retarded ? Ya think he could be thinking the same thing..!!

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
          Santa Ana
          United States
          Member #71159
          February 20, 2009
          651 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2009, 12:14 am - IP Logged

Once the paperwork was completed at the Great Bend office, Damon called his wife Kathleen at work and told her she should come home.

So what, I don't see any big deal that he took care of the formality of the paperwork without her being there! Whoopee, besides he's the one who bought the $1 dollar qp ticket in the first place, now wasn't he! 

But if you look at the picture she's there holding the check with him, now isn't she! So in the LONG RUN she wasn't left out completely, now was she! NOPE!

So I don't see any problem in the least with what he did!

It doesn't matter who goes and claims the jackpot, just as long as the jackpot gets claimed!

If I bought my tickets with my money and I won, I'll go claim the winnings by myself if I wish too! 

And if my girlfriend bought her tickets with her money and won, she can go and claim the winnings by herself if she so wishes too!

And to save face here, we both live under the same roof and have a child together. But we have separate bank accounts and we split all of the household bills!

That's what I Truly call FREEDOM in AMERICA!

PartyUS Flag

I totally agree with you..What manner was that she was in the photo-op with him holding up the check.  Also, she worked two jobs so how would she have found the time with the formality of helping him with all that boring paperwork.  This should not be a real issue at all unless he had scheduled an appointment to see an divorce attorney 1st.  WinkMy dream is to call my husband by phone or come home in a limo to tell him we have finally won the big lottery and I know my dream is about to come trueHurray!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
            Gurnee, Illinois
            United States
            Member #49731
            February 12, 2007
            927 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2009, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  The funny thing is that when the day arrives when my six numbers match those drawn, I would claim the winnings along with my attorney in a trust.  I wiould let my wife know that I had won, but since she does not believe in playing the lottery, I am not concerned about her trying to attach herself to any of the winnings.  And if she did, I would call her a hypocrite.  How can you be against playing the lottery but willing to enjoy the payoff of winning it?  If it came to us getting a divorce, I would say I would be willing to "donate" her portion to a charity of my own choosing.  Then I would promptly designate that portion to my own charitable foundation!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8668 Posts
              Posted: November 20, 2009, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  The funny thing is that when the day arrives when my six numbers match those drawn, I would claim the winnings along with my attorney in a trust.  I wiould let my wife know that I had won, but since she does not believe in playing the lottery, I am not concerned about her trying to attach herself to any of the winnings.  And if she did, I would call her a hypocrite.  How can you be against playing the lottery but willing to enjoy the payoff of winning it?  If it came to us getting a divorce, I would say I would be willing to "donate" her portion to a charity of my own choosing.  Then I would promptly designate that portion to my own charitable foundation!

No matter what! she might remind you that what hers is hers and whats yours is hers too.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                Member #91
                January 19, 2002
                12903 Posts
                Posted: November 20, 2009, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

illinois Divorce law....Might want to come up with a different plan....you can call her a hypocrite,,,she'll still smile all the way to the bank. 

Marital Property vs Non-Marital Property

All property owned1 by you or your spouse, or in which you have any kind of interest, is either marital or non-marital "in character." In some cases, property may even be part marital and part non-marital in character2 but courts and the law try to avoid looking at things as grey when they may be reduced to black and white. In Illinois, non-marital property is, with a few exceptions,3 all premarital property (all you own free and clear up to the date of your marriage), all property that was received as a gift, or that was inherited. Marital property is everything else that you or your spouse (or both of you together) acquire after you say "I do." If you buy a winning lottery ticket on your way to the wedding ceremony, the prize money is your non-marital property. If you buy the lottery ticket on your way from the chapel to the reception, it is marital property. It's that simple. Likewise marital property earnings, such as rent from an apartment that itself is marital property is marital property.

An individual spouse may own marital property in his or her name alone. In many situations a spouse may, without the consent of the other spouse, dispose of his or her solely-owned, marital property without consequence. In some situations, however, what would otherwise be a legitimate and defendable transfer, may be undone by a divorce court or may bring with it (even years later) a valid claim for damages by the other spouse.4 If your case involved transfers of property from the marital estate (every case does) be sure to work with an intelligent, creative, and experienced attorney to examine or defend every significant transaction.

A couple may, at any time – before or after the marriage – agree as to how certain property should be divided. Pre- and post-nuptial agreements can be very flexible, very detailed, and very enforceable. The agreements must, however, follow certain formalities. A poorly crafted or executed pre-or post-nuptial agreement will face very close scrutiny and probably a strong challenge in any divorce. If you're considering a pre- or post-nuptial agreement, work with an experienced family law attorney to make certain that the agreement is effective, enforceable, and not susceptible to an attack.

