Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery donation decision

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 7 years ago by ConstantlyB.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you were the decision maker of the Salvation Army, would you accept a 10 million dollar donation?

Yes [ 34 ]  [79.07%]
No [ 6 ]  [13.95%]
Maybe [ 3 ]  [6.98%]
Total Valid Votes [ 43 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: November 24, 2009, 12:46 am - IP Logged

A few years ago, the Salvation army declined a donation from a person who won the lottery. 10 million dollar's worth.

The poll is asking whether you would accept the donation if you were the head person in charge.

If you chose "NO" and agree with the Army's decision, please explain why.

Thanx.

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2009, 7:06 am - IP Logged

Well, when I win my millions, I will give to somebody else!

MarkP

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      11936 Posts
      Posted: November 24, 2009, 7:24 am - IP Logged

I do not know the inner workings of the Salvation Army...yearly revenues, major contributors, and alliances.  I know them as shopping mall bell ringers and second hand item collectors....I think the answer is not as simple as yes and no....A 10 million dollar donation from a lottery winner that wants no fan fair and publicity is different from one who wants to shout it to the stars....You might lose more than you gain with the latter.  

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        CA
        United States
        Member #57222
        December 23, 2007
        587 Posts
        Posted: November 24, 2009, 7:24 am - IP Logged

Sure I would, why not?  Did the Salvation Army give reason to their refusal?  I must have missed that one.   I have wondered if my church would refuse a donation WHEN I win.   But even though I love my church, if they did refuse it, there are alot of local women and animal shelter that I bet wouldnt.

JAP69's avatar - alas
          South Carolina
          United States
          Member #6
          November 4, 2001
          8790 Posts
          Posted: November 24, 2009, 8:07 am - IP Logged

A few years ago, the Salvation army declined a donation from a person who won the lottery. 10 million dollar's worth.

The poll is asking whether you would accept the donation if you were the head person in charge.

Thanx.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/813295/posts

"The money that Mr. Rush received was via the lottery: We preach against gambling," said spokeswoman Maribeth Shanahan, who spoke on behalf of Cleo Damon, who heads the Collier County chapter and decided not to accept the donation. "To accept it would be to talk out both sides of our mouth."

MAGA

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2659 Posts
            Posted: November 24, 2009, 10:29 am - IP Logged

Roll Eyes having spent the couple of years working at thar thrift stores... I know for a fact I wouldn't put it past them to talk out both sides and invent a 3rd just for the grins of it

course I've seen what became of the few food donations 

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49813 Posts
              Posted: November 24, 2009, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Thanx.

They said NO: Because they Talk-the-Talk and they Walk-the-Walk:

The Salvation Army takes a stand against gambling that involves the act of risking money, property or something of value on an activity that gives material advantage based on chance and at the expense of others. The Salvation Army opposes gambling on spiritual and moral grounds and because of its tragic social implications.

The Salvation Army is deeply concerned that gambling, used by governments and organizations to raise revenues, has become an accepted aspect of our daily lives. Gambling undermines the true spirit of charitable giving. The Salvation Army's experience confirms that there are those who disregard personal and family needs to indulge in gambling and may become addicted. Even in its simplest form gambling can lead to excess and undermine the personality and character of the individual. The Salvation Army therefore cautions governments and individuals of the inherent dangers of gambling.

Salvation Army soldiers pledge to abstain from gambling, based on our belief that all our resources belong to God and that we depend on Him through faith and work. This position is supported by Scriptural teachings (Timothy 6:3-10; 17-19,  Thessalonians 3:6-13, Amos 6:1-6) concerning the responsibility to use money productively, to guard against greed, and not to gain at the expense of others.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10354 Posts
                Posted: November 24, 2009, 1:55 pm - IP Logged

JAP69,

Thanks for finding the article.

hearsetrax,

Thanks for the insight.

Raven62,

That all sounds good on paper, but how many people could have beneftited from the $10,000,000 they refused? That's a significant amounf of money.

From your post quoting the SA

"....concerning the responsibility to use money productively, to guard against greed, and not to gain at the expense of others."

What about the downtrodden and those in need not benefitting because of the stubborness and pride of others, in theis case, the SA?

Two street people:

"What happened to that cold weather shelter they were going to build so we could sleep without getting frostbit?"

"Somebody won the lottery and tried to give them the money for one but they refused it. I guess they'd rather we freeze."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8364 Posts
                  Posted: November 24, 2009, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I admit at first glance i put maybe this was before i went to their web site and read a few things about the organization. As an officer i would have to stand beside the beliefs of the organization. And vote no but there are circumstances where by which i might want to put it to a vote.

Many things would require me as an officer to do this one being the organization is about to collapse because the monetary donations at some point in time might be so low as to require funding to keep the organization alive. If the organization were on the verge of collapse and all avenues of approach were taken to try and get outside funding failed.

Consolidation of property's owned or leased by the SA wouldn't put a dent in the budget.

If the lottery donation came as an anonymous donation the organization wouldn't be aware of said win and would probably accept the donation. The members of the organization allowed a one time donation from a lottery winner. In order to keep the organization from collapsing.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: November 24, 2009, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

They said NO: Because they Talk-the-Talk and they Walk-the-Walk:

The Salvation Army takes a stand against gambling that involves the act of risking money, property or something of value on an activity that gives material advantage based on chance and at the expense of others. The Salvation Army opposes gambling on spiritual and moral grounds and because of its tragic social implications.