In Illinois, non-marital property can change forms and still retain its non-marital character – as long as the ownership of the property isn't put into some form of co-ownership with the other spouse. For example: you own a car before the marriage. That makes it non-marital property. When you sell the car, the money you receive in the sale is still your non-marital property. If you take the proceeds from the sale and buy a computer, the computer is your non-marital property. If you sell the computer and put the proceeds from that sale into a joint (marital) checking account, you've probably converted the cash into marital property.

This process of defining property as being either marital or non-marital continues until a Judgment for Dissolution is entered – that's the point in time where a judge signs off on the judgment and the case is finally concluded. Many people make the mistake of thinking that property is non-marital if it is acquired after the filing of a divorce case, or after the parties separate. That's not true. Property acquired after your case has been filed is still marital property and that continues to be true until the judge bangs the gavel and says "you're divorced." If you move out of the home and buy a condo and fill it with furniture and artwork, the condo and all its contents are still presumed to be marital property. If you buy a winning lottery ticket on your way out of court right after your case has been finalized, the winnings are yours and yours alone.

Keep in mind that all these rules and definitions result only in presumptions – not conclusions. The court presumes property to be either marital or non-marital; and the presumptions may be rebutted by either party with the right kind of evidence.

The court must give all non-marital property to its rightful owner – the court may not divide non-marital property. All marital property and marital property earnings must be divided between the parties equitably – though not necessarily equally. There is no presumption in Illinois that property is to be divided 50 / 50. Indeed, most cases see some property division ratio other than 50 / 50.

To assist you in determining what is marital property and want is non-marital property Illinois Divorce has created a Marital Property Balance Sheet for you to use as a starting point.

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                  Magnolia, Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #18795
                  July 20, 2005
                  789 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2009, 9:43 am - IP Logged

illinois Divorce law....Might want to come up with a different plan....you can call her a hypocrite,,,she'll still smile all the way to the bank. 

Marital Property vs Non-Marital Property

All property owned1 by you or your spouse, or in which you have any kind of interest, is either marital or non-marital "in character." In some cases, property may even be part marital and part non-marital in character2 but courts and the law try to avoid looking at things as grey when they may be reduced to black and white. In Illinois, non-marital property is, with a few exceptions,3 all premarital property (all you own free and clear up to the date of your marriage), all property that was received as a gift, or that was inherited. Marital property is everything else that you or your spouse (or both of you together) acquire after you say "I do." If you buy a winning lottery ticket on your way to the wedding ceremony, the prize money is your non-marital property. If you buy the lottery ticket on your way from the chapel to the reception, it is marital property. It's that simple. Likewise marital property earnings, such as rent from an apartment that itself is marital property is marital property.

An individual spouse may own marital property in his or her name alone. In many situations a spouse may, without the consent of the other spouse, dispose of his or her solely-owned, marital property without consequence. In some situations, however, what would otherwise be a legitimate and defendable transfer, may be undone by a divorce court or may bring with it (even years later) a valid claim for damages by the other spouse.4 If your case involved transfers of property from the marital estate (every case does) be sure to work with an intelligent, creative, and experienced attorney to examine or defend every significant transaction.

A couple may, at any time – before or after the marriage – agree as to how certain property should be divided. Pre- and post-nuptial agreements can be very flexible, very detailed, and very enforceable. The agreements must, however, follow certain formalities. A poorly crafted or executed pre-or post-nuptial agreement will face very close scrutiny and probably a strong challenge in any divorce. If you're considering a pre- or post-nuptial agreement, work with an experienced family law attorney to make certain that the agreement is effective, enforceable, and not susceptible to an attack.

In Illinois, non-marital property can change forms and still retain its non-marital character – as long as the ownership of the property isn't put into some form of co-ownership with the other spouse. For example: you own a car before the marriage. That makes it non-marital property. When you sell the car, the money you receive in the sale is still your non-marital property. If you take the proceeds from the sale and buy a computer, the computer is your non-marital property. If you sell the computer and put the proceeds from that sale into a joint (marital) checking account, you've probably converted the cash into marital property.

This process of defining property as being either marital or non-marital continues until a Judgment for Dissolution is entered – that's the point in time where a judge signs off on the judgment and the case is finally concluded. Many people make the mistake of thinking that property is non-marital if it is acquired after the filing of a divorce case, or after the parties separate. That's not true. Property acquired after your case has been filed is still marital property and that continues to be true until the judge bangs the gavel and says "you're divorced." If you move out of the home and buy a condo and fill it with furniture and artwork, the condo and all its contents are still presumed to be marital property. If you buy a winning lottery ticket on your way out of court right after your case has been finalized, the winnings are yours and yours alone.

Keep in mind that all these rules and definitions result only in presumptions – not conclusions. The court presumes property to be either marital or non-marital; and the presumptions may be rebutted by either party with the right kind of evidence.

The court must give all non-marital property to its rightful owner – the court may not divide non-marital property. All marital property and marital property earnings must be divided between the parties equitably – though not necessarily equally. There is no presumption in Illinois that property is to be divided 50 / 50. Indeed, most cases see some property division ratio other than 50 / 50.

To assist you in determining what is marital property and want is non-marital property Illinois Divorce has created a Marital Property Balance Sheet for you to use as a starting point.

I can agree that all of that holds true! But it can be tested and believe me it's been done in most states that have the same marital laws! I have known a few that did just that in Calif. when getting a divorce and you know what, the judge didn't follow the marital law and made the party that tested the law pay for it by themselves (joint credit card charging to the max and beyond). So just to be fair here not all Marital Laws that are on the books are followed to the "T"!

What happened is the man was forced out of his home with nothing but his clothes and had to try to live some how, so he charged only household goods (dishes, furniture, bed & bedding etc) for his apartment and the judge made it his bill and not a joint bill as the law states! Remember it's the judges sole discretion as to what part of the marital law he'll apply and to what extent it will be applied! No laws that are on the books in any country are applied as written and equally between any offender (man or woman) of said laws!

Anyone who wishes to skirt the law can! And one-way to do it is, not say a word to anyone about your win and use a smart attorney with lawful connections and setup a off shore trust that doesn't reciprocate information with the IRS! That way US Marital law doesn't apply and no judge here can do anything to bring that trust fund here to the US for proper division in a divorce!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2009, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

Q: What is your response if your spouse or significant other claimed a lottery jackpot without you? What?

A: Joint Checking. Wink

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10592 Posts
                      Posted: November 23, 2009, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Q: What is your response if your spouse or significant other claimed a lottery jackpot without you? 

A: It would have been nice to share in the jackpot, but GODS OF FREEDOM I'M YOURS!

Green laugh

J/K

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                        A long and winding road
                        United States
                        Member #17084
                        June 10, 2005
                        5223 Posts
                        Posted: November 23, 2009, 6:13 pm - IP Logged

Barista- I whole heartedly beleive in separate accounts. Your post was most valid and only for those who are adults that accept there responsibilty unto themselves and the children.

My first thought and true action would be to congradulate the significate other and wish him the best. I do not have any ties to his finances or his life choices so why should cashing in a ticket be any different. ITs his to do as he pleases. Hooray for him I'd say!

I am truly saddened though on some of the comments.....particularly made by my own gender. Maybe I was just raised to pay my way in life...and so it goes. A marriage license wont ever change that philosophy...

~~ Quiet zone...

~~222,1402, 2441, 4844, 4944, 17458, 08880 0222 19841

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                          Bearflag Republic, Los Angeles Division
                          United States
                          Member #83350
                          December 5, 2009
                          1359 Posts
                          Posted: December 20, 2009, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I don't have a spouse or a significant other.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                            Member #32537
                            February 12, 2006
                            700 Posts
                            Posted: December 20, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged

my gf would not know,  she told me it was a waste of money

alright, so be it for you then

she won't know, i just hide it in a trust

thro i think she would find out on her own maybe, their be no way to hide the stuff onless..............

onless i get a 2nd home nearby, buy ever thing of my dreams for my 2nd home, while she at work, or doing or own girl  things, i be partying it up in my new pad

have to keep up image,keep my current stuff ,nonething new at old home,  and have 2 diff lifes,

hell think of it as cheating on your girl, But no cheating part for being sneaky double life

then WHILE am being all sneaky:"she didn't buy the ticket atfer all" i will Test her

i ask her if she wanted to have kids, if she said Yes, then i go to step 2.

it will ether end in total fight/breakup over coming months, or if i get to the point of asking her to marry me, and she said yes, i be like,  Guest what, you just marryed a very rich man

and now make baby's

" ofc make her sign whatever lawyers call , a No money for you if it ends badly agreement, you keep your stuff i keep mine, no 50/50 of each other stuff"

and i demand full future rights to any kids in writing if a break up happened LOL, i be the mr evil paper work guy"

if she asks why i hide it form her to atfer the point of asking her to marry me

,  i just say  i was not sure if you was the one for me at that moment , but now i am sure, so am telling you now,  plus you said it was a waste, so i  had to teach you a lessonHit With Stick

marcie's avatar - Lottery-011.jpg
                              Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #49980
                              February 21, 2007
                              35168 Posts
                              Posted: December 20, 2009, 3:57 am - IP Logged

Yes by law you automatically win too! Even if you all have split up, and don't have a Divorce it is your too.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.