The Salvation Army is deeply concerned that gambling, used by governments and organizations to raise revenues, has become an accepted aspect of our daily lives. Gambling undermines the true spirit of charitable giving. The Salvation Army's experience confirms that there are those who disregard personal and family needs to indulge in gambling and may become addicted. Even in its simplest form gambling can lead to excess and undermine the personality and character of the individual. The Salvation Army therefore cautions governments and individuals of the inherent dangers of gambling.

Salvation Army soldiers pledge to abstain from gambling, based on our belief that all our resources belong to God and that we depend on Him through faith and work. This position is supported by Scriptural teachings (Timothy 6:3-10; 17-19,  Thessalonians 3:6-13, Amos 6:1-6) concerning the responsibility to use money productively, to guard against greed, and not to gain at the expense of others.

Lottery revenue goes to schools. That's not such a bad thing.

Also, what if someone who made millions in the stock market and decided to donate? Isn't that gambling?

Surely i can understand that some folks may put their priorities in the wrong place when gambling and become irresponsible with their monies, but those types of ill behavior can be found in all areas of life. To refuse money because the minority misuses their funds is not an acceptable reason. Like coin toss said, SA would let the homeless freeze than to accept money.

It's like saying I won't accept a car as a gift because there are people out there who drive drunk, therefore it's an evil contraption that entices folks to drive in a dangerous environment, potentially putting me at risk of an accident. So cars are EVIL....Rediculous.

This is exactly what I meant in my first reply. The fanatical idealogies, inconsistencies, and hypocrisies of organized religion are baffling and sometimes cruel. And I also wrote that I did admire their effort to help the unfortunate. But this kind of behavior in my opinion is just plain dumb.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49813 Posts
                      Posted: November 24, 2009, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

JAP69,

Thanks for finding the article.

hearsetrax,

Thanks for the insight.

Raven62,

That all sounds good on paper, but how many people could have beneftited from the $10,000,000 they refused? That's a significant amounf of money.

From your post quoting the SA

"....concerning the responsibility to use money productively, to guard against greed, and not to gain at the expense of others."

What about the downtrodden and those in need not benefitting because of the stubborness and pride of others, in theis case, the SA?

Two street people:

"What happened to that cold weather shelter they were going to build so we could sleep without getting frostbit?"

"Somebody won the lottery and tried to give them the money for one but they refused it. I guess they'd rather we freeze."

If you don't agree with the Gambling Policy of the Salvation Army, then do something about it: Take some action: Become a Barrier Braker and change their Gambling Policies!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

cheryl59's avatar - center
                        Va Beach
                        United States
                        Member #46651
                        September 20, 2006
                        1858 Posts
                        Posted: November 24, 2009, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

I believe that God truly blesses Us in many different ways! some Blessings may not always be wrapped up with pretty paper and a bow tied on it... something made this person donate that wonderful amount of money to the SA  how do we know that God did not prompt this person to go to the SA and make that donation? I'm sure their are a whole lot of other agencies and charities that will gladly take his generous donation, the SA is as needy an organization as the rest, especially with our current economic problems (at my job the employees are always ask to make donations to their favorite charities (by the way, SA is one of the agencies we have dealt with) I feel bad for the hundreds of needy people that could have prospered from that gift.

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                          PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 25, 2009, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

I give a lot to the SA, but in this case they are stupid idiots. Take the donation and help others. $10 million should delete any morals.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                            Tx
                            United States
                            Member #4570
                            May 4, 2004
                            5180 Posts
                            Posted: November 26, 2009, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I give a lot to the SA, but in this case they are stupid idiots. Take the donation and help others. $10 million should delete any morals.

This is a lottery forum and this is not the place for this, but it is related in a way to what you are talking about here.

If Satan himself does good, then he is doing the work of God, even if he is the Devil himself.

If a Divine being or any body else, does evil then he, she, or them are doing the work of Satan regardless of who he or she is.

If the Satan gives money to the Salvation Army, I say take it, it is not who gave it to you or to them, but what are you going to do with it that really counts.

Money of itself is not evil.

And money is not the root of all evil.

Satan, angels and humans turn things into evil things, even if those things are not evil of themselves.

Greed turns money into an evil thing, lust for power turns money and properties into evil things.

Gambling and lottery gambling are not evil things of themselves, but some people's motivations might be evil, some people might gamble mostly for fun, entertainment, as a past time, or whatever, gambling might not be an evil thing for everybody and some people might do it in the hope that they might have a little more money to buy food with and or for paying the bills and or money for helping themselves and others.

Some might do it for the love of money and of power that money might bring or for doing more evil with the money.

Maybe I went way too far, but what is done is done.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8364 Posts
                              Posted: November 26, 2009, 1:17 am - IP Logged

under no circumstance will the salvation army knowingly accept money from a person or persons who won money from the lottery.

They are an Evangelical Christian group.

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/www_usn_2.nsf/vw-local/About-us

Gambling

The Salvation Army believes that gambling engages its participants and promoters in an exercise of greed contrary to biblical moral teaching. Gambling at best wastes personal resources, and at worst afflicts millions through a lifestyle of compulsive behaviors and destructive influences. We believe gambling is wrong, regardless of any perceived benefit of entertainment, charity, or personal gain, even when its destructive influences may not be seen on an individual basis.

The Salvation Army prohibits gambling in its programs, properties, and fund-raising activities. Its officers and soldiers personally vow not to gamble. The Army urges all individuals and institutions to recognize the moral and social costs of gambling in the United States.

Official sanction and public acceptance of gambling is, in the opinion of The Salvation Army, contrary to the Christian principles to which we subscribe.

Note: The Columbia encyclopedia defines gambling as the "betting of money or valuables on, and often participation in, games of chance..." Some examples of gambling include casino games, state lotteries, and betting on sports.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.